Telesio Galilei Academy of Science a Fraud?

I couldn't find any peer reviewed (or other) scientific papers by Francesco Fucilla (or Franco Fucilla) either. So, I'll have to ask this too: how can someone become a "professor" in anything without writing a single scientific paper?

On Steriwave's website they say:
He [Fucilla] is the Inventor of the Microwave Linear Heater and other energy related inventions.

I did a search on this invention and sure enough, there is a patent on this thing by Fucilla

_http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=GB&NR=2354688

Microwave continuous flow water heater
Page bookmark GB2354688 (A) - Microwave continuous flow water heater
Inventor(s): FUCILLA FRANCO [GB] +
Applicant(s): FUCILLA FRANCO [GB] +
Classification:
- international: H05B6/78; (IPC1-7): H05B6/78; H05B6/80
- European: H05B6/80F
Application number: GB20000028807 20001127
Priority number(s): GB20000008769 20000410
Also published as:
GB2354688 (B)

The :Microwave continuous flow and linear water heater consists of a closed chamber into which microwaves at a frequency of 2450 mhz. are introduced via two magnetrons, the heater being characterised by a chamber of truncated conical section having a concave base wherein no adjacent section are at right angles thus preventing generation of refraction and diffraction waves. The base of the chamber serves as a reflecting dish to direct energy towards the silica based flexible coil disposed against the chamber wall. The silica based coil is spiral led inside the chamber and is terminated to inlet and outlet glands. These provide for a continuous flow of water to pass through the coil in any direction depending upon the application and/ or the plumbing arrangements in which it is being used.

But a peculiar thing, while I searched for this invention I came across this discussion [my bold]:

_http://mail.westmont.edu/pipermail/aeronca/2003-March/021962.html
To: <aeronca@westmont.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 7:11 AM
Subject: RE: [f-AA] FAA PMA

> Bumper,
> G'Day, I'm back. I took out a patent in 1986 for a "microwave continuous
> flow Water Heater" in 1986. I wanted to heat my swimming pool without the
> salt water coming in contact with metals.
I built the thing, patented it,
> it worked and I forgot about it. Five years later a firm in Western Australia
> wanted to heat nasty corrosive things in an industrial process and out of
> the blue offered me $50,000 to use the patent
. What could I do? I banked
> the money. Never underestimate the power of your immagination.
> Tim
>

Remember this?:

Added: (Wed Jun 07 2006)

Pressbox (Press Release) - Ascension Securities Ltd are pleased to announce that they will be acting as corporate advisers to Allied Oil & Gas Plc, which was incorporated in March 2006 in order to carry out oil and gas exploration and production activities within its newly acquired concessions in the Perth Basin, Western Australia. These areas have considerable potential for the discovery and recovery of oil and gas.

And also, it seems like Yellow Energy Plc has some gold and uranium business in Western Australia:

_http://www.yellow-energy-plc.com/Yellow_Energy_2/Yellow_News.html

Don't you find all this a bit curious...?

As late as in 2010 Rodrigues wrote this:

_http://drmyronevans.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/alyingbyrodrigues.pdf

Dr. Waldyr A. Rodrigues Jr. Professor ofMathematical Physics
January, 12 2010

UNICAMP

Dear Shareholders and Directors

I am truly sad to see that the great effort of our managing Director Francesco Fucilla in building many great innovative projects, are being unlawfully poisoned by the lies of a blackmailer, Mr. M. W . Evans, a truly dangerous man, that according to my opinion should be dealt with by the Police.

Indeed, as stated already by all the Directors and secretary, there can be no doubt as to Mr Evans unlawful! intentions to destroy Steriwave, the Fucillas and all of the shareholders investments.

I must say that no one can understand why the police have not intervened yet, since the evidence of Mr. Evans criminal damage and extortion has already been proved beyond any doubt by documents made public by Francesco Fucilla.

There is no doubt in my mind that Mr. Evans has severely damaged to company's reputation, and eventually its future. Hence there is no doubt that my vote as Director is one of elect a criminal prosecution .

My vote is also to dismiss Mr Evans, and re-dismiss him again and again, as many times as necessary (according to the law), in order that there could be no doubt as to a case of criminal damage.

I am horrified as to the false statements made by Mr Evans to the Employment tribunal, for in the last two years, Mr. Evans sent to the several people hundreds of e-mails concerning Francesco Fucilla great humanity and generosity.

Waldyr A. Rodrigues Jr. Director Steriwave Plc

The odd thing about this FF character is the huge discrepancy between what he says he wants and how he goes about it. If you want a thread on a forum deleted you would not stir everybody up on the same thread. It is clear this would have the exact opposite effect. The whole thing appears like an act, the spelling and grammar errors, the tone and condescension - part of that act, all purposeful in my opinion. It is as if he wants to discredit himself and the firms he is connected to in a public way. Although not necessarily in the mainstream public view. So if that's true what is the real intention? The better question might be is who benefits from this? Who benefits from what appears to be the setting up of multiple failed and fraudulent businesses in these type of fields? For example seems to be so much disinformation / hoaxes / frauds surrounding alternative energy on the net that the concept is almost synonymous with "conspiracy theory". Anyway these where just things that came to my mind reading through the whole thread.

alkhemst said:
The odd thing about this FF character is the huge discrepancy between what he says he wants and how he goes about it. If you want a thread on a forum deleted you would not stir everybody up on the same thread. It is clear this would have the exact opposite effect. The whole thing appears like an act, the spelling and grammar errors, the tone and condescension - part of that act, all purposeful in my opinion. It is as if he wants to discredit himself and the firms he is connected to in a public way. Although not necessarily in the mainstream public view. So if that's true what is the real intention?

You are projecting - assuming that he thinks/acts like a normal person would.

Jeremy F Kreuz said:
At least some of these Fucalli companies are audited by the same bookkeeping and audit bureau

The company has a website with only a basic screen and contact system. All the subscreens do not exist. Also on the contact screen a verification code is asked but not given (MAybe it pops up when all info is filled in). On first glance though the contact seems not possible. Another Clue?

http://pritchardfellows.com/

In my opinion that sure looks like a company set up just to have the appearance of a real company. I bet it is owned by the same person that owns the companies it 'audits'.

From http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/02/26/plan-for-new-welsh-university-91466-20523036/

Plan for new Welsh university

by Martin Shipton, Western Mail
Feb 26 2008

A CONTROVERSIAL academic has announced plans to establish his own university in Wales, funded by an oil multi-millionaire living in Florida.

But last night the Assembly Government cast doubts over whether the new institution will be able to award degrees.

Myron Evans, a doctor of chemistry living at Craigcefnparc near Swansea, has issued invitations to a launch event for the Myron Evans University, to be held at Craig-y-Nos Castle, near Ystradgynlais, Powys, in July.

Dr Evans, who holds degrees from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, was at one time a junior research fellow at Wolfson College, Oxford, and has lectured in the physics department at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

He holds a civil list pension, but has provoked heated debate in scientific circles. He claims to have formulated a “unified field theory” which will revolutionise modern physics, and while he has the strong support of some academics, the theory has been dismissed by others.

In an email from Dr Evans circulated to a wide range of recipients including First Minister Rhodri Morgan and the Western Mail, he stated, “All professorial staff will be tenured, at the full professorial rate of about £65,000 a year, plus pension and benefits ... the university will take graduate students and ... all professors elect and other staff can start recruiting and selecting graduates – that will be part of their duties.

“I also discussed the formation of a new Welsh language university, and I will phone up the Craig-y-Nos staff to see if they are interested in selling. At present it is owned by a hotel chain.

“Shortly the new university will be advertised worldwide for students and post doctorals, and contracts can be offered by email to faculty and staff who have accepted.”

We contacted Dr Evans to ask him how the university, which he plans for a science park in Aberystwyth, would be funded.

He responded, “From a generous oil multi-millionaire who saw our work on www.aias.us [one of Dr Evans’s websites].”

The benefactor, Francesco Fucilla, told the Western Mail in an email, “I was born in Cosenza, Italy. Most of my life worked as a consultant geophysicist (mainly seismic data processing and interpretation) and giving courses for chemists, physicists, mathematicians etc, etc in applied geophysics around the world.

“I am a writer in philosophy and sciences, published many books. I am also an inventor ... and finally an entrepreneur.

“From time to time I also give lectures in political sciences, civil and criminal law and economics.”

When we asked Mr Fucilla, who is head of geophysics at the Institute of Basic Research in Palm Beach, California, how much money he would be putting in to the Myron Evans University, he stated, “The funding of the project at this time is unknown .”

Asked when it was intended to invite students to apply, how much their fees would be, how many staff and students he envisaged, and whether there was a business plan, Mr Fucilla said, “These are issues that would be favourably considered when the business plan has been put together. I understand it’s on its way to us soon, and I would then be in a better position to give details.”

An Assembly Government spokesman said last night, “The UK has a well-deserved reputation worldwide for providing high quality and reputable higher education. To continue this success, for an organisation to offer a degree qualification it must have been granted powers by either Royal Charter, Act of Parliament or the Privy Council. It is an offence in the UK for any organisation to offer a degree qualification without these powers.

“The Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) is responsible for safeguarding the public interest in sound standards of higher education qualifications. Since 1999, the QAA has been responsible for offering confidential guidance to the Privy Council on applications from organisations seeking degree-awarding powers and/or university title.

“The Welsh Assembly Government is not aware of any application by Professor Evans to the Privy Council to apply for degree-awarding powers or university title.”

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/02/26/plan-for-new-welsh-university-91466-20523036/

[...] When we asked Mr Fucilla, who is head of geophysics at the Institute of Basic Research in Palm Beach, California, how much money he would be putting in to the Myron Evans University, he stated, “The funding of the project at this time is unknown .”

A mistake in location? I can't seem to find said institute. :huh:

This company is unrelated, but the financial journalist gives a few basic tips that could apply for innovative stuff:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2119843/TONY-HETHERINGTON-Watch-hot-air-carbon-sales.html

By Tony Hetherington

PUBLISHED: 22:22 GMT, 24 March 2012 | UPDATED: 22:22 GMT, 24 March 2012

C.H.writes: I have received very high-pressure phone calls from World Carbon Limited trying to persuade me to invest in carbon credits. The traders have an answer for everything. It seems I am missing out on the best investment since Gordon Brown sold the country’s gold at a few hundred pounds an ounce! I feel that the harder the sell, the better the deal is for the seller. Am I right to be suspicious?

Anyone who is offered carbon credits as an investment needs to be very, very cautious. This is a new market with barely any regulation.

Lots of firms have sprung up in the knowledge that although they are selling investments, very few need a licence from the Financial Services Authority because when rules were drawn up, carbon credits had not been invented.

In a nutshell, these are certificates that allow companies to pump carbon into the air by offsetting that carbon against something non-polluting such as a forestry project, or by buying certificates from a business that has reduced its emissions.

World Carbon offered you credits linked to a generator project in China. The key thing to know is that there are two types of credit – certified and voluntary. Governments and big businesses deal in certified credits.

There is no proper stock exchange-type trading system for voluntary credits. And, of course, you can guess which type of credit it is that firms offer to ordinary investors.

World Carbon talks about the high level of returns available, but if you plough through its terms and conditions you will find that Section 14 warns: ‘You may lose the whole amount paid.’

This is commendably frank, so I asked the company’s director, Lee Thompson, whether the high returns referred to certified credits and not the voluntary credits he is selling.

Is there a genuine two-way market that would let you turn your credits back into cash, I enquired. And what experience does he have of running an investment business?

Thompson, who describes himself as an insolvency practitioner and has never been registered as a financial adviser, did not reply. Instead, I received a huffy letter from his lawyer, Anthony Field of Rosenblatt Solicitors.

He told me: ‘World Carbon Limited is a carbon credit trader in the Compliance and Voluntary market. Our [sic] terms and conditions clearly state the risks and these are signed by all our clients.’

Potential clients are also told investments may take one or two years to realise, he explained. And Field added: ‘Prior to the execution of any transaction, the FSA-registered custodian of the credits, Citadel Trustees Limited, conducts a compliance call to ensure that the client is fully aware of the risks.’

Finally, Field fired a legal warning shot across Financial Mail’s bows, telling me his client would be ‘considering very carefully’ anything we published.

Leaving aside the fact that Field’s letter failed to answer questions I put to Thompson, the picture of a company that ensures its clients understand they could lose every penny was only slightly dented when four days later Rosenblatts wrote again.

Citadel Trustees does not in fact make any check calls to clients, the new letter said. That was a mistake. There are calls to check that World Carbon has conducted itself correctly – but those calls are made by, er, World Carbon.

So what does Citadel do? Apparently, it simply holds the carbon credits for both World Carbon and its clients. And that’s it. But this leaves Citadel in an odd position.

It is licensed by the FSA, which has issued a strong warning about carbon credits. Not every scheme is a scam, it says, but investors may not be able to sell their credits at any price.

So should Citadel be involved at all? Director Anna Rickard told me: ‘It would only be unethical for Citadel Trustees to knowingly and intentionally involve itself in a scam.’

However, this is not quite the FSA view. The City watchdog said: ‘Firms should be aware that there are some unscrupulous unauthorised investment firms that will try to get advertising or other promotional material approved by authorised firms to appear more legitimate.’

Of course, the FSA is not saying that World Carbon is unscrupulous. But it is saying that Citadel cannot sit back and close its eyes and ears.

It must make its own due diligence enquiries to ensure that investors are not disadvantaged in exactly the way described in the FSA’s alert. I hope it does, and I look forward to seeing the results. Meanwhile, extreme caution remains the order of the day.

Perceval said:
Jeremy F Kreuz said:
At least some of these Fucalli companies are audited by the same bookkeeping and audit bureau

The company has a website with only a basic screen and contact system. All the subscreens do not exist. Also on the contact screen a verification code is asked but not given (MAybe it pops up when all info is filled in). On first glance though the contact seems not possible. Another Clue?

http://pritchardfellows.com/

Now that definitely looks like a company set up just to have the appearance of a real company. I bet it is owned by the same person that owns the companies it 'audits'.

The only company reports I see on the internet that come up when digging on Pritchard Fellows and Co are Fucalli companies. Almost no other information can be found about Pritchard Fellows and Co besides location and phone number.

Besides the three or four financial reports to companies linked to Fucalli the only other information I found is one page that lists a couple people in relation to Pritchard Fellows and Co in about 20 pages of google searches:

http://www.cdrex.com/pritchard-fellows-co-ltd-3129034.html
SUNIL PHAKKEY - Director
CHANDRA MOHAN BOWRY - Director

Edit added: At the same link above company documents can be purchased.

Psyche said:
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2008/02/26/plan-for-new-welsh-university-91466-20523036/

[...] When we asked Mr Fucilla, who is head of geophysics at the Institute of Basic Research in Palm Beach, California, how much money he would be putting in to the Myron Evans University, he stated, “The funding of the project at this time is unknown .”

So far, I can't find the institute anywhere. Also, I may be mistaken, but I've never heard of Palm Beach, CA. There is a Palm Beach, FL and Palm Springs, CA as far as I know.

Psyche said:

Here it is: _http://www.i-b-r.org/ir00008.htm in Palm Harbour, Florida.

Approaching Infinity said:

That link was dead for me. But this one works _http://www.i-b-r.org/ The homepage for Institute for Basic Reasearch, in Tarpon Springs, Florida. On the google search, this was also a hit on the first page
_http://www.i-b-r.org/Rutherford_Santilli_neutron.htm

Lilou said:
Approaching Infinity said:

That link was dead for me. But this one works _http://www.i-b-r.org/ The homepage for Institute for Basic Reasearch, in Tarpon Springs, Florida. On the google search, this was also a hit on the first page
_http://www.i-b-r.org/Rutherford_Santilli_neutron.htm

Weird, link works for me. Anyways, from the 'About Us' page:

A view of one of the beautiful beaches near Palm Harbor, Florida, the new location of the Institute for Basic Research since 1990. The area is located midway on the West Coast of Florida, a few miles from Tampa International Airport, near various academic institutions. The new location of the Institute has been the coordination center for some of the most advanced research in contemporary sciences (see the section on Open Research Problems).

The advent of the electronic era permitted in 1990 the moving of the IBR from Cambridge, MA, to Palm Harbor, FL, a sunny and peaceful village on the Gulf of Mexico, a few miles north of the international community of Clearwater Beach, a few miles West of Tampa International Airport, and near several academic institutions.
In its new location, the IBR has continued to grow both in membership as well as in diversification of advanced inquiries. In fact, the electronic mail has removed the need for experts in a given field to be necessarily under one single roof, while the advent of scientific archives in the www has permitted the conduction of research anywhere desired.
The new location of the IBR now house the editorial offices of the Hadronic Journal, Hadronic Journal Supplement, and Algebras, Groups and Geometries. The new location also serves as coordinating center for research as well as logistic center for the organization of international meetings.

There are so many companies, both failed and active, that I'm having to put them all in a spreadsheet to keep track of them.

What I'm seeing so far looks like, in my opinion, Francesco Fucilla, William Alexander Fucilla, Robert Joseph Fucilla and Anthony Nickolaus Fucilla will start up a company, sell penny stocks for it and/or solicit funding, post a bunch of on-line propaganda about it (usually citing their other companies as references) then dump it and start on a new name.

I'm still learning all about the classic "penny stock" scam, but if that's not what they're doing, I'll eat my mouse.

MOD NOTE: Robert Fucilla, through his lawyer, denies validity of these opinions and of this analysis of available data.

http://www.hallbrookpartners.co.uk/firmsInDefault.aspx

Regulated Firms in ‘Default’

The following firms were declared in ‘default’ by the FSCS

The following firms have been well documented in the financial press, please click on the firm name for a synopsis of events;

Pacific Continental Securities (UK) Ltd (PCS)

Pacific Continental Securities (UK) Ltd (PCS) was no stranger to controversy. Having courted negative publicity and bad press since 2004, PCS soon acquired the unwanted accolade of being dubbed ‘Britain’s riskiest stockbroker.’

In May 2007, the FSA became concerned about PCS’ ability to remain adequately capitalised as a result of the level of customer complaints that were referred to the Financial Services Ombudsman for which PCS was advised by its accountants to make a £2,000,000 provision.

On 15 June 2007, PCS voluntarily varied its permissions with the effect that it would not subsequently undertake any regulated activity except to the extent necessary to close and settle existing customer positions. On 20 June 2007, PCS ceased trading and went into administration.

In March 2008, PCS moved from being in administration to being in Creditor’s Voluntary Liquidation.

In December 2008 the FSA issued a ‘Public Censure’ against PCS. It found that “The serious nature of the (rule) breaches identified ... would have led the FSA to impose a financial penalty of £2,000,000 were it not for the fact that the firm went into administration and is now in liquidation.”

On 19 January 2009, the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) declared PCS “in default”. This means that PCS is unable or unlikely to be able to meet its liabilities and as the UK statutory fund of last resort; the FSCS can step into the shoes of PCS and redress eligible claimants (subject to its limits). This has opened the doors for claims for compensation for which the authorities are budgeting for a cost of £100,000,000, however insiders believe claims could hit £300,000,000. Hallbrook Partners believe even this figure could be surpassed.

On 28 January the FSA fined the former chief executive of PCS, Steven Griggs £80,000 and banned him from holding any ‘significant influence’ function with a regulated firm. Charles Weston, the former finance director of PCS was fined £95,000 and banned from carrying out any regulated activities.

p>It was also deemed that Mr Griggs and Mr Weston misled the FSA about the true nature of their relationship with an individual linked to share fraud scams (also known as boiler room fraud).

Important information for ‘nominee account’ clients
Due to inadequate record keeping by PCS, the administrators could not properly reconcile the nominee accounts. Therefore if you do not hold share certificates your investments will almost certainly be lost. With this in mind, Hallbrook Partners encourages every PCS client to pursue a claim for compensation on at least the basis of a ‘return of property.’ FSCS will return the value of your investments as of the 19th January 2009 when PCS was declared “in default”. (Subject to its limits).

It is likely that the value of your investments on 19 January 2009 is substantially less than the original investment you made. Hallbrook Partners can help to establish if you were a victim of mis-selling in which case you can claim back the entirety of your losses subject to the FSCS limits. Please contact us for more details.

Square Mile Securities Ltd Formerly Halewood International Futures Ltd (SMS)

Square Mile Securities Ltd Formerly Halewood International Futures Ltd (SMS) was subject to a Financial Services Authority (FSA) investigation between March and May 2006. As a result of this investigation, the FSA found failings that warranted a fine of £1,500,000. This was reduced to £250,000 because of the financial circumstances of the firm and its agreement to settle at an early stage of the investigation. Square Mile agreed to send its customers a letter advising them of the FSA findings which included information on how they could make a complaint. The fine and the letter to customers occurred in January 2008.

Due to the nature and extent of the complaints Square Mile subsequently received, it became apparent quite quickly that Square Mile would not be able to meet its liabilities and it went into administration in March 2008.

On 11 February 2008, the FSA banned Mr Mohammed Suba Miah, a former broker at Square Mile and fined him £21,000 for selling high risk shares to customers without their consent and deliberately misleading customers by not explaining the risks involved with such shares.

On 10 July 2008, the FSA banned Mr Baljit Somal, a former broker at Square Mile and fined him £16,000 for selling high risk shares to customers without their consent and using unacceptable sales tactics.

On 19 February 2009, the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) declared Square Mile “in default”. This means that Square Mile is unable or unlikely to be able to meet its liabilities and as the UK statutory fund of last resort; the FSCS can step into the shoes of Square Mile and redress eligible claimants. (Subject to its limits).

Important information for ‘nominee account’ clients

Due to inadequate record keeping by Square Mile, the administrators could not properly reconcile the nominee accounts. Therefore if you do not hold share certificates your investments will almost certainly be lost. With this in mind, Hallbrook Partners encourages every Square Mile client to pursue a claim for compensation on at least the basis of a ‘return of property.’ FSCS will return the value of your investments as of the 19th February 2009 when Square Mile was declared “in default”. (Subject to its limits).

It is likely that the value of your investments on 19 February 2009 is substantially less than the original investment you made. Hallbrook Partners can help to establish if you were a victim of mis-selling in which case you can claim back the entirety of your losses subject to the FSCS limits. Please contact us for more details.

Mansion House Securities Ltd (MHS)

Mansion House Securities Ltd (MHS) was fined by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) £122,500 on 31 March 2008 for breaches of the FSA Principles for Business and Conduct of Business Rules that occurred between 3 May 2006 and 18 January 2007. MHS agreed to settle at an early stage of the FSA’s investigation, thus qualifying for a 30% discount under the executive settlement procedures. Were it not for this discount the FSA would have imposed a financial penalty of £175,000. MHS was instructed to obtain on independent review of its current compliance with regulatory standards and also of its past business and to remediate customers where appropriate.

With effect from 3 April 2009, the FSA varied MHS’ permissions and barred it from doing anything that would reduce the value of its assets. This includes paying ‘unusual or significant amounts’ to employees or bosses or to anyone connected with them. MHS cannot lend more than a small sum to anyone and it is prohibited from engaging in any kind of financial reconstruction or reorganisation without the consent of the FSA.

However, the variation of permissions stopped MHS from taking on any new business which inevitably led to it being placed into administration on 30 April 2009.

In the three years it had been in business MHS had employed more than 50 staff. Many were former employees of other broking firms that had attracted the attention of watchdogs. These included the notorious Pacific Continental Securities (UK) Ltd, which allegedly cheated its customers out of tens of millions of pounds, if not more, and which the FSA says it would have fined £2 million, had it not gone bust.

Another firm where some MHS employees used to work is Square Mile Securities Ltd. In January 2008 it was fined £250,000 for using unacceptable sales tactics, making false statements and giving investors misleading information, all in a bid to sell high risk shares whether customers wanted them or not.

On 24 November 2009, the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) declared MHS “in default”. This means that MHS is unable or unlikely to be able to meet its liabilities and as the UK statutory fund of last resort; the FSCS can step into the shoes of MHS and redress eligible claimants. (Subject to its limits).

Ascension Securities Limited (ASL)

Ascension Securities Limited (ASL) did not escape negative publicity or the wrath of the regulator, the Financial Services Authority (FSA). Despite filing accounts in April 2009 showing a turnover of just over £2m and assets of more than £500,000, ASL ceased doing business on 22 May 2009 and formally went into liquidation on 7 July 2009.

On 26 May 2009, ASL wrote to clients advising that as of noon on 22 May 2009, ASL voluntarily temporarily ceased carrying out regulated business whilst undertaking a full business review with the intention of providing a better and more efficient service.

This wasn’t strictly true.
On 6 August 2009, the FSA confirmed in writing to ASL’s clients that ASL’s decision to cease regulated business was following a visit by the FSA and subsequent to discussions held between the firm and the FSA. This was due to the FSA identifying potential breaches of the rules and principles that govern regulated firms such as ASL.

ASL’s demise unsurprisingly mirrors that of other regulated smaller company stockbrokers. Director Gary Porter previously worked for Mansion House Securities Ltd. Co director Derek Leonard Scrivener had also been a salesman at Mansion House. Another director, Robert Joseph Fucilla, worked at Pacific Continental Securities (UK) Ltd and Square Mile Securities Ltd. Staff included Rajan Aggarwal, who worked at both Mansion House and Square Mile, Costas Constanti who was at Pacific Continental and Square Mile, and Jonathon David Wicks, whose past jobs also included time at Pacific Continental and Square Mile. Another notable member of staff was Luc Jean Chaudhary. After over five years as a salesman at Pacific Continental, he joined Mansion House in 2006 and became a director. In March 2008, Mansion House was fined by the Financial Services Authority (FSA) £122,500 for breaches of the FSA Principles for Business and Conduct of Business Rules. Chaudhary left Mansion House in May 2008 and joined Ascension Securities Ltd.

On 13 January 2010, the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS) declared ASL “in default”. This means that ASL is unable or unlikely to be able to meet its liabilities and as the UK statutory fund of last resort; the FSCS can step into the shoes of ASL and redress eligible claimants. (Subject to its limits).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/dec/05/the-big-i-am-film-hollywood
Brixton-born City trader Robert Fucilla had succeeded in everything he had put his hand to, from selling oil to backing British hip-hop acts, and believed his Italian ancestry gave him a shot at being a British Al Pacino. Of course, millions dream of breaking into the movies, but what underpinned Fucilla's ambition, friends and workmates agree, what made him stand out from every other fantasist and wannabe, was self-belief and a monumental ego.
Too impatient to train as an actor, and having briefly tried the traditional route of castings and pumping connections, Fucilla decided to buy his way in. At first, this approach proved remarkably successful. Somehow, the novice film-maker secured more than £1m from investors, [...]

By 2006, Fucilla was transformed: he had a diamond ring bigger than a peach pit on his finger, a Porsche in the driveway of his large north London house. He had done well in the City. "You could say I was a millionaire before I was 30." ...

Back
Top Bottom