The Forgotten Exodus: The Into Africa Theory of Human Evolution

Meanwhile, Carleton Coon's book arrived today and I'm glad I got over my hesitation and ordered it. I took a break from the other just to check it out and it is just LOADED with insightful material. And, based on the latest material such as Stringer and Reich, Coon doesn't seem to have been that far off. It's a shame that the "social anthropologists" who pushed the PostModernist deconstruction line made so much noise about it that people may be put off from reading it. There's a relatively inexpensive reprint available.

Would this be "The Origin of Races" from 1966? If that is the case, it is available for free on the Internet archive:

Origin Of Races : Coon, Carleton S. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

You cannot browse every page, but the PDF download seems complete (823 pages).

As for hard copies, you'll find overpriced copies on amazon.com, although there is a cheaper second edition. In abebooks it is way cheaper (less than 1/4th of the price of the second edition).

But if this is the book, the PDF would do just fine for me.

Coon dedicated that book to Franz Weidenreich (author of Apes, Giants and Man). Wolpoff and Caspari dedicated their book "Race and Human Evolution" to Franz Weidenreich as well. They must have understood each other rather well!

There is a theory of Telegony that a child could have DNA from mothers ex-parters but not sure if it counts for humans. Telegony (pregnancy) - Wikipedia

At least, it's true for flies… Imagine the implications if it were also true for humans.

Semen secrets: How a previous sexual partner can influence another male's offspring
Scientists have discovered a new form of non-genetic inheritance, showing for the first time that offspring can resemble a mother's previous sexual partner -- in flies at least.

This confronting idea, known as telegony, dates back to ancient Greek times, but was discredited in the early 20th Century with the advent of genetics.
To test it out, UNSW Australia scientists Dr Angela Crean, Professor Russell Bonduriansky and Dr Anna Kopps manipulated the size of male flies and studied their offspring.
They found that the size of the young was determined by the size of the first male the mother mated with, rather than the second male that sired the offspring.
"Our discovery complicates our entire view of how variation is transmitted across generations, but also opens up exciting new possibilities and avenues of research. Just as we think we have things figured out, nature throws us a curve ball and shows us how much we still have to learn," says lead author Dr Crean.
The researchers propose that the effect is due to molecules in the seminal fluid of the first mate being absorbed by the female's immature eggs and then influencing the growth of offspring of a subsequent mate.
The study is published in the journal Ecology Letters.
The team produced large and small male flies by feeding them diets as larvae that were high or low in nutrients. They then mated the immature females with either a large or a small male.
Once the females had matured, they were mated again with either a big or a small male, and their offspring were studied.
"We found that even though the second male sired the offspring, offspring size was determined by what the mother's previous mating partner ate as a maggot," says Dr Crean.
Despite major advances in genetics, many questions remain about how some traits are inherited.
"We know that features that run in families are not just influenced by the genes that are passed down from parents to their children. Various non-genetic inheritance mechanisms make it possible for maternal or paternal environmental factors to influence characteristics of a child," says Dr Crean.
In the flies, for example, it has been shown that males that are well-fed as larvae go on to produce big offspring.
"Our new findings take this to a whole new level -- showing a male can also transmit some of his acquired features to offspring sired by other males," she says. "But we don't know yet whether this applies to other species."
The idea of telegony -- that a male can leave a mark on his mate's body that influences her offspring to a different male -- originated with the Greek philosopher Aristotle. It was a concern to royalty in the 1300s and still popular as a scientific hypothesis in the 1800s but rejected in the early 1900s as incompatible with the new science of genetics.
Story Source:
Materials provided by University of New South Wales. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.
Journal Reference:
  1. Angela J. Crean, Anna M. Kopps, Russell Bonduriansky. Revisiting telegony: offspring inherit an acquired characteristic of their mother's previous mate. Ecology Letters, 2014; DOI: 10.1111/ele.12373

Additionally, with the material produced in Reich's book, even if he attempts to spin it, is very useful to me because I can go and read the papers if I need to, and I can read between the lines. As I pointed out, his maps do NOT match his words and his conclusions don't match the data. At least he presents the data honestly and clearly.

Finally, now being able to see from Reich that Wolpoff was quite right, it is easier to read Coon and see that he, too, was on the right track on many things. I just make notes in the margins when more recent data contradicts or clarifies... and he's very right a lot of the time!

Sometimes treasures are found in a LOT of mud!

I ordered Reich's book from my library, hasn't got to me yet.

Reich published a sample/synopsis of what's in the book in the New York Times as "Opinion"; it caused bigly freaking out from all the usual suspects.

How Genetics Is Changing Our Understanding of ‘Race’
By David Reich
March 23, 2018

---
From the media coverage & resulting freak out, I had the impression that the tech is advancing so much that certain truths will be proven beyond a doubt in the near future (a few years), & Reich is desperately trying a pre-emptive strike on perception management.

With the fossil record so sparse and the initial changes so subtle, getting accurate splitting dates doesn't sound easy. One SOTT article mentions (in bold print) traits in between H. erectus and H. sapiens showing up in a range from 900K to 125K years ago. Another SOTT article mentions (in bold red print) that more advanced tools show up all over a continent 300,000 years ago (that's quite interesting in a Cs related way too!)

For the Kantekkians (maybe), that first SOTT article mentions (again in bold print) that very very modern looking fossils show up in China at least 80,000 years ago. The Cs put "planted" in quotes when talking adding in new genes so I could see that being viral seeds maybe. They even mention us in the future seeding ourselves. They though also mention the Kantek seeding being the only one that wasn't optimized for the environment due to it being an emergency.

I have a hard time thinking about how a viral seeding could be an emergency though maybe Kantek exploded unplanned and sent us unplanned viruses and it was only an emergency in the sense of being unplanned? Then there's the low gravity thing related to Kantekkians being tall but then gravity changes on earth supposedly relate to taller animals too so maybe the Kantek viral genes hit earth at a low gravity time/place?

How China is rewriting the book on human origins -- Sott.net

Human origins are much more diverse than previously thought -- Sott.net
My position on this is that alternative researchers tend to focus on the hybrid breeding project and the nuts and bolts aspects of the alien issue because that is the overwhelmingly the position of "mainstream" ufology, which gets a heavy dose of inspiration from science fiction. Others, seeing the limitations and overall unsatisfactory nature of the nuts and bolts camp, have gone to the opposite extreme. This too, is a mistake. The Cassiopaeans actually once warned against this line of thinking before:
session960525 said:
Q: (L) So, out of every 1,000 people, there are 20 that are programmed, and 12 of these are programmed by aliens, as in 4th density STS?
A: Understand that 4th density is physical, indeed. You are drifting further and further toward an ethereal only perception/theoretical position.
Q: (L) You are saying that the humans working on these kinds of things... and...
A: No, Laura, we are saying that there is really a very strong "nuts and bolts" reality to this phenomenon, and don't ignore it!
On the other hand, they were also asked rather directly about "alien invasions."
session120722 said:
Q: (L) Vewy intewesting. Any other questions on that topic? I think I asked this before... I have the feeling that the so-called "alien invasion" is really comets.
A: Pretty much.
To me, pretty much is another way of saying "mostly" or "close." I understand that an integral part of the scientific process is seeing how far you can push a hypothesis or model before it breaks down, and then see where it breaks so you have an idea of where to modify or expand the hypothesis. Due to the gene editing capabilities, persistence, scalability, and anonymity of viruses, I have no problem accepting that it is a major method, or perhaps even the principal method of seeding worlds. However, there is more to the story than just "seeding." Thing is, I think we could build some starships, load up thousands of people, and send them to Mars if there was a pressing reason to do so. Building all the habitats and vehicles and so forth might cost 20% of world GDP, but it could be done with today's technology. I don't really see what is so controversial about this. Furthermore, it looks like we also have some kind of Manchurian candidate type humanoid being cranked out of 4D STS labs (of the nuts and bolts variety).
session180210 said:
(Artemis) Okay, I have a weird one. Are there any people living on Earth who weren't born on Earth?
A: Depends on how you define "born".
Q: (Artemis) A lady has you in her stomach... Do I need to tell you how this works? [laughter] Okay, do they mean like people who were possible experiments and who were born in other ways?
A: Yes
Q: (Artemis) There are people on Earth who were born in other ways and not on Earth?
A: Yes
For me, sitting here watching you guys go through all of these mental contortions to try to elevate what is essentially a directed panspermia comet theory into some kind of be all end all for all interstellar/interplanetary transport and exchange is vaguely reminiscent of listening to a materialist philosopher try to explain consciousness. I may not be able to define it precisely, but I think I can get in the ballpark, and I know it's more than electrochemistry. From an Occam's Razor sort of logic, I can see a certain elegance to the comet theory, it is less contentious than alien ships, and far less contentious than teleportation (although I believe that quantum mechanics has largely dismantled the light speed barrier concept, in 100 years [on a good timeline] only idiots will argue that the speed of light presents a tangible barrier to anything). However, I find that the applicability of Occam's Razor changes based on your perspective. I shall attempt to illustrate this via analogy below.

Suppose you are conducting an experiment on a petri dish full of amoebas, trying to learn about how various stimuli can effect the behavior of their species. For the purposes of this analogy, the amoebas will be given some level of conscious awareness. There are multiple variables that can be used for testing, such as lighting, temperature, and so on. From inside the petri dish, once the (3rd density) consciousness sets the parameters, things will seem to proceed along fairly predictable natural laws, until suddenly the parameters are changed, at which point discontinuities occur. Radioactive decay, a natural process, can be introduced to cause mutations. In the Earth sized petri dish, this would correlate to comets, a natural process that has intelligent direction. In another instance, one amoeba might be sucked into a tiny needle and moved to another petri dish full of synthetic amoebas with altered genomes that use unnatural "letters" of the genetic alphabet, to see how well these synthetics might be able to propagate themselves. This would be analogous to the physical abduction phenomenon and hybrid breeding program. The direct editing and transport of the organisms is rarely done as a percentage of the total amoebas, but is another tool that has its place. If one is advanced enough, one can load the genetic profile of one amoeba onto a computer and download it somewhere else, but it still has to be "rematterized" somehow (analogous to 4D abduction). Lastly, based upon what I've read about Emoto's experiments, it ought to be possible for a group of 3rd density beings to psychically structure the water inside the petri dish, for good or for ill, which would have a profound effect on the realm in which the amoebas find themselves. I think this is very close in nature to what 4D STS does with their "frequency fence." So some amoeba scientists might start piecing together all of the physical laws of their world, coming up with fairly useful understandings of the independent systems, but none of it seems to quite amalgamate the way it should. An overarching theory is developed: there is some kind of fantastically complicated natural clockwork which dictates certain cycles, and while it seems there might be some kind of intelligence behind it, no one can really say. One defiant amoeba stands up and proposes, "The creators just use the tool best suited to the task at hand, making tweaks to the system when necessary." Profound in its simplicity, blasphemous in its implications. The only drawback is that it can only really be verified by visiting the higher world and seeing for oneself.

For this reason, I can see why aliens and evolutionary history should remain two separate subjects, even though I believe they are closely intertwined in the higher world. If one takes the position for the moment that all channeling is crap, and throw out the Cassiopaeans completely for a moment, I don't think there is enough evidence in ufology to really say too much about how and why aliens were involved in evolution. What we ought to be able to do, however, is create a reasonably accurate genealogy of humanity moving from this form to that form with enough research. It also ought to be possible to find relics of ancient high civilizations. The Smithsonian and their skeletons is small potatoes. I wonder who is guarding data about things such as Atlantean crystal pyramids. If they had some kind of magneto-levitation craft, it would really cast a new light on all of these alleged human migration maps. I'm hoping that the potential future ice age/comet scenario will allow some of this to come to the light for those with eyes to see who wish to know. Even Atlantean technology ought to be able to be cataloged and rough approximations made as to when it was built and what its purpose was. This could all be accomplished with relatively prosaic 3D methods if you had enough inquiring minds to look at it and managed to sideline the scientific gatekeepers. That would all be fairly interesting even if it wouldn't really answer the ultimate questions, which tend to lead one into a sort of opaque woo-woo barrier.

David Reich is pretty forthcoming in this article that the note at the end says was adapted from his book. I've put a few things in bold that strike me as particularly significant.

Opinion | How Genetics Is Changing Our Understanding of ‘Race’
How Genetics Is Changing Our Understanding of ‘Race’
By David Reich
March 23, 2018

25reich-articleLarge.jpg

ImageCreditAngie Wang

In 1942, the anthropologist Ashley Montagu published “Man’s Most Dangerous Myth: The Fallacy of Race,” an influential book that argued that race is a social concept with no genetic basis. A classic example often cited is the inconsistent definition of “black.” In the United States, historically, a person is “black” if he has any sub-Saharan African ancestry; in Brazil, a person is not “black” if he is known to have any European ancestry. If “black” refers to different people in different contexts, how can there be any genetic basis to it?

Beginning in 1972, genetic findings began to be incorporated into this argument. That year, the geneticist Richard Lewontin published an important study of variation in protein types in blood. He grouped the human populations he analyzed into seven “races” — West Eurasians, Africans, East Asians, South Asians, Native Americans, Oceanians and Australians — and found that around 85 percent of variation in the protein types could be accounted for by variation within populations and “races,” and only 15 percent by variation across them. To the extent that there was variation among humans, he concluded, most of it was because of “differences between individuals.”

In this way, a consensus was established that among human populations there are no differences large enough to support the concept of “biological race.” Instead, it was argued, race is a “social construct,” a way of categorizing people that changes over time and across countries.

It is true that race is a social construct. It is also true, as Dr. Lewontin wrote, that human populations “are remarkably similar to each other” from a genetic point of view.

But over the years this consensus has morphed, seemingly without questioning, into an orthodoxy. The orthodoxy maintains that the average genetic differences among people grouped according to today’s racial terms are so trivial when it comes to any meaningful biological traits that those differences can be ignored.

The orthodoxy goes further, holding that we should be anxious about any research into genetic differences among populations. The concern is that such research, no matter how well-intentioned, is located on a slippery slope that leads to the kinds of pseudoscientific arguments about biological difference that were used in the past to try to justify the slave trade, the eugenics movement and the Nazis’ murder of six million Jews.

I have deep sympathy for the concern that genetic discoveries could be misused to justify racism. But as a geneticist I also know that it is simply no longer possible to ignore average genetic differences among “races.”

Groundbreaking advances in DNA sequencing technology have been made over the last two decades. These advances enable us to measure with exquisite accuracy what fraction of an individual’s genetic ancestry traces back to, say, West Africa 500 years ago — before the mixing in the Americas of the West African and European gene pools that were almost completely isolated for the last 70,000 years. With the help of these tools, we are learning that while race may be a social construct, differences in genetic ancestry that happen to correlate to many of today’s racial constructs are real.

Recent genetic studies have demonstrated differences across populations not just in the genetic determinants of simple traits such as skin color, but also in more complex traits like bodily dimensions and susceptibility to diseases. For example, we now know that genetic factors help explain why northern Europeans are taller on average than southern Europeans, why multiple sclerosis is more common in European-Americans than in African-Americans, and why the reverse is true for end-stage kidney disease.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...on=CompanionColumn&contentCollection=Trending
I am worried that well-meaning people who deny the possibility of substantial biological differences among human populations are digging themselves into an indefensible position, one that will not survive the onslaught of science. I am also worried that whatever discoveries are made — and we truly have no idea yet what they will be — will be cited as “scientific proof” that racist prejudices and agendas have been correct all along, and that those well-meaning people will not understand the science well enough to push back against these claims.

This is why it is important, even urgent, that we develop a candid and scientifically up-to-date way of discussing any such differences, instead of sticking our heads in the sand and being caught unprepared when they are found.

To get a sense of what modern genetic research into average biological differences across populations looks like, consider an example from my own work. Beginning around 2003, I began exploring whether the population mixture that has occurred in the last few hundred years in the Americas could be leveraged to find risk factors for prostate cancer, a disease that occurs 1.7 times more often in self-identified African-Americans than in self-identified European-Americans. This disparity had not been possible to explain based on dietary and environmental differences, suggesting that genetic factors might play a role.

Self-identified African-Americans turn out to derive, on average, about 80 percent of their genetic ancestry from enslaved Africans brought to America between the 16th and 19th centuries. My colleagues and I searched, in 1,597 African-American men with prostate cancer, for locations in the genome where the fraction of genes contributed by West African ancestors was larger than it was elsewhere in the genome. In 2006, we found exactly what we were looking for: a location in the genome with about 2.8 percent more African ancestry than the average.

When we looked in more detail, we found that this region contained at least seven independent risk factors for prostate cancer, all more common in West Africans. Our findings could fully account for the higher rate of prostate cancer in African-Americans than in European-Americans. We could conclude this because African-Americans who happen to have entirely European ancestry in this small section of their genomes had about the same risk for prostate cancer as random Europeans.

Did this research rely on terms like “African-American” and “European-American” that are socially constructed, and did it label segments of the genome as being probably “West African” or “European” in origin? Yes. Did this research identify real risk factors for disease that differ in frequency across those populations, leading to discoveries with the potential to improve health and save lives? Yes.

While most people will agree that finding a genetic explanation for an elevated rate of disease is important, they often draw the line there. Finding genetic influences on a propensity for disease is one thing, they argue, but looking for such influences on behavior and cognition is another.

But whether we like it or not, that line has already been crossed. A recent study led by the economist Daniel Benjamin compiled information on the number of years of education from more than 400,000 people, almost all of whom were of European ancestry. After controlling for differences in socioeconomic background, he and his colleagues identified 74 genetic variations that are over-represented in genes known to be important in neurological development, each of which is incontrovertibly more common in Europeans with more years of education than in Europeans with fewer years of education.

It is not yet clear how these genetic variations operate. A follow-up study of Icelanders led by the geneticist Augustine Kong showed that these genetic variations also nudge people who carry them to delay having children. So these variations may be explaining longer times at school by affecting a behavior that has nothing to do with intelligence.

This study has been joined by others finding genetic predictors of behavior. One of these, led by the geneticist Danielle Posthuma, studied more than 70,000 people and found genetic variations in more than 20 genes that were predictive of performance on intelligence tests.

Is performance on an intelligence test or the number of years of school a person attends shaped by the way a person is brought up? Of course. But does it measure something having to do with some aspect of behavior or cognition? Almost certainly. And since all traits influenced by genetics are expected to differ across populations (because the frequencies of genetic variations are rarely exactly the same across populations), the genetic influences on behavior and cognition will differ across populations, too.

You will sometimes hear that any biological differences among populations are likely to be small, because humans have diverged too recently from common ancestors for substantial differences to have arisen under the pressure of natural selection. This is not true. The ancestors of East Asians, Europeans, West Africans and Australians were, until recently, almost completely isolated from one another for 40,000 years or longer, which is more than sufficient time for the forces of evolution to work. Indeed, the study led by Dr. Kong showed that in Iceland, there has been measurable genetic selection against the genetic variations that predict more years of education in that population just within the last century.

To understand why it is so dangerous for geneticists and anthropologists to simply repeat the old consensus about human population differences, consider what kinds of voices are filling the void that our silence is creating. Nicholas Wade, a longtime science journalist for The New York Times, rightly notes in his 2014 book, “A Troublesome Inheritance: Genes, Race and Human History,” that modern research is challenging our thinking about the nature of human population differences. But he goes on to make the unfounded and irresponsible claim that this research is suggesting that genetic factors explain traditional stereotypes.

One of Mr. Wade’s key sources, for example, is the anthropologist Henry Harpending, who has asserted that people of sub-Saharan African ancestry have no propensity to work when they don’t have to because, he claims, they did not go through the type of natural selection for hard work in the last thousands of years that some Eurasians did. There is simply no scientific evidence to support this statement. Indeed, as 139 geneticists (including myself) pointed out in a letter to The New York Times about Mr. Wade’s book, there is no genetic evidence to back up any of the racist stereotypes he promotes.

Another high-profile example is James Watson, the scientist who in 1953 co-discovered the structure of DNA, and who was forced to retire as head of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratories in 2007 after he stated in an interview — without any scientific evidence — that research has suggested that genetic factors contribute to lower intelligence in Africans than in Europeans.

At a meeting a few years later, Dr. Watson said to me and my fellow geneticist Beth Shapiro something to the effect of “When are you guys going to figure out why it is that you Jews are so much smarter than everyone else?” He asserted that Jews were high achievers because of genetic advantages conferred by thousands of years of natural selection to be scholars, and that East Asian students tended to be conformist because of selection for conformity in ancient Chinese society. (Contacted recently, Dr. Watson denied having made these statements, maintaining that they do not represent his views; Dr. Shapiro said that her recollection matched mine.)

What makes Dr. Watson’s and Mr. Wade’s statements so insidious is that they start with the accurate observation that many academics are implausibly denying the possibility of average genetic differences among human populations, and then end with a claim — backed by no evidence — that they know what those differences are and that they correspond to racist stereotypes. They use the reluctance of the academic community to openly discuss these fraught issues to provide rhetorical cover for hateful ideas and old racist canards.

This is why knowledgeable scientists must speak out. If we abstain from laying out a rational framework for discussing differences among populations, we risk losing the trust of the public and we actively contribute to the distrust of expertise that is now so prevalent. We leave a vacuum that gets filled by pseudoscience, an outcome that is far worse than anything we could achieve by talking openly.

If scientists can be confident of anything, it is that whatever we currently believe about the genetic nature of differences among populations is most likely wrong. For example, my laboratory discovered in 2016, based on our sequencing of ancient human genomes, that “whites” are not derived from a population that existed from time immemorial, as some people believe. Instead, “whites” represent a mixture of four ancient populations that lived 10,000 years ago and were each as different from one another as Europeans and East Asians are today.

So how should we prepare for the likelihood that in the coming years, genetic studies will show that many traits are influenced by genetic variations, and that these traits will differ on average across human populations? It will be impossible — indeed, anti-scientific, foolish and absurd — to deny those differences.

For me, a natural response to the challenge is to learn from the example of the biological differences that exist between males and females. The differences between the sexes are far more profound than those that exist among human populations, reflecting more than 100 million years of evolution and adaptation. Males and females differ by huge tracts of genetic material — a Y chromosome that males have and that females don’t, and a second X chromosome that females have and males don’t.

Most everyone accepts that the biological differences between males and females are profound. In addition to anatomical differences, men and women exhibit average differences in size and physical strength. (There are also average differences in temperament and behavior, though there are important unresolved questions about the extent to which these differences are influenced by social expectations and upbringing.)

How do we accommodate the biological differences between men and women? I think the answer is obvious: We should both recognize that genetic differences between males and females exist and we should accord each sex the same freedoms and opportunities regardless of those differences.

It is clear from the inequities that persist between women and men in our society that fulfilling these aspirations in practice is a challenge. Yet conceptually it is straightforward. And if this is the case with men and women, then it is surely the case with whatever differences we may find among human populations, the great majority of which will be far less profound.

An abiding challenge for our civilization is to treat each human being as an individual and to empower all people, regardless of what hand they are dealt from the deck of life. Compared with the enormous differences that exist among individuals, differences among populations are on average many times smaller, so it should be only a modest challenge to accommodate a reality in which the average genetic contributions to human traits differ.

It is important to face whatever science will reveal without prejudging the outcome and with the confidence that we can be mature enough to handle any findings. Arguing that no substantial differences among human populations are possible will only invite the racist misuse of genetics that we wish to avoid.

David Reich is a professor of genetics at Harvard and the author of the forthcoming book “Who We Are and How We Got Here: Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past,” from which this article is adapted.

David Reich is pretty forthcoming in this article that the note at the end says was adapted from his book. I've put a few things in bold that strike me as particularly significant.

Opinion | How Genetics Is Changing Our Understanding of ‘Race’

Thank you Laura, truly fascinating. Never thought about it this way, but it's crucial: if the scientific community doesn't touch these issues for ideological reasons or out of fear, racists and white supremacists will fill the void, quoting studies about diffferences between races and tell everyone "told you so". With nobody around who has a deep understanding of these issues and the drive to get to the bottom of this, we will be totally defenseless!

In fact, you can see this right now with the white supremacists: Even such a knowledgeable guy as Jordan Peterson kind of acts as if he's cornered when confronted with "evidence" for the superiority of the "white race"; this seems to be common among those critical of lefty ideology - they realize that we cannot trust the lefties that "everything race is a social construct", they may realize that there are differences between the races, but they are either afraid to go there and tackle the issue rationally and/or they lack the knowledge and understanding to do so. It's really dangerous, because the massive blow-back against the lefty nonsense we're seeing right now could easily lead to dangerous and stupid "genetic racism" becoming en vogue again!!

Reich published a sample/synopsis of what's in the book in the New York Times as "Opinion"; it caused bigly freaking out from all the usual suspects.

That is a very good article. I'm making my way through Wolpoff and Caspari's book and I arrived to the chapter where they discuss Carleton Coon. They cover extensively the history of anthropology and the ideas and research surrounding the origins of races. Wolpoff and Caspari made some pretty objective observations on origins and races, and were labeled polygenists (A.K.A. racist). It seems that when you make relatively objective research and observations, the "liberal camp" of the recent past will get triggered and jump into conclusions according to their personal sensitivities. It seems to me that the book is partly a response where they defend themselves of such a racist label.

Something similar happened to Carleton Coon and although Wolpoff and Caspari don't throw him under the bus (maybe), they don't necessarily portray him in the best of light. They sound politically correct when they talk about Coon.

From what I'm reading on Wolpoff and Caspari's book, Coon was genuinely surprised that he would be labeled as a racist. He came from a well bred family and made some relatively objective observations. That doesn't mean he was a Nazi.

Wolpoff and Caspari also detail the prevalent research and knowledge of European people before or around the Nazi era. It seems that an important segment of the population was ready for Hitler by the time he came. And then everything that happened afterwards was just more likely. Some 20th century anthropologists sound more racist than Hitler himself.

It is a fine line between racism and not racism as Reich portrays in this article of the NYT. We can understand better this fine line by seeing how liberals vs conservatives dynamics are unfolding in present day reality.

Some folk were simply not racist per se back in the 19th or 20th century, they just made some relatively objective observations about races and then the "liberals" came down on them.

Anyway, objective reality doesn't necessarily mean racism, though there would always be racists. Be careful of wolves in sheep's clothing. We live in interesting times!

Looking forward to continuing reading Wolpoff and Caspari's.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Thank you Laura, truly fascinating. Never thought about it this way, but it's crucial: if the scientific community doesn't touch these issues for ideological reasons or out of fear, racists and white supremacists will fill the void, quoting studies about diffferences between races and tell everyone "told you so". With nobody around who has a deep understanding of these issues and the drive to get to the bottom of this, we will be totally defenseless!

In fact, you can see this right now with the white supremacists: Even such a knowledgeable guy as Jordan Peterson kind of acts as if he's cornered when confronted with "evidence" for the superiority of the "white race"; this seems to be common among those critical of lefty ideology - they realize that we cannot trust the lefties that "everything race is a social construct", they may realize that there are differences between the races, but they are either afraid to go there and tackle the issue rationally and/or they lack the knowledge and understanding to do so. It's really dangerous, because the massive blow-back against the lefty nonsense we're seeing right now could easily lead to dangerous and stupid "genetic racism" becoming en vogue again!!

I'm reading an interesting book about the lefties/postmodernists etc entitled "Challenging Postmodernism: Philosophy and the Politics of Truth" by David Detmer. He says in the intro that he is going to approach things from a "true" left perspective. Already, his arguments are strong and it would serve people well to be able to argue the "truth is socially constructed" business.

But anyway, on the topic of the "superiority" of the white race, it's interesting to note that orientals come out on top in intelligence tests, even assuming that intelligence can be tested as they do.

Sarich's book "Race: The Reality Of Human Differences" had some pretty interesting things to say about it. He noted that, even controlling for cultural differences, the average IQ of blacks was about 70 as opposed to average for whites of 100 and I think orientals were something like 105/110. Okay, that sounds pretty awful, right? But get this: a white person with an IQ of 70 is effectively disabled; they usually suffer other kinds of deficits including social retardation and emotional issues. However, blacks do NOT suffer from social or emotional deficits and get along well in life even with an IQ of 70. THEN, he tells the story about the archaeological team stuck in the desert sands and the starter on their 4WD vehicle dies; they are all preparing to carry water on their backs and hoof it back to civilization because they can't push-start the vehicle in the sand. Then, the black young man they hired as helper suggests that they just jack up the vehicle, wind a rope on the back wheel and pull start it like spinning a top. They do it and it works. Remember this fellow had an IQ of about 70 and he solved a problem an bevy of PhDs couldn't figure out. So IQ obviously isn't everything. Yeah, it is helpful for a lot of things, but it might not keep a person alive in the jungle or desert! And if you don't survive, obviously, your genes don't either.

The whole thing reminded me of the Cs saying that blacks are "more in tune with Earth frequencies". And when you think about that, and think about the fact that there is an overwhelming majority of black athletes who break records of all kinds, and you start to think that there is more to all this than initially supposed. There is a kind of common sense, and kind of connectedness to the environment, that whites don't have. A white guy with an IQ of 70 pretty much has nothing going for him, but a black guy has other kinds of connections going on that tests obviously do not pick up and can get on in life very well, thank you very much!

Yes, environment and opportunities play a big role in how people develop, but probably the best thing is a little genetic mixing, good environment and opportunities, and natural selection.

And on the other extreme, the Grays for example are probably way more superior on that way of measuring than any earthling, and they seem to be facing serious collective problems and spriritual stagnation. Not a future you would like to be heading for.

The whole thing reminded me of the Cs saying that blacks are "more in tune with Earth frequencies". And when you think about that, and think about the fact that there is an overwhelming majority of black athletes who break records of all kinds, and you start to think that there is more to all this than initially supposed. There is a kind of common sense, and kind of connectedness to the environment, that whites don't have. A white guy with an IQ of 70 pretty much has nothing going for him, but a black guy has other kinds of connections going on that tests obviously do not pick up and can get on in life very well, thank you very much!
I think Jordan Peterson put it well recently in a talk he did where he basically nailed it in a few sentences. The gist of it was that a person's IQ doesn't necessarily relate to someone's value. A person can still be of use to society even if their IQ doesn't match that of others. That may have been the first time I've ever heard someone put it that way and personally found it extremely useful.

Perhaps if this point were stated more frequently, more people might be willing/able to take on board the rest of the information. It might also help to take a bite out of the leftist ideology that contributes so much confusion to the discussion.

Well, a new glitch for the ROOA theory:

Butchered rhino carcass and Stone Age tools reveal early humans settled in the Philippines 600,000 years earlier than thought
  • A near-complete rhino skeleton was found alongside 60 ancient stone tools
  • The bones date back to 709,000 years ago and show signs of butchering
  • Remains have evidence of cut marks and bashing to remove the marrow
  • Early humans likely arrived on the islands accidentally on crude watercraft

This find has been really exciting for me as it is yet more evidence of how important the Sunda and Sahul region was in respect to the human evolutionary story. Consider that it has long been thought that only Modern humans and our direct ancestors would have been able to use watercraft and deliberately navigate water, as well as create art and speak etc.

With hominins on Flores, Sulawesi and now in the Philipines all hundreds of thousands of years ago it is becoming hard for the mainstream to keep on saying there was no deliberate crossing of water happening in this early period. It is also important for my work as I have made it very clear I see the divergence of larger brained hominins (lineages leading to Neanderthals, Denisovans and modern humans) at 780,000 years ago as being a crucial moment in the story. Now we have evidence of movement of people around Island Southeast Asia not so very long after that time. What remains to be seen is who these people were, what sub-species. Homo erectus may seem the obvious bet, but there is a reason to suspect that the ancestors of Homo floresiensis might be the sailors and also may be our direct ancestors (due to skull morphology).

As more and more is uncovered in this region it may be that some will come to the inevitable conclusion that some of these hominins must have ended up on the Australian continent, even if they just got washed off an island (a mainstream favourite explanation for island hopping) and got carried to thereby the southerly currents. Once hominins crossed the Wallace Line there was little barrier to prevent entrance to the Australian landmass.

One thing that exercises my mind is this: the so-called human lineage AS IT IS NOW KNOWN is closest to chimps and gorillas which are found only in Africa. BUT, just above this in the tree is a common ancestor of humans, chimps and gorillas that was also ancestral to Orangutans, Gibbons and Siamangs, all of whom are found in East Asia. Go another step up and there is the common ancestor of Old World monkeys (OWM), and New World Monkeys (NWM).

Good article here on the suspected Asian origin of all primates in our lineage from 38 Mya 'New Primate Fossil Points to 'Out of Asia' Theory' New Primate Fossil Points to 'Out of Asia' Theory

If true, that's incredible! That would certainly put a spin on the whole psychologically incessant male-paranoia passed down throughout the ages regards the neurotic 'importance' of prenuptial female-virginity.
Even if telegony were real (and I see little evidence for it), it appears the idea was so accepted in antiquity that it's not unreasonable that this fear still exists. And since we have "royal bloodlines," men would have every interest in the purity of a partner so that there would be no question of lineage. It's funny how so many of the world's lasting anxieties can be tied directly to the existence of oligarchy.

I would think that the neoteny change came as the split from chimps and gorillas which would be much further back.

Not sure if you know, but in my book "Secret History" and the series "The Wave" (available in book form and online), I utilize the Cassiopaean material to sort things out. The big "secret" about "aliens" is that they are hyperdimensional critters. You'd really have to go through all of it to get the full import of this. They've described in some detail the abduction process and so on, and I included all that in my book "High Strangeness" along with the science. But, since then, I've tended to look more in the direction of reality based explanations even if I suspect and suggest hyperdimensional influences behind (or don't suggest, as the case may be, depending on the audience). There is a reason for that, too, the main one being that the Cs have given a load of clues and predictions that have really stood the test of time and research, and their whole schtick is to encourage us to pay close attention to reality because it is there we will find the clues.

For example, I might think that hyperdimensional beings influenced human development, but based on a lot of research and experience put together with how the Cs have described hyperdimensional realities, I would end up suggesting that the influence probably occurred in the context of information being sent through the realm curtain, formed as a virus, and then showered on ape types who would then get infected, and their DNA would be manipulated thereby.

But, like I said, to really get the whole import - which is terrifying, actually - you'd have to read "High Strangeness".

Getting back to manipulations around 780KYA, what makes you select that time?

It certainly does seem that neotenous shifts have played a role in our divergence from other primates in several separate stages, one we would imagine being close to the time of our split from other primate lineages, there were also neotenous changes that played a part in the emergence of Homo erectus around 2Mya (allowing for the larger brain).

I fully concur that the majority (if not all) ET involvement with our species is of a hyperdimensional or interdimensional nature. Sadly most people that have any interest in the subject assume it is all nuts and bolts metal crafts with biological beings in them - a very naive and unrealistic expectation. Even the leading scientists that explore the possibilities of ET life largely expect it to be post-biological or so far advanced as to be simply beyond our comprehension of what is 'real'.

Into Africa was my attempt to tackle the story of human evolution without reference to any psychic matters or alien visitors, despite my beliefs, in the same manner as you have described your own later process. I will have to read your book (or books) and see where we have common ground in the more esoteric ponderings.

780,000 years ago is important as it falls in the middle of the period now recently calculated to be the time the ancestors of modern humans, Neanderthals and Denisovans began to genetically diverge (750,000 - 800,000). Several studies have pointed to the Last Common ancestor living approx 800,000 years ago with a reasonable level of certainty (there is never absolute widespread agreement on such things). I have read papers that trace proteins, specific genes and of course the lineage divergence, all which support this dating. Archaeology already revealed long ago that human brain size went into rapid sudden increase close to 800,000 years ago, so it is perhaps not so surprising to find that much was happening in the genome around that point. I have also managed to finally pin down the dating of the fusing of chromosome 2 at this same point in time (750,000 to 800,000), specifically it occurs just before the divergence of the separate sub-species already mentioned. There are a number of anomalies that occur at this same moment, including genes that appear from the 'junk' (non-coding) DNA fully formed, and fragments of genes that appear to be cut, copied and re-inserted. My conclusion is that this is direct alien interference by means of a CRISPR type technology and also using a modified virus for horizontal gene transfer.

I have kept this line of research separate from my last book by inserting it all into my wife's books, as most readers of Into Africa are probably not ancient aliens theorists or open to that topic (I might be wrong). There is a bit more to this story but it goes beyond the genetics and hominin changes that we are talking about here.

I really hope this answer is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom