The Near Zero-Carb Pork Rind Recipes Revelation!

monotonic said:
Heh, sounds fun! Got to find some pork rhinds...

Not sure where you're located but if there's a Kroger / King Soopers / City Market around they have the store brand in 5oz bags for $1.79.

After a quick test, turning those into dust is fast and easy using hands and then a rolling pin without take them out of the bag. Just gotta make a small air hole in the top so the bag can collapse.

Haven't tried the recipes yet but definitely intend to - thanks so much for sharing :D

I`m thinking of making a stuffing out of pork rind crumbs to stuff a turkey. Maybe saute` some mushrooms and onions, garlic, add some herbs like rosemary and thyme to add to the mix. Last year at this time, we fully wrapped a turkey with bacon, roasted it and it was juicy and very tasty. How could one go wrong with anything wrapped in bacon!? I`d like to try a stuffing if anyone has any suggestions?

BTW, I don`t observe thanksgiving day, but I do give thanks for my family, friends, and this forum and bacon :bacon: :lol: N2F

We made some pancakes that were delish!!

DSC00559.jpg

We measured out the ground pork rinds and it looks like 1.5 oz is about 1 cup. The batter was a little thick so we added some coconut cream until it seemed right, which I think was about 2 tablespoons.

I've been experimenting with flavored butters and you can see a cinnamon vanilla butter on the above pancake. Butter was whipped in a food processor with cinnamon, vanilla, xylitol and a tablespoon of coconut cream and it came out pretty good (kind of like icing).

I've made a few other flavored butters and so far I think the sweet ones turn out a bit better than the savory ones. I'll get the recipes together and post them in a bit.

Thanks for sharing these recipes. I can't wait to try the pancake one. I never considered going sweet with pork rinds. You guys are so inventive.

I've added crushed pork rinds to meatloaf and meatballs and they definitely help hold it all together and make it a little lighter.

As far as stuffing, I have a family recipe that's french canadian from the spouse's side. It's 2lbs of ground pork slowly simmered with onion, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. At the end, your supposed to add plain bread crumbs, but I add a bag of crushed porks rinds. It's very basic, but it does taste good.

Oink-lah-lah KJN!! I just drooled on my screen. Can't wait to experiment. Thanks for posting. And I heartily agree with the keto-cookbook idea!!

Hey there...thanks for all the great replies to our experiment!

Brownies...haven't tried that but shouldn't be too hard to do.

The stuffing...On the initial post I have a section on it. Just use the herbed pan bread and break it up. We will be working with this one as well in a couple days!

Had not even thought of trying them in meatballs...see...you guys are great! Definitely a good idea! :D

Oink on....

One of the brands of pork rhinds at my local Kroger's tends to leave some fat on the skin, so there is a layer of lardy mushy stuff. They seem to really overcook them though, because they tend to be browned and like chewing on rocks. I'm guessing the optimal product would be lightly colored and crisp. Luckily ones like this are available too, although in the past I've gotten ones where they was a very hard, bad tasting layer of some sort left on the skin.

monotonic said:
One of the brands of pork rhinds at my local Kroger's tends to leave some fat on the skin, so there is a layer of lardy mushy stuff. They seem to really overcook them though, because they tend to be browned and like chewing on rocks. I'm guessing the optimal product would be lightly colored and crisp. Luckily ones like this are available too, although in the past I've gotten ones where they was a very hard, bad tasting layer of some sort left on the skin.
Yes. I think they're also easier to pulverize in the food processor as well as being easier on the blades and motor. The other kind may leave a lot of hard bits in the batter. So you want the light, airy ones.

KJN said:
Brownies...haven't tried that but shouldn't be too hard to do.

:wow:

Now that is a recipe I want for sure... I miss brownies!

With stuff like this, a cookbook would be a bestseller...

I thought I'd try and see if it was possible to make pasta from this recipe but the version I tried came out too brittle. It might work with xanthan gum, but I'm don't think that would be useful for people who have gut issues and I think it's usually made from corn too. In any case there's lots of exciting recipes to do with this and I'll like to do some small muffins with some type of butter icing.

Since the pasta didn't work out we made some hamburger buns instead:

IMG_0818.jpg

The texture and flavor came out really nicely. It holds together really well too. Oink.

Renaissance said:
I thought I'd try and see if it was possible to make pasta from this recipe but the version I tried came out too brittle. It might work with xanthan gum, but I'm don't think that would be useful for people who have gut issues and I think it's usually made from corn too. In any case there's lots of exciting recipes to do with this and I'll like to do some small muffins with some type of butter icing.

Since the pasta didn't work out we made some hamburger buns instead:
Earlier today, I was trying to wrap my mind around how to make pasta with the pork rinds as well, but couldn't figure out how to make that work.

I just did a search for pork rind pasta to see if anyone came up with anything and found some links for pig skin pasta/ramen/noodles. This may be a good way to do it as it has a similar texture to pasta when cooked. If I understand correctly, they may need to be soaked for at least 24 hours or cooked for awhile in order to soften up. Here's a link below:

_http://frombellytobacon.com/2012/06/25/pork-skin-noodles/

Back
Top Bottom