The Role of Meditation in the Work

sinimat said:
Once all problems have been resolved, there is no need to still be in this density. We move up to higher densities to do the necessary evolutionary work there.
But learning all the lessons of one's density does not necessarily mean all problems have been solved. For example our technology - if we were to go to 4th in a few years, it doesn't mean we accomplished technologically or artistically or in many other areas everything that there is to accomplish on 3rd. In fact, I think we're only scratching the surface of 3rd density technologically speaking. But I think that if all lessons are learned, then although you do not "know everything" about 3rd density, you know all that is needed to move on, everything else being just window dressing so to speak. Not to say that window dressing is so bad or useless as sometimes it can be a lot of fun too - just not necessary.

Great suggestions for meditation. Thank you all for your posts.
I have had some experiences recently I could use some advice on. I meditate without seed. Recently, in the past 3 weeks, when I meditate, images come, seemingly uncontrollably and rapidly. I get images of a Raggedy Ann doll and other childhood images.

The strangest, most consistent one is a peaceful old man/woman with a monk type outfit on and he/she is beckoning me. Like waving his/her hand saying “come on� It’s strange. I want to go where ever it is, but I don’t know how? It happens every time I try to meditate. He/she appears at some point and beckons. It’s also strange, but the image of this person seems to be above my head, if that makes sense. Like straight out in front and above my head if it were in real time. Where as the rest are 'out in front' . (Edit: not so strange, its a chakra) Any suggestions and should I try to go with this person? I think of Victor and the odoriferous timesharing demon and I pause…

50megz said:
I think of Victor and the odoriferous timesharing demon and I pause...
No doubt! Remember that you did not ask for this person, correct? Seems a little dubious to me...

50megz said:
He/she appears at some point and beckons. It’s also strange, but the image of this person seems to be above my head, if that makes sense. Like straight out in front and above my head if it were in real time. Where as the rest are 'out in front' . (Edit: not so strange, its a chakra) Any suggestions and should I try to go with this person? I think of Victor and the odoriferous timesharing demon and I pause…
Considering that there is evidence to suggest that literally anything can be projected into our minds, it might be worth taking these visions with a large pinch of salt…

Question everything.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like continuing to ignore it is the solution:D

50megz said:
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like continuing to ignore it is the solution:D
Also, it is really important to remember that "nobody is a nobody" - this is a literal truth, and one should always expect attack and learn how to counteract it. Awakening is not a game - and there are those who are literally fighting for their lives to make sure humanity stays asleep, and that means all of humanity. So, once you begin to want to awaken, you tend to garner special attention - be careful.

anart said:
Also, it is really important to remember that "nobody is a nobody" - this is a literal truth, and one should always expect attack and learn how to counteract it. Awakening is not a game - and there are those who are literally fighting for their lives to make sure humanity stays asleep, and that means all of humanity. So, once you begin to want to awaken, you tend to garner special attention - be careful.
Thank you for that Anart! I finished Wave 1 last night and had very strange dreams that tried to 'lure me back to the dark side', so to speak.

What tools do you use to counteract? Knowledge is protection, yes, but what else can I do?

50megz said:
What tools do you use to counteract? Knowledge is protection, yes, but what else can I do?
Learn. I don't say that to sound trite, it really is what you can do. Learn about yourself, your programs, how those keeping us work through you, and on you, to keep you limited and sleeping. Learn what parts of your thoughts are your own and what parts are not (initially, you may be shocked to find how little you think is 'you' is really you). Learn how you are sidelined, what tools 'they' use, what aspects of yourself invite their control. In order to 'do' anything, you must start with understanding exactly what is really going on and that starts with understanding yourself - what we call 'cleaning your machine' and then fusing a magnetic center. It is long, very difficult work, but it is 'what you can Do'.

For now - initially - read, and learn and read some more and pay very close attention to everything that goes on in your own mind - why is it there, where did it come from, what purpose is it serving - at least that is what has helped me.

anart said:
50megz said:
Learn. I don't say that to sound trite, it really is what you can do. Learn about yourself, your programs, how those keeping us work through you, and on you, to keep you limited and sleeping. Learn what parts of your thoughts are your own and what parts are not (initially, you may be shocked to find how little you think is 'you' is really you). Learn how you are sidelined, what tools 'they' use, what aspects of yourself invite their control. In order to 'do' anything, you must start with understanding exactly what is really going on and that starts with understanding yourself - what we call 'cleaning your machine' and then fusing a magnetic center. It is long, very difficult work, but it is 'what you can Do'.

For now - initially - read, and learn and read some more and pay very close attention to everything that goes on in your own mind - why is it there, where did it come from, what purpose is it serving - at least that is what has helped me.
I agree with Anart. This fits with the rest of the Cs idea:

1. Always expect attack
2. Learn modes of same
3. Learn how to counteract same.

In 1 there is already some degree of protection afforded - in trying to stay awake, being observant of oneself, surroundings and those we interact with. If eyes are already open there there is less chance of being caught off guard -attacks often seem to come when awareness slips, in a moment of 'sleep' a small slip can lead to a whole chain of unhelpful events that may have been foreseeable.

2. Pretty much reflects what Anart wrote above. "Modes of same" very much include knowledge of self as well as those around us and some study that might help to discern when events are being 'tinkered with' by other external influences. 'Know thyself' is a good place to begin study, just to observe without trying to change anything can be quite an eye opener. The thought being that if one tries to change things as they come up then the chance to observe them is lost, so just 'watching the machine' initially is helpful.

3. Seems to grow in tandem with 2. Partly efforts can be made to counteract the things observed in oneself after a time, then knowledge itself seems to act as a counter balance - as it becomes more apparent what course of action one might take in a given situation according to ones knowledge and how that may have effected ones Being. Harder to do a thing if it is already known to be unhelpful to ones aim.

Little by little things can change seems to be the way, so perhaps in terms of 'what to 'do'', being consistent in ones efforts would seem to be the way. Little steps might not seem much like 'doing' at the time, but lot of little steps can add up.

50megz said:
To add to what has already been said above I quoted an excerpt from the book Views From The Real World. One important tool that Gurdjieff mentiones is 'active reasoning' which takes much practice (emphasis in quote is mine).

Liberation leads to liberation.

These are the first words of truth—not truth in quotation marks but truth in the real meaning of the word; truth which is not merely theoretical, not simply a word, but truth that can be realized in practice. The meaning behind these words may be explained as follows:

By liberation is meant the liberation which is the aim of all schools, all religions, at all times.

This liberation can indeed be very great. All men desire it and strive after it. But it cannot be attained without the first liberation, a lesser liberation. The great liberation is liberation from influences outside us. The lesser liberation is liberation from influences within us.

At first, for beginners, this lesser liberation appears to be very great, for a beginner depends very little on external influences. Only a man who has already become free of inner influences falls under external influences.

Inner influences prevent a man from falling under external influences. Maybe it is for the best. Inner influences and inner slavery come from many varied sources and many independent factors—independent in that sometimes it is one thing and sometimes another, for we have many enemies.

There are so many of these enemies that life would not be long enough to struggle with each of them and free ourselves from each one separately. So we must find a method, a line of work, which will enable us simultaneously to destroy the greatest possible number of enemies within us from which these influences come.

I said that we have many independent enemies, but the chief and most active are vanity and self-love.

One teaching even calls them representatives and messengers of the devil himself. For some reason they are also called Mrs. Vanity and Mr. Self-Love.

As I have said, there are many enemies. I have mentioned only these two as the most fundamental. At the moment it is hard to enumerate them all. It would be difficult to work on each of them directly and specifically, and it would take too much time since there are so many. So we have to deal with them indirectly in order to free ourselves from several at once.

These representatives of the devil stand unceasingly at the threshold which separates us from the outside, and prevent not only good but also bad external influences from entering. Thus they have a good side as well as a bad side.

For a man who wishes to discriminate among the influences he receives, it is an advantage to have these watchmen. But if a man wishes all influences to enter, no matter what they may be—for it is impossible to select only the good ones—he must liberate himself as much as possible, and finally altogether, from these watchmen, whom some consider undesirable.

For this there are many methods, and a great number of means. Personally I would advise you to try freeing yourselves and to do so without unnecessary theorizing, by simple reasoning, active reasoning, with yourselves. Through active reasoning this is possible, but if anyone does not succeed, if he fails to do so by this method, there are no other means for what is to follow.

Take, for instance, self-love, which occupies almost half of our time and our life. If someone, or something, has wounded our self-love from outside, then, not only at that moment but for a long time afterwards, its momentum closes all the doors, and therefore shuts out life.

When I am connected with outside, I live. If I live only inside myself, it is not life; but everybody lives thus. When I examine myself, I connect myself with the outside.

For instance, now I sit here. M. is here and also K. We live together. M. called me a fool—I am offended. K. gave me a scornful look—I am offended. I consider, I am hurt and shall not calm down and come to myself for a long time.

All people are so affected, all have similar experiences the whole time. One experience subsides, but no sooner has it subsided than another of the same nature starts. Our machine is so arranged that there are no separate places where different things can be experienced simultaneously.

We have only one place for our psychic experiences. And so if this place is occupied with such experiences as these, there can be no question of our having the experiences we desire. And if certain attainments or liberations are supposed to bring us to certain experiences, they will not do so if things remain as they are.

M. called me a fool. Why should I be offended? Such things do not hurt me, so I don't take offense—not because I have no self-love; maybe I have more self-love than anyone here. Maybe it is this very self-love that does not let me be offended. I think, I reason in a way exactly the reverse of the usual way. He called me a fool. Must he necessarily be wise? He himself may be a fool or a lunatic. One cannot demand wisdom from a child. I cannot expect wisdom from him. His reasoning was foolish. Either someone has said something to him about me, or he has formed his own foolish opinion that I am a fool—so much the worse for him. I know that I am not a fool, so it does not offend me. If a fool has called me a fool, I am not affected inside.

But if in a given instance I was a fool and am called a fool, I am not hurt, because my task is not to be a fool; I assume this to be everyone's aim. So he reminds me, helps me to realize that I am a fool and acted foolishly. I shall think about it and perhaps not act foolishly next time.

So, in either case I am not hurt.

K. gave me a scornful look. It does not offend me. On the contrary, I feel sorry for him because of the dirty look he gave me. For a dirty look must have a reason behind it. Can he have such a reason?

I know myself. I can judge from my knowledge of myself. He gave me a dirty look. Possibly someone had told him something that made him form a bad opinion of me. I am sorry for him because he is so much a slave that he looks at me through other people's eyes. This proves that he is not. He is a slave and so, he cannot hurt me.

I say all this as an example of reasoning.

Actually, the secret and the cause of all such things lies in the fact that we do not possess ourselves nor do we possess genuine self-love. Self-love is a great thing. If we consider self-love, as we generally understand it, as reprehensible, then it follows that true self-love—which, unfortunately, we do not possess—is desirable and necessary.

Self-love is a sign of a high opinion of oneself. If a man has this self-love it proves what he is.

As we have said earlier, self-love is a representative of the devil; it is our chief enemy, the main brake to our aspirations and our achievements. Self-love is the principal weapon of the representative of hell.

But self-love is an attribute of the soul. By self-love one can discern the spirit.

Self-love indicates and proves that a given man is a particle of heaven. Self-love is I—I is God. Therefore it is desirable to have self-love.

Self-love is hell, and self-love is heaven. These two, bearing the same name, are outwardly alike, but totally different and opposite to one another in essence.

But if we look superficially, we can go on looking throughout our whole life without ever distinguishing the one from the other.

In the past week, paying attention to what goes on in my mind & attempting to determine where thoughts come from, as suggested was quite surprising, but effective. Also, in watching my 'machine' I was dumbfounded. Major overhaul needed there. It seemed that knowledge and reasoning seemed to take any power the thoughts and the programming had away, no matter how reasonable they seemed at the time. I appreciate the feedback and will continue to observe the strange "committee" that lives in my mind!

I have a question, could you please answer?

When I meditate I get really warm, I start to sweat etc. Last time when I meditated for not so long I experienced especially heat in my chest-area. Is this 'normal'? Have you also experienced this?

Hi Oxajil;

Based on research I've done at various times, it seems that a person could be subject to any and all kinds of reactions and feelings. There doesn't appear to be anything that one could say is "normal" for you. I have read all kids of stories about things people have experienced when starting some kind of meditation.
It all seems to depend on who you are, or perhaps, what lies just beneath the surface in terms of repression, suppression, something from the past currently in the present. It could also be just some current mental, emotional or physical state that you haven't been paying much conscious attention to. OSIT

Oxajil,

What posture are you in when meditating? Are you regulating the breath? Taoist practitioners who use both to increase levels of chi often describe heat sensations. They also use techniques to safeguard against chi becoming trapped in specific locations due to blockages that may prevent its natural flow, which is potentially harmful to health. If the heat is localized and is alarming, try eating some honey, or take a brisk walk, or both.

Oxajil said:
I have a question, could you please answer?

When I meditate I get really warm, I start to sweat etc. Last time when I meditated for not so long I experienced heat in my chest-area. Is this 'normal'? Have you also experienced this?
Meditation and Reiki sometimes makes me warmer. (To get warmer I might need to meditate in a sauna :)

A search on Google with “Meditation heat chest” gave 502,000 hits. “Meditation heat” gave 3,640,000 hits. So it is not uncommon and getting warmer rather than reaching ‘sweating hot’ is in all probability still more common.

Back
Top Bottom