The Russian Presidential Election 2018

Beau said:
I'm not really clued in as to who could possibly run, but what about Medvedev? Maybe Putin could steer him from behind the scenes geopolitically if he decides not to run, if Putin trusts him. But if Putin doesn't run, the West will have its lackeys lining up to snatch the presidency and move Russia towards a more pro-Empire stance.

I am not sure how far Putin trusts Medvedev. they seem to have developed a stable working relation over the years, but there has always been the spectre of Medvedev as an Atlanticist, being keen to make a deal with the Western fianancial elite, to be able to advance the Russian economy, which if true is doomed to fail.

Of course this is all information I got from Western media, albeit alternative ones, so maybe my impression is wrong - maybe some Russian members can elucidate this point to me?

I don't know much about Russian politics at all but I do hope Putin runs again. It has been delightful watching him outmanoeuvre the US and their deadly shenanigans. And as Beau posted a few relies back, if he doesn't run I'm sure the West will be looking to replace him with some sychophant that they can control, to the detriment of the world.

nicklebleu said:
I am not sure how far Putin trusts Medvedev. they seem to have developed a stable working relation over the years, but there has always been the spectre of Medvedev as an Atlanticist, being keen to make a deal with the Western fianancial elite, to be able to advance the Russian economy, which if true is doomed to fail.

Of course this is all information I got from Western media, albeit alternative ones, so maybe my impression is wrong - maybe some Russian members can elucidate this point to me?

It's not just Western media that labels Medvedev an Atlanticist. Alexander Dugin, a Russian writer, discusses him in his book Putin vs. Putin and puts him in that category as well. From what I've read it is Medvedev and whoever is in his camp that has been influencing the Russian economy towards a more neoliberal stance since 2000. But, it seems that in the last few years Putin has gradually taken more control of the direction of Russian economic policy, possibly because he realizes that having a neoliberal economic stance is not beneficial to Russia and its people.

Beau said:
nicklebleu said:

It's not just Western media that labels Medvedev an Atlanticist. Alexander Dugin, a Russian writer, discusses him in his book Putin vs. Putin and puts him in that category as well. From what I've read it is Medvedev and whoever is in his camp that has been influencing the Russian economy towards a more neoliberal stance since 2000. But, it seems that in the last few years Putin has gradually taken more control of the direction of Russian economic policy, possibly because he realizes that having a neoliberal economic stance is not beneficial to Russia and its people.

During Medvedev's term I've heard from Russians that while Putin and him got along, they had very different 'entourages' who were opposed to each other, fighting for influence and the policy direction. But that is just old hearsay, maybe a Russian member knows more about what's going on.

As to whether Putin will go for another term, I remember him saying in an interview that he deliberately chose to follow the constitution back then when Medvedev became president - to practice what he preaches and show people that the law is important. According to him, many of his supporters urged him to change the constitution so that he could run for another term, but he refused out of respect for the law.

My guess is that he will never 'retire' voluntarily, not because he's so power-hungry (Western media/politicians can't see any other reason because in the West, the concept of caring for one's country is unknown to the pathocrats!), but because he cares and knows that he knows what he's doing.

Laura said:
Niall said:
More on Navalny:

Origins of the anti-Russia sanctions: The CIA-MI6 plot to corrupt Russia, recruit Navalny, murder Magnitsky, and blame Putin (VIDEO)

I don't think he's a serious candidate for the presidency. Question is; will Putin run again?

He must be getting seriously tired. He's the same age as me and I'm tired.

In fact I think it is pretty likely that he is feeling/thinking similarly. Notice what he said at the end of last year.

In september last year Putin said:

angelburst29 said:
[...]
Putin Yet to Decide Whether to Take Part in 2018 Presidential Elections
https://sputniknews.com/russia/201609051044970281-putin-russia-2018-election/

Back dated 05.09.2016 - It is "far too early" to discuss the 2018 Russian presidential elections, Russian President Vladimir Putin said, noting he had yet to decide whether to run for another term.

"We are now on the brink of parliamentary elections. We need to hold these elections, to see the results. But after that, there will be almost another two years. So it’s far too early to speak about this," Putin told Bloomberg. "I haven’t yet made the decision for myself," he stated.
[...]

And then in december last year he explained in more detail, after being asked again if he will run:

http://vesselnews.io/putin-refuses-confirm-will-run-president-2018/ said:
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Friday he would decide on whether to participate in the next presidential election in due time, judging by the situation inside and outside the country.

“My answer will be a standard one. Time will show. I will see what is happening in the country and in the world. The decision on my participation or non-participation in the upcoming presidential election will be taken depending on what will have been done, what could be and should be done [by that time],” Putin said during the annual press conference on Friday, when asked about his participation in the 2018 election in Russia.

I don't think we will hear his answer before 2018.

luc said:
[...]My guess is that he will never 'retire' voluntarily, not because he's so power-hungry (Western media/politicians can't see any other reason because in the West, the concept of caring for one's country is unknown to the pathocrats!), but because he cares and knows that he knows what he's doing.

That could very well be, but I wouldn't be disappointed at all if he would decide to put an end to it. I would honor it. He really has done everything humanly possible to try to make a difference in russia and the world. But to what end have things really changed in the world with his enormous efforts put into it? I think that is also reflected in his statement above and his historic speech here. There is only so much one person can do and endure. At some point you have to make a pragmatic evaluation on what has being done what has been achieved and if it has changed things for the good in a broader sense and if there is even a point to make further attempts in that direction.

If Putin looks at the world rather objectively (which he is, I have no doubt about it) he is probably seeing that things have not changed overall and in fact, get worse by the day(see his speech above) . There is also a point that could be made that people like Putin (who are the rare exception in this word today) see things a bit different then ordinary people. As I see it, people like Putin, Gurdjieff, Laura etc. have already put so much real work and effort into STO values, that it is really not for us to make judgments or evaluations about their decisions.

If the world is burning and the collective human spirit has decided to let it burn down without resistance, there is nothing anyone can do about it, not even people like Putin. He might as well just sit back and "enjoy the show" for the rest of his stay on this crazy planet. I think he deserves it, period.

luc said:
During Medvedev's term I've heard from Russians that while Putin and him got along, they had very different 'entourages' who were opposed to each other, fighting for influence and the policy direction. But that is just old hearsay, maybe a Russian member knows more about what's going on.

Yes, indeed. Many believe that Putin either had no choice, or he had to act very carefully, and therefore he makes sure to "keep friends close, but enemies closer".

Recently in Russia there has been a rather small "scandal", initiated by Navalny, where he made a video about Medvedev's alleged corruption, and all the illegal wealth that he was able to accumulate. Navalny's allegations have many holes, and now he is even being sued by one of the largest Russian oligarchs.

Regardless of the fact that there could be some truth to those claims, many political bloggers in Russia say that it was a cheap trick and part of the intentional campaign to clean Medvedev's image in the eyes of the pro-Putin patriots. Because now they wouldn't want to get rid of Medvedev, "because it would mean that Navalny was right". But as I said, it was a rather obvious trick, so not many would fall for it.

The fact is that majority of Russians never really liked Medvedev. And definitely not on the level of Putin. They usually see him as some sort of dufus, obsessed with technological gadgets. So, regardless of his true connections, he isn't really a candidate for presidency.

As was mentioned in the previous posts, there are other people in Russia that could replace Putin, and are being prepared for this role. But many agree that it isn't going to happen in 2018, but in the next elections. Unless, of course, Putin will decide not to run next year already. We shell see.

Elections 2018: two-thirds of Russians want to see Putin re-elected
http://www.fort-russ.com/2017/05/elections-2018-two-thirds-of-russians.html

In 2018, two-thirds of Russians (64 percent) would like to see Vladimir Putin re-elected for another term as President. Another 22 percent would like for him to be replaced by another person, as reported by Interfax in the Levada-Center (poll.) Around 14 percent of respondents did not answer the question.

The survey was conducted from 21 to 24 April - sociologists asked respondents for whom they would vote if presidential elections were to be held next Sunday. According to the poll, Putin would be supported by 48 percent of Russians as a whole, and 83 per cent among those who would be ready to vote in the hypothetical elections.

Meanwhile, 3 percent would vote for the LDPR leader Vladimir Zhirinovsky. For the Communist Party leader, Gennady Zyuganov -three to four percent. For oppositionist Aleksei Navalniy - one to two percent.

Police have detained the participants of an unauthorized rally in St. Petersburg, Kemerovo and Kazan, titled "Tired of You." This was reported by
the NGO organization which initiated the action "Open Russia" (owned by Khodorkovsky) on its YouTube channel.

Small turnout against Putin - Oligarch Khodorkovsky's supporters detained
http://www.fort-russ.com/2017/05/small-turnout-against-putin-oligarch.html

In St Petersburg, it is alleged that the police detained between 15 and 50 people, out of a total of 300 who participated in the action. The police asked them to disperse - but the arrests occurred when the activists refused.

In Kazan, about 10 people gathered. There was one detained activist of "Open Russia" - Darya Kulakova.

In Kemerovo, police arrested 13 people.

"Open Russia", which is funded by the fugitive oligarch Mihail KHodorkovsky, promises free legal protection to all detainees. The action "Tired" is held against the nomination Vladimir Putin for the presidency in 2018.

While Western media will spin this to represent a lack of democracy in Russia, the fact is Khodorkovsky has a long standing antipathy to the "Putin regime", even though he was pardoned by the President from prison in 2013. His anti-government NGOs still freely operate on the ground, and on the internet.

"Окружения" возможно были разные, но центр решений был один, очень четкий. Отставка московского мэра и война в Южной Осетии это явно проиллюстрировали.

Translation
"Entourage" may have been different, but the solution center was a single, very clear. The resignation of the mayor of Moscow and the war in South Ossetia is clearly illustrated.

The fact is that majority of Russians never really liked Medvedev. And definitely not on the level of Putin. They usually see him as some sort of dufus, obsessed with technological gadgets. So, regardless of his true connections, he isn't really a candidate for presidency.

Медведев, еще до того как он стал президентом, вполне отчетливо себя показал народу, да и по прежнему показывает, поэтому как он называется не имеет принципиального значения. Прежнее его президентство ни секунду не выглядело как результат действительно выбора, но только как первая фаза спланированной рокировки, что и подтвердили последующие события. Нынешнее его премьерство, соответственно является следующим актом той самой рокировки. Исходя из этого он, конечно, не является самостоятельным кандидатом в президенты, но ведь есть шанс того, что прежний вариант рокировки покажется опять наиболее удобным. Тогда он вполне может опять стать президентом России. Кстати, хочу напомнить или познакомить тех кто не в курсе, что перед теми выборами был период, когда существовал некий вид конкуренции между Медведевым и Ивановым за место той самой ладьи, которая рокируется с королем (кто есть король очевидно). Это выражалось в синхронном начале мелькания этих лиц на телеэкранах. Одномоментно нам очень навязчиво стали показывать как эти два персонажа днем и ночью, "не щадя живота своего", трудятся на благо народа. Сейчас ситуация довольно похожая. Не смотря на то, что наиболее важные заседания правительства проходят под руководством президента и острыми текущими делами ( например состояние борьбы с лесными пожарами в сибири ) занимается тоже президент, нам начали активно показывать как Дмитрий Анатольевич Медведев все время где-то на местах с умным видом во что-то вникает и раздает руководящие указания, а вот Лаврова на телеэкранах стало меньше. Если судить по аналогии с той ситуацией, о которой я написал выше, то нынешние конкуренты это Медведев и Шойгу.

Translation
Medvedev, even before he became President, quite clearly showed himself to the people, and still shows, that is why how he is called does not matter. His presidency never did not seem to be the result really of choice, but only as the first phase of a planned reshuffle, and it was confirmed by subsequent events. His current Premiership, respectively, is the next act of the same reshuffle. On this basis he is, of course, not an independent candidate, but there's a chance that the old version of castling seems again the most convenient. Then he may again become President of Russia. By the way, I want to remind you or to introduce those who do not know that before those elections there was a period when there was some kind of competition between Medvedev and Ivanov for the place the rook to be castled with the king (who is the king obviously). This was expressed in the beginning of the synchronous flashing of these persons on television. Simultaneously some have become very Intrusive to show us how these two persons day and night, "not sparing the stomach", are working for the good of the people. Now the situation is quite similar. Despite the fact that the most important government meeting held under the leadership of President and sharp current Affairs ( e.g. the state of the fight against forest fires in Siberia ) is also a President, some started to show us how Dmitry Medvedev all the time somewhere on the ground with a clever look into something involved and gives guidance, but Lavrov for instance on television became less. Judging by analogy with the situation about which I wrote above, the current competitors is Medvedev and Shoigu.

"Open Russia", which is funded by the fugitive oligarch Mihail KHodorkovsky, promises free legal protection to all detainees.

Здесь я бы сделал замечание о бесполезности упоминания таких персонажей как Ходорковский, Каспаров, Навальный и пр. ввиду категорической малочисленности поддерживающих их людей. На мой взгляд, если кто и может повредить власти в России, это сама эта власть в разных ее проявлениях. Для примера приведу название Государственной Думы РФ прошлого созыва - взбесившийся принтер. Так этот орган государственной власти назвали за бесконечную серию новых законов и поправок к прежним законам имеющим целью ограничить права и возможности граждан в самых разных областях от политических манифестаций до правил дорожного движения и употребления алкоголя. Нынешний созыв Госдумы еще не успел себя проявить, но вот Совет Федерации своими предложениями ограничить в правах целые категории граждан достойно поддерживает традиции антинародной политики.

Translation
Here, I would made a remark about the futility of mentioning such characters as Khodorkovsky, Kasparov, Navalny, etc. due to the small number of support of their people. In my opinion, if someone can damage power in Russia, it is itself this power in its various forms. For example, the name of the State Duma of the previous convocation - enraged printer. So the public authority has called for an endless series of new laws and amendments to laws designed to restrict the rights and opportunities of citizens in various fields from political demonstrations to traffic regulations and alcohol consumption. The current convocation of the state Duma has not had time to prove itself, but the Federation Council its proposals to restrict the rights of entire categories of citizens supports the traditions of the anti-people policies.

On May 4, the Civil Society Development Foundation (FORGO) presented a report on the phenomenon of "Putin’s majority". The research is based on the data of Romir (the exclusive representative of Gallup International in Russia and the CIS), the All-Russian Center for the Study of Public Opinion (VCIOM) and the Public Opinion Foundation (FOM).

The Way Western Sanctions are Prolonging Putin's Reign
http://www.fort-russ.com/2017/05/the-way-western-sanctions-are.html

According to the report, the level of electoral support of Russian President Vladimir Putin is 61-66%, but the number of his supporters is growing,
despite the economic and foreign policy difficulties. At the same time, among young people, who will vote for the first time in the presidential election in March 2018, 65% are going to support Vladimir Putin.

But that's not all. Sociologists note that on the day of elections, many of those who at the time of the poll could not vote, were in favour of the current head of state. As a result, Vladimir Putin can get 70-75% of the votes.

I believe that these figures are close to real. In Russia, in recent years (even before the Crimean events) a paradox has developed: a low rating of the government and economic difficulties are not closely related to the rating of the head of state. Attitude to the head of the government, D. Medvedev and the liberal ministers of the economic bloc, on the part of the majority ranges from neutral-negative to sharply negative.

In the public mind, discontent with the economic or political situation is placed mainly on this party of the Russian government. In Western analytical studies, or in Russian opposition, this attitude of society to Putin is interpreted almost by tsarist inclinations of Russians. It's enough to look at the news column of the German news publication Deutsche Welle, to be sure of this: Putin is often termed a king (by analogy with the "sultan" Erdogan). This, in my opinion, is a strong oversimplification. With the same or even with great success, Angela Merkel can be called, for example, "Madame the Fuhrer."

The paradox, repeatedly, celebrated for many years by sociological surveys, is due not to the clever political moves of Vladimir Putin's entourage and, moreover, not to the tsarist inclinations of the Russians. It's more correct to talk not about Putin's high electoral ratings, but about the people's confidence in him. The older and middle generations of Russians remember what Russia was under President Yeltsin. Then the Russians experienced collective shame for their president, the country was on the threshold of economic collapse, and in 1999 on the verge of collapse.

Having succumbed to the early Russian Yeltsin populism, I believe they gained immunity toward street populism. Therefore, I consider the possibility of a "colour revolution" in Russia to be low. The reason for this is the mental differences between the inhabitants of Russia and the inhabitants of Ukraine, but also the influence of President Putin's presidency. If the bureaucracy as a whole remained the same as in Yeltsin's time, then society radically changed.

In Russia, the prevailing social ideology is social conservatism. Putin takes these moods into account and, probably, they are close to his persona too. The Crimean events demonstrated that Putin's patriotism and sovereignty is not only a declaration. Therefore, at least two-thirds of Russian society support it. Putin is interesting as a modern-day strong leader. Putin made strength and muscularity in world politics fashionable again.

The sanctions against Russia, led by the West since 2014, aimed to strike at a weak point (in the view of Western strategists), the Achilles heel: the interaction between power and the people. In reality, the sanctions only increased support for Vladimir Putin in Russia.

This example is not entirely politically correct, but still explains Russian psychology: the complex, highly hostile attitude of a large part of society to Stalin with the onset of German aggression in Russia (the Soviet Union) was replaced by unconditional support for him. At that moment, to be against Stalin objectively meant to be for Hitler - and for the occupation of the country by the Third Reich. I believe that this is how many critically-minded Russians think (as does the author of these lines).

Understanding the many (more precisely, very many) challenges and contradictions to Putin's presidential rule, this part of Russian society understands that Putin's replacement will be the strongest test for Russia. And maybe even a shock. And the circumstance that Putin is, for the mainstream Western media - a dangerous figure - only increases the level of support for him.

Therefore, in the Elections of 2018, the overwhelming majority of voters will vote for Vladimir Putin.

Here is a link to the video of Putin giving awards to various individuals.

Maybe the most interesting part starts from 03:34 when Vasily Borisovich, Russian actor, gives a nice speech and hopes that Putin will stay as a president.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3JisnTTS2E

youlik said:
Now the situation is quite similar. Despite the fact that the most important government meeting held under the leadership of President and sharp current Affairs ( e.g. the state of the fight against forest fires in Siberia ) is also a President, some started to show us how Dmitry Medvedev all the time somewhere on the ground with a clever look into something involved and gives guidance, but Lavrov for instance on television became less. Judging by analogy with the situation about which I wrote above, the current competitors is Medvedev and Shoigu.

Yes, it is clear that the situation is much more nuanced than may appear on the surface. Also your comments about excessive creation of various laws and campaigns (like the crazy anti-smoking campaign by the Ministry of Health) is on the money. How awesome it would be to learn even about a fraction of "internal conflicts" Putin and his team have to deal with on a daily basis.

How awesome it would be to learn even about a fraction of "internal conflicts" Putin and his team have to deal with on a daily basis.

Есть такой человек по фамилии Хазин. В 90-е он работал в правительстве РФ. Перед американскими выборами он сказал, что в случае проигрыша Клинтон, экономическая часть правительства России будет заменена, т.к. персоналии работавшие в этой области в правительстве РФ выдвигались и поддерживались теми же силами, что выдвигали Клинтон. Теперь после выборов с известным результатом мы имеем господина Улюкаева, бывшего министра экономического развития, отстраненного от должности в связи с обвинением в получении взятки. Возникает сразу много вопросов. Этот господин раньше взяток не брал? Сомнительно, а если он брал, то почему с ним раньше не стали разбираться? Не хотели разбираться или не могли трогать? На мой взгляд это показывает, что щупальца "глобалистов" достаточно прочно укоренились в правящих кругах Российской Федерации.

Translation
There's a man by the names of Khazin. In the 90s he worked in the Russian government. Before the us elections he said that in case of loss of Clinton, the economic part of the government of Russia will be replaced, because individuals working in this field in the Russian government nominated and supported by the same forces that had nominated Clinton. Now after the elections with known results, we have Mr. Ulyukayev, a former economic development Minister, accused of receiving a bribe. It raises many questions. Gentleman, before not to take bribes? Doubtful, but if he took, then why earlier did not understand? Didn't want to understand or couldn't touch? In my opinion it shows that the tentacles of the "globalists" is firmly entrenched in the ruling circles of the Russian Federation.

Back
Top Bottom