This forum helped inspire my first novel

100c said:
voyageur said:
100c, you mentioned Stephan Donaldson (and many others) linked as acknowledgements. What influences from Donaldson are most recalled? Just interested as I've read a couple of his series including the last to its conclusion, 'The Last Dark', which concluded 30 years of writing that story (since 1977).

Look forward to the continuation of Silent Subversion.

Firstly, yes I used that word, I would just like to say that my first series will be concluded in < 30 years.

Now to the meat of your question. I was most impressed with The Gap Cycle series and how the story could capture my attention so strongly. Those experiences reading showed me how powerful of an influence a story can be. It's been a while, but I remember Angus Thermopyle and how horrible he was, but Stephen wrote from his perspective and I could actually root for him in some parts of the story. That's kind of how I experienced one of my characters and you can probably guess which one.

At a very young age, I remember hating the first book I read of his first series, The Thomas Covenant. I quit that one when the main character raped a young girl and he wrote as if it was OK, or that's what I remember at least. Who knows, maybe I would have liked the story, had I kept reading. I also liked the Mirror of her Dreams and the next book.

"I would just like to say that my first series will be concluded in < 30 years." :D

Yeah, The Gap Cycle had its interesting moments, and the Amnion reminded me of Jacobs discussion on SoTT Radio - like they are 'Walking Among Us'. How the Amnion manipulated DNA creating variations, changed beings with some exactly human-like. And as recalled, Stephan wrote; reading between the lines, of an earth that was corrupted by corporation - by the pathological types that ran them, and then humanity found the wherewithal to reel-them-in, to yoke them. Initially, this was because of their tampering with genetics (Monsanto-like), yet like now, they manipulated from the shadows. Similar to today, back then Stephan had the shadowy figures turning some people into exploding weapons against their will and knowledge - created false flags with people wherever they felt the need to put fear into others and achieve their warped aims. It was not long after reading this in his fiction - a decade maybe, that it seem to go live around our world as a tool to heighten fear, to blame others and steer foreign policy.

As for Covenant, the series was passed along to me by my brother, and the first decade of books were more or less omitted - so picked up the story along the way. And yes, the character mentioned did initially feel some sort of indifference to his horrible actions. The later books referenced this often as the character was being eaten away by his own leprosy. The story did evolve in some interesting ways involving hyperdimensional aspects and variegated understandings of the world around the many different characters etc.

As usual, I am afraid that if I read his books again I will not like them, as my tastes have changed over the years.

Hear what you are saying, there are many authors that I would not read another of their books as the words in their stories maintains certain programed thinking that lead nowhere, except to lock in the standard historical narratives always employed.

Anyway, was curious as you had that author listed.

Thanks for the reply.

voyageur said:
Yeah, The Gap Cycle had its interesting moments, and the Amnion reminded me of Jacobs discussion on SoTT Radio - like they are 'Walking Among Us'. How the Amnion manipulated DNA creating variations, changed beings with some exactly human-like. And as recalled, Stephan wrote; reading between the lines, of an earth that was corrupted by corporation - by the pathological types that ran them, and then humanity found the wherewithal to reel-them-in, to yoke them. Initially, this was because of their tampering with genetics (Monsanto-like), yet like now, they manipulated from the shadows. Similar to today, back then Stephan had the shadowy figures turning some people into exploding weapons against their will and knowledge - created false flags with people wherever they felt the need to put fear into others and achieve their warped aims. It was not long after reading this in his fiction - a decade maybe, that it seem to go live around our world as a tool to heighten fear, to blame others and steer foreign policy.

I'm glad you gave a more in-depth analysis of the Gap Cycle. Your comments helped recall my fond memories of those books, other than my admiration for Donaldson as a writer. I read those books before my awakening from christianity, but I remember enjoying how they showed a more colorful world, possibly a more accurate view of how society might work in such a setting. You almost make me want to read them again. Maybe I will, after I've read all the other books on my to read list, and after all the other books I plan to write...

Woodsman said:
Woodsman said:
Hi!

Do you have a website where I can order a copy directly from you? A private digital e-payment from me with a download link sent to my email from you would work for me, and that way you'd get 100% of the proceeds.

Amazon is basically evil incarnate and I would prefer not to support them.

I look forward to reading your work!

Cheers!

I think the epub format is great. -I like how it is able to re-format itself to fit the screen of my standard little reader when I change font size and such. PDF files, I find, are less accommodating on small screens.

Thank-you!

OK, I finally got everything to work on my site, but only for Paypal transactions for the EPUB format.
At the moment, I don't want to set up functionality for credit cards.

The book link at Anxiety Publishing has all the purchase options.
http://anxietypub.com/silent-subversion-one/

Sorry for the wait. Silent Subversion II is now in the hands of the final proof-readers. It took me about 50 days to get it in final form and squeeze as much of the typos and other issues from it. I predict the release date to be mid-December (of this year:).

I'm very excited about the illustrator for book II, Amy O'Hanlon. You can see some of her art at the following site, <<amyohanlon.com>>. She has amazing versatility and I can't wait for her to translate the scenes and characters to the visual world.

Silent Subversion III is in the works.

100c said:
Sorry for the wait. Silent Subversion II is now in the hands of the final proof-readers. It took me about 50 days to get it in final form and squeeze as much of the typos and other issues from it. I predict the release date to be mid-December (of this year:).

I'm very excited about the illustrator for book II, Amy O'Hanlon. You can see some of her art at the following site, <<amyohanlon.com>>. She has amazing versatility and I can't wait for her to translate the scenes and characters to the visual world.

Silent Subversion III is in the works.

Looking forward to the read. Thanks for the heads up, 100c!

Well done and good for you, 100c! Will also order on kindle and sm excited already to let my partner finally read a fiction book from this perspective. Perhaps the work of your book serves others in ways you can't even imagine!

Rudy said:
Well done and good for you, 100c! Will also order on kindle and sm excited already to let my partner finally read a fiction book from this perspective. Perhaps the work of your book serves others in ways you can't even imagine!

Thank you! Fiction can be very powerful, when you consider how much brainwashing is accomplished through entertainment. I would bet that more people are brainwashed by movies and serial shows than by the news or public education. We're inundated by shows about the good government agents fighting the evil terrorists. I enjoy entertainment that contains real history, real science and the real mechanics of society. Ideas are most convincing or credible when set in the right context.

100c said:
Rudy said:

Thank you! Fiction can be very powerful, when you consider how much brainwashing is accomplished through entertainment. I would bet that more people are brainwashed by movies and serial shows than by the news or public education. We're inundated by shows about the good government agents fighting the evil terrorists. I enjoy entertainment that contains real history, real science and the real mechanics of society. Ideas are most convincing or credible when set in the right context.

I'm also glad to know that the second volume will be available soon, 100c, and I agree with you that it's possible and desirable to insert real issues and priorities in a work of fiction, definitely. And to put real inspiration in a certain context, tothether with some great illustrations to enrich the reading experience, is all the better. Keep up the good work!

100c said:
Rudy said:

I do agree with you on the brainwashing that is going on via entertainment, 100cc, fiction however with a dose of truth mixed in. I find it in tv series for young adults as well, series like Charmed, Supernatural etc. Good vs evil via hyper dimensions is being played out with our heroes in the know of this horrifying reality while most people completely ignorant. Guess these writers are also doorways for dissemination of information and disinformation. Good to have you out there 100cc!

My first negative review (on Goodreads) confirmed my expectation: Stories set in the real world will likely offend those who are fans of the establishment's fantasy world.

I'm grateful for the review, actually. Opposition is a good thing!

The Review:
I need to be honest that I suspect this book is probably a love or hate sort of story, and I unfortunately did not like it even one bit. It took a month to get through, and it was very painful.

The story is creative and well-thought-out, but the politics and blatent, consistent anger sour the whole thing. I feel like if I had to write a synopsis for this, I'd write:

"A group of angry libertarians have an invention that promises them the ability to leave Earth to be with 'people more like them' and not 'the masses' who accept government corruption and manipulation through regulations and taxation. They experience some extra-terrestrial phenomena that adds an element of 'weird' to their goings on, and they've got an awkward relationship with the FBI."

For the record, the characters are also all annoyingly one-dimensional and one-track-minded.

I don't recommend this book for anyone who isn't from the United States or Mexico, because it really just doesn't connect to the philosophies of governance and society in many other places.

100c said:
My first negative review (on Goodreads) confirmed my expectation: Stories set in the real world will likely offend those who are fans of the establishment's fantasy world.

I don't know if it was a good idea to post a negative review. I thought it was funny.

Until Book II is published, I'll just leave the latest review below (a positive one). It's funny to read because the writer is not a native English speaker. Got to give her credit for writing her review in English. Broken English can be fun sometimes. Take it from someone who is surrounded at their work by Taiwanese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Indians. I'm the minority among the engineers :D

located at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29477428-silent-subversion-i

"...When i found the pack in the mail in a morning, i become so excited for read, i'm naturally attracted for Sci-Fi books, and the author made a really great job.
I'm finish the book in a very fast mood, by the way i can sit and reads a lot of pages for hours.
I love the way that the characters come on the storyline and the fact that every chapter starts with a quote.
The story have elements of drama and i adore it!
Looking forward to the next book, i become really into the plot and i really, really, can say i adore the
characters Taylor, haha, and a little bit Freddy after the story progress.
If you love Sci-Fi, drama and mistery, read this book! Oh, and if its not your book taste read it anyway, haha, its a good choice to come out of your confort zone of literature. And i really recommend this too for the mature readers, i think is a story complex at same time, and this is good, the author take it to heart.
I'm again saying the author made a amazing job, i can't wait for the next! Yay, please a next book! And thats is a prove that won me over.

(Sorry for possible mistakes)"

Just a small delay on Book II, and here's why: http://anxietypub.com/the-black-sky/

If you've ever watched those high altitude balloon videos and wondered why no stars ever showed, you might be interested in my latest article. I'm always mesmerized by all the blackness, with only the Sun and Earth showing. I've never fully accepted the typical explanation about exposure settings so I did my own image analysis and fell down another one of those hidden rabbit holes.

100c said:
Just a small delay on Book II, and here's why: http://anxietypub.com/the-black-sky/

If you've ever watched those high altitude balloon videos and wondered why no stars ever showed, you might be interested in my latest article. I'm always mesmerized by all the blackness, with only the Sun and Earth showing. I've never fully accepted the typical explanation about exposure settings so I did my own image analysis and fell down another one of those hidden rabbit holes.

Hey 100c, I've read what you wrote in the link above but I'm struggling to understand it. What is being implicated is that our 'starry sky' is only visible from below our atmosphere? And that there's a conspiracy to show the stars and other cosmic bodies as visible even though they may not be visible (as such) if we were to see them ouside our planet?

latulipenoire said:
Hey 100c, I've read what you wrote in the link above but I'm struggling to understand it. What is being implicated is that our 'starry sky' is only visible from below our atmosphere?

In the article, I present what I consider to be interesting information and my own speculation about what it means.
Information: I could find no evidence of starlight at high atmosphere, being in the visible spectrum. This is not to say the starlight is nonexistent, but that human eyes (and cameras tuned to human eye frequencies) will not be able to detect it. A well respected physicist predicted this in the early forties and all amateur video from the upper atmosphere only shows a black sky without stars. The upper atmosphere is partially ionized by the high energy light (x-ray/gamma) and after relaxing to lower energy states, re-emits light in the visible spectrum. This is why the hubble telescope and other high altitude photographs are taken in different wavelengths.

latulipenoire said:
...And that there's a conspiracy to show the stars and other cosmic bodies as visible even though they may not be visible (as such) if we were to see them outside our planet?

I really don't know what it means, but it is fun to speculate. From a practical viewpoint, it might not be accurate to call it a conspiracy. The space agencies just aren't telling the general public the whole story...they're dumbing it down for the public which is getting less and less educated. As a graduate student, I used to be a teacher's assistant for basic chemistry and I would teach a couple times a week. I was amazed to find that the majority of students had no idea how to do simple math and to understand basic theory...
For example, most of the Earth images produced by NASA are low orbit images pasted together in what they call composites. The general understanding is that they were taken from far away to be one shot of the Earth but were not done so. Another example is when they will take images of some nebula but in wavelengths not detectable by the human eye. When they show the image, the higher/lower wavelengths are assigned colors that we can see. Is this a conspiracy? No, it's easier to just show the images.

Great to hear that you wrote this book brilliant stuff! I have been inspired by the Cassiopaean work also, I will endeavour to read your book in the future! I've gently started writing a book based on the legend of the fall and how our DNA was manipulated as described by the C's, the burning off of DNA all that time ago. Also I'd love to write about the hyperdimensional aspect.
It is set in damp old London town house and follows the story of a woman who is dragged into becoming something like an unlikely hero when her brother accidentally stumbles on something revolutionary whilst studying epigenetics, needless to say he gets targeted by the control system.
It's based on the ideas of the cassiopaean work and Gurdieff and Sufism as that is my mum's background. I'm not really a writer but I think that putting some of this info into a work of fiction would probably make the best book/film ever! Ive been thinking about this for years, just couldn't help myself.
I hope know one minds me using the Cassiopaean work as inspiration. I can't imagine finishing the book at the moment yet let alone getting it published lol. Who knows maybe I will finish it one day.
:D

Back
Top Bottom