TMS for OCD

Hello there.

Do somebody already tried this or knows if it's good?
My doctor wants to try this as i don't want any medication.

- What is TMS?
- Wikipedia : Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a form of neurostimulation. TMS is a non-invasive procedure in which a changing magnetic field is used to cause electric current to flow in a small targeted region of the brain via electromagnetic induction.
- Any adverse effects?
- Wikipedia : "Adverse effects of TMS are uncommon, and include fainting and rarely seizure.[7] Other adverse effects of TMS include discomfort or pain, hypomania, cognitive changes, hearing loss, and inadvertent current induction in implanted devices such as pacemakers or defibrillators.[7]
Although TMS is generally regarded as safe, risks increase for therapeutic rTMS compared to single or paired TMS for diagnostic purposes.[16] In the field of therapeutic TMS, risks increase with higher frequencies.[7]
The greatest immediate risk is the rare occurrence of syncope (fainting) and even less commonly, induced seizures.[7][17]
Other adverse short-term effects of TMS include discomfort or pain, transient induction of hypomania, transient cognitive changes, transient hearing loss, transient impairment of working memory, and induced currents in electrical circuits in implanted devices.
[7]"
- Who invented it?
- Wikipedia : "Luigi Galvani did pioneering research on the effects of electricity on the body in the late 1700s, and laid the foundations for the field of electrophysiology.[62] In the 1800s Michael Faraday discovered that an electrical current had a corresponding magnetic field, and that changing one, could change the other.[63] Work to directly stimulate the human brain with electricity started in the late 1800s, and by the 1930s electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) has been developed by Italian physicians Cerletti and Bini.[62] ECT became widely used to treat mental illness and became overused as it began to be seen as a "psychiatric panacea", and a backlash against it grew in the 1970s.[62] Around that time Anthony T. Barker began exploring use of magnetic fields to alter electrical signalling in the brain, and the first stable TMS devices were developed around 1985.[62][63] They were originally intended as diagnostic and research devices, and only later were therapeutic uses explored.[62][63] The first TMS devices were approved by the FDA in October 2008.[62]"

Well, seems an experimental tool not to be put in all hands! A little scary! :D The process seems random. x) I am not sure to do it. I'll take a mountain bath instead. Well, i will see, but, i am a little bit on the lookout.

Well, thank you and peace.

I think this should have similar caveats as neurofeedback methods which apply electrical signals to the brain. It doesn't seem to be a good idea to try and correct the brain through direct stimulation with electric or magnetic fields because it is the brain's self-regulation that needs to be improved. And for that, it needs natural inputs to attune to rather than being disrupted by spurious inputs which have no natural basis and which it is not adapted to deal with. The principle in direct brain stimulation seems to be to disrupt the brain in such a way that the symptoms are relieved, and this does not seem wise to me, even if it might seem to work.

There are also statements by the Cs to the effect that powerful EM fields can even facilitate possession.

I agree with monotonic - not a method to mess with lightly.

I remember one of the preeminent Russian neuroscientist (Kropotov) in a workshop on QEEG mentioned this technique and he said that he used it rarely in very specific circumstances, but then with good effect. But he would always do a QEEG prior to the application.

Back
Top Bottom