Tooth abscess

KTC

Jedi Council Member
FOTCM Member
My son (11) has an abscess on his top molars. He has struggles with poor tooth health since he was a baby as he has a tongue tie.

We tried getting the tongue tie lasered but it was very traumatic since his tie is very close to the muscle and the surgeon ended up just burning a massive scar into the base of his tongue and making my son petrified of dentists.

You don’t realise how much we use our tongue to keep our teeth clean throughout the day until you see someone with a tongue tie as attached as my sons.

Anyways, my sons adult molars are finally making their way down slowly but it is causing a few issues as the left over rotten teeth are getting pushed out.

We have a good diet (paleo for him) but the dentist is always banging on about us ‘obviously’ feeding our son excessive fruit or sugar foods even though we don’t. I’ve been to 3 dentists and they all accuse us of poor diet even though we don’t do fruit juice (except once a week as a treat he gets a fresh made juice from the markets) and I’ve never fed my son dried fruit and rarely packet foods.

In any case, this abscess has caused quite the stir w my sons face swollen to look like a chipmunk and even a black eye.

On the first day of swelling I gave him hourly:
Clove oil, peppermint oil and bicarbonate mouth wash
Ferrum phos
Hepar Sulphuris
Cold compress
Panadol to help sleep (once at night)

second day repeat
Plus zinc and liposomal C

third day repeat and upped the liposomal C to 4x doses for the day.
Fresh garlic crushed w coconut oil and put on the abscess 4x for the day

My poor boy still has the swelling and black eye so I am taking him to the dentist.

We don’t have a holistic dentist where we live and every time we go (which is only ever for emergency care), no matter who we see, we get the same bullying tactics trying to push fluoride on us and not believing that our diet is good - my son eats a little bit of organic spelt bread - apart from that, good fats (butter, ghee, coconut oil), home made bone broth in our cooking, grass fed organic meat, home layed eggs, veg and a bit of fruit. He has the best diet of any kid we know.

I also have a course of amoxicillin in the fridge that was prescribed ages ago but we never took. My son has never had antibiotics but when I look at him he is in so much discomfort and we are doing all the natural things we can to help him but he has been up since 3am sitting in the shower. He’s gone back to bed now but I think I will give him the course of antibiotics :(

I’m not sure what to do for him. We do have some very good gut flora capsules so I guess I’ll give him a 30 day course of them to help heal his gut from the damage the penicillin will do?

we have the ‘heal tooth decay’ book and have followed all the protocols since he was a toddler. It seems his teeth are a weak point despite doing ‘all the things’

Apologies if this is a bit all over the place but it is 4:30am and I’ve not slept much for a couple of nights playing nurse.. and researcher!

I’m open to advice

My daughter (who's also has bad teeth since she was a small kid - she's now 17) had a tooth abscess last year, right before the lockdown. I took her to the dentist who prescribed antibiotics and I gave her without hesitation, given how painful it was.
3 months later, she went back to the dentist for more extensive work on the affected tooth.
But yeah, antibiotics was the only way to relieve the pain and fix the problem temporarily. In case of emergencies like this, antibiotics it is (as far as I'm concerned).

My daughter (who's also has bad teeth since she was a small kid - she's now 17) had a tooth abscess last year, right before the lockdown. I took her to the dentist who prescribed antibiotics and I gave her without hesitation, given how painful it was.
3 months later, she went back to the dentist for more extensive work on the affected tooth.
But yeah, antibiotics was the only way to relieve the pain and fix the problem temporarily. In case of emergencies like this, antibiotics it is (as far as I'm concerned).
Thanks for sharing @Adaryn. Did the dentist drain the abscess at the time? My understanding is that the abscess can be dissolved by the body but I have read a lot about them being drained to release the pressure too..

Thanks for sharing @Adaryn. Did the dentist drain the abscess at the time? My understanding is that the abscess can be dissolved by the body but I have read a lot about them being drained to release the pressure too..
I wasn't actually present during the visit and as the dentist received her urgently, it was pretty hectic and due to the lockdown right after, I wasn't able to do a follow up with him so he could explain what he did, but I'm pretty sure he drained the abscess (the dentist we saw later and who took up her case was a different one). It took 3 other visits to that other dentist to fix the problem (he thoroughly cleaned the underlying infection, and he fitted a crown on her tooth, plus on another damaged tooth).

I don't have much advice to give, but I just wanted to say that I can understand trying to avoid antibiotics, yet, I think that sometimes, that's the only way to deal quickly and effectively with some acute problems, such as an abscess that is causing so much pain and trouble.

As you say, you can replenish him afterwards with probiotics and add fermented food such as sauerkraut, water kefir and kombucha to his diet. Probiotics in this form are also very good for teeth health because they also work on the mouth itself helping fight harmful microorganisms. And both kefir and kombucha can be made into an interesting fizzy drinks for the young too :-).

Here's an article on the topic.
(It is just one of those summary articles and it kind of suggests shifting to a plant-based diet, but the info on probiotics for gum health may lead you to some more in depth research)

Have you tried giving him good quality xylitol gums? It seems that some people also notice benefits from chewing this type of gums and there seems to be a lot of research done on the benefits of xylitol for teeth health.

Thanks @Yas yes we use the Xylitol gum. We are at the dentist now and he said that Cassidys teeth are in good shape w the new one coming through but these baby teeth are causing issues so he wants to pull them out. Problem is his face is too swollen to get the teeth out and the anaesthetic nor happy gas wasn’t enough. We are off to the hospital now for IV antibiotics.. and then to our herbalist for support. :( what a debarcle

KTC you are doing so many great things! and your love and empathy and hugs help dramatically. 🌈 You are an attentive, loving, well informed parent. Sounds like your son has a pretty good diet, especially compared to other kids!

For the swelling I would offer a suggestion of arnica 30x
Maybe a naturopath would recommend arnica 200x instead as it deals with emotional trauma (as well as the swelling and bruising).
Always check with the naturopath/dentist it’s ok to use as sometimes homeopathics can interfere with other things.

You should be able to get arnica from any Health shop that sells homeopathic products, or directly from any naturopath you know. I feel that the pillules are better to use with children as the premade drops often use an alcohol base but you probably already know that. (And it s a bummer if it gets knocked over.) Always take 20mins away from food or brushing teeth and store somewhere cool, away from light and strong smells. You cannot ‘overdose’ on this stuff and can offer it every 15 minutes.

I feel you made a great choice with the antibiotics also, even though I’m not into them, I feel there are occasions when it’s sometimes the only practical, effective solution.

Have you ever tried or heard of Manuka honey? (New Zealand) It has a very high medicinal factor (UMF50) maybe do some research on it?

I am sorry to hear about the experience your son has had. Once things are calmer, I would encourage you to find a lovely warm kind holistic dentist visit for his next checkup and ensure absolutely no ‘work’ being done on his mouth, only positive feedback praising his efforts. I’m sure you are super aware the health in your mouth relates to your gut directly and is of paramount importance.

If you don’t have one, maybe buying him a water pick for flossing will help him enjoy caring for his mouth?

Hope you all get lots of rest and healing (and extra snuggles) which is deeply needed by you all right now. ☀️

Oh boy,

I am so sorry to learn this, abscesses can be so problematic and so painful, specially for such a young boy. From what I know, they can be dangerous also because the infection can start to expand and infect other areas of the jaw and skull even.

My advice is pretty much what others have said, allow the dentist to do their work and let them help your son feel better, even if you have to put up with some discomfort from their position, I think at this point the goal is your son's well being, and so long as the dentists agrees with you on that, you may disagree on everything else.

As others have said, if antibiotics will do the trick, and if they will use some fluoride to do their procedure, I'd say it may be best to allow the medical procedures to take place as they will, once your son is better, then carry on with a cleaner diet.

I am not sure how severe the tongue tie is, I was born with one myself and finally had it operated when I was 14 or 15, I can't remember. It caused speech impediments and just from regular use, it caused the gums of my teeth to pull away from the roots, and when this was noticed the doctor suggested surgery.

So perhaps, I would suggest getting a second or third opinion from dental surgeons as to what the best way to address it would be. It may bring discomfort now, but it could save him periodic pain from hygiene and other complications.

I hope it all goes well at the dentist.

KTC - sorry to hear that your son is unwell!

I think at this stage (swollen face) you need to get the big guns out. Either you go to the dentist asap, or at least you give him the course of antibiotics you still have (amoxicillin should have an adequate cover - however the combination of amoxicillin/ clavulanic acid would be better).

However, tooth infections can rapidly progress (with bad consequences), so you need to be vigilant, and if he gets worse, the abscess needs to be drained urgently.

so sorry for your boy , when I get an abscessed tooth , I put liquid echinacea root tincture on the gum or by the sore tooth until it gets a puss bubble then I put a slice of raw potato on the bubble which will draw out the puss without breaking the skin
I also take ibuprofen for pain/inflammation not panadol (this is the only time I take any pain killers at all)
I used to grow ecinacea years back , and have cured impetigo (school sores) with fresh ecinacea poultice in 60 minutes ! from infected angry red to healing pink

Thanks everyone. We went to the dentist to get the tooth extracted but it was too inflamed so we went to emergency. By the time we got seen they wanted to put him on IV antibiotics so we are staying overnight since it’s already evening.

We have moved hospitals and been given our own room which was a welcome surprise after a long couple of days.

I appreciate all your support!

We have made a booking with our herbalist for post antibiotic support.

@Alejo the dentist has told us that the tongue tie shouldn’t pose a problem now that my son understands good oral hygiene. It was certainly an issue for his baby teeth but with his good diet and awareness I think he’s good. When he was born I was advised that as long as he could latch on to feed it was fine. He has a slight impediment with TH words but it’s not obvious.

Being a parent is a wild ride!!

An interesting side note whilst we waited around half the day in emergency was that 3 people were admitted with Covid vaccine adverse effects including a nurse who had gotten her jab at work (in the main hospital) and then ended up next door in emergency with us! Her face went numb and then she panicked with shortness of breath. Two others came in while we were waiting but not sure what happened as they got ushered away. This was the most concerning part of our day thus far - wondering what will come of our hospitals since the vaccine has only rolled out for emergency workers and the elderly where we live??

Thanks @rrraven - now that you mention it I have read about the raw potato. I forgot that one. Echinacea is one of our go toos too. Thank you for your support. I feel like we are on the right path and it definitely helps sharing remedies on the forum. Thanks again

Si désolée d'apprendre les problèmes de santé de votre fils...

So sorry to hear about your son's health problems...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom