Transdermal magnesium

Angchop

Jedi Council Member
I use transdermal magnesium now and then for painful muscles. When I do, I sleep like a ROCK. Is this normal? I sure feel rested when I get up. I wonder if it's a sign of being deficient. I do take magnesium supplements daily, but maybe I shood be taking more. I usually take one 200milligram chelated magnesium a day

Sounds like that's how it should be. I wonder if epsom salt baths would have the same effect but cheaper? It could be that skin application does something that taking it internally does not.

I have done Epsom salt baths before, and it is very relaxing. I don't sleep as hard after a bath as I do with the transdermal. I think you are right..has something to do with it entering through the skin

I almost always sleep like a rock, but can't say I always wake up refreshed. My husband says I kick like a mule and it often seems I am spending my nights doing battle. I also grind my teeth (have a bite guard), so he says I am eating and fighting the whole night. :lol:

As for the oral magnesium, even if the tablet says it is 200 mg, not all of it becomes bioavailable. The bioavailability varies by type - chelated versions are best. For example, if you take 500 mg of magnesium orotate, only 35 mg is making its way to the blood stream. Transdermal is better absorbed than oral. So if your magnesium levels are low, best to load up transdermally, then do oral maintenance doses.

I would not use regular Epsom Salt from the local department stores. It has not been purified and could be contaminated with anything from lead to arsenic (which will also be absorbed). That is why it says "not for internal use". Best to source Magnesium Flakes from Swanson or Ancient Minerals. If you can't drink it, you sure don't want to soak in it!

Hi Angela,

the skin absorbs better than the intestines and send the nutrients right into the cells, therefore I also encourage people to take transdermally all that is suitable.
I also use trans-dermal magnesium as deodorant (in armpits). But make sure you have no cuts on the skin as it stings a lot! First apply some magnesium on the forearm skin to test. If it is too concentrated, add some water and test again.
This way one can avoid a lot of toxins which come with the deodorants, perfumes, even shower gel.

I use once per week a bath with sea salt and sodium bicarbonate (150 g each) and I would lay in this bath for at least 20 minutes. I even wash my hair with it. No soap, no shampoo, no shower gel is needed. After 20 minutes I would rub vigorously my skin with a sponge, to get rid of the old skin cells. You'll be amazed how the water surface will look like!
After that I would rinse my hair with water with some apple cider vinegar added, and apply some natural cream on my skin. And I have no skin problems, perspiration is odorless, my hair grew stronger.

Try it, I hope you'll be satisfied.
Joy

Hi Angela, I also use transdermal magnesium oil, not on a daily basis, only on some occasions. the most notable to me is a relaxation, the body think it really appreciates it, I am of the people is not easy to wake me at night, and as he says Lilou not always wake up in the morning really rested, despite uninterrupted sleep, I took two weeks the magnesium L-Threonate, Laura has mentioned before, makes this magnesium has shown great promise in absorption as well as in the penetration of tissue and cell membrane, crosses the blood-barrier brain, could be an option if you decide to increase the amount of magnesium taken daily.

Lilou said:
I would not use regular Epsom Salt from the local department stores. It has not been purified and could be contaminated with anything from lead to arsenic (which will also be absorbed). That is why it says "not for internal use". Best to source Magnesium Flakes from Swanson or Ancient Minerals. If you can't drink it, you sure don't want to soak in it!

Magnesium seems to help my sleep as well. As for Epsom salts, I order USP grade in 20lb bags from Amazon-- lasts a long time and you don't have to worry so much about impurities.

On which areas of your bodies do you put the transdermal magnesium and how much?
Do not have bathtub, but would like to try the transdermal.

Thanks, M.T.

Minas Tirith said:
On which areas of your bodies do you put the transdermal magnesium and how much?
Do not have bathtub, but would like to try the transdermal.

Thanks, M.T.

If you have magnesium oil in a spray bottle, you can spray it on your legs, arms, belly, back. It is not really an oil, it is a brine and very salty (it feels a bit slimy). So avoid any mucous membranes, open cuts and your eyes. I sometimes put it on my neck, but not my face. If you have sensitive skin, it could be diluted more with pure water.

The bottle I ordered from ancient minerals (8 oz or 237 ml) says that 8 sprays is the equivalent of approximately 100 mg of magnesium ( the bottle contains 3 g Mg/30 ml/1 oz). It is also excellent to spray and rub on inflamed joints. The pain relief is often felt in just a few minutes. And it is a life saver if you get muscle cramps in your legs at night (aka Charlie Horses). Many suffer from this while keto-adapting their diets. Magnesium oil came to the rescue for me.

You may want to check out the thread The Magnesium Miracle if you haven't yet. Magnesium is required in every cell process, so it is vital for good health.

Thanks for all your tips on magnesium. I think I can safely up my intake, and I will continue to use the transdermal magnesium as well. I have a stiff neck tonight so I will put some on those muscles

The other good thing about transdermal magnesium is that you can bypass the laxative effect of too much oral supplementation if you have a long-term large deficit. You can take moderately high oral doses plus the transdermal to overcome the deficiency.

Thanks for your answer, Lilou.

SeekinTruth said:
The other good thing about transdermal magnesium is that you can bypass the laxative effect of too much oral supplementation if you have a long-term large deficit

Yes, that's why I am asking. Magnesium intake is doing me A LOT of good, but even with the chelated forms I feel I can't really get enough before the laxative effect kicks in. Had a bottle of transdermal magnesium, but didn't feel any effect, so I suspected I must have done something wrong. Maybe it wasn't good quality ...
Will try gain with the Ancient Mineral brand.

M.T.

Minas Tirith said:
Thanks for your answer, Lilou.

Will try gain with the Ancient Mineral brand.

You're welcome, M.T. :)

Ancient Mineral brand is pretty expensive. It uses minerals mined from Holland - the Zechstein Mine. Luckily, Swanson Vitamins has also been give proprietorship for the Zechstein minerals and has its own brand that cost substantially less. Here's the link http://www.swansonvitamins.com/q?kw=magnesium+oil

And even though you don't have a bath tub, you can always use the magnesium flakes in a foot bath - saving the water for more than one soak. Just re-heat it. ;)

Edit: Moderator fixed quotes

Yeah, I use the Swanson's transdermal magnesium "oil". It's quite good. And, as said, they sell the flakes too, to make your own or take baths/foot baths.

Fwiw i think 200 mg daily intake is pretty low.
I wonder if applying dmso before an epsom salt bath would have a better affect?

Back
Top Bottom