Vector Art

redjade

Padawan Learner
This my vector graphics:

Sun Set:

Sun_Set_by_unseenredjade.png

Program Used: Illustrator CS2

What is Vector Graphics?

Vector graphics (also called geometric modeling or object-oriented graphics) is the use of geometrical
primitives such as points, lines, curves, and polygons, which are all based upon mathematical equations
to represent images in computer graphics. It is used by contrast to the term raster graphics, which is the
representation of images as a collection of pixels (dots).

Another good example of Vector graphics is the Film A Scanner Darkly.

It took 50 animators working for 18 months to create vector effects and each minute of film took
500 hours to complete. Talking about having patience. It took me about a week just to get Sun
Set done. I had good and bad times with it, and it is something i would do every once and awhile
as a hobby.

So what do you think about vector graphics? It is worth the time spent on it?

Hi Redjade - I've looked through your stuff a few times and, in my graphically uneducated, yet sincere opinion, I think it's really good. This 'sunset' is very cool. I saw 'A Scanner Darkly' and was almost mesmerized by the visual effects - the movie itself left me wondering what the heck just 'went into my mind while I wasn't watching' - so - sort of felt like some programming was going on - but - visually, it's actually difficult to stop watching. Wonder if that sensation was intentional?

What is your take on vector graphics - do you feel it captures the essence of your object or do you feel it is a once removed version - through a glass darkly, as it were?

I like it, also. Brings to my mind, what is the woman thinking about?

anart said:
Hi Redjade - I've looked through your stuff a few times and, in my graphically uneducated, yet sincere opinion, I think it's really good. This 'sunset' is very cool. I saw 'A Scanner Darkly' and was almost mesmerized by the visual effects - the movie itself left me wondering what the heck just 'went into my mind while I wasn't watching' - so - sort of felt like some programming was going on - but - visually, it's actually difficult to stop watching. Wonder if that sensation was intentional?

What is your take on vector graphics - do you feel it captures the essence of your object or do you feel it is a once removed version - through a glass darkly, as it were?
Very appealing to the eyes, I felt as tho i was taken by the artwork.

Thank you.

When i watched the DVD it blew my mind watching the extras (behind the scenes)
I found out Arctor/Fred shields his true identity both from those in the drug
subculture and from the police themselves. Weird thing as he finds out towards the the end that
substance D which causes the two hemispheres of the brain to function independently, produces
the strange scenario in which Arctor and Agent Fred do not realize they are the same person.

:shock:

I think it does captures the essence of my image in a way, it was the first time ever drawing a picture like that.
It took time... by the 2nd day it became easy to find the right shades and color, the challeging part was using
the mouse to draw the shapes. Verses Photo manipulation just useing images on top of images, blending, masking, texturing.
Photo manipulation I found to be very easy for me to do.

My goal is to learn all styles of artwork, the history, so pretty much anything on it.

Here are some designs/tribal i drew in high school:

mc10.jpg
mc5.jpg

So art as been a big part of my life.

heyday said:
I like it, also. Brings to my mind, what is the woman thinking about?
Thx.
Thats why i chose that picture of the women.
I used 4 different images to make that picture.

Here is an interesting perspective from a lady who claims she was medically diagnosed as thinking equally with both sides of her brain at early age. What a gift!

oops!

http://www.freedom-school.com/mary_elizabeth_croft.pdf

redjade said:
Sure is, if you're insane enough to consider an illustrator career :P

I don't think it's wasted time because it is always a nice thing to have this skill on your resume, especially if you're looking for a job in the graphic design industry, if it's your goal.

redjade said:
I think it does captures the essence of my image in a way, it was the first time ever drawing a picture like that.
It took time... by the 2nd day it became easy to find the right shades and color, the challeging part was using
the mouse to draw the shapes. Verses Photo manipulation just useing images on top of images, blending, masking, texturing.
If you can get a Wacom tablet, go for it. Even a cheap one (I still use an old wacom large like a small book), you will never come back to drawing/tracing with a mouse.

Play with gradients, you can achieve light colour changes wich would give some depths to your shapes.
Other uses Mesh gradients but I've always made without and it's more often used for a realistic effect.

Don't forget that you can play with the opacities and blendingsin illustrator, it also can help to achieve the desired effect.

Well that's my experience of it.

very nice, redjade!

i admire people who can create great vector-graphics, it's very tedious - i only do logos in vectors.

check out my 'rival thread' ;)
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=5299

Iconoclast said:
i admire people who can create great vector-graphics, it's very tedious - i only do logos in vectors.
It's very tedious at first when you don't have the hang of the pen tool and colour gradients but after a while it's becoming a second nature, the only thing is to give enough time to this learning process.

Isn't it like that for everything ;)

Hi Heyday,

The link isn't working.

Nice work Redjade. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the pen and ink drawings. I'd be curious to see what else you've done with traditional mediums. As to whether vector graphics are worth the time, I guess that depends on what your goals are, and whether or not you actually enjoy doing it. What's tedious for one person can be a meditation for another. I tend to gravitate more towards less technological types of art and music on the whole, but there are some artists who really shine using more modern mediums.

Miss Isness said:
Hi Heyday,

The link isn't working.

Nice work Redjade. Thanks for sharing. I especially like the pen and ink drawings. I'd be curious to see what else you've done with traditional mediums. As to whether vector graphics are worth the time, I guess that depends on what your goals are, and whether or not you actually enjoy doing it. What's tedious for one person can be a meditation for another. I tend to gravitate more towards less technological types of art and music on the whole, but there are some artists who really shine using more modern mediums.
Here is a link to my deviant art: http://unseenredjade.deviantart.com/

WHat types of art/artists do you like?

Tigersoap said:
redjade said:
Sure is, if you're insane enough to consider an illustrator career :P

I don't think it's wasted time because it is always a nice thing to have this skill on your resume, especially if you're looking for a job in the graphic design industry, if it's your goal.

redjade said:
If you can get a Wacom tablet, go for it. Even a cheap one (I still use an old wacom large like a small book), you will never come back to drawing/tracing with a mouse.

Play with gradients, you can achieve light colour changes wich would give some depths to your shapes.
Other uses Mesh gradients but I've always made without and it's more often used for a realistic effect.

Don't forget that you can play with the opacities and blendingsin illustrator, it also can help to achieve the desired effect.

Well that's my experience of it.
I just want the experience for now. Career with graphic design will come later.

Wacom tablet, I agree... When i finished that artwork i was thinking wacom tablet.
Wacom tablet is so good for Corel Paint too.
I still have alot to learn about using Illustrator CS2

Learning is fun.

Deckard said:
Liked this one very much

smallsottbanner.jpg
Thank you. :)

Iconoclast said:
very nice, redjade!

check out my 'rival thread' ;)
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=5299
Pixel art, now i havent seen that kind of art style in awhile. Very nice. :)

I adore water colors for their transparency, honesty and simplicity, but I also like oils, acrylics and mixed mediums. I'm afraid I'm rather out of touch with modern art. As far as mystical art, I like Maxwell Parrish's work. There are a lot of artists I like from the impressionist period too. I like art with a sense of humour, as well as still life's, landscapes, and for portraits - Modigliani.

I guess I'm a little spoiled living near Rome, where one finds masterpieces at every street corner. I may be wrong, but I don't think technological art could ever hold a candle to Michaelangelo, nor do I think electronic music could ever really compete with a live symphony. That's not to say it isn't valid in the modern world, and even much more widely accepted. There's just something about the natural vibration of an acoustic instrument, and the purity of pigments in the ancient frescoes that I find uplifting.

'Bubbles' is nice. I didn't look through the whole gallery, but it looks like you like variety and exploration which will surely take you on a wonderful journey. Best wishes in your creative endeavors, and happy travelling!

The link isn't working.
Ok, try going here:

http://www.natural-person.ca/

About 3/4 of the way down the page you will see the free book download...

http://www.natural-person.ca/pdf/mary_croft.pdf

Hopefully this will work for you.

Back
Top Bottom