video games

[quote author= mkrnhr]Computer games as skill builders is a myth[/quote]

Exactly, the reward for solving 'puzzle's' in games is a bombardment amount of mainly dopamine. It's addictive and rewires the brain. You literally can become an addict of your own chemical emotions and the true relevant things around you become either obstacles or lose all significance all together.

In some countries gaming addiction is seen as a mental illness that needs to be treated. Outdoor camping for kids are for example offered where they learn various skills. (fishing, making fire, building etc)

I think it's a good idea to counter such an addiction. Instead of being overly obsessed about gaining useless skills. True skills that are community based may give rise to some higher aim, which can actually bring a life of fulfillment.

[quote author= Thinkingfingers]and now I once in a while indulge in League of Legends. Thankfully thought I've somewhat outgrown my gaming addiction, but somedays it helps when I'm feeling ocd.[/quote]

League of Legends EU-championships where in Rotterdam this year. You be shocked if you saw how huge it was. Pro-gamers where treated like rock stars.

But I can tell from experience there isn't much going on in their heads. Whenever some thought out tactic works out you marvel at your own 'genius' and if you perform well for the team you know you get treated well and can reward yourself for it. It's all 'happiness' focused internally (Ego) Which prevents you from seeing the things that happens externally around you, and that's the only 'place' where true happiness can be found.

It's all 'happiness' focused internally (Ego) Which prevents you from seeing the things that happens externally around you, and that's the only 'place' where true happiness can be found.

I would say it is other way around because ego is focused primarily on the outside and is product of outside influences, and the place to look for yourself is inside. Just a way I see it.

Corvinus said:
It's all 'happiness' focused internally (Ego) Which prevents you from seeing the things that happens externally around you, and that's the only 'place' where true happiness can be found.

I would say it is other way around because ego is focused primarily on the outside and is product of outside influences, and the place to look for yourself is inside. Just a way I see it.

More like garbage in garbage out.

Corvinus said:

While it's true that our ego can be a product of outside influences, ego is, by its very definition (meaning "I/me" in Latin), and by how it is commonly understood, that part of ourselves that is focused inward - or so I understand it. It is that part that is obsessed with ourselves, what others think of us, what makes us feel "good" and so on - in other words, what Gurdjieff described as the "false personality" as opposed to the essence, and what Castenada described as the "predator's mind".

If we want to move beyond our ego(ism), I think we should rather look outside - to learn how others see us without being afraid of judgement, to learn how others truly feel, to learn how we can help others. Of course, this also means "looking inwards" to observe our changing state of mind, our quirks, our destructive programs and so on. But in our default state, if we think that the "place to look for ourselves is inside", we will only strengthen our identification with our ego/false personality/predator's mind, and this will get us nowhere - osit.

In this sense, video games seem rather destructive: they make the ego feel good while keeping us locked in a fantasy world that prevents us from looking outside and from "getting over ourselves".

Fwiw

[quote author= Corvinus]I would say it is other way around because ego is focused primarily on the outside and is product of outside influences, and the place to look for yourself is inside. Just a way I see it.[/quote]

It’s true that this chief happiness can only be found by inner work and struggle. But like Gurdjieff said: The chief means of happiness in this life is the ability to consider externally always, internally never"

Online gaming sets us up with a controlled environment where each action can be easily anticipated upon to what reaction we receive from others. If you perform well you are treated good.

We have to learn how to enjoy life by truly caring about others (Considering life externally.) Not by engaging in activities that we know of get's us rewarded if we act a certain way (which is internally focused.)

It’s true that this chief happiness can only be found by inner work and struggle. But like Gurdjieff said: The chief means of happiness in this life is the ability to consider externally always, internally never"

I meant that it is focused and dependent on external influences to get inner sense of worth, self-gratification, feel good, it is always looking for external material or non-material things to get temporary inner satisfaction and sense of worth(like that computer box), without which it dies away, so yes it is "inner" consideration but it depends on how do you define your true inner self, depending on knowledge and being.

[quote author= Corvinus]I meant that it is focused and dependent on external influences to get inner sense of worth, self-gratification, feel good, it is always looking for external material or non-material things to get temporary inner satisfaction and sense of worth(like that computer box), without which it dies away, so yes it is "inner" consideration but it depends on how do you define your true inner self
[/quote]

I know you meant that and I agree. You are right when you say that true chance can only happen inside of us. But I believe the definition is commonly used the other way around. Hence the words internal and external consideration

Ego is focused inwards. Like a black hole sucking everything in for the self. It only considers internal consideration.

Essence is focused outwards because it shares and reaches people out of true external consideration and caring.

Our definitions are only different

OSIT.

Came across this:

The Final Moments Of PlanetSide
http://kotaku.com/the-final-moments-of-planetside-1783044417

On May 20, 2003, Sony Online Entertainment launched PlanetSide, one of the earliest massively multiplayer first-person shooters. On July 1, 2016, Daybreak Games shut down PlanetSide for good. MMORPG.com’s Steven Messner was there to watch the sky come tumbling down.

The world/server was closed by meteorites raining down destruction. Putting an end to a fantasy world which millions of people engulfed their time and energy with.

I found it somewhat symbolic.

Recently I came across to somewhat similar. But I have trouble finding it, will keep trying tho. I also came across a trailer of a story in an upcoming +AAA videogame that portrayed a second holocaust in the near future. I hope I can find it again.

Normally I would not see the need of sharing such things, it's just that stories /themes such as this happen more frequently by my observation

We live in a symbolic universe after all. And our collective subconsciousness has it's ways of signaling us/ warning us if we know how to pay attention.

bjorn said:
Came across this:

The Final Moments Of PlanetSide
http://kotaku.com/the-final-moments-of-planetside-1783044417

On May 20, 2003, Sony Online Entertainment launched PlanetSide, one of the earliest massively multiplayer first-person shooters. On July 1, 2016, Daybreak Games shut down PlanetSide for good. MMORPG.com’s Steven Messner was there to watch the sky come tumbling down.

The world/server was closed by meteorites raining down destruction. Putting an end to a fantasy world which millions of people engulfed their time and energy with.

I found it somewhat symbolic.

Recently I came across to somewhat similar. But I have trouble finding it, will keep trying tho. I also came across a trailer of a story in an upcoming +AAA videogame that portrayed a second holocaust in the near future. I hope I can find it again.

Normally I would not see the need of sharing such things, it's just that stories /themes such as this happen more frequently by my observation

We live in a symbolic universe after all. And our collective subconsciousness has it's ways of signaling us/ warning us if we know how to pay attention.

Interesting, to say the last.

For me, my first experience of the threat of an impact event in a video game, in which the meteor was actually being summoned by a kind of magic in order to try to destroy something harmful to the planet, was in the game Final Fantasy VII, released back in '97.

See screenshot:

510269-meteor_ffvii.jpg

I mention it because the game is currently being remade for the latest games consoles to be released in the near-future.

"The Quorum" are always at work.

[quote author= bjorn]I also came across a trailer of a story in an upcoming +AAA videogame that portrayed a second holocaust in the near future. I hope I can find it again.[/quote]

https://youtu.be/4-MU5MgRV6U

I can't really tell the story but by looking at the trailer.

Transhumanism is much desired and many people have bionic implants/limbs. What follows is that the PTB can hack people (take over their mind/body) who are augmented and use them for terror attacks or randomly murder people.

The PTB steer up the media. Segregation policies follows and people who are normal get separated from augmented citizens. Ultimately augmented people are put in concentration camps.

If Muslim extremists are used for Gladio B. Than you can consider this Gladio C.

[quote author= T.C.]Interesting, to say the last.[/quote]

Yea, if you have a collection of recent themes that portrays the same doom scenario you ought to pay attention how this applies in the real word. OSIT

Playing action video games may be bad for your brain, study finds

Playing action video games may be bad for your brain, study finds
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/shooting-video-games-health-1.4237361
Montreal researchers find 1st link between shooter games, loss of grey matter
By Stephen Smith, CBC News
Posted: Aug 07, 2017 7:00 PM ET
Last Updated: Aug 08, 2017 8:16 PM ET

Playing games like this one, Call of Duty: Ghosts, could increase the risk of depression and other neuropsychiatric disorders because of reduced grey matter in the hippocampus, a Montreal study has found. (Activision)

Playing first-person shooter video games causes some users to lose grey matter in a part of their brain associated with the memory of past events and experiences, a new study by two Montreal researchers concludes.

Gregory West, an associate professor of psychology at the Université de Montréal, says the neuroimaging study, published Tuesday in the journal Molecular Psychiatry, is the first to find conclusive evidence of grey matter loss in a key part of the brain as a direct result of computer interaction.

"A few studies have been published that show video games could have a positive impact on the brain, namely positive associations between action video games, first-person shooter games, and visual attention and motor control skills," West told CBC News.

"To date, no one has shown that human-computer interactions could have negative impacts on the brain — in this case the hippocampal memory system."

The four-year study by West and Véronique Bohbot, an associate professor of psychiatry at McGill University, looked at the impact of action video games on the hippocampus, the part of the brain that plays a critical role in spatial memory and the ability to recollect past events and experiences.

Researchers Gregory West and Véronique Bohbot say their study is the first to provide conclusive evidence that video games can have a negative impact on the brain. (submitted by Gregory West)

The neuroimaging study's participants were all healthy 18- to 30-year-olds with no history of playing video games.

Brain scans conducted on the participants before and after the experiment looked for differences in the hippocampus between players who favour spatial memory strategies and so-called response learners — that is, players whose way of navigating a game favours a part of the brain called the caudate nucleus, which helps us to form habits.

Brain scans show grey matter loss

The study says 85 per cent of gamers who play six or more hours a week have been shown to rely more heavily on this brain structure to find their way in a game.

After 90 hours of playing first-person shooter games such as Call of Duty, Killzone, Medal of Honour and Borderlands 2, the brain scans of response learners showed what West said is "statistically significant" grey matter loss in the hippocampus.

"All people who we call response learners experienced a reduction in grey matter within the hippocampus," West said.

In a news release, the researchers expanded on their finding: "The problem is, the more they use the caudate nucleus, the less they use the hippocampus, and as a result the hippocampus loses cells and atrophies," adding that this could have "major implications" later in life.

This brain scan of a habitual video-game player shows the hippcampus to be smaller in a 'statistically significant manner,' according to West and Bohbot. (submitted by Gregory West)

The hippocampus is a well-understood biomarker for certain neuropsychiatric diseases, West explained.

"People with reduced grey matter in the hippocampus are more at risk for developing post-traumatic stress disorder and depression when they're younger and even Alzheimer's disease when they're older," he said.

Long-term study needed to weigh impact

West cautions, however, that more study is needed before concluding that playing action video games for long periods will ultimately cause these disorders, and more extensive, much longer-term research conducted over decades would be required to prove a link to Alzheimer's disease.

Prof. Andrew Przybylski of Oxford University is among the experimental psychologists who've cast doubt on these types of brain studies.

"Just because hippocampal size can be correlated with some things that we are worried about in other populations, does not mean there is actually some consistent, unlawful connection between hippocampus size and dementia," Przybylski said.

Przybylski says he recognizes the importance of technology in our lives. But if he was asked whether the research should be used to determine policy in the U.K., he say no. Nor would he use it to steer children to play one type of game versus another.

Risks to developing brains

A key concern that arises from the findings is what they could mean for children and youth, West says.

First-person shooter games are usually rated for people aged 17 and up. However, minors do play such games, West said, and that raises concerns.

"Children still play them while their brain is still in development, and this could potentially bias them toward response [learning] strategies for the rest of their life," West said.

Relying on response learning means leaving in your brain in "autopilot" mode, West explained, instead of exercising the hippocampus by using your more conscious memory system.

The result could be less hippocampal grey matter — and greater risk to their mental health.

How the study was done

West and Bohbot first established if subjects were response learners or spatial learners by having them run a virtual maze on a computer.

Spatial learners were identified by their tendency to find their way via landmarks such as a rock, a tree or a mountain. Response learners, on the other hand, tend to navigate through remembered sequences of left and right turns.

The participants were then divided into two groups: one played first-person shooter games for a total of 90 hours, and for the same amount of time, the other control group played 3D-platform games, which require players to navigate in a virtual environment by remembering previously visited locations.

Playing Super Mario Odyssey and other 3D platform games could help restore some of the grey matter lost in the hippocampus from playing shooter video games, the Montreal researchers say. (Nintendo)

All participants playing 3D platform games, such as Super Mario 64, showed growth in the hippocampus after the experiment, regardless of whether they were response learners or spatial learners.

This result, West said, suggests that 3D platform games could be used as a kind of antidote to the negative effect of action games on hippocampal grey matter in response learners.

"It's certainly possible that someone could pick up a 3D platform game and train their brain to grow that grey matter back," he said.

Video-game design challenges

West said their study raises essential questions about video-game design, and he and Bohbot are now hoping to address those questions together with video-game makers.

"What aspects of action video-game design, action video-game playing, causes this reduction in grey matter in response learners?" West asks.

"If we understand that, we could potentially improve these types of games so that they don't cause any reduction in grey matter and eliminate any potential risks."

West pointed to the inclusion of GPS and way-finding markers in many current action games as examples of potentially problematic features.

"These type of markers, we hypothesize, encourage people to ignore landmarks and follow routes that recruit and rely on the brain's rewards system," he said.

[quote author= article Neonix]Relying on response learning means leaving in your brain in "autopilot" mode, West explained, instead of exercising the hippocampus by using your more conscious memory system.

The result could be less hippocampal grey matter — and greater risk to their mental health.[/quote]

Most games don't really require a brain now does it? Unless I'm mistaken but the few games I have seen which basically everyone has, like doodlejump? Or all those FB games, are frankly, incredible pointless.

Even so pointless, that playing such games apparently cause brain damage. Just shows that the brain is a muscle that needs to be trained regularly.

Not only that, if lies cause brain damage.

Than indulging yourself into fantasies (lies) (what games essentially are) and not things that matter in the objective sense of the word. (truth) Should also impact or inflict damage to your brain.

I guess how people in overall interact with creation, can and does impact the human body in very interesting ways.

Last night, I came across an interesting thread regarding Nintendo, Sega, and the legend of zelda franchise in reference to masonic propaganda. One of the things that stood out to me was this add from the year 2000:
zeldamaj-nov1.jpg

Rather disturbing imagery...

The thread (@4chan of all places), delved pretty deeply into one game franchise in particular, the Legend of Zelda.

I wish to expound but suddenly, the fire alarm is going off at the building I'm in and must evacuate. TBC

It was a false alarm. (fire alarm just now)

The Legend of Zelda (1st game) Symbols
Even before acquiring your first weapon, you come equipped with a shield adorning the Christian cross. This is meant to portray your roots or origin, where you embark on discovering and harnessing the Triforce, or the three pillars of masonry (Power, Wisdom, Courage / Strength, Wisdom, Beauty / Knowledge, skills, desire). Since this game, the cross is no longer found. I believe the completion of this game is meant to portray the molting of old beliefs, and the triumphant win or achievement of harnessing this new symbol instead. There are also other aspect, such as one dungeon is shaped like a swastika.

The new Link's Awakening (4th installment) is "full of Mason symbolism; Kabbalah dreamer, black/white palms, volcano with egg on top, point in circle, Minerva owl, etc "

Almost every installment of the game features symbolic elements:
Recurring Volcano > Vulcan/Tubal Cain
Hylians (denizen NPCs in the game) > Hylics
Zelda's bloodline > the royal bloodline
Crab monsters > Cancer (One of the installments has the hero (before he's garbed in green) wearing a blue and white shirt with a cancer crab in the center, this same installment features Hyrule as Atlantis, the sunken city.)
Dungeons with checkered floor patters
Various NPCs wearing various Freemason ritual garb (robes, shriners caps, etc), one example is the Happy Merchant, believed to be the main antagonist of the game advertised above (majoras mask)
happy merchant.PNG

There was also some discussion about the gender-lines constantly being blurred through out the franchise (there is a part in the most recent game where you have to dress in drag to enter a town, also link appears to be quite effeminate in appearance), and the lack of romantic coupling between the hero and the princess was also pointed out.

Link was portrayed as an 'undead protector of the bloodline' who was cursed to reincarnate any time the royal bloodline lost control of the realm (hyrule), he's never shown to have a mother or father, and is usually raised by an uncle or town shaman. The main antagonist for much of the series, Ganon, was portrayed as a rogue element of the bloodline's initial system at one point who attempted to overthrow this purgatory imposed by their magic, but obviously gets thwarted by you, the hero, (Link), who is constantly in a state of waking slumber, or amnesia, from having reincarnated into a new conflict and having to literally undertake his role as protector as a literal child in many of the games.

Now, I'm not familiar with much of these symbols or if they are accurate, but it's pretty haunting to know I've subject myself to it ever since childhood (the game first released on my third birthday in 1986). To points in my rebelious teens where I played the game on psychadelics looking to find something profound (and I didnt, instead it found me).

Obviously, video games are a huge part of the programming process the Cs refer to in regard to us being controlled.

I wanted to know more about Nintendo and came across this, which is also quite telling about the world influence on Japanese culture, and, given the occupation since WWII, It's not surprising that this company would be steeped into usage of freemason symbols.

Nintendo

The Origin of Nintendo Nintendo got their start making gambling cards fashioned after 15th century European gambling cards. These cards can be traced back to Portugal, the native home of a popular style of playing cards called Dragon cards.

Sir Francis Xavier, a Portuguese priest for the Catholic Church, inadvertently is responsible for bringing gambling to Japan. In August of 1549, Sir Francis Xavier came as a missionary to Kagoshima, Japan, in the name of a group for which he was a co-founder the Society of Jesus, the Jesuits. The men on this ship brought their Portuguese Dragon cards along with them on the voyage and were all too eager to teach the native Japanese not only how to play, but how to gamble as well. As gambling spread, the Japanese government outlawed the act of private gambling. Thus the people had to change their cards if they were going to keep them. And so they came up with the whimsical and colorful flower designs of the Hanafuda cards. Three hundred and forty years later, Nintendo began to mass produce these same cards. And these became Nintendo's main source of income for almost a hundred years. Nintendo literally owes their business to none other than Sir Francis Xavier. The same man that suggested there should be an inquisition. If this Jesuit Priest had not "accidentally" brought gambling to Japan, Nintendo could never have existed.

re: Nintendo

Back
Top Bottom