What are you listening to?

3D Student said:
Anthony said:

Wow, thanks for that. I had it on in the background and it was a nice calming song. And with a fitting surprise .;) It looks like he has a lot of other songs on his channel. I'm taking a listen to some more at the moment.

I came here to check up on what others have been listening to, and also to share a group I've been meaning to share and thought it an odd coincidence someone posted this song, because the band I was going to share are also Lebanese and from Beirut. They're called Mashrou' Leila (translates roughly to "the night project"). I've been a fan of them for years now, after a friend of mine, who studied Arabic in the Navy to become a translator, showed them to me. Saw them perform last year in NYC and I'm going to see them again tomorrow night which prompted me to post their music here.

They've been quite controversial in the Middle East because of their lyrics, which contain a lot political commentary as well as reflections of the singer Hamed Sinno's experiences growing up as a gay Muslim. They were banned in Jordan last year before a concert, after which the fans petitioned the government and the ban was lifted, only to be reinstated this year a few months ago. Their most recent record, called Ibn El Leil ("song of the night") was written after Hamed's father passed away and he fell into a deep depression, often going to clubs in Beirut and trying to drown out his sorrows by drinking, which he reflects on as a bad way to deal with grief. Although I don't speak Arabic I find the songs speak to me on another level - the language of music really is universal, though I do end up looking up translations of the lyrics. Hamed also has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard.

I hope you all enjoy the music.

https://youtu.be/bcw4fXiJDTM?list=PL0O4hK3C5ZP_tGU55tUILaroPUpGvw-t4?ecver=1

Just a trivia thing on Albert King's guitar, I notice he probably later in life decided to have the control knobs moved to the bottom like a regular guitar would position them.

Albert King
Instruments
King's first instrument was a diddley bow. Next, he built himself a cigar box guitar, and eventually he bought a Guild acoustic guitar. The instrument he is usually associated with is a 1958 Gibson Flying V. In 1974 he began using a Flying V built by Dan Erlewine, and after 1980 he also played one built by Bradley Prokopow.[8]

King was left-handed, but usually played right-handed guitars flipped over upside-down. He used a dropped open tuning, possibly more than one, as reports vary: (C#-G#-B-E-G#-C#) or open E-minor (C-B-E-G-B-E) or open F (C-F-C-F-A-D).[9] He never used the sixth string.[8] Steve Cropper (who played rhythm guitar on many of King's Stax sessions), told Guitar Player magazine that King tuned his guitar to C-B-E-F#-B-E (low to high).[10] The luthier Dan Erlewine said King tuned to C-F-C-F-A-D with light-gauge strings (0.009", 0.012", 0.024" wound, 0.028", 0.038", 0.050"). The lighter-gauge strings were a factor in King's string-bending technique.

For amplification, King used a solid-state Acoustic amplifier, with a speaker cabinet containing two 15-inch speakers and a horn ("which may or may not have been operative"). Later in his career he also used an MXR Phase 90.

Attaching 2 pictures of before and after knob positions.

EARLY 70,s
Top positioning knobs (regular guitar strings upside down).

https://youtu.be/wdDRCIEEZ3w

Bottom positioning of Knobs (regular guitar string position custom knobs)

https://youtu.be/IHivy0ayMMc

Attachments

• Albert_King_1968.jpg
    Albert_King_1968.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Albert+King+by+Dave+Glass+PNG.png
    Albert+King+by+Dave+Glass+PNG.png
    912.8 KB · Views: 164
Back
Top Bottom