What are you listening to?

I have quite a number of acquaintances and young friends that died which was very painful experience but what stroke me the most and what this song reminds me of: saying goodbye to my grandpa Drago who was actually like a father to me and my youger sister, we said goodbye in a sad and beautiful way and no one told me ever anything as beautiful as he did on the last time he was conscious.
Now I have to wipe off my tears and read 18 alerts.
Thank you for the songs.

I thought it was a bit strange that he was singing this song to his father as if he were on the point of death, yet his father was sitting beside him. I also thought it was strange that he would make something so apparently personal so public, to millions of people he does not know.

I thought it was a bit strange that he was singing this song to his father as if he were on the point of death, yet his father was sitting beside him. I also thought it was strange that he would make something so apparently personal so public, to millions of people he does not know.

That feels weird, yeah. I mean - those lyrics:

I'm not your son, you're not my father
We're just two grown men saying goodbye
No need to forgive, no need to forget
I know your mistakes and you know mine
And while you're sleeping, I'll try to make you proud
So daddy, won't you just close your eyes?

Almost sound like he's saying "dammit dad, can't you just die NOW?" :shock:
I might be negatively biased though: I don't like the singer's voice at all. I think he sounds and looks hysterical (in that video), like he's overacting or something. The father is much more dignified and looks like a nice guy.

Agree entirely. Joe That was my 1st reaction. Converse being he will touch heart strings and MAKE MONEY. Last option maybe it will make people stop and think about their parents in a different light and maybe, just maybe bring them closer together.

How many men in the present moment have fathers they can remember taking care of them in a protecting way as children? That would be a very interesting poll to take.

Very strong song, well sung but a little bit off centre, too much heart on sleeve I think.

That feels weird, yeah. I mean - those lyrics:
And while you're sleeping, I'll try to make you proud
So daddy, won't you just close your eyes?

Interpreted in the best way I can think of, perhaps that lyric means something like when the crooners father is on the death bed, dying, not to stay alive for the sole reason of his son. But I could be wrong about that.

Interpreted in the best way I can think of, perhaps that lyric means something like when the crooners father is on the death bed, dying, not to stay alive for the sole reason of his son. But I could be wrong about that.

I don't think there's any right or wrong interpretation, it's "art" so it's still highly subjective and each person will interpret the lyrics in their own personal way based on things such as past experiences, memories, their particular mood or state of mind at the time they heard the song, etc.

Converse being he will touch heart strings and MAKE MONEY

I've watched several documentaries lately about the bands and scenes that Young was a part of. He was very difficult to work with since he's completely focused on his artistic vision to the exclusion of all else, to the point of career suicide. I don't think making money ever enters into the equation for him.

I've watched several documentaries lately about the bands and scenes that Young was a part of. He was very difficult to work with since he's completely focused on his artistic vision to the exclusion of all else, to the point of career suicide. I don't think making money ever enters into the equation for him.

Hi wanderer. We have crossed wired here I think. I was referring to James Blunts latest. Neil Young was always a wonderful singer and I liked most of his work and as you say he really was a lone horse.

I listen to Ave Maria while driving.
Very relaxing. Although sang bzy man. It is very beautiful kontor tenor is a male soprano so to say.
Vyatcheslav Kagan-Paley (Slava) - Ave Maria
kagan.jpg

Biography of James Blunt from Wikipedia:

In 1999, Blunt volunteered to join a Blues and Royals squadron deploying with NATO to Kosovo.[21] Initially assigned to carry out reconnaissance of the Former Yugoslavian Republic of MacedoniaYugoslavia border, Blunt's troop worked ahead of the front lines, locating and targeting Serbian forces for the NATO bombing campaign. On 12 June 1999, the troop led the 30,000-strong NATO peacekeeping force from the Macedonia border towards Priština International Airport. However, a Russian military contingent had moved in and taken control of the airport before his unit's arrival.

His family:

His father was a cavalry officer in the 13th/18th Royal Hussars and then a helicopter pilot and colonel of the Army Air Corps.[11][12] His mother started up a ski chalet company in Méribel.[13] The Blount family has a long history of military service, dating back to the arrival of their Danish ancestors in England in the 10th century.[8]

Wondering what people think of this song/video.

James Blunt - Monsters
Oh, before they turn off all the lights
I won't read you your wrongs or your rights
The time has gone

I'll tell you goodnight, close the door
Tell you I love you once more
The time has gone
So here it is

And while you're sleeping I'll try to make you proud
So, Daddy, won't you just close your eyes?
Don't be afraid, it's my turn
To chase the monsters away

Oh, well I'll read a story to you
Only difference is this one is true
The time has gone

I folded your clothes on the chair
I hope you sleep well, don't be scared
The time has gone
So here it is

Sleep a lifetime
Yes, and breathe a last word
You can feel my hand on your own
I will be the last one
So I'll leave a light on
Let there be no darkness in your heart

But I'm not your son, you're not my father

I noticed that even though he says "I'm not your son, you're not my father" he still calls his father "Daddy".

I don't think we ever lose that memory of our father from childhood. Even though they both are now adults there is a bond whether for good or bad that will maybe need understanding.

Maybe he wants to say these words now while his father is still alive to hear them. He is saying I'll be there to help you "chase the monsters away" like you did for me (Daddy).

It reminds me of another song I posted sung by Paul Carrack that speaks of "wish I had told you in the living years"

Last edited:
I listen to Ave Maria while driving.
Very relaxing. Although sang bzy man. It is very beautiful kontor tenor is a male soprano so to say.
Vyatcheslav Kagan-Paley (Slava) - Ave Maria
View attachment 33456

@Kaigen ,

I couldn't find the same album on YouTube but I was curious so here is another version with rain sounds in the background. He has a very clear beautiful voice I think.

Back
Top Bottom