What are you listening to?

Inspired by the "Coffee and Cigarettes" thread I have this particular earworm classic, a cover of a great song originally by The Yardbirds, but this just illustrates just how good Humble Pie were.

Television lead guitarist and vocalist Tom Verlaine was an underground sensation in the late 70's. He died just last week aged 73. Very sad, we've lost another gem. So many great rock n' rollers seem to checking out recently.:-( At least we still have their work left to enjoy. The guitar solo in this song is so clever and shows that there was room for a new style of guitar work beyond blues rock riffing (and to be clear I love blues rock). I got into this band back in 97 but still get goosebumps listening to them.

RIP Tom, and I hope you've found all your heroes on 5d!:cool2:

One last classic from television and then it's time to chill. Torn Curtain, makes me think of UFOs for some reason. The 1977 album Marquee Moon is an underground classic. I love it, nothing sounds like it. Completely idiosyncratic rock.

As a 20 year insomniac, I'm up smoking a cig while listening to strange music. John Martyn is a man many people really rate, and I am one of them. He goes deep into effects on his guitar, weaving complex riffs with rhythm parts. This song goes full on voodoo with his use of an echo device, as dark as the devil gets lyrically, but strangely captivating. Another legend who departed to 5d too soon. Listen if you dare to dance with a devil....:cool2:

Dimash does it again. After watching the video last night I am still emotional about it. To fully appreciate the song, I had to turn the screen off on the second go.

A Night Full of What Ifs - The New Fools​

I've heard this tune before but I did not know the performer. How funny, because at one point she was Mick Jagger's wife. Ha ha ha ..

Marianne Faithfull - As Tears Go By​

Here's a bit about her life. If you watch pay attention to what she says around 6:55 but does not explain, "it was planned". By who and why ? I have my suspicions.

Close Up - Marianne Faithfull 2/5​

For the days when I need heroic inspiration. ;-D

Elizabeth: The Golden Age Soundtrack​

Quite interesting! I watched both videos today - it was snowing and a cosy afternoon where these films did fit!
And yes, it is inspiring for being a hero, there are a lot of scenes where you can be impressed, i.e. the scene where she is attacked with someone with a pistol and opens her hands and goes towards him - in this accepting her fate . . .

As a 20 year insomniac, I'm up smoking a cig while listening to strange music. John Martyn is a man many people really rate, and I am one of them. He goes deep into effects on his guitar, weaving complex riffs with rhythm parts. This song goes full on voodoo with his use of an echo device, as dark as the devil gets lyrically, but strangely captivating. Another legend who departed to 5d too soon. Listen if you dare to dance with a devil....:cool2:

saw him quite a few times back in the day- Legend -- tragically alot of his life was overshadowed by chronic alcoholism which sadly took him in the end - a sad loss . Such a brilliant artist -For someone who had such extremes of behaviour his romantic and soulful side was what we all fell in love with.

Back
Top Bottom