What are you listening to?

A couple of lesser known Prince tracks from 1996, where he puts about half a dozen genres in a musical blender. He was a spectacularly gifted individual. The musical landscape is poorer for his absence.

Jakare is Halfred and Lo.Renzo new collaborative project exploring South american shamanic soundscapes with musical instruments like charango, ocarina and pan flutes blended with organic textures and digital grooves, thus creating a mix of tribal and post-modern musical concoction.

Three unusual songs from Cream again. I love this band, I still recall how I felt when I first listened to them in 1996. i was a student just exploring old classics. The drums swing, and are more expansive than most rock drummers. "Those were the days", the first track, is the only song I know which features subject matter about Atlantis. Thank lyricist Pete Brown for that, not the band. Very interesting that they outsourced lyrical duties to a poet while they concentrated on the music. The other 2 tracks showcase their flexibility as blues-jazz players. The drum beaks from Ginger Baker even anticipate what Jungle and DnB producers were creating in the early 90's, combining jazz drums with reggae basslines to create a new form.

They're never mentioned as being up there with Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin, but to me they are just as great. They were only a band for 2 and a half years, but they opened new vistas of what was possible in modern rock music.

One last Cream song, a harrowing blues number on the grisly subject of heroin addiction, "Spoonful". Eric Clapton is one of my favourite guitarists and he's on fine form on this song. RIP Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, lost but not forgotten.

Bulls on Parade, by the heavy beasts Rage Against The Machine, Gets the message across in a very direct way.:lol:

And their debut track, which opened the door, Bombtrack.

Back
Top Bottom