cara ed amabile,
soave più.

English Libretto or Translation:​

Tender and beautiful fronds
of my beloved plane tree,
let Fate smile upon you.
May thunder, lightning, and storms
never disturb your dear peace,
nor may you by blowing winds be profaned.

Never was a shade
of any plant
dearer and more lovely,
or more sweet.

I discovered this gem in the thread: "Your favorite classical tunes"... page 2 #22.

Michael B-C said:
I discovered this piece of personally precious music aged about 13. I was lying in the bath one Sunday evening listening in reverence to a remarkable recording of a dramatisation of the Pilgrims Progress on BBC radio (strange child!) and was struck, as if by lightening, by the repeating, deeply summoning well of sound that underscored the production. One phrase of music lingered and lingered. I had to find it on a recording, but how! Not knowing where to start, in desperation more than hope, dripping wet, I pulled out the dozen classical LPs my parents had left hopefully on a shelf in my bedroom and rummaged through them. Half way down the pile I found a name that rang bells – Vaughan Williams; my heart skipped a beat for I remembered the announcer mentioning his name at the end of the broadcast. It couldn’t possibly be! In a fever of anticipation I thrust the vinyl onto the turntable – and there it was! Miracle of miracles! That sound, calling to me. As if from within. Familiar and forgotten. It had called to me and within 5 minutes of searching I had found it! And it’s been my constant companion ever since.

Please excuse the rather personal indulgence above but I so wanted to share with you the strange way this magical work came to me and the hold it still has over me. More like a haunting.

Here below is the finest recording yet produced and filmed – in the magical surrounds of Gloucester’s gothic cathedral where the composer intended it to be performed. I have always thought this music to be the perfect embodiment of the seeker on the path. Or perhaps the seeker who faces drowning and searches for release every step of the way. Or some such.

I hope you enjoy. :)
The Cathedral itself is like a great instrument. The acoustics are fascinating! Thank you Michael for your comments and for showing us this musical beauty!:-)

Realy?

Just can not say I felt more balanced. They have talent sure but meaning? What are they really saying? I have enough "cranial bleeding" already. Kind of "word salad" lyrics to me. Are you OK?

Realy?

Just can not say I felt more balanced. They have talent sure but meaning? What are they really saying? I have enough "cranial bleeding" already. Kind of "word salad" lyrics to me. Are you OK?
I am ok , thanks for asking. I was referring to balance as opposed to the rhythm of Neil Young's song. I love The Mars Volta and At the drive in but, I agree that the lyrics are nonsense.In this case I don't care much since what counts It's the energy. Anyway it's just a song.

When searching on ... (dont laugh) Predator ... during a fraction of a second, youtube proposed a song i listened to some months before and this time, i mp3'ised it and added it to my collection, here it is, many here probably know it (was never posted visibly) - The Pretenders - I go to sleep

I really like her voice :-[

Back
Top Bottom