What I learned from Newsweek

wanderer

Jedi
I was traveling on business this week, and thumbed through a copy of Newsweek in an idle moment. I don't watch TV or read mainstream print media so I'm pretty much out of touch with what folks behind the frequency fence here in the US are seeing and reading. What I read was astonishing, cover to cover psychological manipulation presented in a nice warm and fuzzy format. Boy am I out of touch.

It turns out Benjamin Netanyahu is really an intelligent, reasonable man who cares deeply about the Palestinian people.

The Goldstone report is an outrage to thinking, caring people everywhere.

Israel is a beacon of humanity surrounded by monsters intent on destroying it for no particular reason.

Chavez is making movies now, and that makes him exactly like Stalin and Hitler, demonstrated by a lot of pictures in case I wasn't up to reading the whole article.

The fact that intelligent, educated people are disproportionately rejecting the H1N1 vaccine is counter-intuitive.

And I learned all this in 10 minutes! No wonder normal people think I'm crazy, I must live in Bizarro World. Yikes.

wanderer said:
And I learned all this in 10 minutes! No wonder normal people think I'm crazy, I must live in Bizarro World. Yikes.

I can relate. I recently picked up a copy of Newsweek when I was waiting in my attorney's office. I can't recall the issue or the exact article I read, but the point they were trying to make was that it is foolish to criticize president Obama and than any criticism is a sign of disrespect :rolleyes:

wanderer said:
I don't watch TV or read mainstream print media so I'm pretty much out of touch with what folks behind the frequency fence here in the US are seeing and reading. What I read was astonishing, cover to cover psychological manipulation presented in a nice warm and fuzzy format. Boy am I out of touch.

Welcome to the club! I haven't watched TV (don't own one), or read magazines since early nineties. It's amazing how one sees things differently from others when brain is not bombarded by lies and propaganda.

wanderer said:
No wonder normal people think I'm crazy, I must live in Bizarro World. Yikes.

Yup, only now I'm learning the value of Strategic Enclosure

And by the way, what's normal ? I sometimes joke to friends: "They're all crazy, I'm normal" :)

ozrich said:
Welcome to the club! I haven't watched TV (don't own one), or read magazines since early nineties. It's amazing how one sees things differently from others when brain is not bombarded by lies and propaganda.

I disconnected around the same time. I tried to tell my friends that they too should become aware of the lies that they were being sold, but of course they just laughed at me. They're all Obamamaniacs now.

ozrich said:
Yup, only now I'm learning the value of Strategic Enclosure

Thanks for that link, I'll investigate that concept more thoroughly. I've always been very sensitive to being manipulated. I left school at 16 because I sensed that I was being brainwashed, and I'm a complete autodidact. In retrospect there was surely a more intelligent way to go about creating a strategic enclosure, but it was the 60's and it seemed like the thing to do. It's worked out OK for me so far. I haven't accumulated any material wealth but I've managed to provide for a family and live a rewarding life. The universe has always provided us with what we need, though it does get scary at times.

ozrich said:
And by the way, what's normal ? I sometimes joke to friends: "They're all crazy, I'm normal" :)

:cool:

I do feel a little pang of regret every time an average friendly Joe tries to generate some kinship with me by discussing sports, and I have no idea what they're talking about :cry:

Back
Top Bottom