What sort of idiot are you?

this thread made me think of the novel ´The idiot´of Fyodor Dostojewski. A story about a person that tries to be good to all, and as a result destroys quiet some lifes, including his own. ´The´ idiot could indicate the unique idiot.

Myself I would name ´a´ idiot, ordinary idiot that is.

I wondered also how a psychopathic idiot fits in this list and what it is? And that a man needs to go up and down the list prior to get to higher, including being a psychopathic idiot.

I'm still trying to work out what Gurdjieff's term "psychopathic" means. I don't think it relates to modern terminology.

What we term as psychopath Gurdjieff refers to the power possessing beings or Hasnamuss (roughly translated as "sh*t soul").

If one looks back the way the term psychopath was used in the 1920's, it was much broader and had to do with mental illness rather than the lack of morality or conscience....although these were included. So in these later times, I suppose a "psychopathic idiot" could be a "lunatic idiot" or similar.

http://www.mdx.ac.uk/WWW/STUDY/mhhglo.htm

psychopathic: to do with mental illness. See 1924 "psychopathic wards of general hospitals". By 1957 the Royal Commission said "the term psychopath ... is now commonly used to describe those patients whom the 1904-1908 Commission called moral imbeciles and morally insane as well as persons with other forms of personality disorder including many whom that Commission included in their concept of feebleminded" (See 1913 Act)

Write me in: Homo sapiens Idioticus, Number 4 types c and d, ordinary isolate 28-06-72

I always knewI was an idiot!

It feels so good to be validated.

Now...what kind of an idiot? Hmmm........

This will take some reflection.

Johnno said:
I'm still trying to work out what Gurdjieff's term "psychopathic" means. I don't think it relates to modern terminology.

What we term as psychopath Gurdjieff refers to the power possessing beings or Hasnamuss (roughly translated as "sh*t soul").

If one looks back the way the term psychopath was used in the 1920's, it was much broader and had to do with mental illness rather than the lack of morality or conscience....although these were included. So in these later times, I suppose a "psychopathic idiot" could be a "lunatic idiot" or similar.

http://www.mdx.ac.uk/WWW/STUDY/mhhglo.htm

psychopathic: to do with mental illness. See 1924 "psychopathic wards of general hospitals". By 1957 the Royal Commission said "the term psychopath ... is now commonly used to describe those patients whom the 1904-1908 Commission called moral imbeciles and morally insane as well as persons with other forms of personality disorder including many whom that Commission included in their concept of feebleminded" (See 1913 Act)
:/ Gosh, whether the lunatic or a new buffon idiot.

Johnno said:
Herewith the most complete list possible of Gurdjieff's
Order of Idiots, with thanks to Marcia Paul.

1 ordinary idiot
2 super idiot
3 arch idiot
4 hopeless idiot
5 compassionate idiot
6 squirming idiot
7 square idiot

I'm gonna own 1-7, that way I have new one for every day of the week.

Bar Kochba said:
Come on now. I resemble that observation.

Likewise. But then, living in ostensibly the wealthiest, yet stupidest nation on Earth, I suppose it goes with the territory.

Back
Top Bottom