What's for Dinner?

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
I thought I would start a thread where we can report what kinds of meals we prepare living on a gluten and dairy free diet. How creative are we? How deliciously do we eat?

So, let me kick it off.

Tonight I made a lamb tagine that I served with French style green beans and mashed potatoes. For dessert we had buckwheat shortbread made with ghee with hot mango/pineapple fruit compote piled on top.

The meal was started and finished cooking in about 1 hr and 45 minutes, though much of that time was spent doing other things since stuff was just cooking. It was made with quite a few frozen ingredients, I used the pressure cooker for the lamb tagine which, after 45 minutes of cooking with onions, carrots and dried apricots, tasted like it had been stewing all day! The pineapple and mango chunks were fresh frozen, cooked briefly in ghee in the wok with golden raisins added. The potatoes were instant with plenty of ghee in them. The beans were frozen, fried in duck fat with garlic.

It was a beautiful, delicious, deeply satisfying meal and so easy it was like falling off a log!

This is fun. :) For the last three days and tonight, (since I made a lot) I've had collard greens with pork (from the neck) and ham. Alongside are baked yams. Sometimes for dessert, frozen berries in coconut or hemp milk with a little xylitol or blue agave. It's like a tropical drink. :)

edit: clarification

Nicolas said:
Here is a slow cooker recipe I found that I really enjoy. I am not a fish lover but the taste of this stew is very comforting!

I don't want your recipes in this thread. Put it in a recipe thread. This is just to tell what you DID have for dinner. What your menu was and a few quick things about whether it was easy or not. I want people to inspire others by what they have done already, not give a recipe for what they could do, might do, or suggest that someone do. I want to peek into other kitchens and invite you into mine!

I've moved the recipe posts to their own threads.

Last night we had mushroom soup, my wife cooked and side of raw vegies. I sat eating it, imagining I was eating appricot chicken with coconut rice.

Goog idea !

This evening organic raw celery, a tin of peas & carrots with lamb cooked in the oven (since I've my oven I use it practically each day) and prunes for the dessert.

Tomorrow morning, buckwheat toasts with tea.

Recently my meals alternate between three main combinations: 1) Baked to nicely brown sweet potatoes with garlic, avocado and cod liver pate with green onions, garlic and a bit of lemon, and baked or grilled fatty and thick stripes of pork, or other meat like baked chicken thighs or turkey. 2) Quinoa pancakes with either green salad or grilled in a pan green beans with garlic, and cooked beef or pork tongue. 3) Slowly cooked pieces of beef with root veggies, onions, garlic and quinoa. Sometimes add cumin as a spice.

Tried eating potatoes, baked or mashed instead of yams for a week, but unfortunately made me too inflamed.

Sometimes there is also slowly cooked turkey necks soup with root veggies and cabbage, and also add buckwheat flour for thickness.

For desert, berries. :) Plan on ordering zylitol and making some real desert.

Non of the above takes too long, just prepare it and put it either in the oven or in the pot.

Keit said:
Recently my meals alternate between three main combinations:

The question is: what did you have for dinner?

Laura said:
The meal was started and finished cooking in about 1 hr and 45 minutes, though much of that time was spent doing other things since stuff was just cooking. It was made with quite a few frozen ingredients, I used the pressure cooker for the lamb tagine which, after 45 minutes of cooking with onions, carrots and dried apricots, tasted like it had been stewing all day! The pineapple and mango chunks were fresh frozen, cooked briefly in ghee in the wok with golden raisins added. The potatoes were instant with plenty of ghee in them. The beans were frozen, fried in duck fat with garlic.

It was a beautiful, delicious, deeply satisfying meal and so easy it was like falling off a log!

Potatoes are OK? I thought they were nightshade plants. If so, that's good news! I know there are individual variations...

I haven't eaten yet, but I just finished making a Quinoa salad for dinner. (We are low on meat at the moment). I soaked the Quinoa overnight (it was red quinoa), cooked it this afternoon and then chopped up about three or four cups of purple cabbage, three celery sticks, three carrots and a teeny bit of finely diced garlic (about an 8th of a small clove). If I had red onions I would have used them. Then I put in a lot of homemade mayonnaise (made with grapeseed oil), some apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. The Mayonnaise and the high protein of the quinoa actually makes it very filling.

Yesterday I did a brisket of beef, browned in olive oil first and then slowly cooked (4 hours) at low heat in the oven. Prepared it with onion, carrots, garlic and celery in red wine. (I followed Doug is advice and opened a bottle to cook with). At the end, mashed some of the veggies and sauce in the food processor an heated until I got a rich gravy and voila. Served some broccoli and asparagus with it. Pears and chocolat muffin for dessert.

Tonight, chili con carne, and banana and nut muffin for desert. I haven't decided what veggies I will serve yet.

Today : Hamburgers (minced organic beef patties) and mashed sweet potatoes mixed with the butter and onions/garlic fried with the burgers.

Yesterday: Quinoa with stirfry pumpkin, onions/garlic and fenicle (and a chopped breakfast porc-patty thrown in for flavour, as it needed some)

I don't have time for creativity right now. I want to cook and eat in 20 minutes if possible, but I had something unusual for me tonight. Thus, I will post it. At the boucherie down the street (a French neighborhood butcher shop), the whole rabbit was only 4,95 euro per kilo, which is way cheaper than normal. Cheaper than even the big grocery stores, but especially cheap for farm-raised boucherie rabbit. Must have been a little old...

I stewed it for 30 minutes in water, apple cider vinegar, some old mealy apples, herbs de provence, garlic, and buckwheat to thicken the sauce at the end. It was surprisingly good for no thought or effort. It was also the first time I bought something at a store with the head still on it.

Patience said:
I don't have time for creativity right now. I want to cook and eat in 20 minutes if possible, but I had something unusual for me tonight. Thus, I will post it. At the boucherie down the street (a French neighborhood butcher shop), the whole rabbit was only 4,95 euro per kilo, which is way cheaper than normal. Cheaper than even the big grocery stores, but especially cheap for farm-raised boucherie rabbit. Must have been a little old...

I stewed it for 30 minutes in water, apple cider vinegar, some old mealy apples, herbs de provence, garlic, and buckwheat to thicken the sauce at the end. It was surprisingly good for no thought or effort. It was also the first time I bought something at a store with the head still on it.
:lol:
My Grandma laughed so much when my sister and I would cry that she just buchered a rabit, but would lick our fingers eating it with buch of onions in wine sauce and chestuts.
Yum!

Quick supper tonight of green salad, plus fresh basil, chopped up and fried bacon, several hard boiled eggs and a tin of mixed beans all combined with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, french mustard and a big clove of garlic crushed. With some extra good humus.

Back
Top Bottom