What's the weather where you are?

Re: What's the weather where you are at?

Well, here in Texas we are in an Exceptional level of drought (the highest level) with 36 days over 100 degrees. Our average is 13 days with a record of 69 days in 1925.

This heat started earlier than usual this year. August is usually over 100 degrees on into September so we could get close to breaking the record if conditions don't let up.

I sure miss the rain :(

Raining and cloudy. I like it, it feels like a dramatic scenario.

cassandra said:
We have been having a few sunny, hot days over the last 2 months, but mainly rain almost every evening or nonstop rain all day. A lot of thunder and lightening.
I've never heard or seen such loud and powerful thunder and lightening before.

That is absolutely true here too Cassandra.

The storm the other night was really something to behold.

Here in Denver it hasn't been too hot. At least not over 100 that I know of. But I don't mind, after living in New Orleans with no AC. We did have a furious hale storm here yesterday.

It's been a wet windy and cold winter where I live on the east coast of Australia. Snow has been experienced in some of the higher areas. A couple of days ago they closed the highway near to me due to snow (the winter tyre and snowplow deal isn't much of an issue here except in the alpine regions). So it's been a normal winter to some degree, I think because we were getting so used to warm winters the "normal winter" seems out of the ordinary!

About a year ago most of the eastern seaboard was experiencing drought, so we were getting used to water restrictions etc which you may see in the USA with all the heat. This started to change with some very heavy dumps of rain which flushed out the stagnant river system.

Nicolas said:
Well, here in Texas we are in an Exceptional level of drought (the highest level) with 36 days over 100 degrees. Our average is 13 days with a record of 69 days in 1925.

This heat started earlier than usual this year. August is usually over 100 degrees on into September so we could get close to breaking the record if conditions don't let up.

I sure miss the rain :(

heavy sigh...I miss the rain too; in our corner of north texas, in additional to the relentless 100 degree days, we've had six inches rain in the last 11 months, when we should have had at least 20 by now. Articles every day ni the paper; when new watering restricitons will start, how many foundATIONS ARE CRACKING IN THE DRY HEAT, all the wIldlife babies dying or being abandoned, the losses to livestock. Heartbreaking picture on the front page of 2 cows mired up to their necks in mud in the bottom of what had been their tank. Got them out OK. Every day see semis hauling hay and water and cows going to market. Get a freezer and stock up on beef, they're even selling the breeding stock, so the price of beef will be astronomical next year. I checked the NOAA website, it seemed to indicate the La Nina might break by the end of August.

Here in Spain in the mediterranean area the temperature is lower than the average for this month of july.Very irregular patterns of weather this summer
compared to pass years. Although we had rain for the spring now droughts are in most areas of the country.

Here in central Switzerland it's really cold, 12.5 degrees Celsius this morning when I left the house. It's been cold and rainy all week. The few sunny days in June and July have been incredibly hot though, ca. 35 degrees Celsius. This time last summer we were baking, so it does feel a bit unusual.

We've had a mixed summer in Ottawa with unusual cool days and cold nights at the beginning to the current heat wave, expected to push 36C. Possible thunderstorm late today might cool things down, but might also be violent like the previous ones, many of which seem to have come out of nowhere, with winds sufficient to topple trees and the occasional small tornado touching down.

In fact, the other day we had a stage collapse at our annual Bluesfest when an unexpected storm hit. Fortunately, the organizers could see the storm approaching as it crossed the Ottawa River and evacuated the stages. The band Cheap Trick (yes, we have non-blues bands playing at a blues festival. I guess their ticket sales help fund the otherwise non-viable festival) had just left the stage when the wind kicked up and collapsed the stage. There are a few videos on YouTube if you search Bluesfest Stage Collapse.

I'm really feeling sorry for those without adequate shelter and the "luxury" of air conditioning, which seems an essential these last few days.

Gonzo

Out here in NW Ohio we haven't had a good rain for a couple weeks. There is that Heat Dome they talk about and it's supposed to get around 100 F. With humidity the heat index may be around 115F to 120F, and sunny. Tonight they say the heat index may be around 100F around midnight tonight. There have been heat related deaths. Maybe we'll get some rain they say in 3 - 4 days from now.

We had so much rain this early spring, farmers were worried about getting the crop in time. Now the sun, heat, with no rain there is some nervousness again.

In London UK it has been pretty grey, cold and wet. We did get an early Summer in March with some hot days, but that lasted for a short period of time. I feel that the Summer here has been getting colder and colder these latest years, not only that, but there is no longer a sense of having 4 clear seasons, there is definitely winter, and then there's kind of a very long autumn with a few warmer days. My family in Portugal has also been experiencing this lack of clearly defined seasons over the past years.

I am in Georgia (USA) also, near Lake Lanier and it has been very hot and humid every day. Some days it seems like a "pressure" cooker-the heat just seems to press down on you and it is hard to breathe.

I am wondering about something though-if and when Earth passes through comet Elenin's tail around (December?) the least case scenario if we don't get the airborne pathogens and large pieces of debris is a large infusion of dust-adding to the other comet dust we are already picking up along with all the volcanic dust-

That will have a cooling effect on the atmosphere, right? I think it will start out as heavy rain and gradually turn to snow and ice as the cooling continues-that ice age may not be so far off. Add to that the electric discharge effects which could increase seismic activity and vulcanism...could be a wild ride!

What do y'all think?

Hi tschai,

I've been think along the same possibilities as you. But who knows? We will see... Or not...
But if something unusual does happen, at least we will be watching and not taken by surprise or shock.
I really hate when something happens and I go: "That figures..."
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Something electrical is going on. A few nights ago there were flashes every couple of minutes. Thinking someone was taking pictures, I looked out of the window and saw forked lightening in the distance without rain or thunder. It went on for some time. I've never seen that before either and it was quite something.

Back
Top Bottom