What's the weather where you are?

Lower Austria, southern part:

Up to now we have a normal winter, meaning cold telmperatures about +5 °C during day, -7 to -10°C in the night. We sometime have a little bit snow or rain - but all in all the region is not getting enough water and snow.

The other day I was talking to a farmer who also mourned about this, the heavy wildfire we had in this region some time ago was certainly connected with this very dry ground. Besides the water level in the place I live has dropped for about 3 meters.

And today we have a wonderful winter storm. I say it is wonderful because the wind makes so loud sounds that it overruns the noise of cars. Some things are moving, an old vaccum cleaner I had outside fell aside and even small metal things move. Not to worry but quite fascinating so see and hear! And it is normal to have storms like this at this time of the year..

And we had a litte earthquake again last week . . .

En France, sur la Côte d'Azur toujours un temps magnifique soleil, ciel bleu sans nuage 15° cet après midi...

In France, on the French Riviera, the weather is still beautiful, sunny, blue sky without clouds 15° this afternoon...

In the Paris region of France, this morning, we have fog "à couper au couteau", a French expression which means that you can't see anything beyond a few metres. It's like being in the mountains (such fog is common in winter there), and in fact you can imagine that you are anywhere you want to be! ;-)

In SW France, we haven't seen the sun in days. In fact, for several weeks, it has been mostly cloudy and foggy every day. Some days, we are shrouded in fog all day long. It has also been relatively cold. Yesterday the high was 1 C. The day before, the low was minus 4 and the high 0 C. Today, at this moment, it is 1 C. Fog. Completely overcast. I feel like I've been living in the setting for some kind of horror movie.

Yes, we are living in what we call a fog sausage (we're also SW France). Meanwhile, there seem to be pretty big differences regionally. Look at that blue blob of coldness!

1642509352502.png

Last edited:
Stockholm, Sweden
18 Jan 2022

Here it seems like winter hasn't made up it's mind; to stay here or not - it just doesn't settle fully. Sometimes a little bit freezing, and then mild days again - nothing out of the ordinary, though. (There is no snow on ground). The prognosis for the near future, suggests that the same patterns will prevail (e.g. no stable winter conditions for the rest of January - moving along the mild side of things)

The sun still comes out from time to time - which is pleasure every time up here; to see a blue sky with a smiling sun.

Clouds & Moon Dogs 🐕

Yesterday evening on 17 Jan 2022 in Stockholm, round 18.00 - when I woke up with my eyes barely open, and coffee still on the stove - I thought, let's check the sky in case of any auroras appearing (just in case). Instead I watched curious clouds together with a light phenomena. Around the very bright moon, brilliant "moon dogs" appeared (equivalent to sun dogs; colorful spots on each side of the sun).

But what puzzled me most, was the appearance of what looked like two different cloud types - yet they moved along with the same speed. (The sky was darker than the photos suggest, so it wasn't clear to me what really went on) It just looked so strange to me with the "Cirrus" vs. Sc clouds, and that was the reason I took out the camera, to see more details.

What happened I believe was, a matter of "virga" precipitation from a cloud: supercooled droplets within the Stratocumulus translucidus clouds started to precipitate out as ice crystals looking like "feathery clouds", creating the bright moon dogs, while the space in between started to clear up - but that process only happened in a slim streak between the Sc clouds.

Anyway, it was a very pretty sight ! The rainbow colors were very strong, easily to see and I can't remember having seen moon dogs this brilliant in colors before.

2022-01-17-18-20-21panorama.jpg

2022-01-17-18-20-21.jpg

A few days ago this latest winter storm hit southwest Ohio, with snow and freezing temperatures, these days have been the heaviest snow accumulation since winter started here. The nights have also been brighter.
269659502_347672260241819_83532905885270548_n.jpeg

En France, sur la Côte d'Azur toujours un temps magnifique soleil, ciel bleu sans nuage 15° cet après midi...

In France, on the French Riviera, the weather is still beautiful, sunny, blue sky without clouds 15° this afternoon...
Living a few kilometers from PERLOU, I will add that for 2 months the humidity has been very present in the morning and evening (as if it had rained) and also for 3 weeks a high atmospheric pressure above 1020mb or hp (last night 1026mb) .

Eastern Hungary, 90 miles from the Ukrainian border

We had almost two weeks of ugly wet cold with overcast skies. Snow fell only three times about a quarter inch (all winter so far). Then this Tuesday temps went up to 3°C / 37.4°F and the sun was out with winds of 12km/h / 7.5mph, which is about the maximum safe and endurable windspeed in cold to jog in wet clothes for hours outside.

I made the excellent decision to acclimatize to outside and did a 140+ minutes fasted sprinting exercise in the open countryside with full sunshine, which went amazingly without heart-problems. When the sun went down, almost disappearing below the horizon, the cold wind started up again. Exhaustion + wet clothes chased me home. My muscle endurance was also not ideal because of the 2 weeks pause in this ugly, overcast, high winds, cold weather.
This decision proved to be superb[!] as Wednesday temperatures immediately went down, puddles froze up and the freezing cold wind got twice that strong!

Such fasted-sprinting exercises are life-savers for "wash-mashining" my full-body attaining good detox, energizing the mitochondria, boosting brain function, getting rid of toxins via two hours of fast breathing, sweat, internal heat + muscle work doing athletics!

In the Netherlands, a winter storm named Corrie has wreaked havoc in many places and at sea as well. A cargo ship collided with a tanker and was severely damaged, but all 18 crew members have been safely rescued. The vessel is now adrift. The tanker had no damage. About 260 flights had to be cancelled at Schiphol Airport and the railways were also heavily affected with the normal schedule in tatters. Trees were uprooted and other storm damage spread throughout the country. Full details here:

Storm Corrie batters Dutch coast, disrupting air and road traffic - DutchNews.nl
Cargo ship Julietta D is drifting southwards, 18-strong crew were rescued - DutchNews.nl

GGD branches closing Covid test, vaccine sites ahead of storm Corrie’s arrival
Code Orange for Storm Corrie: Dozens of flights canceled; Road, rail traffic issues expected
Fallen trees causing damage, delays as storm Corrie crosses NL
Storm Corrie: Storm barriers closed, multiple incidents on roads
Storm Corrie: Some 260 flights cancelled at Schiphol; Train routes heavily impacted
Ship with 18 on board sinking after collision off IJmuiden coast

Now where I am, on the northeast of the midwest (USA), yesterday it rained all day, and today with the onset of this latest winter storm, with snow-ice, we have small ice hail since this morning, apparently all this weekend will be in negative temperatures, tonight is predicted -8 C, I hope there will be no power outages in my area, just be prepared with enough water and food, easy to prepare.
259257388_431455132043523_6615413888259149027_n.jpeg271585189_812820460116711_1966281016071523274_n.jpeg

Hungary, 90 miles from the Ukrainian border:

Weather got sunny and warmest today. The last two weeks here were overcast and cold 'twilight zone'-days interchanging with bright sunny and windy ones.

Last week there was plus ~40km/h wind for a day and it tore off two tiles from our old roof. On the go**le-street view picture your can see our roof in its 2013 state. Most of the house roofs are this old in our area, in our small agricultural city of ~18K souls.
roof.jpg

Modern, expensive roofs are insulated underneath - probably using multiple layers with perfectly fitting, spiffy-looking strong tiles on top made using various, much higher level technology and those modern tiles are usually screwed tight onto the roofing as well.

These old red clay tiles, you see on the above pic, however have only two clay hooks/nubs on their inside on top and they just break off when the tile gets old and slide directly down into the aluminum rain gutter or fall off onto the walkway. All these old red clay tiles are just sitting there on a loose, aged and bent wooden frame, made of thin & sparsely laid rails. There is nothing, no insulation underneath..

Naturally I inspected the entire roof:
((, which is too steep to directly climb on in running shoes without ropes & stuff: luckily there is a less steep sun-roof before the kitchen door with very good grainy-"sandpaper" topping, climbing there enabled to recover the old tiles.))
After replacing the torn-off tiles with perfectly fitting new ones and insulating the holes in the broken old lime-cast beside the chimney I took a good look of the entire roofing.

Our roof is frighteningly old and there are "big" sideways gaps between the poor clay tiles, but rain still can't leak in.. I can't believe the entire thing is still holding together as the white lime cast (on top and at chimneys) put there for insulation is diligently cracking and falling off from our neighbors roof as well.

So I calculated that this old roof is certified for about a 43 km/h speed wind. Anything higher - very stormy and never before seen hurricaney climate changey comes our way - and the entire thing is torn off. This realization gave me a good reality check like a cold shower.

Last edited:
Now where I am, on the northeast of the midwest (USA)
And I in central Ohio - Yesterday was rain/wintry mix until late afternoon when snow finally started to fall after being forecast to start at 6 a.m. Schools and businesses closed yesterday and today with other closings through the weekend as it is going to remain frigid with single digit lows. My county is under a Level 2 snow emergency [driving discouraged] while other counties are Level 3 [emergency vehicles only]. Because of the layer of ice laid down, roads, sidewalks, and even the ground is very slippery although there's several inches of snow on top now. My hubby worked from home yesterday and today. He noted that the snow consistency was different than usual when he went outside with the dog. Normal conditions will be returning on Sunday with a high of 35 F and sunshine.

No paper delivered today but saw this in the e-edition online:

1643991967591.png
Stay warm everyone and enjoy winter activities if you can! ⛄🛷⛸️🥌⛷️🏂 My family in Colorado certainly is:

Winter Park resort northwest of Denver, CO:
270222560_10165959634885298_8365706152832677161_n.jpg

Lunch al fresco
267768481_10165959634810298_4713743076623555203_n.jpg

This one knows how to really enjoy winter:
271000210_10165959634930298_8700535358455351956_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom