Which psychology book should I read next?

hlat

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I reserved Trapped in the Mirror at the library, but it'll be a couple weeks before it's ready. I'll be done with the Narcissism "Big Five" after reading it.

While I wait for it, which psychology book should I read? I'll read one from Cognitive and Social Science unless someone gives a strong recommendation for a particular book.

For the Narcissism "Big Five", I think The Narcissistic Family and Character Disturbance are immediate must reads. I think When the Body Says No is an immediate must read too.

I would suggest either Timothy Wilson's "Strangers to Ourselves" or Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking: Fast and Slow". Both books have forum threads dedicated to them where you can get some prior information before deciding.

This depends on who you are now and what programmes you have acquired along the way. "Fear of the abyss: Healing the wounds of perfectionism and shame" by Aleta Edwards was a must read for ME. But as I said, it is entirely dependent on you.

You could try Brain Changer, Redirect, Women who run with wolves

I think you were given good recommendations. It really depends where you are and what you are dealing with in your life, I find that it's always best to read something that helps me understand some particular issues in my life.

I think Kahnemann's and Wilson's books are must reads in terms of understanding our mind, and their terminology (like "system 1" / "system 2") is frequently used on the forum. If you prefer a more "hands on" book, I think "Brain Changer" is a good one; it gave me a few tricks to overcome my own thought loops that I still apply.

All the books previously suggested are really good reads! Just have a look at the suggested book thread, they have descriptions on what they're about so, as others have said - read what's best for you at the moment :) "Redirect" by Timothy Wilson is a good one also!

Back
Top Bottom