Who built the Padmanabhaswamy temple and what is hidden in the vault B, G and H?

irjO

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
This is a subject that in the past I had not given so much importance because despite having read about this temple, which is also known as the golden temple, I imagined that it had a similar past to the other temples in the area. But the construction method of the temple entrance is very admirable, it is not known how it was really built or who did it but I guess we could answer that by thinking that the same methods were used as other megalithic constructions I think. Not long ago I saw a documentary that really caught my attention and the documental was regarding a long legal battle to own the rights and authority of the temple between the government and the royal family. So I started to look more into it and its really something strange and fascinating.

The temple is located in Thiruvananthapuram, south of India. It is not really known who built it, apparently the ''experts'' are dating its construction to the Sangam literature period which is around 1800 to 2000 years ago. However, there are researchers who say it is much older than that.
Wikipedia says:
The name of the city of Thiruvananthapuram in Malayalam translates to "The City of Lord Ananta", (City of the Divine Serpent) [1] referring to the deity of the Padmanabhaswamy temple. The temple is built in an intricate fusion of the Chera style and the Dravidian style of architecture, featuring high walls, and a 16th-century gopura.[2][3] While the Ananthapura temple in Kumbla is considered the original seat of the deity ("Moolasthanam"), architecturally to some extent, the temple is a replica of the Adikesava Perumal temple in Thiruvattar.[4]

The principal deity Padmanabhaswamy (Vishnu) is enshrined in the "Anantha Shayana" posture, the eternal yogic sleep on the infinite serpent Adi Shesha.[5] Padmanabhaswamy is the tutelary deity of the royal family of Travancore. The titular Maharaja of Travancore, Moolam Thirunal Rama Varma, is the trustee of the temple.

Padmanabhaswamy_Temple_0.jpg

They call it the golden temple because apart from having vaults full of gold which government took its majority to God knows where, the central façade that gives the main access to the temple is covered in many parts by gold as well. In fact it is the richest temple in the world. They have even found a statue of the goddess Vishnu completely made of gold inside, among other treasures.

On the exact two days of the Equinox ( close to March 21st & September 23rd), one gets to see the setting Sun all aligned and passing exactly through each of the windows in roughly 5-minute intervals. The temple is a fine example of an architecture that blends Dravidian and Kerala's traditional architectural styles.
maxresdefault.jpg

The temple was known to have six vaults that were sealed and named by letters A B C D E F. So 5 of the 6 vaults have been opened and they found relics of more than a trillion dollars worth in gold, diamonds and other precious stones.

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 7.05.44 PM.png

The most strange thing of all is that the vault B (before the other vaults G and H were discovered), they have not been able to open this vault because it has been very difficult to do so, apparently according to legend they have to use a specific sound wave with a special Sanskrit chant that no one knows. The door of this vault has two cobras that were not present in the other vaults. Local legend has it that it is the chamber of destruction and if opened, it would bring an ''apocalypse or worldwide cataclysms''.

The only known picture to the entrance to Vault B:
https _blogs-images.forbes.com_jimdobson_files_2015_11_temple-1.jpg
In the early 1900's there was a commission of explorers who attempted to open the vault and were attacked by snakes in the area and abandoned the mission. In 2012 there was another failed attempt without being able to open the vault.

Finally in 2014 they did an audit because apparently the management of the temple was being corrupt and found that there were two more vaults of which no one knew of their existence the vault G and H. And to this day no more is known about these vaults. According to some reports they were able to open vault B but they did not release the information because they could not explain what was inside, but there is no proof of this ever happening and it is not known if it is true or not.
Apparently there was talks to do another attempt in 2019 but nothing was informed or transcended after that. Finally in 2020 the temple passed to be under the royal family control and apparently they have no intention whatsoever to open the missing vaults according to the information given by the media.
There are many mysteries surrounding this temple and of course one begins to think that it is partly because they want to seize the gold and relics but also the way the temple was built, the shapes of the vaults and their seals. The fact that no one can enter the temple unless you are of a specific Indian religion and wear specific clothing. That is why there are very few photos of the temple and very little is known about it, is something that caught my attention that maybe can be asked to the Cs. I presented the question already so its better to put the information here first.

Attachments

• Padmanabhaswamy_Temple_0.webp
    182.9 KB · Views: 12
  • https _blogs-images.forbes.com_jimdobson_files_2015_11_temple-1.jpg
    https _blogs-images.forbes.com_jimdobson_files_2015_11_temple-1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Good questions. Creepy doorway, albeit well executed. I would not want to go in there.

Creepy indeed! I wouldn’t go in there either if I get the opportunity. I think that’s the reason they made it like that to make people afraid and make them to stay away (whoever built it)

Hi,

i cant remember where i did read the story but i did read about an organisation called "The Nakal" brotherhood which owned and protected knowledge from the sunken continent of "Mu" over thousands of years and supposedly had been involved in the building of the temple. Part of the knowledge of the people of Mu has supposedly been stored in this Chambers.

It really looks like out of a computer game.
But just assumed it is no fake, to see a Fleur-de-lis on a temple door in the south of India is curious.
From wikipedia:
According to Pierre-Augustin Boissier de Sauvages, an 18th-century French naturalist and lexicographer:

The old fleurs-de-lis, especially the ones found in our first kings' sceptres, have a lot less in common with ordinary lilies than the flowers called flambas [in Occitan], or irises, from which the name of our own fleur-de-lis may derive. What gives some colour of truth to this hypothesis that we already put forth, is the fact that the French or Franks, before entering Gaul itself, lived for a long time around the river named Leie in the Flanders. Nowadays, this river is still bordered with an exceptional number of irises —as many plants grow for centuries in the same places—: these irises have yellow flowers, which is not a typical feature of lilies but fleurs-de-lis. It was thus understandable that our kings, having to choose a symbolic image for what later became a coat of arms, set their minds on the iris, a flower that was common around their homes, and is also as beautiful as it was remarkable. They called it, in short, the fleur-de-lis, instead of the flower of the river of lis. This flower, or iris, looks like our fleur-de-lis not just because of its yellow colour but also because of its shape: of the six petals, or leaves, that it has, three of them are alternatively straight and meet at their tops. The other three on the opposite, bend down so that the middle one seems to make one with the stalk and only the two ones facing out from left and right can clearly be seen, which is again similar with our fleurs-de-lis, that is to say exclusively the one from the river Luts whose white petals bend down too when the flower blooms.

Iris compared with fleur-de-lis ornament in French
The heraldist François Velde is known to have expressed the same opinion:

"However, a hypothesis ventured in the 17th c. sounds very plausible to me. One species of wild iris, the Iris pseudacorus, yellow flag in English, is yellow and grows in marshes (cf. the azure field, for water). Its name in German is Lieschblume (also gelbe Schwertlilie), but Liesch was also spelled Lies and Leys in the Middle Ages. It is easy to imagine that, in Northern France, the Lieschblume would have been called 'fleur-de-lis'. This would explain the name and the formal origin of the design, as a stylized yellow flag. There is a fanciful legend about Clovis which links the yellow flag explicitly with the French coat of arms."
Sauvages' hypothesis seems to be supported by the archaic English spelling fleur-de-luce and by the Luts's variant name Lits.

Iris pseudacorus, the yellow flag, yellow iris, or water flag, is a species of flowering plant in the family Iridaceae. It is native to Europe, western Asia and northwest Africa.
-> Iris pseudacorus - Wikipedia

The part of the doorway that strikes me most - besides the obvious first-layer ominous intent - is the fleurdelysé insigia at the bottom third. I wish I could dive into the genealogy of that symbol, so to speak. I'd also seen it in ancient egyptian symbology, which is interesting in itself, but was not aware it was also present on the indian subcontinent. I'd definitely love to know how long ago that vault was built.

The doors reminded me of Night on Bald Mountain in Fantasia. That section starts about 3 minutes in:

This is a subject that in the past I had not given so much importance because despite having read about this temple, which is also known as the golden temple, I imagined that it had a similar past to the other temples in the area. But the construction method of the temple entrance is very admirable, it is not known how it was really built or who did it but I guess we could answer that by thinking that the same methods were used as other megalithic constructions I think. Not long ago I saw a documentary that really caught my attention and the documental was regarding a long legal battle to own the rights and authority of the temple between the government and the royal family. So I started to look more into it and its really something strange and fascinating.

The temple is located in Thiruvananthapuram, south of India. It is not really known who built it, apparently the ''experts'' are dating its construction to the Sangam literature period which is around 1800 to 2000 years ago. However, there are researchers who say it is much older than that.
Wikipedia says:

View attachment 45405

They call it the golden temple because apart from having vaults full of gold which government took its majority to God knows where, the central façade that gives the main access to the temple is covered in many parts by gold as well. In fact it is the richest temple in the world. They have even found a statue of the goddess Vishnu completely made of gold inside, among other treasures.

On the exact two days of the Equinox ( close to March 21st & September 23rd), one gets to see the setting Sun all aligned and passing exactly through each of the windows in roughly 5-minute intervals. The temple is a fine example of an architecture that blends Dravidian and Kerala's traditional architectural styles.
View attachment 45399

The temple was known to have six vaults that were sealed and named by letters A B C D E F. So 5 of the 6 vaults have been opened and they found relics of more than a trillion dollars worth in gold, diamonds and other precious stones.

View attachment 45400

The most strange thing of all is that the vault B (before the other vaults G and H were discovered), they have not been able to open this vault because it has been very difficult to do so, apparently according to legend they have to use a specific sound wave with a special Sanskrit chant that no one knows. The door of this vault has two cobras that were not present in the other vaults. Local legend has it that it is the chamber of destruction and if opened, it would bring an ''apocalypse or worldwide cataclysms''.

The only known picture to the entrance to Vault B:
View attachment 45401
In the early 1900's there was a commission of explorers who attempted to open the vault and were attacked by snakes in the area and abandoned the mission. In 2012 there was another failed attempt without being able to open the vault.

Finally in 2014 they did an audit because apparently the management of the temple was being corrupt and found that there were two more vaults of which no one knew of their existence the vault G and H. And to this day no more is known about these vaults. According to some reports they were able to open vault B but they did not release the information because they could not explain what was inside, but there is no proof of this ever happening and it is not known if it is true or not.
Apparently there was talks to do another attempt in 2019 but nothing was informed or transcended after that. Finally in 2020 the temple passed to be under the royal family control and apparently they have no intention whatsoever to open the missing vaults according to the information given by the media.
There are many mysteries surrounding this temple and of course one begins to think that it is partly because they want to seize the gold and relics but also the way the temple was built, the shapes of the vaults and their seals. The fact that no one can enter the temple unless you are of a specific Indian religion and wear specific clothing. That is why there are very few photos of the temple and very little is known about it, is something that caught my attention that maybe can be asked to the Cs. I presented the question already so its better to put the information here first.
Very interesting! My question is, what royal family are you talking about?

After following a few links, reading a bit more, I think asking "who" built this temple would be like asking who built any of the medieval churches or the buildings of ancient Rome or Greece that are now ruins. It appears that the oldest archaeological artifacts associated with the temple are from 2nd/3rd century BC when trade with the Greco-Roman world was getting going. It is probably this that led to the great wealth invested in this structure.

This is a subject that in the past I had not given so much importance because despite having read about this temple, which is also known as the golden temple, I imagined that it had a similar past to the other temples in the area.
I was writing a post on the topic not yet pushed the button. You beat me @irjO. My line of force is more to look at historical and religious origins to demystify it as much as possible.
This is a subject that in the past I had not given so much importance because despite having read about this temple, which is also known as the golden temple, I imagined that it had a similar past to the other temples in the area.
Currently, golden temple is name used for Sikh Gurdwara in Amristar in Punjab for its Gold coating. Gold coating on the temple can be found in most popular Indian temples. Most of them lost in other religious group invasions and occupations over the centuries. here is some and there are more. The interest in this specific temple's became only visible during the last decade due to court case created by disgruntled priest forcing the court system to open it.
But the construction method of the temple entrance is very admirable, it is not known how it was really built or who did it but I guess we could answer that by thinking that the same methods were used as other megalithic constructions I think.
There are many temples in similar patterns (whether gold plated or not), many lost to invasions. You will find thousands of video's talking about many heavy Indian monuments which can only be lifted using some lost technology. May be or May be not.

This temple topic ( or the public perception of it atleast or "sensational" parts) on Indian news for at least 10 years. I think the attraction to this topic falls under different categories. Wealth ( at least $US 1 Trillion )of itself is a big attraction for outsiders.
  • History: Indian nationalists who complain how much they were looted by Muslim invaders ( 1100AD -1800AD) and British later with usual issues. Atleast, for me, The real question is how did this treasure survive after 1000 years of invasions from North.
  • Religion: Orthodox Hindu believers who believe in their doctrines that protected the wealth along with antiquities of their religious texts.
  • Financial: Outsiders who are not aware of local sensitivities who wonder "How can you leave the treasure like that". India has so much poverty, why can't you use it? It is not that simple when considered political compulsions that rely on religious sensibilities and public distrust on the dysfunctional authorities and so on.
  • mystery: Mystery and fear component of snakes, chants, curses and so on. Note: Hindu religions has all sorts of animals mentioned here.
I will try to address each component and that means some detours.
In my view, "Who built" it can't be answered without "When". South India, the home of Dravidian cultures, contains 4 major language groups. This temple in Kerala belong to the Malayalam speaking population. Each state has their own share of popular temples they like. Until the last century, long distance travel is risky, so the patronage for this temple is mainly from mostly locals and rulers. Given that it is port city on arabian city for trade, it has good income.
Wiki says
Several extant Hindu Texts, like the Vishnu Purana, Brahma Purana, Matsya Purana, Varaha Purana, Skanda Purana, Padma Purana, Vayu Purana, Bhagavata Purana and the Mahabharata mention this shrine. The Temple has been referred to in the (only recorded) Sangam period of literature between 500 BCE and 300 CE several times.
Are these reference to purana's are reliable to maintain authenticity of the antiquity? : probably
Hindu religion and its deities changed over time. Hindu texts historically fall under Shruthi ( "As heard") and Smriti ( "As Remembered"). Vedas fall under Shruti ("As heard") mainly during Vedic period ( 1400 BC - 600 BC) patronized by local rulers called Janapada's and mahajanapada's , which gradually expanded from ( North to West) as shown in this "History of India: Every year" video.

By 600 BC, due to Brahmin excesses, alternative religions formed in the form of Buddhism and Jainism forcing the rewriting of the Hindu texts from ritualistic Vedas. Here is some organization of Hindu texts.
650px-Bharatiya_Samskrtika_Parampara.jpg
One can easily see specific pattern changes in the Smritis ( after 600 BC) and Shrutis(Vedas- until 600 BC), though the themes of questions of interest are same.
  • Minor gods in Vedas ( Vishnu and Shiva) became major Gods in Puranas.
  • Most of the Purana's is the story of incarnations of Vishnu in variations w.r.t animals depicts, direction of movement etc. as wrote here. Not all Purana's has same location of origins. Some Puranas only heard in some regions.
  • Most of population is aware of the ithihasa's( Ramayana and Mahabharata) and some what Purana's . All other texts has to be interpreted by brahmin experts or Sanskrit experts or Sadhu's. Interesting part of the Ramayan and Mahabharata is, it is the story of over lap geographic locations of Vedic Janapada's with later Vedic god( Vishnu) reincarnations ( Rama and Krishna) etc.
    • Northern Vedic Janapada's (kingdoms) Gandhara, Kuru, Panchala comes up in Mahabharata. C's mention Arjuna in Mahabharata as "fictional"
    • Kosala( Ayodhya as capital) comes in Ramayan. C's mention Rama as "High priest influenced by Confederation"
    • Interestingly, C's say Ankhor-Wat was build by 4D STS in 1100BC where some of depictions of these stories are depicted. Well, 4D STS doesn't have time and they can go back and time and put it too. What i find it interesting is, these purana's and ithihasa's are combination of Vedic kingdoms and what is Anghkhor Wat pictures with later vedic gods put in the format of "fight between good and evil". Historicization of Myth and Mythicization of History at work. It makes sense, when we look religion as a means of rallying people behind some thing or ruler, having a history give some legitimacy to the narration.
Any way, The temple seems to have been there during early Tamil Sangam period and Purana's seems slowly evolved during this period, each from different regions and packaged into one grouping. There are 3 periods that repeat ( 200BC-500BC, 9th century, 18th century) in the articles related to the temple. This temple should have been built and rebuilt many many times. Architecturally, there is nothing special or like many other temples. Building some vaults ( 20ft below) under a temple santum sanctorum where nobody allowed except priests( common custom) is not a big technological achievement when one has the means and resources. India geographically protected by water in 3 directions and other side by Himalayas. Trade wise they are all over that region - Indian ocean, Arabian sea, Indo-china (many kings around 1AD are hindu kings) , lots of trade through ocean routes to Rome.
Indo-Roman trade relations (see also the spice trade and incense road) was trade between the Indian subcontinent and the Roman Empire in Europe and the Mediterranean Sea. Trade through the overland caravan routes via Asia Minor and the Middle East, though at a relative trickle compared to later times, preceded the southern trade route via the Red Sea which started around the beginning of the Common Era (CE) following the reign of Augustus and his conquest of Egypt in 30 BCE.

The southern route so helped enhance trade between the ancient Roman Empire and the Indian subcontinent, that Roman politicians and historians are on record decrying the loss of silver and gold to buy silk to pamper Roman wives, and the southern route grew to eclipse and then totally supplant the overland trade route.
The current Gopuram is built in 18th century by founder of Travencore kingdom Marthanda Varma who built his kingdom by defeating dutch with the help of British and French, later his successors became princely state under British. Some sources say he is responsible for the setting up this protection through chant.

Here we are talking about span of 2500 years. Lot change, local rulers fight and loot. But, wealth is still in the same place( thanks to water on 3 sides, himalayas) . If one reads Indian History, If one Hindu king won a war over another Hindu King, they simple looted the wealth, But the diety is lifted to different location as a symbol of victory and they haven't destroyed the temple not to offend the population. India has healthy GDP through 1800 years after 1AD before British destroyed village economy.
From 1 CE to 1000 CE, India had a 32 percent share of global GDP. During the second millennium, Islamic invasions disrupted economic activity, and India yielded the top spot to China. Still, India’s share remained at 28-24 percent between 1000 CE and 1700 CE. By 1947, when India became free, the country’s GDP comprised around three percent of the global economy.
This temple is only one of 108 principal temples for Vaishnaism in the country and only one in 13 in the Kerala. There are lot many famous temples ( ex: Somanath temple) that were wealthy during medieval times, that were destroyed and plundered by muslim invaders coming from the northern to south. As a whole India with 600,000 villages at least 100,000 documented temples.
The temple is one of the 108 principal Divya Desams ("Holy Abodes") in Vaishnavism and is glorified in the Divya Prabandha. The Divya Prabandha glorifies this shrine as being among the 13 Divya Desam in Malai Nadu (corresponding to present-day Kerala with Kanyakumari District). The 8th century Tamil poet Alvar Nammalvar sang the glories of Padmanabha. The Ananthapuram temple in Kasaragod is believed to be the original seat of Padmanabhaswamy ("Moolasthanam").
How did this temple alone survive with its wealth intact, while all else disappeared to invaders/occupiers?
If we look at the above video of timelines, this specific southern tip, has only one non-hindu rulers until 1800. Sure, it has Buddhism and Jainism supported rulers 2000 years back, but they are not anti-Hindu like Muslims and Christians. Indians big into religious and temples stored lot of wealth. These are approximate times from the video.

Early pandyas ( 540 BC) , cholas ( 340 BC) cheras : 299 BCE , ay: 192BCE - 367 CE , Kalabhras : 367CE - 599CE , Middle pandyas - 599 CE -924CE, Chola Empire : 925CE - Later Pandyas - 1215 - 1330, Delhi sultanate - 1330 - 1338 , Vijayanagras - 1339 - 1650, venad - 1650-
Travancore- 1750 - 1799.

Except short few years between 1330-1338 AD period this small southern most pocket, didn't have any anti-Hindu rulers until 1800. Being on the south most tip, it is easy to ignore and this region spanned another prosperous Hindu Kingdom called Vijayanagara that ruled most of the south India for 250 years. As per our history lessons, this Vijayanagara is so prosperous that gold sold on street corner on carts. Probably it is like modern day Dubai.
The economy of the empire was largely dependent on agriculture. Sorghum (jowar), cotton, and pulse legumes grew in semi-arid regions, while sugarcane, rice, and wheat thrived in rainy areas. Betel leaves, areca (for chewing), and coconut were the principal cash crops, and large-scale cotton production supplied the weaving centers of the empire's vibrant textile industry. Spices such as turmeric, pepper, cardamom, and ginger grew in the remote Malnad hill region and were transported to the city for trade. The empire's capital city was a thriving business centre that included a burgeoning market in large quantities of precious gems and gold. Prolific temple-building provided employment to thousands of masons, sculptors, and other skilled artisans.
As usual, empires come and go, with it their wealth, but this tip some how went to another Hindu kingdom Venad ( 1650AD) after Vijayanagara empire, while most of the south fell to other Muslim rulers. Even around 1800 AD, when the it ( then Travancore state) became semi-independent Princely state under British rule, it has control of some stuff. The main thing rulers of Travancore ( 1750-1799) did was they declared themselves as servants of temple God, became controllers of the temple, used this temple as a "secret Bank vault" converting taxes to gold, storing and has records over thousands of years.
Source of Wealth
The valuables are believed to have been accumulated in the temple over several thousands of years, having been donated to the Deity, and subsequently stored in the Temple, by various Dynasties, such as the Cheras, the Pandyas, the Kolathiris, the Pallavas, the Cholas, the Travancore Royal Family and many other Kings in the recorded history of both South India and beyond, and from the rulers and traders of Mesopotamia, Jerusalem, Greece, Rome, and later from the various colonial powers from Europe, and other countries.
There are over 3000 surviving bundles of 'Cadjan' leaves (records) in Archaic Malayalam and Tamil, each bundle consisting of a hundred-thousand leaves, which relate to donations of gold and precious stones made exclusively to the temple over the millennia. Most of these are yet to have been studied and very few have even been glanced at yet. As these pertain exclusively to the donations made over millennia they would throw a lot of light on the story of the treasure.
Most of the vaults are in sanctum sanctorum and some even behind the diety. Except priests, no body is allowed into the sactum santorum as per any hindu temple tradition. Here is one local account talk about how they hid the gold coating on the deity with some local paste.
As I live within 50m of Padmanabhaswamy temple, I guess I can answer this question, but not with a historical perspective.
Let us divide the answer into a few sub-headings :

1. What is the treasure ?
Until Independence, we had a small princely state under the name 'Thiruvithamcur'. And we had all the stuff that comes along with a princely state - princes, princesses, royal families, fortification, etc.. And we too had wars with neighboring princely states.
Being a princely state, we had received income from various sources - taxes, war victory, in the name of friendship, etc...you name it ! And most of this income was received/converted in the form of gold. Basically, public money in various forms converted/received in gold.

2. How was the treasure found ?
Well, to say the truth - it was a public secret. ! Everybody knew that there was a treasure. There have been numerous occasions where my grandfather told me about the treasure.
I have heard contradictory proclamations about the construction of the temple.
Some say that the temple was constructed with the sole motto of hiding the vast amount of treasure that the kingdom possesses. ie, an alternative to a super-safe vault, to hide it from other native radical rulers and finally the British. Hidden in plain sight !
Anyways, there is one widely accepted theory :
The idol of Padmanabha Swamy is completely covered with gold. And it was not until 2008 that this was found (confirmed actually..everybody knew, like always!). Fearing the british might take away the gold and the treasure (a moment of silence for the Kohinoor gem now resting in the Queen's crown), the then king ordered it to be kept hidden. Hence, it was covered with an unknown mixture (quite simple actually) of household cooking ingredients and some clay. Still, nobody has figured out how it held on for so many decades ! Hence, it was widely accepted that there was a treasure inside the temple.

Here is a account of attempts to recover the items in one of the vault early 20th century. Here there is lot of spin citing same author Emily Gilchrist Hatch according one's own glasses. There are 8 vaults(including recently found 2 more ), it was not clear which one is this. Indian public like to put it as "greedy Britisher's attempt to loot", British would say "we are just helping you". Well, you decide what it is.
However, Emily Gilchrist Hatch, who was in Trivandrum in 1933, offered an explanation in her book, Travancore: A guide book for the visitor (Oxford University Press, 1933). She not only recalled the 1931 opening of the vault, but also mentioned a similar but unsuccessful attempt that had been made in 1908.

Ms. Hatch, who in the preface to her book profusely thanked the Travancore government for all the “help and counsel” extended to her, recorded that the temple had a vast amount of wealth ‘lain in vaults.'

“About 25 years ago,” she wrote, “when the State needed additional money, it was thought expedient to open these chests and use the wealth they contained.” “A group of people” got together and attempted to enter the vaults with torches. When they found them “infested with cobras” they “fled for their lives.”
Ms. Hatch's book provided a description of how large wooden chests were placed “ready to receive the daily offerings.” She mentioned that as and when the chests became full they were lowered into the vaults for safe-keeping. This may partially explain how votive offerings like gold coins reached the vaults. But the description does not throw much light on how large artefacts such as the golden icon that was recently discovered reached the vaults.

Does the chants and curses can control the animals to protect treasure?: Scientific Materialism will say it BS. For me, this reminded me a little incident when I was 5. We went to our grand mothers village for funeral and heard a story of treasure in some corner of the house according to some astrologer/spychic/guru whoever. But, eldest son of whoever opens will die. Obviously they sold the house. These type of beliefs exist in villages where most of the Indian voters lives. so the politics of it.

Some body wrote about simple rational explanation of survivability of snakes in that environment if they have underground tunnels. from those tunnels they can come and go for their feeding to some location or forest . If some body ( here Travencore family don't want it to be opened), wants it, they themselves can release some snakes to scare the hell of people. After all, India is documented as land of snake charmers. Can't they do that, if they can hide it for 2000 years?

C's talked about any body with sufficient mental strength can create Curse. In this topic, it may take the form of highly spiritual Sadhu needs to use Garuda mantra to nullify curse as written in many of these articles. Before I go that far, one needs to look at that possibility of tunnels. Here is a interesting snippet from forbes article.

(UPDATED 8/22/16) According to the India Times, an audit conducted into the assets of the famed Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple in Kerala's Thiruvananthapuram has shown that a massive amount of gold from its repositories has mysteriously disappeared. Up to 769 Gold Pots and Silver bars have been reported missing. Some skeptics are also suggesting that there is a hidden tunnel beneath the chamber that allowed the architects to lock the chamber doors from within, making it impossible to breach. This secret tunnel could invariably have led to many years of plundering the treasure trove without anyone noticing.

Is the entire snake story is a simple bluff on a treasure that accidentally survived for few thousand years?

After following a few links, reading a bit more, I think asking "who" built this temple would be like asking who built any of the medieval churches or the buildings of ancient Rome or Greece that are now ruins. It appears that the oldest archaeological artifacts associated with the temple are from 2nd/3rd century BC when trade with the Greco-Roman world was getting going. It is probably this that led to the great wealth invested in this structure.

Oh I see! Thanks for the clarifications and looking into it. I appreciate it, It makes sense along with the info from Seek10 post.

I was writing a post on the topic not yet pushed the button. You beat me @irjO. My line of force is more to look at historical and religious origins to demystify it as much as possible.

Apologies :lol: perhaps we were connected at some level thinking on the same topic. And yes, your input is very valuable, I was looking for that type of historical and religious origins details.

There are many temples in similar patterns (whether gold plated or not), many lost to invasions. You will find thousands of video's talking about many heavy Indian monuments which can only be lifted using some lost technology. May be or May be not.

That's true, I watched a couple of them before. Some temples caved on rocks were a little impressive at least the precision of the cuts on the rocks. I reminded me Machu Pichu a little bit with the huge stones and megalithic structures.

Here are a few example of other temples in the area:

This one is beautiful.
895275839Ellora_Kailash_Temple_Main.jpg

index.jpg

6d4de91a788d656c165875f05d8a95c7.jpg

The interior in this one is impressive:
Ellora-Caves.jpg

The cuts on the walls are more detaled inside this cave but couldn't find specific picture yet I saw it on a video.
Lomas_Rishi_entrance.jpg

The majority of these structures including the Padmanabhas wamy temple are in the same general area:

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 10.54.55 AM.png
In my view, "Who built" it can't be answered without "When". South India, the home of Dravidian cultures, contains 4 major language groups. This temple in Kerala belong to the Malayalam speaking population. Each state has their own share of popular temples they like. Until the last century, long distance travel is risky, so the patronage for this temple is mainly from mostly locals and rulers. Given that it is port city on arabian city for trade, it has good income.

Makes sense along with Laura's response.

Does the chants and curses can control the animals to protect treasure?: Scientific Materialism will say it BS. For me, this reminded me a little incident when I was 5. We went to our grand mothers village for funeral and heard a story of treasure in some corner of the house according to some astrologer/spychic/guru whoever. But, eldest son of whoever opens will die.

The chants is more like ''mythical'' legend from the locals, although what really got my attention is the fact that they still can't open that vault. The sounds wave subject reminded me of the contrustion of the pyramids explained by the Cs, so maybe a similar method was use on somre of these structures?

Is the entire snake story is a simple bluff on a treasure that accidentally survived for few thousand years?

Perhaps yes, is intriguing nevertheless.

Apparently there are still 7 active royal families in India:

1. The Mewar Dynasty

Rana Sriji Arvind Singh Mewar is the 76th custodian of the Mewar dynasty. The family owns heritage hotels, resorts and charitable institutions across Rajasthan and has a collective staff of over 1,200 people to run them! This includes the beautiful Jag Mandir Island Palace on Lake Pichola. I mean, just look at this beauty.

2. The Wadiyar Dynasty

The 23-year-old Yaduveera Krishnadatta Chamaraja Wadiyar is the present titular Maharaja of Mysore and the head of the Wadiyar dynasty. It is said that the family has properties and assets amounting to Rs. 10,000 crore . Yes, you read that correctly.

3. The Royal Family of Alsisar

The 16th scion of the royalty of Alsisar, Abhimanyu Singh is currently the head of the family and is otherwise known as the Raja of Khetri. Under the family name, he owns a haveli in Jaipur and in Ranthambore each. What’s more, he is also the co-sponsor of an annual EDM festival, Magnetic Fields! Talk about being royal and cool.

4. The Royal Family of Rajkot

While most next-generation royals are converting ancestral properties into heritage hotels, the royal family of Rajkot is taking enterprise to a whole new level. The head of the family, Yuvraj Mandhatasinh Jadeja has invested nearly 100 crores in bio-fuel development and hydropower plants. He has also tied up with US Pizza to set up outlets across Gujarat.

5. The Gaekwads of Baroda

After being crowned as the Gaekwad of Baroda, Samarjitsinh Gaekwad recently inherited property worth over Rs. 20,000 crores . This comprises nearly 2,000 acres of prime residential, commercial and industrial real estate, including 600 acres around the magnificent 187-room Laxmi Vilas Palace. The prince recently constructed a personal 10 hole golf course for himself in the palace. Phew!

6. The Royal Family of Jodhpur

Apart from a few forts and palaces, the family owns the world’s largest private residence - the Umaid Bhawan in Jodhpur. However, a part of the palace is managed by the Taj Group as a heritage hotel in partnership with the family.

7. The Royal Family of Bikaner

The current heir of the royal family is former shooter and Arjuna Award winner, Princess Rajyashree Kumari. At present, she is the Chairperson of many charitable trusts in Rajasthan and is also the owner of the opulent palace and heritage hotel, Lalgarh Mahal.

As usual, empires come and go, with it their wealth, but this tip some how went to another Hindu kingdom Venad ( 1650AD) after Vijayanagara empire, while most of the south fell to other Muslim rulers. Even around 1800 AD, when the it ( then Travancore state) became semi-independent Princely state under British rule, it has control of some stuff. The main thing rulers of Travancore ( 1750-1799) did was they declared themselves as servants of temple God, became controllers of the temple, used this temple as a "secret Bank vault" converting taxes to gold, storing and has records over thousands of years.

Oh I see, so basically the temple is more like bank sort of, or at least the original purpose, Did I get it right?

Actually I forgot one, the:

The Travancore Royal family is from the Hindu Nair lineage and they ruled the princely Indian state of Tranvancore until independence. The family are descendants of the Chera kings and are Samantha Kshatriya.

And they are the ones who are managing the temple at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom