Why did it snow in october?

Do you know why 'endless debates about weather' is so engrained in your culture?

Interesting question which I never gave much thought...

Perhaps because Canada is such a multi-cultural melting pot that weather may be a small talk subject that is a polite, political and culturally secular topic.

Perhaps it is a source of polite humor, or way to show a concern for others perhaps by discussing the clothing one may want to consider in advance of unpleasant weather or perhaps to layer our clothing in the event that the weather may be uncertain!

It's easy to lose the big picture when you just focus on your own little world and subjective experiences and understanding.

I agree - we Canadians may be a bit too pragmatic about weather as we experience a broad range for sure!

I am not far from Canada & here in Minnesota, Happyvilles' statement is just as true here as it is there...

"In short its small talk for us, but the end of the day ( for us ) there is very little that is unusual about unusual weather !!

Even lightening during a snow storm - seen that constantly since I was a kid!!"

Is it possible that the weather that is being commented on, is just something that the "present" observer believes is unusual?

There was a storm here in Minnesota( along with other US states) that caused much loss, ( both Life & Property) that was called "The Armistice Day Storm". (Feel free to use search engines)

Unusual can be considered "normal"to some, at some times.

I would figure it depends on your "point of view" & how long you have been around to observe the changes to make them "unusual".
;)

Edit note: corrected the missing "i" in the word "figure" in last sentence.

MnSportsman said:
There was a storm here in Minnesota( along with other US states) that caused much loss, ( both Life & Property) that was called "The Armistice Day Storm". (Feel free to use search engines)

And how many other "once in a century" storms occurred that year all over the planet?

[quote author=1984]

Do you know why 'endless debates about weather' is so engrained in your culture? Is it so engrained that you disregard any information about changes in weather?
[/quote]

Being from there, indeed, weather and hockey dominate many discussions/news, perhaps so we don't discuss what is really going on.

[quote author=Laura]
It's easy to lose the big picture when you just focus on your own little world and subjective experiences and understanding. That's why SOTT exists - to constantly scan the planet and its environs (solar system when possible) and try to connect the dots. [/quote]

And thank goodness for Sott!

There is a whole lot of weird stuff going on and has been for years really kicking off back in 1985, (earlier, really, but that's when I sat up and paid attention!). One thing we have tracked as much as possible is the evidence of "global warming" on the OTHER PLANETS in our solar system. What is happening on Earth is not happening in isolation...

Our focus seems to be so below, when many are missing the above.

In 1986 in Calgary before moving, a Chinook wind was blowing hard in mid October with a warm westerly flow - it was in the mid 20's c (70's). To the North, a massive black cold front ridge stretching from west to east pushed down and withing a very short time period the temperature went from those mid 20's to minus -20's. Note: "Halley's comet appeared in the inner Solar System in 1986"

The trees were hammered while still trying to winterize - very surreal. A few years following, in April/May, a winter storm hit that snapped telephone poles like tooth-picks - thousands of them it seemed as well as steel transmission towers being folded over like they were tinfoil - yup, took notice then.

Laura said:
MnSportsman said:

And how many other "once in a century" storms occurred that year all over the planet?

I am having a bit of difficulty in finding info that you prompted me to look into.... since weather reports around the world in 1940 are not easy to come by in our computer age, it so far seems to me. I will continue to search a bit more. In the meantime, I went & grabbed a few links that describe some of the US weather "stories", in my pursuit of "World" weather anomalies for that year.

Just a few days earlier than the Armistice Day storm, the Tacoma Narrows bridge was taken down in the Pacific NW of the USA.

-http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dvn/?n=armistice_day_blizzard
-http://www.crh.noaa.gov/arx/events/armistice.php

An interesting list of unusual weather systems, ( although again, USA info.)
-http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/article.html?entrynum=5

I will continue to search for "World" reports of unusual weather for 1940.

If I am able to find them I will bring them here.

(Laura, it is my belief that you were trying to point out that you wanted "research" before my/or anyone commenting, in your question/request. My comment was to agree with Happyville & point out that it seems that there is a commonality of folks in his area of Canada & in mine, Minnesota/USA, about the discussion of weather, & that the Armistice Storm was still talked about here, due to its' unusual speed, devastation & area of effect. My comment was not to compare it to recent unusual weather. But, since your question had merit to me, regardless if it was a query , or a reminder; I pursued more info. I hope I can find what you asked for. JB)

In the short time I have looked so far, the only places( found 3) that seem to possibly have the information about 1940 "world" weather events requires me to pay a fee to see what they have to offer. Since I have no desire to "buy a pig in a poke" By saying that, my meaning is: pay for something & not know what I am getting, since the information they seem to offer , may not be what I want.
I am halting my search for a time.

Don't worry about it. My point was that the bigger picture was more important than the fact that there are areas on the planet that have repeated - if irregular - wild storms. Heck, look at Florida, where I grew up!

MnSportsman said:
In the short time I have looked so far, the only places( found 3) that seem to possibly have the information about 1940 "world" weather events requires me to pay a fee to see what they have to offer. Since I have no desire to "buy a pig in a poke" By saying that, my meaning is: pay for something & not know what I am getting, since the information they seem to offer , may not be what I want.
I am halting my search for a time.

I think the point is that a "once in a century" storm happening in one place is interesting, but if such "once in a century" events are occurring all over the globe, that's no longer an isolated event but part of a larger pattern.

I think it is fair to imagine, as residents of parts of the world where we are accustomed to significant fluctuations in weather, we can easily take it for granted. There are several places in the world that are accustomed to predictable patterns that are now experiencing unnerving changes, if not devastating extremes.

Those of us in the Northern American states and throughout most Canada need to change the paradigm of our thinking. We need to start paying more attention to change over time for our own weather patterns as well as consider the global phenomena. We need to see our weather in context of local and global climate.

For example, our Northeastern coastal communities are seeing an increase in frequency and intensity of storms, with higher winds, lower temperatures and greater precipitation. And further inland, we have seen devastating floods in Quebec and even into parts of the prairies. Sure, we've always had such events, but they are growing in intensity and frequency and, when we consider such events as part of a global phenomena, we are seeing aspects of something much bigger, much more threatening to our planet.

Around the planet we are witnessing increased incidents of flooding, droughts, snowfall, and unusually cold temperatures in some areas and intense heat in others. Combining climate with other events, like earthquakes, mass animal die-offs, etc., the picture that emerges is both terrifying and fascinating.

in fact, SOTT have been researching and reporting on changes, both on Earth as well as the solar system for some time. Great effort seems to have been invested in developing solid theories to explain these changes so that more people can become aware, spread the knowledge and prepare themselves. They seem to be among the few, if not the only ones, to have been connecting the dots of so-called chemtrails, earthquakes, changes in cloud formation, astronomical events and changes changes (including comets, solar activity, and events on other planets), animal die-offs, economics, agriculture and food production (including biotechnology), climate change, as well as climate politics, and several other seemingly unrelated (to mainstream science) events, and have shared the results of their efforts without fail.

If you are unfamiliar with these topics, it might be a good idea to spend some time on SOTT and read as much as you can. SOTT is not only an excellent source for news you might not find elsewhere, they also provide in-depth analysis on many of the topics that should concern us all.

Regards,
Gonzo

If you haven't notice all the interconnected changes and upheavals summarized by Gonzo, you really haven't been paying attention. The Signs of the Times have been collected, analyzed and working hypotheses developed so we can know where we are in the cycle of changes/transition. That's why these sites exist. :)

Seems to me that although people can read and read and read, the point may not hit home for some. Seems that if some cannot immediately perceive, get smacked in the face (so to say), the reason to that problem will not be digested easily and is continually re-asked ad nauseam.

[quote author=wiki]
If you drop a frog in a pot of boiling water, it will of course frantically try to clamber out. But if you place it gently in a pot of tepid water and turn the heat on low, it will float there quite placidly. As the water gradually heats up, the frog will sink into a tranquil stupor, exactly like one of us in a hot bath, and before long, with a smile on its face, it will unresistingly allow itself to be boiled to death.
[/quote]

edit: In the same category, people asking about HAARP also comes to mind...

I guess we do have to acknowledge that significant forces are at play outside of SOTT and Cass to prevent people from seeing the bigger picture and connecting the dots. Heck, the alleged role models of authoritative knowledge, scientists, researchers and the overly trusted main stream media, not to mention politicians, have done a poor job (or great job, depending on who's evaluating) at uncovering and sharing the knowledge the world so desperately needs. We only need to look at global warming and nutritional guidelines for fine examples of breeding the ignorance, complacency, denial and comfort that keeps societies lulled back to sleep.

'Tis an uphill battle, even here. And I'm no shining example of success, having fallen victim to impatience and not read certain threads sufficiently before embarking on dangerous experimentation (me, DMSO and lidocaine lotion, for example).

So, while I think I understand the why, I acknowledge the frustration those more awake and alert must experience.

Gonzo

Yes Gonzo. I must use restraint and external consideration every day. There is a saying I really like:

I used to get mad, now I get mildly amused...

:P :P :P

edit: I meant:
I must use restraint and external consideration on many days.

Of course, I cannot speak for anyone else, but it occurs to me that in the last ( almost 49 years) , I have observed quite a few things that could be considered "normal" & many things that could be considered "unusual" in particular & in regard to weather.

As a point.... I am saying that , SOTT, has done a wonderful job in bringing many items of information & interest, to many who choose to take the time to read what is presented there.

I am one of them who find SOTT a vital source for information. It is the only source I read anymore for news & have been doing so for some time. (Although I do "check-up" on some of the stories, as anyone should.)

& in my view, I appreciate anyone who points it out to me that they do a wonderful job.....

to a point.....

So , if no one else does... I thank you for your reminders & now...

back to the topic of the recent unusual weather...
;)

In 1986 in Calgary before moving, a Chinook wind was blowing hard in mid October with a warm westerly flow - it was in the mid 20's c (70's). To the North, a massive black cold front ridge stretching from west to east pushed down and withing a very short time period the temperature went from those mid 20's to minus -20's. Note: "Halley's comet appeared in the inner Solar System in 1986"

Calgary is in Chinook valley and has been for-ever - I am not sure the comet has anything to do with the Chinook!

A few years following, in April/May, a winter storm hit that snapped telephone poles like tooth-picks - thousands of them it seemed as well as steel transmission towers being folded over like they were tinfoil - yup, took notice then.

Also very normal ( although extremely dangerous ) is freezing rain - which is a danger in March April and May because its a transitional spring weather period for the central / eastern Canada ! Kids don't go to school when there is a chance of freezing rain!

MnSportsman said:
[...]
I appreciate anyone who points it out to me that they do a wonderful job.....

to a point.....
[...]

Could you please elaborate on what you mean with that comment?
What is the point?

Back
Top Bottom