Women who seek knowledge

Imagine the long line of 'broken machines' passing on their pain and disease to their children, the next generation. Mothers teaching their daughters how to give up and obey, fathers teaching their sons how to fight in a war to defend some pointless ideology...
Or those are the ones, who don't teach their children anything, only creating and recreating the drama and letting the little souls to their own devices.

Yeah, it can be pretty depressing at times to see so much of that...and more. But, although that is one aspect of our reality, it's certainly not the only one. And, although I know that I can sound obnoxiously optimistic sometimes, I find it more and more true as I age and gather more evidence from experience, it really does seem that everything has a reason.

At least for me, it's important to find out what those reasons are. The Real reasons, not just easy answers based on what I like or don't like. And oftentimes, when the real reason is beyond my grasp (which I don't like at all!), I consider it an exercise in honesty to avoid making things up or accepting dodgy conclusions to relieve the pressure.

I've also found that there are two main things that motivate me. Actually, three. The first is my love for those I love, and the idea that they may need my help occasionally and my companionship in this life. The second is learning how things work. Pretty much anything! I get a real kick out of trying to figure stuff out (and maybe sometimes even succeeding, but that can only be known in the end). And thirdly, challenging myself to embody the values I hold dear. A big one of which is doing things correctly. I figure that there's so much falsity and chaos in this world, and I, being the one to refuse to believe that that is all there is or should be, who better than me to prove that things can be otherwise? With varying success, of course.

Anyway, I always try to apply the third (embodying my values, doing things correctly) to the second (figuring things out) for the sake of the first (being a good companion and helper to those I love). But even though I look around and recognize the suffering in the world, I also recognize my own limitations when it comes to changing things on a much larger scale or being able to feel all the world's hurt and still function. I also recognize the hubris involved in thinking I might know how things should be instead, beyond that which concerns my personal choices. So, until I know more and grow more being, I do not want to waste too much energy taking on battles that are not really my own. That would make me inefficient at actually making a difference where I CAN make a difference, and should make a difference..... according to my values. That, because I am a practical person, for the most part, on top of being overall optimistic.

Well, some of my experience in seeking knowledge, FWIW!

Seeking knowledge, as a mother and wife. One aspect: health.
I started out just like most people in regarding health and healthcare: leave it to the professionals, doctors know the best. However, after some time, it became evident, that they have no answers for many things and just guessing when they prescribe medicine for something that they don't know how to treat. (Not to mention the super expensive medical conferences in tropical paradises to doctors, paid by pharmaceutical companies. That definitely didn't sound right). So, when my second husband was diagnosed with huge gall bladder stones, I took on a quest to find a non-invasive solution, as he would rather die to go under the knife. I found reflexology and I cured him in six weeks. (Not the emotional problem which caused the stones, but the stones themselves). Years later, I became a qualified reflexologist. I was able to cure my daughter's night terrors and my stepson's excessive blinking. (Both was a problem connected to the solar plexus, but caused by different stress-related issues) While it worked, to my disappointment, no one really interested in the little town I lived in. After some years, I gave up practicing.
Anyway, my son has baby eczema, not very bad, but it's not pleasant in the winter period. I tried everything, really, I did. Everything, the doctors advised. Finally, I started to use my own brain. I made a mixture of different natural remedies and vitamins, and it works. Not perfect, but so much better than anything else before.
I think it's very important to seek knowledge when it comes to our children.
I read everything about vaccination and came to the conclusion that my child will not be a pincushion filled with mercury.
Nowadays, one has to be very careful to express such opinions. One could be ended up branded as a tin foil head, put into the same category as a flat earther, but there could be much worse implications in the works.
My experience: none of those people who support mass vaccination read the pros and cons, only touted the official agenda. There is no seeking of knowledge on their part.

When reading The Narcissistic Family (Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman and Robert M. Pressman) this really becomes apparent, and really sad as the next generation, as you say, is caught up in the ripples of it all. Some, though, manage to escape the flow and take refuge in calmer eddies as they learn to navigate their own lives.
This is so true how it appears that there are two streams of reality, two paths, two spiritualities, two "strivings" as it were (each of which are choices); one of which is directed towards fragmentation, mechanicalness, unconsciousness, passivity (which is still a choice), stupidity, absurdity, sleep and unreality and the other toward the actualization of our true potentialities, integration, expanded awareness, conscience, objective knowledge and objective values.

I remember Gurdjieff speaking of these two "paths" or streams in the book 'Views From The Real World' which is excerpted below:

From the book 'Views From The Real World':

"It will be useful if we compare human life in general to a large river which arises from various sources and flows into two separate streams, that is to say, there occurs in this river a dividing of the waters, and we can compare the life of any one man to one of the drops of water composing this river of life.

"On account of the unbecoming life of people, it was established for the purposes of the common actualizing of everything existing that, in general, human life on the Earth should flow in two streams. Great Nature foresaw and gradually fixed in the common presence of humanity a corresponding property, so that, before the dividing of the waters, in each drop that has this corresponding inner subjective “struggle with one’s own denying part,” there might arise that “something,” thanks to which certain properties are acquired which give the possibility, at the place of the branching of the waters of life, of entering one or the other stream.

"Thus there are two directions in the life of humanity: active and passive. Laws are the same everywhere. These two laws, these two currents, continually meet, now crossing each other, now running parallel. But they never mix; they support each other, they are indispensable for each other.

"It was always so and so it will remain.
Now, the life of all ordinary men taken together can be thought of as one of these rivers in which each life, whether of a man or of any other living being, is represented by a drop in the river, and the river in itself is a link in the cosmic chain.
In accordance with general cosmic laws, the river flows in a fixed direction. All its turns, all its bends, all these changes have a definite purpose. In this purpose every drop plays a part insofar as it is part of the river, but the law of the river as a whole not extend to the individual drops. The changes of movement and direction of the drops are completely accidental. At one moment a drop is here; the next moment it is there; now it is on the surface, now it has gone to the bottom. Accidentally it rises, accidentally it collides with another and descends; now it moves quickly, now slowly. Whether its life is easy or difficult depends on where it happens to be. There is no individual law for it, no personal fate. Only the whole river has a fate, which is common to all the drops. Personal sorrow and joy, happiness and suffering—in that current, all these are accidental.

"But the drop has, in principle, a possibility of escaping from this general current and jumping across to the other, the neighboring, stream.

"This too is a law of Nature. But, for this, the drop must know how to make use of accidental shocks, and of the momentum of the whole river, so as to come to the surface and be closer to the bank at those places where it is easier to jump across. It must choose not only the right place but also the right time, to make use of winds, currents and storms. Then the drop has a chance to rise with the spray and jump across into the other river.
From the moment it gets into the other river, the drop is in a different world, in a different life, and therefore is under different laws. In this second river a law exists for individual drops, the law of alternating progression. A drop comes to the top or goes to the bottom, this time not by accident but by law. On coming to the surface, the drop gradually becomes heavier and sinks; deep down it loses weight and rises again.

"To float on the surface is good for it—to be deep down is bad. Much depends here on skill and on effort. In this second there are different currents and it is necessary to get into river required current. The drop must float on the surface as possible in order to prepare itself, to earn the possibility of passing into another current, and so on.

"But we are in the first river. As long as we are in this passive current it will carry us wherever it may; as long as we are live we shall be pushed about and be at the mercy of every accident. We are the slaves of these accidents.

"At the same time Nature has given us the possibility of escaping from this slavery. Therefore when we talk about freedom we are talking precisely about crossing over into the other river.

"But of course it is not so simple—you cannot cross over merely because you wish. Strong desire and long preparation are necessary. You will have to live through being identified with all the attractions in the first river. You must die to this river. All religions speak about this death: “Unless you die, you cannot be born again.”

"This does not mean physical death. From that death there is no necessity to rise again because if there is a soul, and it is immortal, it can get along without the body, the loss of which we call death. And the reason for rising again is not in order to appear before the lard God on the day of judgment as the fathers of the Church teach us. No, Christ and all the others spoke of the death which can take place in life, the death Of the tyrant from whom our slavery comes, that death which is a necessary condition of the first and principal liberation of man.

"If a man were deprived of his illusions and all that prevents him from seeing reality—-if he were deprived of his interests, his cares, his expectations and hopes—-all his strivings would collapse, everything would become empty and there would remain an empty being, an empty body, only physiologically
This would be the death of “I”, the death of everything it consisted of, the destruction of everything false collected through ignorance or inexperience. All this will remain in him merely as material, but subject to selection. Then a man will be able to choose for himself and not have imposed on him what others like. He will have conscious choice.

"This is difficult. No, difficult is not the word. The word “impossible” is also wrong, because, in principle, it is possible; only it is a thousand times more difficult than to become a multimillionaire through honest work."

Sybill, thank you for starting this interesting thread. Although it has moved beyond what was initially intended it is still helpful and a topic that I haven't seen discussed yet. It may be somewhere here on the forum but I haven't run across it yet.

I understood what you were trying to convey in your original post. Growing up it did seem like boys had more freedom to explore options than girls did and as both got older and into the parenting phase of their lives the females bared the responsibilities of the home and children. I also didn't understand why and felt constricted by those invisible rules that were handed down. I also rebelled at those and most other rules because I felt constrained by what others thought I should do or be. My mom tried so hard to make me into a respectable young lady who wore dresses and made me take dancing lessons for about 9 years. It was like being a bull in a china shop for me with being slightly over weight and clumsy to boot. :lol: I much preferred climbing trees and roller skating! I was a tom boy and have had a hard time in getting in touch with the feminine aspects of being female.

I was curious about things when I was younger but I didn't start out seeking knowledge in any meaningful way. I was more about experiences and considered myself seriously lacking in the intellect department. Having this in mind I adopted the trial and error method in finding out what works for me and doesn't. There where a lot of errors but I think the process helped me to start looking at myself, my family and my life in different ways. I had given up finding answers to some of the most existential questions while here on earth but I knew that what was being presented was not all there is. It was just a generic, unfocused understanding. Nothing more.

It wasn't until the loss of my son and the darkness that I was in that propelled me to starting looking for some of those answers. While the information may have been there all along it was too obscure for me to decipher and it wasn't until I tripped over Laura's work that I began to really see that there was indeed real people who were trying to learn the truth about the world and the realities we live in. Laura's work and many of the books on the recommended reading list have opened up a whole other world to me as well as others who are searching. For me, the fact that she is female didn't have a bearing on what she had to say may seem shocking except that her mothering and maternal instincts came through loud and clear. IMO I think that helped her not only find her path but commit to it in a way that many of us may find hard to do.

Firstly, an anecdote. For near a couple of years about 20 years ago I sat in an office part time and read what are known as 'unsolicited plays'. That is there was no selection criteria whatsoever other than the will and need of the writer to first write the play and then send them in and hope they would be read - and therefore discovered - and maybe produced. Play texts are essentially concerned with multi-layered world building. Of the circa 300 I read less than 10 were sent in by women. At the time I found that interesting.

Secondly, I think this video has much to teach both sexes about themselves. And each other.

Michael B-C's video was a great find for me in boiling down just what some of the differences are between men and women's brain functions which have a bearing in how we interact with life and each other. In addition to that boys and men have also been conditioned to do what they do as well as girls and women. I know I didn't have the nurturing gene and had to work at it and have had a hard time with the social construct for safety as well. Men did seem easier to work with and for than women to me and I now have a better understanding as to why.

Just reading the other responses in this thread alone helps to understand that the lessons we all have are different and gender has been used to divide us as well as the many other ways throughout the experiment we call life. It has helped me over the last 10 years to get in touch with the empathy I thought I had lost when I was younger.

It’s beautiful to know that you listened attentively, with empathy and are doing all you can to assist her. :flowers: I can’t even begin to imagine how hard or empty my life would be without the blessing of literacy and the freedom and knowledge it has gifted me (especially since finding this tribe!). Perhaps this woman will seek out a community program to help her to read if she genuinely is interested. It would certainly transform her life. Especially some romantic reading! 😍
Unfortunately, it is difficult to learn new skills when one has reached past a certain age. When the connections in the brain aren't trained at a younger age, it is impossible to train them at the age of 80. I've met immigrants who struggled to learn a new language in their thirties. I suppose this old woman can listen to audio recordings of romantic fiction but even handling new technology is difficult.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to learn new skills when one has reached past a certain age.
Unless one is really interested, and motivated to learn something once they reach adulthood,the false personality with its programmed stubbornness, shame, beliefs and the ego/ personality will reject a lot of knowledge and information.
When the connections in the brain aren't trained at a younger age, it is impossible to train them at the age of 80.
Oh, that’s simply not true anymore! There is a lot of “new” research totally invalidating this statement. The plasticity of the brain is a fascinating study, and the findings are incredible!
Here is a rather light article, detailing some aspects of the fascinating plasticity our brains, if you are interested:
Another wonderful source of information and inspiration can be found in the brain research and stroke recovered documented by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD. She had a massive stroke, and, well, here is another link to follow, again, if it interests you:
I've met immigrants who struggled to learn a new language in their thirties. I suppose this old woman can listen to audio recordings of romantic fiction but even handling new technology is difficult.
As I mentioned in my first comment, the will and interest to learn something new must be first and foremost.
In the case of “immigrants” these are people out of their life long known surroundings.
What types of psychological issues are now the reality for them? Are they in a constant fear mode?
When a Being is in Fight or flight mode, that looping danger takes over the complete brain response system, and learning a new skill would definitely not be a priority.

If the safety, health and environmental needs are met, there is generally more accessible “consciousness” freed up to take an interest in learning something new.
As the C’s say so perfectly “learning is FUN”!
I’ve also found that replacing old information and learning NEW information is even more FUN!
For what it’s worth, that’s what I have found in my quest so far.

Unless one is really interested, and motivated to learn something once they reach adulthood,the false personality with its programmed stubbornness, shame, beliefs and the ego/ personality will reject a lot of knowledge and information.

Oh, that’s simply not true anymore! There is a lot of “new” research totally invalidating this statement. The plasticity of the brain is a fascinating study, and the findings are incredible!
Here is a rather light article, detailing some aspects of the fascinating plasticity our brains, if you are interested:
Another wonderful source of information and inspiration can be found in the brain research and stroke recovered documented by Jill Bolte Taylor, PhD. She had a massive stroke, and, well, here is another link to follow, again, if it interests you:

As I mentioned in my first comment, the will and interest to learn something new must be first and foremost.
In the case of “immigrants” these are people out of their life long known surroundings.
What types of psychological issues are now the reality for them? Are they in a constant fear mode?
When a Being is in Fight or flight mode, that looping danger takes over the complete brain response system, and learning a new skill would definitely not be a priority.

If the safety, health and environmental needs are met, there is generally more accessible “consciousness” freed up to take an interest in learning something new.
As the C’s say so perfectly “learning is FUN”!
I’ve also found that replacing old information and learning NEW information is even more FUN!
For what it’s worth, that’s what I have found in my quest so far.
I agree with the previous speaker, but I would like to highlight one more aspect. Lifelong learners gain knowledge and experience with age. Additionally, this knowledge and experience can be extremely useful in many new endeavors. Hence, it may even be the case that an 80-year-old person learns certain things faster than a 20-year-old person because of age and experience.

Additionally, it does not have to be the case that at a certain age you can only train in one selected field. There are various similarities between the various fields of human knowledge.

Additionally, there are scientific studies showing that continuous training prolongs youth. They are also associated with the aforementioned neuroplasticity. Neuroplasticity is a very interesting issue and I myself take part in research that indirectly concerns it.

By the way, I've been interested in the ageing of organisms for a long time, and there may be some statistical regularities, but there are also quite numerous exceptions. I also recommend reading about the research of the Gerontology Research Group. I am particularly interested in them in the context of supercentenarians (people who are 110 years or older). Many of these people have started developing new skills after their 80s. There are also cases of people who started learning something new after the age of 100 or even 110 or more. Mental sharpness is not just a matter of metrics. It is very much a question of attitude.

For some reason there is a persistent tendency in society to discriminate against people on the basis of age, which I personally find hurtful. Not only for these people, but for all of us, because we will also be in this age someday. However, it is mainly up to us what our intellectual form will be then.

I cannot speak on behalf of others, but based on my experiences, I can learn new things if I really want to, even though I'm nearly fifty. Well, almost everything. I'm struggling with languages. I wanted to learn Latin for my classical studies, but I noticed, I'm halfhearted with this endeavor. So I wanted to learn Italian, but I'm also halfhearted. I noticed, that lately, in the last five years or so, my brain trying to go back to old patterns. For example, I need to be conscious when I driving not to go back right-side driving, which is the way I learned when I was young. ( I right-hand drive ten years and left had drive 16. ) Also, my native language, Hungarian is coming back more often in my mind. I have no problem reading in both languages, but my writing in English has not improved the way I expected it to so.
The lockdown was also wasn't helpful in this situation. Severed from human interaction I lost some of my confidence in speaking English.
Anyway, I still think that the brain is a wonderful little machine and we can do whatever we want if we really really want to, regardless of age.
I agree with continuous learning. It is great. However, I do not agree when the corporate agenda pushing it. There is no learning in stress and misery. I'm talking about those people who have been forced out of their job because they got older and forced into corporate slavery (supermarkets, restaurants, retail, etc..)
Lifelong learning when you see it written on the wall of the Job Centre is dreadful.
Many people are also damaged by their traumas and choose to succumb to brain fog instead of facing the demons.
And there are also the masses of pensioners battling with dementia and Alzheimers. They are poisoned by heavy metals and god knows what else. (perhaps fluoride?) They cannot possibly learn anything new, on the contrary. Of course, there is another agenda behind this. A more complex and more sinister. Strip the next generations off from their property inheritance, while feeding the nursery home business and big pharma.
On a positive note, I have seen many fresh-minded 'old people' who were kept themselves fit mentally and physically. But again, it was the positive mentality that kept them going and the feel of being still needed. Those grandmas who are actively participating in the life of their children and grandchildren have more chances to stay healthy mentally.

For example, I need to be conscious when I driving not to go back right-side driving, which is the way I learned when I was young. ( I right-hand drive ten years and left had drive 16. ) Also, my native language, Hungarian is coming back more often in my mind. I have no problem reading in both languages, but my writing in English has not improved the way I expected it to so.
It's interesting that Hungarian is your native language. I learned Hungarian and was even once an interpreter of Hungarian for church night tours. My native language is Polish.

I think there is an important point about language learning that many adults forget about. Let's try to find the difference. How do children learn languages and how do adults learn them? A child learning his first language is getting to know the concepts for the first time. This language becomes the only language for this child, he/she begins to think in it. It's natural.

On the other hand, the process of learning a language in a child is by no means faster than in an adult. An adult has the advantage that in the context of a language or languages that they already know, they learn a new language. Adults usually learn grammar faster, but they make a fundamental mistake. They don't think in the language they're learning. They all relate to their current language. They translate what they read into their native language. In this way, native language becomes a kind of metalanguage.

In language learning, it is very important to think realistically in the language you are learning. Grammar is of course very important, but the approaches can be combined. Whenever I learn a new language, I try to imagine that I can't speak at all. In this way, I match new words with concepts and begin to think in this new language. I do not translate into Polish. I refer to other languages only when learning grammar.

Anyway, my son has baby eczema, not very bad, but it's not pleasant in the winter period. I tried everything, really, I did. Everything, the doctors advised. Finally, I started to use my own brain. I made a mixture of different natural remedies and vitamins, and it works. Not perfect, but so much better than anything else before.
I think it's very important to seek knowledge when it comes to our children.

In eczema, the first recommendations are usually zinc and selenium. I've had it twice in my adult years and both have resolved it with long-term ketogenic diets. I would say they disappeared in about 3 or 4 months. Other than that, maybe the GAPS diet protocol could be explored.

In eczema, the first recommendations are usually zinc and selenium. I've had it twice in my adult years and both have resolved it with long-term ketogenic diets. I would say they disappeared in about 3 or 4 months. Other than that, maybe the GAPS diet protocol could be explored.

Thank you. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom