I'm thinking about purchasing a gun...

It's fine to consider tactics and strategies but don't lose perspective overthinking imaginary scenarios. In my (limited) experience, things happen very fast and you just have to accept the hand your dealt. I've had guns drawn on me twice while in the Army (both times at 'bad breath' distance). No shots fired luckily. I was also a bystander in a brief firefight in Honduras (why must people shoot guns while I'm trying to sleep?). Lots of rounds fired, one person killed.

In the '90s I used to do a lot of jobs in the parts of Chicago that the local employees were reluctant to visit. I didn't own/carry a handgun at that time and haven't been in a situation where I wished I had one to this day. Difficult to maintain much 'situational awareness' when operating a drill rig (the machine can kill/maim you just as quick as a bullet) but 25+ tons of iron/steel makes a nice obstacle to hide behind/underneath if bullets start flying.

After purchasing and training with a handgun, I would be very reluctant to use it for anything other than a last resort. Offhand shooting is not exactly a precise activity, let alone under duress with targets that won't hold still.

FWIW I've twice observed where having a gun calms others. Once the wife was fearful due to (false) rumors of rioters breaking into homes in our area and asked me for a shotgun to keep in the living room. She doesn't even like guns (or me owning them).
The second time I was working on a nephew's car at our shop when a domestic disturbace starts up next door.(Our shop is located in high violent crime area). My nephew was rather alarmed until I put the overhead doors down and informed him that I was armed.

I've studied Shaolin Kung Fu and Kenpo. I can use practically anything as a weapon now, but you hit the nail on the head...what if the other guy has a gun?
Better learn to improvise and be precise with sharpened forks. Im not joking, 10 yrs ago I could hit a target 3 to 5 meters from me with a sharpened fork repeatedetly. So while they start laughing when they see you pulling out a fork, the laugter will cease once you stick it in the middle of their forehead, guaranteed. Everything can be a weapon if used profficiently. Also; John Wick movies are not hype, I once saw one of my instructors in mma, break a guys arm in half, using a PEN. A freaking PEN.

Better learn to improvise and be precise with sharpened forks. Im not joking, 10 yrs ago I could hit a target 3 to 5 meters from me with a sharpened fork repeatedly. So while they start laughing when they see you pulling out a fork, the laughter will cease once you stick it in the middle of their forehead, guaranteed. Everything can be a weapon if used proficiently. Also; John Wick movies are not hype, I once saw one of my instructors in mma, break a guys arm in half, using a PEN. A freaking PEN.

blue-raja.jpg

I'm a huge Jackie Chan fan so I know exactly what you mean.

I knew an Israeli girl that taught me some things about Krav Maga and they are experts at using items laying around as weapons.

I would strongly recommend you attend a concealed carry license course wherever you are. You will not learn about your gun, you will learn about the law. Very important. And very context sensitive (i.e. depends on where you live). The worst case scenario is that you find yourself in a situation where you feel compelled to use (or even just "brandish") your firearm, only to find yourself in jail.

Ditto to what @rs said. I knew next to nothing about gun law before purchasing a 9mm handgun and the conceal carry class I took was a real eye opener regarding gun law. Depending on where you live in the US there are considerable different laws for different situations. In a nut shell, if you can escape a situation without even touching a gun that will always be your best choice. Even defending yourself against an armed attacker in your home can be legally complicated, lengthy, financially costly, lead to an uncertain verdict, and even more concerning is the moral implications potentially taking another's life. Take a deep breath and run away if you can.

It is good to be able to defend yourself, and it is good to be able to hunt if you want to do that. Guns are not the only good option for either. I think they will be rounded up soon in USA, but I hope not. We got rid of ours when the children came along. Accidents happen. Tempers flare. I think it was the right thing to do. One can do a lot with some ordinary items, but a shotgun is very handy for home defense.

I would generally recommend people invest in self protection. I've also got baseball bats, baseballs, and mace. Being a long time baseball player, I've got a heck of a swing, and a powerful, accurate throw. Same advise as above though! I'd only use these items if I felt it necessary to guarantee my ability to escape.

Above all, as others mentioned, awareness protects. Avoid situations that could potentially escalate to violence. Always have an escape plan. Surround yourself with people that will protect you. Control your body language as to not project weakness or vulnerability.

A gun should only be necessary to have in the most rare and extreme of situations. Then again, those situations are clearly increasing in number as society falls apart with unhinged personalities committing seemingly random acts of violence.

I think before you buy a gun to defend yourself it is as you have already been told, it is a mental/vibrational state. However as this is 3rd density and therefore a physical world, what I think you have to consider more than shooting with a gun, is learning to dodge the bullet. Anticipation is the key.

And also that one can resort to persuasion and dissuasion: Example; Beware of the Dog.

Warning signs and precautionary signals function not only at the most basic level of our reality, but also give a strong message to the universe in the game of free will.

There is a saying: He who warns does not betray.

We have very strict firearms laws in our country. It is almost impossible to acquire it at will. Only those who passed the exam in biology and joined the hunter's club, received a lot of permits from a number of government services, passed a medical examination and every six months - a year are allowed to buy, it is necessary to pass control and report for each shot (hunting or just training).
Nevertheless, I had thoughts to go through all these difficulties, but I refused. I do not think that in the event of global natural disasters, it could help. For hunting birds, there are pneumatic guns that are safe for people. And in the event of unrest, even the arsenal will not help, without proper military training, fortified shelters and loyal friends.

Do whatever you feel is right. But like all these people said, having a gun is a heavy responsibility. It is a powerful tool.You should dedicate training around professionals and seek their advice if you plan to. The purpose I have a weapon is because this country’s founding fathers laid a foundation for us that has kept the goverment iron fist at bay. They poison us, mock us, but they still haven’t taken our will. After all, we aren’t in Frances situation, right now at least. If guns didnt have such an impact on our people, Biden wouldn’t be going to all measures to remove them from us using false flags and Alzheimer’s jargon. That being said, I am a veteran with experience using several weapons. That doesn’t make me any more violent then the man who bludgeons people in the alleys of the inner cities for pleasure. The gun is a tool, the weapon is the human. If you beleive you will possess the weapon for responsible reasons, then by all means, do what you feel is right.

You can do a lot with a slingshot. They are light, cheap, quiet and legal. Some practice helps. According to legend, David brought down Goliath via sling method.
100%! I bet those bad boys can do some damage. In all honesty I bet all these tools and weapons we use are nothing compared to a fully enlightened human. Must be quite a formidable force. Now THAT I can get in on! 🤪

Australian truckers could be on the right track in shutting down the country (August 31st), in fact there's hearsay that US truckers want a sympathy shutdown in order to show their support? Look at what happened in Moscow when the vax'd and unvax'd joined forces and refused to submit to the loss of freedoms because of covid restrictions. Some are postulating that Australia is a beta test for the US officialdom, speaking of officials did Brazil's president jump the shark in this presser?

Brazilian President Tells Supporters "Buy A Gun, Damn It" Amid Impending Chaos

"in a country with more than half of the population under food insecurity and in the midst of a new increase in the price of food, gasoline, gas, and electricity" now is the time to buy a gun."

Update:

I returned from the gun show today and purchased a Springfield XD 9mm handgun and a Mosberg Maverick 88 pump shotgun.
The last couple of months I have been doing some digging into the issue of acquiring firearms, and one site that really opened my eyes, is a Youtube channel called Active Self Protection. The founder has almost daily videos of instances of people protecting themselves from all sorts of things, robbers, home invaders etc, and they go through the videos step by step highlighting the moral and legal lessons from each one. One thing that comes up a lot is, these robbers and criminals don't care about anything, and will do anything to get what they want. And that it is really a moral right of good people to be able to protect themselves. For sure, the power brokers don't want you to be able to protect yourself, and in crazy Democratic cities and states, have made it almost impossible for good, law abiding citizens to acquire self protection weapons. I would learn everything you can about those weapons, and know how to use them if the need ever arises. Check out that site if you get a chance.

The last couple of months I have been doing some digging into the issue of acquiring firearms, and one site that really opened my eyes, is a Youtube channel called Active Self Protection. The founder has almost daily videos of instances of people protecting themselves from all sorts of things, robbers, home invaders etc, and they go through the videos step by step highlighting the moral and legal lessons from each one. One thing that comes up a lot is, these robbers and criminals don't care about anything, and will do anything to get what they want. And that it is really a moral right of good people to be able to protect themselves. For sure, the power brokers don't want you to be able to protect yourself, and in crazy Democratic cities and states, have made it almost impossible for good, law abiding citizens to acquire self protection weapons. I would learn everything you can about those weapons, and know how to use them if the need ever arises. Check out that site if you get a chance.

Please note that this is valid in the US, but not in Canada. Canada chooses which
"rights" it recognizes, and the right to self-defense isn't one. Whether a gun or a stick, the very fact of planning to use something for self-defense is enough to make it a crime in canada. I'm not saying your considerations should not be had, there is a great weight of responsibility to bear and consider when you take up such a powerful tool. I'm just saying, tho.

That being said, my buddy who's just been into shooting for fun way more than shooting precisely (shooting BBs all childhood) just now bought a shotgun for clay pigeons/moving target practice. Being less interested by shotguns than by long guns, I was not aware of shotgun speed reloading subculture, so I was impressed as to how quickly that can be achieved on the fly. It definitely makes shotguns seems even more practical than I thought:

Please note that this is valid in the US, but not in Canada. Canada chooses which
"rights" it recognizes, and the right to self-defense isn't one.
Well that is a pretty blank statement.

Here, from the Criminal Code of Canada Section 34, is the self-defense provision in view:

34 (1) A person is not guilty of an offence if
(a) they believe on reasonable grounds that force is being used against them or another person or that a threat of force is being made against them or another person;
(b) the act that constitutes the offence is committed for the purpose of defending or protecting themselves or the other person from that use or threat of force; and
(c) the act committed is reasonable in the circumstances.
This is a confusing issue for most, because of all the disinformation out there from the media and the so called experts. That is why I decided to study it a bit more on my own.
BTW the OP that I responded to is from the US, and that largely framed my response.

Back
Top Bottom