Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT): General information and discussion of Home Units

For maximum effect of vitamin C, check out the liposomal Vitamin C
Welcome to our forum, yngx! :welcome:

Could you please introduce yourself in the newbies section, so we can get to know you a bit better? You can answer questions like: How did you find us, are you familiar with Sott and Laura's work, what are you interested in and so on. No need to become really personal, if you don't want to. Thank you!

We found some clinics that offer Hyperbaric Chamber sessions here in Mexico and we're in the process of finding out more about those clinics and also about the treatment itself. The clinic we're looking into now offers 15 sessions for about 146.5 USD. I'm going to do some more research and see what exactly the clinic is offering and report back :-).

One thing I'm trying to find out is if it is OK to do 15 sessions first, then wait for a month, and then do 15 sessions again, and then wait again, until you reach the 45 mark. It shouldn't be a problem, but I just want to see if I find some information regarding the effectiveness of doing it in such a way.

From everything I've read, I don't think that would be an effective schedule. You need to pile them up pretty close for results.

The article on aging you shared said:

The researchers exposed 35 healthy individuals aged 64 or over to a series of 60 hyperbaric sessions over a period of 90 days. ...

"Today, telomere shortening is considered the 'holy grail' of the biology of aging," Professor Efrati says. "Researchers around the world are trying to develop pharmacological and environmental interventions that enable telomere elongation. Our HBOT protocol was able to achieve this, proving that the aging process can in fact be reversed at the basic cellular-molecular level."

"Until now, interventions such as lifestyle modifications and intense exercise were shown to have some inhibiting effect on telomere shortening," Dr. Hadanny adds. "But in our study, only three months of HBOT were able to elongate telomeres at rates far beyond any currently available interventions or lifestyle modifications. With this pioneering study, we have opened a door for further research on the cellular impact of HBOT and its potential for reversing the aging process."

I haven't started researching HBOT yet, but a quick search on Sott produced the following fascinating articles:

Sott linked to this article:

An oldie, but it may be interesting:

From everything I've read, I don't think that would be an effective schedule. You need to pile them up pretty close for results.

Thanks, Laura. I was looking for some information about it and you gave me the answer. I also found this on a another website:

In terms of total treatment duration, physicians recommend daily therapy for 4-6 weeks for most conditions.

And if the article about aging serves as a model, then they did it almost daily too.

So, I guess that it would be best to do at least 45 sessions as close to each other as possible.

Electrical stimulation​

Electrical stimulation involves the delivery of electrical currents to the skin via electrodes, which will activate muscle contractions and nerve conduction.
services_electrical-stim-ds.png

hi Joan, the photo in your post reminded me of Bob Beck's pulser ... https://www.bobbeck.com/pdfs/build-your-own.pdf

i built two of these about seven years ago; one for a friend whose daughter had acquired lyme disease - for some reason he decided not to use it and relied on modern medical methods ( we parted ways and i never heard of an improvement in her condition ).
and i built one for my family as we live in the country where ticks are common.
i use it for a few weeks then stop then repeat throughout the summer months - i've been bitten by ticks but have never had any lyme symptoms - other people's milage may vary, anyway, thought i'd share this here.
: )

Electrical stimulation​

Electrical stimulation involves the delivery of electrical currents to the skin via electrodes, which will activate muscle contractions and nerve conduction.
services_electrical-stim-ds.png

Small contractions improve muscle blood flow, relieve spasms and pain, and improve overall range of motion.
When combined with hyperbaric oxygen improved blood flow becomes supersaturated with oxygen yielding greater effects and faster recovery than mono-therapy. In individuals who have lost muscular control (i.e. stroke, brain injury, spinal cord injury), nerve stimulation can elicit functional movement. The mechanism is not clearly known, however the combination of nerve electrical stimulation, physiotherapy and hyperbaric oxygen therapy improves movement control, reduces synergism, spasm and fatigue, while allowing for selectivity, repeat-ability and strength.

Seems to me for those interested, and looking at the fees charged, a home unit would be cost effective and they way to go, in fact looking at the fee schedule, one could purchase 2 home units for the cost of of one complete (45) therapy sessions.
In researching HBOT it seems that one of the main benefits/goals is to supply tissues with more oxygen and nutrients, via blood/plasma flow. This is not done at the vein or artery level, but via the capillaries, which are very small.

In my understanding, 70% of our circulatory system is actually composed of capillaries verses veins and arteries. It is the capillaries that deliver the oxygen and nutrients to the cells, and also facilitate the detoxification of the cells.

One of the challenges for modern medicine is how to increase the blood flow to the cells. Evidently there are no "receptor sites" in this biological system for pharmaceutical compounds to bind to, so a drug solution has not been found.

HBOT seems like a really valid method to accomplish this goal.

I would like to introduce another approach that is available - PEMF (Pulsed Electro Magnetic Therapy)

There are several PEMF devices on the market. Generally speaking, you lie down on a mat that is connected to a sort of control unit for perhaps 10 minutes, 2 X per day. The base station generates a low power EMF signal. The signal is sent to your body via the mat.

This low power frequency is said to do two things - increase the production of Nitrous Oxide (Nitric Oxide in the Vasculature: Where Does It Come From and Where Does It Go? A Quantitative Perspective) in the bloodstream and increase the rate of Vasomotion, which is a sort of heartbeat or mechanical contraction of the capillaries that is actually independant of the heart itself.

Full disclosure, I own a device and am a distributer for a direct sales company called BEMER, which is a German/Swiss based manufacturer. I am not attempting to sell anything here, but my health results and those of my family have been very positive.

For those that are interested here is a link to some information.

In researching HBOT it seems that one of the main benefits/goals is to supply tissues with more oxygen and nutrients, via blood/plasma flow. This is not done at the vein or artery level, but via the capillaries, which are very small.

In my understanding, 70% of our circulatory system is actually composed of capillaries verses veins and arteries. It is the capillaries that deliver the oxygen and nutrients to the cells, and also facilitate the detoxification of the cells.

One of the challenges for modern medicine is how to increase the blood flow to the cells. Evidently there are no "receptor sites" in this biological system for pharmaceutical compounds to bind to, so a drug solution has not been found.

HBOT seems like a really valid method to accomplish this goal.

I would like to introduce another approach that is available - PEMF (Pulsed Electro Magnetic Therapy)

There are several PEMF devices on the market. Generally speaking, you lie down on a mat that is connected to a sort of control unit for perhaps 10 minutes, 2 X per day. The base station generates a low power EMF signal. The signal is sent to your body via the mat.

This low power frequency is said to do two things - increase the production of Nitrous Oxide (Nitric Oxide in the Vasculature: Where Does It Come From and Where Does It Go? A Quantitative Perspective) in the bloodstream and increase the rate of Vasomotion, which is a sort of heartbeat or mechanical contraction of the capillaries that is actually independant of the heart itself.

Full disclosure, I own a device and am a distributer for a direct sales company called BEMER, which is a German/Swiss based manufacturer. I am not attempting to sell anything here, but my health results and those of my family have been very positive.

For those that are interested here is a link to some information.

Just this morning I spoke to a lady from Sydney (I am in Adelaide) who has two HBOTs available @ AU$13 500. (Like the ones from this thread) That was a bit steep for me. I asked if I could do a 5K deposit and repay $250/wk which they could not do because they are a small business. I just got out of debt this year and have no intention of taking out a personal loan of any kind.

So she mentioned this PEMF blanket (AU$5000) which she said would be as beneficial. She said to use it for one hour in the morning and also in the evening. I explained to her that I have some nerve damage and circulation problems, etc, and she was quite sure that it would do the trick. Because I'm not very knowledgeable about the comparison I would not want to fork out that much money just to 'try' and I haven't even had time to look into them until this post from Thor's Pantheon. Strange timing because after I hung up from our call I felt a little disappointed and just said a prayer for clarity and direction regarding this issue. That was early this morning.🤔

I do not like the idea of visiting establishments for any sessions as I would rather have my own with which I can later help others, potentially. My FIR sauna has been helpful over the years so I would like to add as many therapeutic resources as I can afford for whenever they are needed.

Would the PEMF be a good enough substitute for a HBOT? Any helpful insights are welcome?

I hope this experiment leads to success in all your health goals!

In order to benefit more from the high-oxygen environment, would it be beneficial for people to train and improve their VO2max? In fitness VO2max is basically a measure of your body's capacity to utilize the oxygen it breathes, usually during an aerobic exercise. It's normally measured in mL of oxygen per kg of body weight per minute. Its improvement is strongly correlated to improvements in the stroke volume of the heart (i.e. the volume of blood pumped by the ventricles into the arteries). This, me, suggests that it also lowers resting heart rate, and possibly improves other markers associated with oxygen utilization in the body.

According to this article on using high-intensity endurance interval training to improve VO2 max and stroke volume, these interventions had equal improvements;

• Forty-seven repetitions of 15 second intervals at 90– 95% maximum heart rate (180 to 190 T 6 bpm) with 15 seconds of active resting periods at warm-up velocity, corresponding to 70% maximum heart rate (140 T 6 bpm) between.
  • Four 4 minute interval training at 90–95% maximum heart rate (180 to 190 T 5 bpm) with 3 minutes of active resting periods at 70% maximum heart rate (140 T 6 bpm) between each interval.

According to this article on using high-intensity endurance interval training to improve VO2 max and stroke volume, these interventions had equal improvements;

• Forty-seven repetitions of 15 second intervals at 90– 95% maximum heart rate (180 to 190 T 6 bpm) with 15 seconds of active resting periods at warm-up velocity, corresponding to 70% maximum heart rate (140 T 6 bpm) between.
  • Four 4 minute interval training at 90–95% maximum heart rate (180 to 190 T 5 bpm) with 3 minutes of active resting periods at 70% maximum heart rate (140 T 6 bpm) between each interval.
That kind of training is brutal I must say... Maximum effort sprinting for 4 minutes (!) and then resting with activity level compared to training done by novice gym-goer. It requires some mental preparation for sure and probably isn't for everyone. But this is interesting, I often observe decreased resting HR after doing training (which I do in the evening), and mean SpO2 increased by 1 percent during sleep (this might be a measurement error because of the optical sensor that I'm using).
The prices of hyperbaric chambers in Poland are in the range of 30USD per 60-minute session, so it's 1200USD for 40 sessions, and most probably one could negotiate a discount. So if anyone is visiting the country, almost all big cities here have a few places where one can do hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
I've got a response from one of the places located in Poland (Poznań), and the base price is 130PLN, but there is a 20% discount for 30 sessions, so (130PLN*30) - 20% = 3120PLN, which is ~700USD for 30 (60 minutes) sessions.

There are multiple places in Brisbane, Australia that offer HBOT at around 50 AUD per 1 hour session. One place has a member price at 30 AUD per 1 hour session, with the membership cost being 25 AUD/month.

I'm pretty sure that there are similar shops in other major cities in Australia too.

Pretty interesting video. The interviewed doc has an holistic approach. He talks about HBOT of course, but also its synergies with other therapies. I noted a few points of interest:
- 5 sessions a week, 60-120 minutes per session
- synergies with ketogenic diet
- niacin flush to boost oxygenation
- cryotherapy and neurofeedback
- sauna afterwards HBOT
- IV vit. C
- There is no study showing that HBOT favors cancers instead it seems to have a low regressive effect.

Back
Top Bottom