Graham Hancock

Re: Black Magic, Shamanism, Supernatural, Graham Hancock

Most typical are those cases caused by an aggression in the diencephalon by various pathological factors, resulting in its permanently decreased tonal ability, and similarly of the tonus of inhibition in the brain cortex. Particularly during sleepless nights, runaway thoughts give rise to a paranoidally changed view of human reality, as well as to ideas which can be either gently naive or violently revolutionary. Let us call this kind paranoidal characteropathy.

Interesting, today I was reviewing the literature about diencephalic lesions and pathological behavior related to the paranoidal characteropathy.

Case reports of diencephalic lesions includes euphoric, restless and hyper-vigilant behavior; excessive, uncontrollable, or incoherent talkativeness. It is often coupled with sexual disinhibition and sleep reduction. Also paranoia, irritability and aggression. (Th. Benke et al. Mania caused by a diencephalic lesion. Neuropsychologia 40 (2002 ) 245–252.)

Also, affective dyscontrol, socially inappropriate behavior, and mood changes have been reported in some case studies of diencephalic lesions. Hyperactivity and a manic-like states has also been characteristic in some cases. (K.C. Chung et al. Behavioral changes caused by diencephalic lesion. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 283 (2009) 240–320.)

This thread is being a real eye-opener.

If I'm seeing this correctly, we have 6D thought centers trying to sleep by using entropic overlords, archetypes and other sub-units with their geographic assignments and their hooks into all organic life in order to drain as much energy as possible to feed their black hole centers to eliminate all the disturbances to their 'pretense.'

Toward this end, everything from toxins in our environment getting into our bodies, human defaults (failure to implement creative, life enhancing choices), psychopaths, organic portals, wars, petty disagreements, shamanic experiences that are not necessarily spiritual and may, or may not, be delusional - anything and everything that can be imagined by the deepest most cunning minds to upset and control and drain the informing actions of the Creative effort - designed to get all available energy flowing 'gravitationally' towards 6D STS.

No wonder the convoluted subjectivity that seems so hard to break out of. Who can think clearly and widely in a toxic environment with forces of all description, pulling towards non-being, what little energy we DO have.

This discussion is exciting! It seems the questions posed from ZeroPointNinja helps fill in the picture quite a bit. (Apologies to ZPN if I was out-of-line by suggesting to take the fixation somewhere else). This reminds me of a high resolution digital picture, where you can look at a spot, zoom in on it and see the devil in the details.

Most fascinating! (as Spock would say)

Hi to all,

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread so far. Recently(actually I started yesterday) I undertook a research about Monoamine Oxidase genes, since they are associated with violent behavior and they were mentioned in Ponerology section of the forum as a possible link to psychopathy. I find it interesting that they are located in the X chromosome, it is a sex linked inheritance like Lobaczewski mentioned for essential psychopaths.

On the other hand, as for other pathologies like schizoid and paranoid disorders or characteropathies, I look for additional information, so Psyche, your post is really interesting. I think I am going to check out if there is a genetic condition that causes diencephalon lesions or wrong wirings in that region.

Edit: BTW, I know characteropathy is a lesion that isn't from birth and it isn't genetic, but I thought it may be fun to check whether there is a genetic predisposition in certain cases.

Reading Laura's post reminded me of this:

From session 941119:
Q: (L) What happened to Marcia Moore who was working on drug
enhanced outer space contact via altered consciousness
?
A: Permanent abduction victim by Lizards.
Q: (L) Why?
A: Too close to truth.
Q: (L) Well, are we close to the truth too?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) Will we be permanently abducted by the Lizards?
A: Knowledge protects.
Q: (L) But didn't she have a lot of knowledge too?
A: Scrambled with drugs.

Biomiast said:
Recently(actually I started yesterday) I undertook a research about Monoamine Oxidase genes, since they are associated with violent behavior and they were mentioned in Ponerology section of the forum as a possible link to psychopathy. I find it interesting that they are located in the X chromosome, it is a sex linked inheritance like Lobaczewski mentioned for essential psychopaths.

Yeah, I stumbled upon some papers about it yesterday as well, haven't checked them thoroughly, but the concept is very interesting indeed.

Biomast said:
On the other hand, as for other pathologies like schizoid and paranoid disorders or characteropathies, I look for additional information, so Psyche, your post is really interesting. I think I am going to check out if there is a genetic condition that causes diencephalon lesions or wrong wirings in that region.

Send it to me if you find something :).

Edit: BTW, I know characteropathy is a lesion that isn't from birth and it isn't genetic, but I thought it may be fun to check whether there is a genetic predisposition in certain cases.

I checked this one out as well (unintentionally, I was searching about characteropathies in general). There is actually something among those lines related to predispositions in males by having only an X chromosome and also because their neurodevelopment is slower. Well, I might be paraphrasing the paper wrongly. I'm a bit tired by now :zzz: Let me find it...

Robert F. Eme. Sex differences in child-onset,life-course-persistent conduct
disorder.A review of biological influences. Clinical Psychology Review 27(2007)607–627.

[...]

As previously discussed ,the common substitution of the Y chromosome for the second X,which dwarfs all other
DNA polymorphisms in the human genome,results in various hemizygotic effects for human males.Namely,since
most of the genes on the Y have no copy on the X,the products of these X-linked genes are determined by only half
hemi) of the chromosome complement.However,because females have two X chromosomes, the products of a gene at
a particular locus are potentially a function of the respective gene counter parts on both X chromosomes. Thus,females
potentially can receive twice the dose of gene products found on the second X(Craigetal.,2004). Because this can be
disruptive to the other genes shared by males and females, females have developed processes by which the genes on
one of the X chromosomes are inactivated in all somatic cells, though the extent of inactivation is far less than
previously thought(Carrel&Willard,2005).

This mechanism results in two important sex differences. First,it may help explain why more extreme versions
of a phenotype may be expressed in males than females(InstituteofMedicine,2001).Since males are hemizygous
or X-linked genes that have no Y homologue, they express whatever phenotypes are coded for on theX.Females,
in contrast, have two copies of each gene,and hence the effects of the two are averaged(Craigetal.,2004).
Therefore, because males express the full,unblunted effect of the single heterozygous allele,they will as a group be
more variable and hence more likely to express a more extreme phenotype than females(Rutteretal.,2003;Skuse,
2005).

Second,it helps explain the greater biological vulnerability of males who are 20% more likely than females to die in
utero, during infancy and preschool(Migeon,2006)and who are more vulnerable to most physical hazards such as
pregnancy complications, infections ,malnutrition,etc
.(Rutteretal.,2003). Namely,since males have only 1 copy of
X-linked genes, any defective gene mutation always results in the failure of the function encoded by thegene(Migeon,
2006).However,in female carriers of an X-linked mutation,random inactivation of one of the two X chromosomes
results in approximately 50% of their cells having the normal gene on the active X chromosome with the mutant gene
being on the inactivated X chromosome. Hence ,females typically have enough normal cells to perform the function
that has been compromised by a defective gene(Migeon,2006;Puck,1998).This explains why males usually have a
more severe form of X-linked recessive disorders such as hemophilia,Lesch–Nylan syndrome and fragile X syndrome
Migeon,2006). Moreover,as Migeon(2006) observed, “It does not seem far-fetched to think that cellular mosaicism
may have a role in some…sex differences in behavior” (p1433).The possibility of such a role receives support in the
phenomenon of genetic imprinting.

About (pre)frontal characteropathy, it seems that the prefrontal region of the brain requires more oxygenation in general, so that can make them more susceptible for prenatal or natal insults. Later on in the same paper, there is this:

Since executive functions are the most sensitive of all cognitive functions to acquired cerebral insult (Stuss&
Levine,2002),it follows that such insults commonly result in deficits in executive functioning. Of the innumerable
hazards that can inflict such insults, pride of place is accorded to prenatal and perinatal complications as their link with
antisocial behavior
has been securely established by several studies(Dodgeetal.,2006).These insults may account for
as much as 20% of cases of ADHD(Barkley,2005;Maxetal.,2004) and can cause a variety of other problems such as
hyperpersistent or disinhibited behavior,deficits in sustained attention ,impaired ability to delay gratification,or
difficult temperament which in interaction with environmental adversity can increase the risk of CD (conduct disorder).
Furthermore, since as previously discussed ,males are more vulnerable than females to a host of hazards which can cause such insults, acquired cerebral insults satisfies three of the criteria for a mechanism in that there is a sex difference linked to prior biological levels that increases the
risk for CD.

Interesting that it mentions executive functions, as Lobacweski makes reference to Alexander Luria in Ponerology, who invented a series of tests that evaluate executive functions and are related to prefrontal brain damage (and its networks: limbic system/amygdala) and pathological behavior. But I'll shut off now, as I haven't gone through all the papers yet and I might be conveying something off. :rolleyes:

Amazing thread!
The DMT question posed by Zeropointninja reminds me of what Don Juan told Casteneda about the first seers. The seers realized that they had to deal with petty tyrants before they could face the unknown, otherwise they would fail. It makes me think about these drugs being taken. A shortcut to facing the unknown is useless if we have don't have the proper knowledge of what "could be" there. That can be learned by interacting and networking HERE.

Yes, the Three Phase Progression:

1. Holding your own in facing petty tyrants.
2. Facing the unknown with courage.
3. Standing in the presence of the unknowable.

Castaneda said:
One of the greatest accomplishments of the seers of the Conquest was a construct he called the three-phase progression. By understanding the nature of man, they were able to reach the incontestable conclusion that if seers can hold their own in facing [human] petty tyrants, they can certainly face the unknown with impunity, and then they can even stand the presence of the unknowable.

The average man's reaction is to think that the order of that statement should be reversed," he went on. "A seer who can hold his own in the face of the unknown can certainly face petty tyrants. But that's not so. What destroyed the superb seers of ancient times was that assumption. We know better now. We know that nothing can temper the spirit of a warrior as much as the challenge of dealing with impossible people in positions of power. Only under those conditions can warriors acquire the sobriety and serenity to stand the pressure of the unknowable.

"The seers of [the Conquest] couldn't have found a better ground. The Spaniards were the petty tyrants who tested the seers' skills to the limit; after dealing with the conquerors, the seers were capable of facing anything. They were the lucky ones. At that time there were petty tyrants everywhere."

Hancock's "The Supernatural" said:
From the moment I woke up with my strength recovered, I knew that it had flipped some sort of switch in me, because I was no longer able to see anything in the world in the same negative an nihilistic way as I had done before. From time to time a morbid thought would still stray across my mind and try to drag my mood down; previously I would have dwelt on it obsessively until it made me miserable; now I found it easy to dismiss it and move on. [..] Whether this healing was achieved through contact with the spirit world, or whether it was just a beneficial side-effect of shaking up my brain chemistry, I felt grateful to ibogaine. [..] It had swept away the cobwebs of ingrained bad habits and moods.

I am wondering whether this is a purely chemical effect of ibogaine.

I first learned about iboga and ibogaine from an article in a local paper years ago. Turns out, ibogaine is used in some circles as a way to kick heroin, methadone, or cocaine addiction. It has not been approved in the US and cannot be legally sold, so it is obtained illegally and used privately or in clandestine small treatment groups. The articles said that it is an efficient method to quit drugs, but there are safety concerns (heart risks and possibility of interactions with other drugs or chemicals).

The description of ibogaine's effects, as I remember it, very closely matches what Hancock says, and it is also why it works as a heroine antagonist, helping people quit. It sort of sedates and slows people down, evening out their emotions and reducing cravings. The effects are said to be long-lasting. Wikipedia also says:

Research also suggests that ibogaine [..] may affect compulsive behavioral patterns not involving substance abuse or chemical dependence.[1]

so it could straighten out brain chemistry for people in whom it is spiraling out of control, i.e., if they have a tendency to get depressed, as Hancock says he was prior to treatment.

The spiritual insights or understanding of their behavioral patterns that some people get from it, I think, are simply due to the fact that ibogaine slows its users down enough to think things over, and suppresses the mental chatter that interfers with the process. That allows for certain mental processes to be completed and for certain things to come to light.

For people, whose minds are clouded with addiction and accompanying emotional cacophony, or for people who simply are not used to "thinking with a hammer", this will certainly be a new and profound experience. For others, I am not sure if it even would make a difference. But even for the first kind of folk, it is up to them what they do with these effects after the treatment is over. People who are looking at hallucinogenic plants for real insights are looking for someone or something to do their work for them, and it just doesn't work like that, it's not a perpetuum mobile. So if all the person takes out of the ibogaine experience is, "hakuna matata, all is right with me and the world", well, that may shows how much of their own thought, energy or sincere asking the person has put into the experience to begin with -- not much. And that's the ultimate worth and the ultimate value of the experience.

fwiw

For those who are interested there is a two part video about Bruce Parry trying out Iboga during a ritual and explaining what's going on

Part 1 and Part 2 on you tube.

(his drug experiment starts around 6/7 min of the first video)

Buddy said:
If I'm seeing this correctly, we have 6D thought centers trying to sleep by using entropic overlords, archetypes and other sub-units with their geographic assignments and their hooks into all organic life in order to drain as much energy as possible to feed their black hole centers to eliminate all the disturbances to their 'pretense.'

Toward this end, everything from toxins in our environment getting into our bodies, human defaults (failure to implement creative, life enhancing choices), psychopaths, organic portals, wars, petty disagreements, shamanic experiences that are not necessarily spiritual and may, or may not, be delusional - anything and everything that can be imagined by the deepest most cunning minds to upset and control and drain the informing actions of the Creative effort - designed to get all available energy flowing 'gravitationally' towards 6D STS.

No wonder the convoluted subjectivity that seems so hard to break out of. Who can think clearly and widely in a toxic environment with forces of all description, pulling towards non-being, what little energy we DO have.

Yeah, these notions really ARE an eye-opener. Maybe the thing to keep in mind also, just to keep things in perspective and balance -- the negative and the positive -- is that as we become more STO, and especially if we "graduate" to 4th density STO, it becomes "easier" to resist / repel this STS "gravitational" pull toward Non-Being. If there is no identification with STS thoughts, they cannot "consume" our energies -- being "negative beings," they must consume negative emotions. The realms are supposed to be separated in the densities above ours (our Mixtus Orbis). And we ARE supposed to have made a choice at a certain point that aligned us with STS. On a level playing field, the STS side doesn't usually bother attacking STO, because there's no point, each side is supposed to lose some energy and polarization and have to regroup. So, eventually, together we'll be able to free ourselves from the depredations of hyperdimensional STS forces, stand our ground, and help all others who wish to do the same.

Much thanks to all who continue to contribute all this information on this fascinating thread, especially Laura, Psyche, and Biomast for opening up the examination in new directions.

Divide By Zero said:
The DMT question posed by Zeropointninja reminds me of what Don Juan told Casteneda about the first seers. The seers realized that they had to deal with petty tyrants before they could face the unknown, otherwise they would fail. It makes me think about these drugs being taken. A shortcut to facing the unknown is useless if we have don't have the proper knowledge of what "could be" there. That can be learned by interacting and networking HERE.

Laura said:
Yes, the Three Phase Progression:

1. Holding your own in facing petty tyrants.
2. Facing the unknown with courage.
3. Standing in the presence of the unknowable.

Quote from: Castaneda said:
One of the greatest accomplishments of the seers of the Conquest was a construct he called the three-phase progression. By understanding the nature of man, they were able to reach the incontestable conclusion that if seers can hold their own in facing [human] petty tyrants, they can certainly face the unknown with impunity, and then they can even stand the presence of the unknowable.

The average man's reaction is to think that the order of that statement should be reversed," he went on. "A seer who can hold his own in the face of the unknown can certainly face petty tyrants. But that's not so. What destroyed the superb seers of ancient times was that assumption. We know better now. We know that nothing can temper the spirit of a warrior as much as the challenge of dealing with impossible people in positions of power. Only under those conditions can warriors acquire the sobriety and serenity to stand the pressure of the unknowable.

"The seers of [the Conquest] couldn't have found a better ground. The Spaniards were the petty tyrants who tested the seers' skills to the limit; after dealing with the conquerors, the seers were capable of facing anything. They were the lucky ones. At that time there were petty tyrants everywhere."

Yup, I'm convinced that there is no point in fooling around with any of this without first going through what it takes to "temper the spirit of a warrior" so that he "acquires the sobriety and serenity" to withstand the pressures and dangers of the "unkowable," as well as facing the unknown. Knowledge Protects, Ignorance Endangers!!

Psyche said:
Interesting that it mentions executive functions, as Lobacweski makes reference to Alexander Luria in Ponerology, who invented a series of tests that evaluate executive functions and are related to prefrontal brain damage (and its networks: limbic system/amygdala) and pathological behavior. But I'll shut off now, as I haven't gone through all the papers yet and I might be conveying something off.

So yeah, it is something among those lines.

According to Alexander Luria [Luria, A. R.(1966) Higher cortical functions in man, New York: Basic Books. Luria, A. R.(1973) The working brain, London : Penguin], the human brain comprises three basic functional units that are interactively linked. The first unit is located mainly in the brain stem and is responsible for regulating and maintaining arousal of the cortex. The second unit is responsible for encoding, processing, and storage of information and encompasses the temporal, parietal, and occipital lobes. The third functional unit is located in the anterior region of the brain (the frontal lobes) and its functions include programming, regulating, and verifying human behavior. Within the third unit, the prefrontal cortex is considered by Luria as a superstructure that regulates or control mental activity and behavior. Damage to the frontal lobes, and in particular the prefrontal cortex, is expected to disrupt complex behavioral programmes and a person’s ability to verify or regulate behavioral outcomes. [R.C.K. Chan et al. Assessment of executive functions: Review of instruments and identification of critical issues. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology 23(2008) 201–216.]

Some people had called this changes in behavior as "pseudopsychopathic".

Hi to all,

Psyche said:
Damage to the frontal lobes, and in particular the prefrontal cortex, is expected to disrupt complex behavioral programmes and a person’s ability to verify or regulate behavioral outcomes.

I have read a paper about behavioral effects of low activity MAOA gene variant(MAOA-L). It is called "Neural mechanisms of genetic risk for impulsivity
and violence in humans" by Andreas Meyer-Lindenberg et al., 2006. Maybe I should read something new, but so far, this paper is the best I can come up with.

It basically indicates such a change cause distinct volume reductions in orbifrontal cortex and cingulate, both of which associated with amygdala regulation, like fear extinction etc. MAOA-L causes easily negative emotional retrival and a damage in fear extinction. The study wasn't about psychopaths, the sample group was healthy, but in the end, what researchers conclude and what I tend to agree is, when it comes to psychopaths, it isn't only about MAOA-L gene.

It seems MAOA-L causes high impulsivity, inability to regulate amygdala, and in certain cases those things lead to agression, but on the other hand if you observe psychopaths, their agression isn't about negative retrieval of emotions, they take pleasure from such things. So, I think MAOA-L itself doesn't close the case, though I understand why Lobaczewski thought so: It is a part of the puzzle and it is the gene that makes psychopaths more impulsive, thus makes it more easy to detect.
The study indicates carriers of MAOA-L variant and knock out mice have the characteristics of developped emotional memory and lack of motor skills. Yet we see something different in psychopathy, that is one of the reasons I think there is more to it.

Here what authors say:

In particular, OFC and OFC–amygdala interactions are critical for stimulus-reinforcement association learning and have been hypothesized to link sensory representations of stimuli with the social judgements made about them on the basis of their motivational value. Lesions of OFC are associated with disinhibition and antisocial behavior, and we have recently obtained imaging results showing reciprocal regulation of amygdala by both OFC and cingulate, suggesting that OFC provides a layer of control that may be especially important if cingulate function is suggested to be compromised, as here. Furthermore, we found significantly decreased functional connectivity with amygdala in men, indicating that this regulatory mechanism may be intrinsically weaker in men and that the genotype-dependent variation in OFC structure and function may therefore be more likely to result in insufficient amygdala regulation by this route.

Here the authors make distinction between instrumental and impulsive aggression, they claim psychopathy fits into instrumental agression and MAOA-L gene is associated with impulsive agression. They think if psychopathy is in question, MAOA-L can only take part in their impulsive angression, not instrumental agression. I don't quite understand the difference, and I am unable to determine if what they say is valid or not, so any suggestion and comment is welcomed.

Factor analytic studies of dimensional aspects of human temperament suggest that a distinction can be drawn between so-called impulsive-reactive and instrumental, goal-directed dimensions of aggression, although this distinction is not universally accepted. The instrumental factor has been associated with psychopathy, is often accompanied by diminished empathy and remorse, and has been linked to reduced amygdala activation and OFC volume. The genetic data presented here, which show the opposite effects associated with the risk allele, suggest that these two dimensions may be genetically dissociable; argue against an association of MAOA genotype with instrumental aggression and for a genetic risk for impulsive violence; and indicate that, whereas both instrumental and impulsive aggression may be present to varying degrees in most violent offenders, the risk imparted by the specific genetic variation studied here contributes to the impulsive dimension of this complex behavior.

One interesting thing about male-female difference is: Apart from the fact that there is two X chromosomes in females and can compensate MAOA-L variant in certain cases, this is what they say, and I found it interesting:

Of note, estrogens affect transcription of MAOA in brain, and sex hormone receptors are prominently expressed in amygdala, cingulate, and OFC.

I think something that MAOA-L hypothesis doesn't explain is the fact that psychopaths enjoy inflicting pain onto others, and they don't feel negative about their or others' emotions. They derive pleasure from negative emotions. So my humble hypothesis is that, their amygdala is somehow wired to pleasure pathways and when amygdala is activated, OFC and cingulate can't regulate it because of MAOA-L, but that doesn't cause lack of fear extinction, rather it causes lack of control and a sense of pleasure when they inflict pain onto others.

I don't know if somebody stated this elsewhere, I didn't go through the literature deeply, but that is what I think for now. What do you think, is it something to follow, or is it a dead end?

Biomiast said:
I have read a paper about behavioral effects of low activity MAOA gene variant(MAOA-L). It is called "Neural mechanisms of genetic risk for impulsivity and violence in humans" by Andreas Meyer-Lindenberg et al., 2006. Maybe I should read something new, but so far, this paper is the best I can come up with.

I just had a look at it to help be in the same page.

It basically indicates such a change cause distinct volume reductions in orbifrontal cortex and cingulate, both of which associated with amygdala regulation, like fear extinction etc. MAOA-L causes easily negative emotional retrival and a damage in fear extinction. The study wasn't about psychopaths, the sample group was healthy, but in the end, what researchers conclude and what I tend to agree is, when it comes to psychopaths, it isn't only about MAOA-L gene.

It seems to be the case. But the following looks very interesting as well:

A striking finding in the MAOA literature is the mediation of this genotype effect by past environmental adversity, suggesting an
impact on brain systems related not only to acute emotional regulation, but also to the processing of emotional experience.

Biomast said:
It seems MAOA-L causes high impulsivity, inability to regulate amygdala, and in certain cases those things lead to agression, but on the other hand if you observe psychopaths, their agression isn't about negative retrieval of emotions, they take pleasure from such things. So, I think MAOA-L itself doesn't close the case, though I understand why Lobaczewski thought so: It is a part of the puzzle and it is the gene that makes psychopaths more impulsive, thus makes it more easy to detect.

You mean why Lobaczewski thought that a gene closes the case of psychopathy, making them more impulsive? More "predatory"?

MAOA-L not closing the case for psychopathy for the reasons you just mentioned is something that the authors seems to say indirectly (see below).

The study indicates carriers of MAOA-L variant and knock out mice have the characteristics of developped emotional memory and lack of motor skills. Yet we see something different in psychopathy, that is one of the reasons I think there is more to it.

Here what authors say:

In particular, OFC and OFC–amygdala interactions are critical for stimulus-reinforcement association learning and have been hypothesized to link sensory representations of stimuli with the social judgements made about them on the basis of their motivational value. Lesions of OFC are associated with disinhibition and antisocial behavior, and we have recently obtained imaging results showing reciprocal regulation of amygdala by both OFC and cingulate, suggesting that OFC provides a layer of control that may be especially important if cingulate function is suggested to be compromised, as here. Furthermore, we found significantly decreased functional connectivity with amygdala in men, indicating that this regulatory mechanism may be intrinsically weaker in men and that the genotype-dependent variation in OFC structure and function may therefore be more likely to result in insufficient amygdala regulation by this route.

Here the authors make distinction between instrumental and impulsive aggression, they claim psychopathy fits into instrumental agression and MAOA-L gene is associated with impulsive agression. They think if psychopathy is in question, MAOA-L can only take part in their impulsive angression, not instrumental agression. I don't quite understand the difference, and I am unable to determine if what they say is valid or not, so any suggestion and comment is welcomed.

Factor analytic studies of dimensional aspects of human temperament suggest that a distinction can be drawn between so-called impulsive-reactive and instrumental, goal-directed dimensions of aggression, although this distinction is not universally accepted. The instrumental factor has been associated with psychopathy, is often accompanied by diminished empathy and remorse, and has been linked to reduced amygdala activation and OFC volume. The genetic data presented here, which show the opposite effects associated with the risk allele, suggest that these two dimensions may be genetically dissociable; argue against an association of MAOA genotype with instrumental aggression and for a genetic risk for impulsive violence; and indicate that, whereas both instrumental and impulsive aggression may be present to varying degrees in most violent offenders, the risk imparted by the specific genetic variation studied here contributes to the impulsive dimension of this complex behavior.

I checked the citation for instrumental vs impulsive aggression. It seems that instrumental aggression (present in the psychopath) is a "predatory nature", which makes them "non-human". This instrumental aggression is what may well make the psychopath seek the suffering of others as a goal, as if they take pleasure from it. The authors in the citation actually mention the word predatory, a controlled-proactive-instrumental-predatory subtype. Impulsive aggression seems to be more in the "spectrum of anti-social behavior or sociopathy" (not psychopathy), humans gone wrong so to speak.. This are my impressions. Here is the citation abstract (I don't have access to older articles, if you do and download the article, you can send it to me :)):

Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry:
March 1997 - Volume 36 - Issue 3 - pp 307-315

Subtypes of Aggression and Their Relevance to Child Psychiatry

Vitiello, Benedetto MD; Stoff, David M. PhD

Abstract

Objective: To review the evidence for qualitatively distinct subtypes of human aggression as they relate to childhood psychopathology.

Method: Critical review of the pertinent literature.

Results: In humans, as well as in animals, the term aggression encompasses a variety of behaviors that are heterogeneous for clinical phenomenology and neurobiological features. No simple extrapolation of animal subtypes to humans is possible, mainly because of the impact of complex cultural variables on behavior. On the whole, research into subtypes of human aggression has been rather limited. A significant part of it has been conducted in children. Clinical observation, experimental paradigms in the laboratory, and cluster/factor-analytic statistics have all been used in an attempt to subdivide aggression. A consistent dichotomy can be identified between an impulsive-reactive-hostile-affective subtype and a controlled-proactive-instrumental-predatory subtype. Although good internal consistency and partial descriptive validity have been shown, these constructs still need full external validation, especially regarding their predicting power of comorbidity, treatment response, and long-term prognosis.

Conclusions: Our understanding and treatment of children and adolescents with aggressive behavior can benefit from research on subtypes of aggression. The differentiation between the impulsive-affective and controlled-predatory subtype as qualitatively different forms of aggressive behavior has emerged as the most promising construct. Specific therapeutic hypotheses could be tested in this context and contribute to a full validation of these concepts. J. Am. Acad. Child Adolesc. Psychiatry, 1997, 36(3):307-315.

Interesting indeed.

Checking another article related to the MAOA-L and instrumental vs impulsive aggression, I found the following:

Our findings specifically implicate MAOA in genetic risk for the impulsive/reactive dimension of aggression that is more common in antisocial behavior and intermittent-explosive disorder, rather than the instrumental or goal-directed style often linked to psychopathy [74]. Instrumental aggression has been linked to diminished amygdala response and reduced orbitofrontal volume [75],a pattern opposite to that evinced by MAOA-L men. Although the distinction between reactive and instrumental aggression might not necessarily be clear cut in all (or even the majority of) violent offenders, our data argue for a genetic dissociation between the two.[MAOA and the neurogenetic
architecture of human aggression. Joshua W.Buckholtz and Andreas Meyer-Lindenberg]

Citation 75 is for James Blair BTW, I'll check it out later.

Biomast said:
One interesting thing about male-female difference is: Apart from the fact that there is two X chromosomes in females and can compensate MAOA-L variant in certain cases, this is what they say, and I found it interesting:

Of note, estrogens affect transcription of MAOA in brain, and sex hormone receptors are prominently expressed in amygdala, cingulate, and OFC.

I think something that MAOA-L hypothesis doesn't explain is the fact that psychopaths enjoy inflicting pain onto others, and they don't feel negative about their or others' emotions. They derive pleasure from negative emotions. So my humble hypothesis is that, their amygdala is somehow wired to pleasure pathways and when amygdala is activated, OFC and cingulate can't regulate it because of MAOA-L, but that doesn't cause lack of fear extinction, rather it causes lack of control and a sense of pleasure when they inflict pain onto others.

I don't know if somebody stated this elsewhere, I didn't go through the literature deeply, but that is what I think for now. What do you think, is it something to follow, or is it a dead end?

Interesting hypothesis, I say we keep our eyes and minds open for data, to see what comes out. If we network, we can start to see patterns and distinctions arising in the literature related to the garden variety of pathologicals.

I understand about not going deeply through the literature. There is so much stuff that sometimes it feels like you're doing several thesis at a time. But if we get curious about something and network it will make it easier to go through some of the papers and to find interesting stuff, IMO.

What is interesting in Hancock's book is the relationship he draws between the "shamanic" experience and alien abductions. Yeah, he's right. As I said, I wrote about this in my article on "Aliens, Demons, Vampires". The paranormal connection is unmistakable. But, does that mean that any of these are the "ancient teachers of mankind" as Hancock suggests?

Well, no, as a matter of fact. As we have already noted, there are two (at least) distinct types of experiences: the NDE and the alien abduction. Some researchers have tried to conflate the two, but that's really stretching it. There are distinctive differences. But even here, we are only talking about a chemical reaction. There's a more important consideration that I wrote about in Secret History.

With that idea, we come to some very interesting relationships that will go very far in providing clues to us in terms of asking some of the most interesting questions of all relating to our idea of the rites and myths of ancient man being the disjecta membra of a vanished civilization. Mircea Eliade writes:

Recent researches have clearly brought out the “shamanic” elements in the religion of the Paleolithic hunters. Horst Kierchner has interpreted the celebrated relief at Lascaux as a representation of a shamanic trance.[…]
Finally, Karl J. Narr has reconsidered the problem of the “origin” and chronology of shamanism in his important study. He brings out the influence of notions of fertility (Venus statuettes) on the religious beliefs of the prehistoric North Asian hunters; but this influence did not disrupt the Paleolithic tradition.[…] it is in this “Vorstellungswelt” that the roots of the bear ceremonialism of Asia and North America lie. Soon afterward, probably about 25,000 BC, Europe offers evidence for the earliest forms of shamanism (Lascaux) with the plastic representations of the bird, the tutelary spirit, and ecstasy. […]

What appears to be certain is the antiquity of “shamanic” rituals and symbols. It remains to be determined whether these documents brought to light by prehistoric discoveries represent the first expressions of a shamanism in statu nascendi or are merely the earliest documents today available for an earlier religious complex, which, however, did not find “plastic” manifestations (drawings, ritual objects, etc) before the period of Lascaux.

In accounting for the formation of the shamanic complex in Central and North Asia, we must keep in mind the two essential elements of the problem: on the one hand, the ecstatic experience as such, as a primary phenomenon; on the other, the historic-religious milieu into which this ecstatic experience was destined to be incorporated and the ideology that, in the last analysis, was to validate it. […]

Everywhere in those lands, and from the earliest times, we find documents for the existence of a Supreme Being of celestial structure, who also corresponds morphologically to all the other Supreme Beings of the archaic religions. The symbolism of ascent, with all the rites and myths dependent on it, must be connected with celestial Supreme Beings; […] This symbolism of ascent and “height” retains its value even after the “withdrawal” of the celestial Supreme Being — for, as is well known, Supreme Beings gradually lose their active place in the cult, giving way to religious forms that are more “dynamic” and “familiar” (the gods of storm and fertility, demiurges, the souls of the dead, the Great Goddesses, etc.) […]

The reduction or even the total loss in religious currency of Uranian Supreme Beings is sometimes indicated in myths concerning a primordial and paradisal time when communications between heaven and earth were easy and accessible to everyone; as the result of some happening, these communications were broken off and the Supreme Beings withdrew to the highest sky.[…]

The disappearance of the cult of the celestial Supreme Being did not nullify the symbolism of ascent with all its implication. […]

The shamanic ecstasy could be considered a reactualization of the mythical illud tempus when men could communicate in concreto with the sky.

It is indubitable that the celestial ascent of the shaman is a survival, profoundly modified and sometimes degenerate, of this archaic religious ideology centered on faith in a celestial Supreme Being and belief in concrete communications between heaven and earth. […]

The myths refer to more intimate relations between the Supreme Beings and shamans; in particular, they tell of a First Shaman, sent to earth by the Supreme Being or his surrogate to defend human beings against diseases and evil spirits.

It was in the context of the “withdrawal” of the “Celestial Being” that the meaning of the shaman’s ecstatic experience changed. Formerly, the activity was focused on communing with the god and obtaining benefits for the tribe. The shift of the function of the shaman associated with the withdrawal of the benevolent god/goddess was to “battling with evil spirits and disease”. This is a sharp reminder of the work of Jesus, healing the sick and casting out demons - the shamanic exemplar “after the Fall”.

There was, it seems, another consequence of this “shift”. Increasingly, the descents into the “underworld” and the relations with “spirits” led to their “embodiment” or in the shaman’s being “possessed” by “spirits”. What is clear is that these were innovations, most of them recent.
What is particularly striking in the research of the historiographers of myth, legend, shamanism, etc, is the discovery of the “influences from the south, which appeared quite early and which altered both cosmology and the mythology and techniques of ecstasy”. Among these southern influences were the contribution of Buddhism and Lamaism, added to the Iranian and, in the last analysis, Mesopotamian influences that preceded them. Eliade writes:

The initiatory schema of the shaman’s ritual death and resurrection is likewise an innovation, but one that goes back to much earlier times; in any case, it cannot be ascribed to influences from the ancient Near East. But the innovations introduced by the ancestor cult particularly affected the structure of this initiatory schema. The very concept of mystical death was altered by the many and various religious changes effected by lunar mythologies, the cult of the dead, and the elaboration of magical ideologies.

Hence we must conceive of Asiatic shamanism as an archaic technique of ecstasy whose original underlying ideology — belief in a celestial Supreme Being with whom it was possible to have direct relations by ascending into the sky — was constantly being transformed by an ongoing series of exotic contributions culminating in the invasion of Buddhism. […]

The phenomenology of the trance underwent many changes and corruptions, due in large part to confusion as to the precise nature of ecstasy. Yet all these innovations and corruptions did not succeed in eliminating the possibility of the true shamanic ecstasy.

More than once we have discerned in the shamanic experience a “nostalgia for paradise” that suggests one of the oldest types of Christian mystical experience. As for the “inner light”, which plays a part of the first importance in Indian mysticism and metaphysics as well as in Christian mystical theology, it is already documented in shamanism.

What seems to be most important about Central Asian shamanism in the history of mysticism is the role the shaman plays in the defense of the psychic integrity of the community. Shamans are pre-eminently the anti-demonic champions; they combat not only demons and disease, but also the black magicians. The shaman is the tireless slayer of demons and dragons. And here we find explication of the “military” elements of the Grail Ensemble. The Sword in the Stone that can only be withdrawn by the “Heir”, or the “Desired Knight”, was represented in the Steppe shamanic regalia as lance, cuirass, bow, sword, etc. These are accounted for in our study by virtue of the requirements of war against the demons, the true enemies of humanity. As Eliade points out, the shaman defends life, health, fertility, the world of “light”, against death, diseases, sterility, disaster, and the world of “darkness”. In short, the Shaman is a very early “type” of the Knight on the Quest for the Holy Grail - the Shamanic ascent to the Celestial Spheres.

We see that what is fundamental and universal to the shaman, to the heroes of myth, to the Quest for the Holy Grail, is the shaman’s struggle against what we could call “the powers of evil”.
The knight/shaman’s essential role in the defense of the psychic integrity of the community depends above all on this: men are sure that one of them is able to help them in the critical circumstances produced by the inhabitants of the invisible world. Here we come to a crucial characteristic of the knight/shaman: he must be able to SEE what is hidden and invisible to the rest and to bring back direct and reliable information from the supernatural worlds. In short, in the accounts of shamanic ecstasies, we find correspondence to the themes of the great epics in oral literature. The knight/shaman’s adventures in the other world, the ordeals and tests that he undergoes in his ecstatic descents below and ascents to the sky, describe in every detail the adventures of the figures in popular tales and the heroes of epic myths. This suggests that many epic “subjects” or motifs, as well as many characters, images, and clichés of these tales, are of ecstatic, or even other-worldly origin in the sense of interactions with hyper-dimensional realities.

{...}

Certain ancient myths tell us that a battle takes place either between two brothers, or between father and son. The battle ends when the elder king is “wounded in the thigh”, or ritually castrated to symbolize his loss of potency. The kingdom, represented by the queen, is then given over to the winning brother, or from father to son because the queen symbolizes the land. It is interesting that this drama was enacted between Jacob, and an “angel of Yahweh”, playing the role of Set. In this way, the people understood that the kingship had been handed to Yahweh personally because he “Tabernacled with Jacob” playing the role of the goddess. Yahweh, the Boar god.

We need to understand here that these ritual combats, dying kings, cannibalistic and sacrificial activities are only the extreme corruptions of an original, core idea that can be seen to represent an ancient technology. Indeed, the technology aspect emerges from time to time, but is often so disguised that it is difficult to sort out the many twists and turns in the threads of transmission. Among the most archaic representations of these ideas - even though we can consider it to still be a corruption of the truly ancient knowledge - are the rites of the Shamans of central Asia.

When we look to the function of the shaman, we discover: the shaman either descends to the underworld to save man, or he ascends to the heavens to intercede with the gods on behalf of his people. He is, in effect, the divinely chosen “knight” who has the “right stuff” to be able to make this journey. The symbolism of the stairs on which the shaman ascends and descends are typically shamanic. The “Tree of Life”, the symbol of the birth goddess, is a symbol of the shamanic ascent to the celestial spheres to receive the communication from god concerning the fate of the tribe. In this sense, the cosmic axis and the heavenly book have become joined in terms of symbolism. One can clearly see these elements in the story of Jacob’s ladder and his wrestling with the “angel”. Unfortunately, Jacob lost the match.

What is most fascinating in terms of shamanic studies is a mysterious “female sickness” that male shamans often suffered. One of the reported (and variable) symptoms of becoming a shaman is that the individual begins to dress as a woman, to act as a woman, and to generally begin a process of feminization. We see a hint of this factor in Jacob’s journey south to “build booths” which was a strictly female activity!

This feminization of the shaman directs us to consider the fact that the original shamanic/grail function was most likely fulfilled by women only, and at some point, men attempted to dispense with the function of the female and to acquire her attributes and natural shamanic capabilities.

{...}

The clues to these transitions are held in the very words themselves: knight and mare. Knight is derived from the same root as yogi, or juga, which means “to join together”, and the word “mare” for “mer” or Sea of the mother is obvious. In order to get us a bit closer to some idea of how the transitions occur, Eliade remarks on the shamanic role in funerary rites, which have been described and observed. It is thought that these sorts of rites are very similar to the “secret rites” or functions that are hidden by vows of secrecy.

Herodotus has left us a good description of the funerary customs of the Scythians. The funeral was followed by purifications. Hemp was thrown on heated stones and all inhaled the smoke; “the Scythians howl in joy for the vapour-bath.” […] The howls compose a specific religious ensemble, the purpose of which could only be ecstasy. In this connection Meuli cites the Altaic séance described by Radlov, in which the shaman guided to the underworld the soul of a woman who had been dead forty days. The shaman-psychopomp is not found in Herodotus’ description; he speaks only of the purifications following a funeral. But among a number of Turko-Tatar peoples such purifications coincide with the shaman’s escorting the deceased to his new home, the nether regions.[…]

The use of hemp for ecstatic purposes is also attested among the Iranians, and it is the Iranian word for hemp that is employed to designate mystical intoxication in Central and North Asia.

It is known that the Caucasian peoples, and especially the Osset, have preserved a number of the mythological and religious traditions of the Scythians.

Now, the conceptions of the afterlife held by certain Caucasian peoples are close to those of the Iranians, particularly in regard to the deceased crossing a bridge as narrow as a hair, the myth of a Cosmic Tree whose top touches the sky and at whose root there is a miraculous spring, and so on. Then, too, diviners, seers, and necromancer-psychopomps play a certain role among the mountain Georgian tribes. The most important of these sorcerers are the messulethe; their ranks are filled for the most part from among the women and girls. Their chief office is to escort the dead to the other world, but they can also incarnate them. […] The messulethe performs her task by falling into trance.

At this point, allow me to interject the comment that we see a curious parallel to the fact that the Themosphoria was celebrated “only by women”. In other words, it was very likely an archaic custom of what has been called “sacred prostitution” but the sacred prostitution was clearly derived from archaic techniques of ecstasy which we have surmised were actually disjecta membra of an ancient technology that effectively modified DNA. Over millennia of transmission, the terminology describing this DNA factor was corrupted to refer to sexual elements. We shall also later see that what was once a “spiritual idea” was given a literal, physical meaning. The role and participation of women is indeed important, but not at all the way many occultists have interpreted it.

What is clear is that the very ancient idea of women as priestesses, or as so-called “temple prostitutes”, was merely derived from the fact of the natural role of the woman as true shaman. When women were extirpated from their role as natural psychopomp for their tribes, a host of other items had to be invented to take their place: trees, bridges (which is a word strikingly similar to “bride” and “bridle” as is used for a horse!), ladders, stairs, drums, rattles, chants, dances, and so on; and most especially ritual combat instead of unification.

We have observed the striking resemblance between the other world ideas of the Caucasians and of the Iranians. For one thing, the Cinvat bridge plays an essential role in Iranian funerary mythology; crossing it largely determines the destiny of the soul; and the crossing is a difficult ordeal, equivalent in structure, to initiatory ordeals. […]

The Cinvat bridge is at the “Center”, at the “middle of the world” and “the height of a hundred men”. […] The bridge connects earth and heaven at the “Center”. Under the Cinvat bridge is the pit of hell.

Here we find a “classic” cosmological schema of the three cosmic regions connected by a central axis (pillar, tree, bridge, etc.) The shamans travel freely among the three zones; the dead must cross a bridge on their journey to the beyond. […] The important feature of the Iranian tradition is (at least as it survived after Zarathustra’s reform) is that, at the crossing of the bridge, there is a sort of struggle between the demons, who try to cast the soul down to hell, and the tutelary spirits who resist them.

The Gathas make three references to this crossing of the Cinvat bridge. In the first two passages Zarathustra, according to H.S. Nyberg’s interpretation, refers to himself as a psychopomp. Those who have been united to him in ecstasy will cross the bridge with ease. […]

The bridge, then, is not only the way for the dead; it is the road of ecstatics. […] The Gathic term maga is proof that Zarathustra and his disciples induced an ecstatic experience by ritual songs intoned in chorus in a closed, consecrated space. In this sacred space (maga) communication between heaven and earth became possible. […] The sacred space became a “Center”.[…]

Shamanic ecstasy induced by hemp smoke was known in ancient Iran. […] In the Videvdat hemp is demonized. This seems to us to prove complete hostility to shamanic intoxication. […] The imagery of the Central Asian shamans would seem to have undergone the influence of Oriental, and principally Iranian, ideas. But this does not mean that the shamanic descent to the underworld derives from an exotic influence. The Oriental contribution only amplified and added color to the dramatic scenarios of punishments; it was the narratives of ecstatic journeys to the underworld that were enriched under Oriental influences; the ecstasy long preceded them. [….]

We … have found the technique of ecstasy in archaic cultures where it is impossible to suspect any influence from the ancient East. […]

The magico-religious value of intoxication for achieving ecstasy is of Iranian origin.
[…]

Concerning the original shamanic experience … narcotics are only a vulgar substitute for “pure” trance.
The use of intoxicants is a recent innovation and points to a decadence in shamanic technique. Narcotic intoxication is called on to provide an imitation of a state that the shaman is no longer capable of attaining otherwise. Decadence or vulgarization of a mystical technique - in ancient and modern India, and indeed all through the East, we constantly find this strange mixture of “difficult ways” and “easy ways” of realizing mystical ecstasy or some other decisive experience.

{...}

Over and over again we have seen our tracks of the Grail/Ark lead us to Russia, to Central Asia, to the Scythians, the Tribe of Dan. It is interesting to note at this point a prophecy of Edgar Cayce about Russia and China. In 1944, he prophesied that China would one day be, “the cradle of Christianity as applied in the lives of men”. “Through Russia”, he said “comes the hope of the world. Not in respect to what is sometimes termed Communism or Bolshevism - no! But freedom - freedom! That each man will live for his fellow man. The principle has been born there. It will take years for it to be crystallized; yet out of Russia comes again the hope of the world.” In reference to this, and the many other “Russian references”, Geoffrey Ashe writes in The Ancient Wisdom:

From Greece to the Indus Valley, we find people holding Ursa Major in reverence almost as far back as we can document… In various ways they introduce the Bear into beliefs that connect the centers Above and Below. […] We have enough to reconstruct a common myth that might underlie all primary versions of the seven-mystique […] from which the rest follow.

In the far north there is a high and paradisal place, peopled by an assembly of beings of superhuman longevity and wisdom. They have associates and contacts at lower levels. […]

iblical editing never quite censored out the northern mountain and Zion’s mystical identity with it. […] The prophet’s imagery is baffling, and rabbis in later ages claimed that it concealed a great secret, an occult wisdom. Only the wisest and holiest could expound the Work of the Chariot. Robert Graves has maintained that the God of the Chariot actually is Apollo.[…]

Is there reason to believe that the northern Something was literally there […] that a cosmic system was actually taught by the Rishis on a real Meru, and carried south and west along several routes? […] The inquiry has […] led to what no one ever identified before - an arguable locale, to which the search can be narrowed down.

[W]e are justified in reverting to Guthrie’s theory of Apollo. If this god was brought to Asia Minor and thence to Greece from a Siberian birthplace, a real Land of the Hyperboreans, then he implies a northern Something which actually was there: a center of an influential species of shamanism, with Hyperborean Apollo as one of its gods. […] If Apollo did make this journey from Siberia, the bear-goddess Artemis was probably paired with him at an early stage.

The story of Apollo and his twin sister Artemis is interesting and connects us back to Orion. Some sources say that Artemis fell in love with Orion and was going to give up her avowed virginity to marry him. Apollo, her brother, did not approve and tricked Artemis into shooting Orion who was swimming in the sea. In her grief, Artemis placed Orion in the sky to honor him.

Other sources say that Orion had raped one of Artemis’ female followers, and so Artemis killed him as punishment. She sent a scorpion after him, which stung him and poisoned him. When Orion and the scorpion were placed among the stars, they were given places opposite each other, so that Orion would be out of danger. When Scorpius is just rising, chasing after Orion, the hunter is just starting to disappear behind the western horizon.

The veneration of the bear is so ancient that we even find it in the French cave remains of almost unspeakable antiquity. The symbolism is deep here. A bear is supposedly born as a tiny shapeless lump and “licked into shape”. His winter sleep symbolizes death-and-rebirth - or, more significantly, “survival in an Ark”. The bear stands on his legs and is an omnivore, like humans.

The point is that the bear, Arca, Arthur, takes us back to his origins in Northern and Western Europe and Siberia. The Siberian shamans tell that in former ages all men had access to the gods, whereas now, only shamans have it and that Shamanism itself has been degraded. Shamanism presents itself as the remnant of an Ancient Wisdom teaching which once flourished across the Northern Hemisphere. The main feature of the Shaman’s universe is the cosmic center, an axis connecting earth with both heaven and hell. It is often represented as a tree, a ladder, or a pole. The shaman can utilize this tree to travel upward to commune with the gods, or downward to battle demons. Numbers are important: there are a fixed number of steps, or celestial stages. The cosmic tree can also be represented as a mountain with seven stories. The mountain is made of gold and the name “Altai” itself actually means “gold”. We note that the Scythians were famous goldsmiths. What is more, even the most untrained eye can see that the art of the Scythians is identical to the art of the French caves and the art of the Celts of Europe.

It is clear that shamanism, as it is known, has declined from its original unified and coherent system. One reason for thinking so is that, while there are many local terms for a male shaman, there is only one for a female shaman. Shamanism, it seems, was formerly a woman’s activity. In one Tartar dialect, utygan, the word for a woman-shaman, also means “bear”.

There is a place called Mal’ta, fifty-five miles north-west of Irkutsk, in country where the remnants of Altaic shamanism are still active. Carvings have been discovered there which include an oblong panel of mammoth ivory with designs on it. The dominant design is a spiral of dots which goes around seven times, and winds into or out of a central hole - a spiral maze. This is the oldest known heptad in the world - almost 30,000 years old.

There are claims that the Ancient Wisdom survives in Central Asia to this very day. We cannot confirm that. The only thing we do know is that out of Russia came the work of Georges Gurdjieff mainly through the efforts of another Russian, P. D. Ouspensky. The Third Man, Boris Mouravieff, has expounded on the Fourth Way material of Gurdjieff in significant ways that relate directly to the Grail Issue. Gurdjieff and Mouravieff have called this Tradition, “Esoteric Christianity, suggesting that it was the true teachings of the man we know as Jesus”. But we now suspect that what was originally taught by an obscure man in the area of the Middle East over 2000 years ago was a revival of a far more ancient Tradition - a Tradition that extends back into the mists of pre-history to a time when man interacted with his environment in an altogether different way - a Way that seems magical and mysterious to us in our present state of reduced capacities.

Any of you who have read Hancock's book can see from the above that he was cherry-picking his quotes and ideas.

Psyche said:
You mean why Lobaczewski thought that a gene closes the case of psychopathy, making them more impulsive? More "predatory"?

No I didn't mean that Lobaczewski closes the case, though after reading my response, it does sound like that, my apologies. :-[

What I meant is, when there is MAOA-L variant, the person becomes more impulsive, and this makes them easy to detect for others. Probably those people are who commit a crime, stay in the prison for years and when they get out, they do it again. The type that has been mentioned in Mask of Sanity. On the other hand, if a psychopath has control over his/her impulsivity, this makes them harder to detect and in the end, those are the people who don't get caught, who climb to the top by working behind the scenes. It is nearly impossible to spot them. My point about Lobaczewski was that, he, and rest of us, probably saw and detect the more impulsive ones, but there can be different genes that cause this violent behaviour and at the same time, making the psychopath less impulsive, making it harder to detect.

I checked the citation for instrumental vs impulsive aggression. It seems that instrumental aggression (present in the psychopath) is a "predatory nature", which makes them "non-human". This instrumental aggression is what may well make the psychopath seek the suffering of others as a goal, as if they take pleasure from it. The authors in the citation actually mention the word predatory, a controlled-proactive-instrumental-predatory subtype. Impulsive aggression seems to be more in the "spectrum of anti-social behavior or sociopathy" (not psychopathy), humans gone wrong so to speak..

I guess that depends from one psychopath to another. Some of them can be impulsive while others(successful psychopaths) are really "controlled-proactive-instrumental-predatory" as you put it. What you make is an interesting distinction. I tend to agree that MAOA-L makes a person more prone to being a sociopath. On the other hand, the question that what is the role of this variant in psychopaths remains unclear. I will check for other genes which cause OFC and cingulate volume reductions, and I will try to find data about my hypothesis. On the other hand, this part caught my eye:

Instrumental aggression has been linked to diminished amygdala response and reduced orbitofrontal volume

So either there is another gene that limits amygdala response, or there are genes other than MAOA that does both OFC and amygdala reduction. I will try to access that article.

But if we get curious about something and network it will make it easier to go through some of the papers and to find interesting stuff, IMO.

I feel the same, I didn't think it would be so much fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom