Putin giving away free land in the Far East?

_http://sputniknews.com/russia/20160502/1038962603/far-east-free-land.html

The Russian President has signed a law on Monday offering land plots of 1 hectare (2.5 acres) in the country’s Far East to citizens - for free.

MOSCOW (Sputnik) — The document, dubbed the "Russian Homestead Act" in the local media, was published on the government’s legal information website and will be enacted in several phases starting in June 2016.

​Parcels of land will be up for grabs in the regions of Yakutia, Kamchatka, Primorye, Khabarovsk, Amur, Magadan, Sakhalin, as well as in the Jewish and Chukotka autonomous regions.

​Far East residents will be the first in line, with citizens from other Russian regions eligible to claim free land starting from February 2017.

​Land will be given for five years to anyone who is willing to work it or start any sort of business there.

​The deal will be converted to a lease or ownership rights after the initial period is over – or voided if the land has not been used.

I checked the project and this idea and my impressions have divided on positive at first and then some sceptical. The main thing is: huge investments. There's remark that these hectares won't lay near any infrastructure: roads, electricity, water, gas, etc. I.e. it will be literally virgin lands rising. Besides some geological and climatic aspects, which I didn't dive into yet, I thought of government dotations for some progress. Anyway it will be need good amounts of money which I doubt could be given to people without some "background" and with just a business plan and positive vibe. It's not a secret that here is some crisis aspects in Russia now. On the other hand, Asian-Peacific region's development is the main goal of the Russia government (from further dramatic earth changes perspective?) and I think the aids for profitable and perspective projects could be given in heaped measure.

Then I thought that implementing of the task would be more realistic in communal conditions (for example several participants's lots located near each other (cooperative for dacha construction as example). It's easy to understand in terms of gov's aid for some infrastructure at least. Who knows, may be after 1-2 years ministers will evaluate different participants for their engaing and further decision for dotations.

As for my goals I really like the idea of such living style, especially in a health community. Also it might be very good opportunity for others to join there when SHTF. Such conditions also assume using of alternative sources of energy and different innovations in the area. Of course some agriculture (depends on lot's fertility and climate) good point.

Also interesting point that family can count of several hectares being given. But nevertheless it's needed huge efforts and a lot of researching to begin. That's not a problem to get one as project will start 1 June at all, but I don't want it will be rocks or sand :)

Putin offering disillusioned Britons FREE LAND to resettle in Russia,link:
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/668073/Vladimir-Putin-offers-disillusioned-British-citizens-free-land-in-Russia

s-kur said:
...these hectares won't lay near any infrastructure: roads, electricity, water, gas, etc. I.e. it will be literally virgin lands rising.

That sounds like music to my ears. In the years of dealing with various construction projects there isn’t a single aspect of human habitation that cannot be improved upon greatly. I like the idea of going to the drawing board and rethinking of more symbiotic and efficient ways of co-existing with the environment.

I do agree that this undertaking has much more chance of success with a group effort than an individual effort.

I’m a little confused though, is the program for Russian citizens only or can foreigners participate?

Nima said:
I’m a little confused though, is the program for Russian citizens only or can foreigners participate?

The program is intended for Russian citizens, Nima. Here is the website of this program, it's in Russian though: _https://xn--80aaggvgieoeoa2bo7l.xn--p1ai/

Thanks Siberia. This is just an amazing opportunity. Looks like I have to look up some old Russian friends of mine. ;)

https://www.rt.com/uk/342926-russia-free-land-poll/

A poll by the Express newspaper found a majority of Brits want to emigrate to Russia after President Vladimir Putin offered free land to people willing to settle the country’s sparsely-populated Far East region.

The British tabloid survey found 78 percent of the more than 22,000 respondents replied “Yes! Bargain” when asked: “Would you move to Russia in exchange for free land?”

One respondent told the paper there was something romantic about the idea of homesteading in the Russian wilderness.

“As soon as I read about it, my wife and I discussed it,” Simon Sharp said.
[...]
The current proposition is to offer about 2.5 acres of land to Russians and foreigners who want to build homes or start business in agriculture or tourism in the Far East.

However, foreigners will only be allowed to use the land. Full property rights can only be attained if the homesteaders naturalize as Russian citizens.

Russia’s Communist Party is now seeking to expand the proposed scheme to much larger territories in Siberia.

Siberia said:
Nima said:

The program is intended for Russian citizens, Nima. Here is the website of this program, it's in Russian though: _https://xn--80aaggvgieoeoa2bo7l.xn--p1ai/

According to the article Laura posted from RT, it is open to foreigners, but they can only work the land, to own it they must become naturalized Russian citizens.

Joe said:
Siberia said:
Nima said:

According to the article Laura posted from RT, it is open to foreigners, but they can only work the land, to own it they must become naturalized Russian citizens.

Hmm, this is interesting, because the website which I referred to above says the following:

2z3xtf8.jpg

Rough translation:

Who can receive land:

- Any citizen of the Russian Federation.

- Any member of the Repatriation Program who lives abroad and members of their families who relocate to the Russian Federation together.

Several citizens, whether relatives or not, can unite and receive a single plot of land for their mutual purposes.

! No foreign citizens, foreign legal entities or stateless persons shall be subject to this Federal Law.

Perhaps I misinterpreted this info? :huh:

Joe said:

If it would be so, it would kind of solve the problem, because one can become a naturalized citizen within 5 years.

Naturalization is usually granted if the applicant meets the following requirements:

has been a permanent resident of Russia for not less than five years
promises lawful behaviour
has a legal source of income
speaks Russian

But I do wonder about the validity of this claim, because I distinctly remember the head of the program saying on TV to Putin, that foreigners won't be able to participate, or buy the land even after 5 years has passed. Notice that RT article is based on Express article, which is a British tabloid. They don't talk about anything official. So there is a need to look into what is written in actual legal papers.

I found the original and full legal document that talks about the program. There they explicitly mention that no contract or agreement can be done between Russian citizen and a foreigner for the purpose of buying and using the land. Foreigners also can't get the land from the Russian government for any purpose and use it.

And isn't "working the land" is the same as "using it"? Unless, of course, a Russian citizen will be able to employ foreigners, who will get legal justification for staying in the country and with time will become naturalized citizens. But this falls under the same laws and bureaucracy as in case of other foreigners that want to immigrate to Russia. Unless, of course, they get a special dispensation.

Ok, I think I can see the reason for confusion.

For example, there is the following sentence written by one of the Russian sources:

Получить землю может любой гражданин России, а также переезжающие в Россию иностранцы, участвующие в программе «Добровольное переселение соотечественников», поясняется в законе.

Translation
Any Russian citizen can receive the land. And also foreigners who immigrate to Russia as part of the Repatriation Program.

It's possible that Express saw the word "foreigners" and just ran with it. While in reality it isn't any foreigner, but only those who have Russian ancestry or were born in what is now Russia, or lived in USSR territory, etc.

But to be honest, there are so many inaccuracies in Express article, I think that they just invented it. Personally, I would love for this possibility to exist for many non-Russian people, who want to run away from the Western fascism. But I think that this law was so explicit against foreigners getting even near this land, because they don't want the replay of the 90's. :(

Having said that, I think that perhaps it is still possible if it will be done in conjunction with Russian citizens, and also if there will be a solid and good business plan that will clearly show benefit for Russia.

Keit said:
I found the original and full legal document that talks about the program. There they explicitly mention that no contract or agreement can be done between Russian citizen and a foreigner for the purpose of buying and using the land. Foreigners also can't get the land from the Russian government for any purpose and use it.

Yep, that's the Federal Law and my understanding of it is the same as yours.

Besides, I can't find any Russian source which would explicitly say otherwise. Also, both the Russian Newspaper and RIA Novosti say the same: no foreigners. Russian Newspaper is an official governmental portal, and all federal laws are considered adopted and in full force after they are published there. And RIA Novosti is the largest Russian news agency. So the sources are trustworthy.

Keit said:
[...]But I think that this law was so explicit against foreigners getting even near this land, because they don't want the replay of the 90's. :(
[...]

And that for very good reasons, as history has shown repeatedly. I think Putins government is doing exactly the right thing there, by not allowing just any foreigner to get the land.

I think such restrictions regarding foreign people don't exclude the possibilities for them to get there with any possible way either being invited or hired or something else.

By the way, I read an interview where developer of this project answered on Putin's question about some infrastructure. He said that consolidated group (20 lots minimum) will be provided with basic infrastructure, he didn't specified, though.

As a result of the topsy-turvy apartheid in South Africa, this is the latest development. And smart move by Russia again:

Russia Welcomes Afrikaners: 15000 Boers Plan To Move To Russia From South Africa

Back
Top Bottom