Was there anyone in Russia?

Nerby

A Disturbance in the Force
Hi people!

What are your general impressions of the country? Like it or not? How is the World Cup if you were on it? Is it worth visiting this country? Thx.

Reactions: Ca.
Hi Nerby,

Though I've never been, from what I've read from Russian members on this forum, other members who've visited the country and based on articles I've read on SOTT.net (this article comes to mind), I'd love to visit.

Since this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet. In that section, you'll find posts from other members to get an idea.

Welcome :-)

As the Biblical quote goes, "by their fruits you shall know them". Looking at the geopolitical events Russia has been involved in over the past couple of years, the fruits of their labour make them an exceptionally positive force on the global scene.

Although we are not into identity politics here, I think it's fairly accurate to say we can be labelled as 'Team Putin' ;-) Putin doing stuff

Nerby,

I live in Russia. In Moscow. You could ask specific practical questions.
How different is the life of Moscow from the rest of Russia? Is it true that the rest of Russia lives much worse than Moscow? What can usually be seen in Moscow in terms of tourism?

Hi Nerby,

Though I've never been, from what I've read from Russian members on this forum, other members who've visited the country and based on articles I've read on SOTT.net (this article comes to mind), I'd love to visit.

Since this is your first post on the forum, we would appreciate it if you would post a brief intro about yourself in the Newbies section, telling us how you found this forum, how long you've been reading it and/or the SOTT page, whether or not you've read any of Laura's books yet. In that section, you'll find posts from other members to get an idea.

Welcome :-)
Thank you, I will do so.
As the Biblical quote goes, "by their fruits you shall know them". Looking at the geopolitical events Russia has been involved in over the past couple of years, the fruits of their labour make them an exceptionally positive force on the global scene.

Although we are not into identity politics here, I think it's fairly accurate to say we can be labelled as 'Team Putin' ;-) Putin doing stuff
I agree with you

How different is the life of Moscow from the rest of Russia? Is it true that the rest of Russia lives much worse than Moscow? What can usually be seen in Moscow in terms of tourism?
It is different, people go live and work in Moscow primarily for $$$. Russia is different, and Far East, Siberia, Urals, Altai, Carelia, South Regions, etc. all have their peculiarities and cultural differences.

In terms of $$$ it is true that outside of "economically active" cities life in Russia is "worse" (and cheaper). In terms of "union with Nature", it is better, farther you are away from these cities.

In Moscow you can primarily see the Kremlin, some Cathedrals, and Metro - underground subway system that has some old stations that could be of interest. Moscow State University and surrounding area, probably. Some "modern architecture" in Moscow-City business center which is aplenty in the West countries. It is all boring though. You can find lots of guides and photos online.

St. Petersburg is more rich in terms of architecture and is not as diverse as Moscow.

Advice: better not to travel outside of Moscow and St. Petersburg without having local currency. Exchange in airport upon arrival. ATMs in rural areas could be absent, or reject your card, or do not have enough cash, or have substantial withdrawal fee. Also English in rural areas wouldn't be sufficient to converse with locals. Not be too trusting to strangers offering "services" at airports, train hubs, and other such public places.

If you are going to visit soon, you could contact me privately via Skype or similar for some advises. There are others living in Russia on the Forum who could guide and even host you if you decide to come for a visit.

Tell me about the income tax in Russia. (I read somewhere that it is a straight 11% for everyone.)
SevenFeathers
It is 13% income tax for citizens as payed by businesses for their employees. Businesses who do not involve themselves in "shady schemes" that is. Individual businesses also have 13% income tax, if I'm not mistaken. And there is simplified tax plan 6% for some small individual businesses (limited activities).

SevenFeathers
It is 13% income tax for citizens as payed by businesses for their employees. Businesses who do not involve themselves in "shady schemes" that is. Individual businesses also have 13% income tax, if I'm not mistaken. And there is simplified tax plan 6% for some small individual businesses (limited activities).

Interesting. So if I work and get paid by a legitimate business, the employer withholds 13% tax? No yearly form "required" to be filed by the individual such as in the US?

Interesting. So if I work and get paid by a legitimate business, the employer withholds 13% tax? No yearly form "required" to be filed by the individual such as in the US?
Tax is usually withheld by business monthly automatically, i.e. you get paid with tax already subtracted. Individual businesses (including 6% scheme) have their yearly (and in some cases quarterly) tax obligations.

Очень "интересное" название темы! Это мягко говоря! Вы, дружище Nerby, спрашиваете как про Марс и марсиан. Напрашивается встречный вопрос: когда вы там в ваших Алабамах, как у нас говорят, глаза разуете?:huh:
На вопрос вынесенный в название темы, я как коренной "марсианин", скажу вам, что не только кто-то тут был, нас тут живет больше 100 миллионов душ. И, кстати, на этом форуме нас несколько представителей этой "секретной популяции", представляющие разные регионы этого "секретного и загадочного Марса". ;-)

Translation
Very "interesting" name themes! To put it mildly! You, my friend Nerby, asked how about Mars and Martians. This begs a counter question: when you are there in your Alabamas, as we say, will make your eyes open?:huh:
On the question put in the title of the topic, I as a native "Martian", I will tell you that not only someone was here, we live here more than 100 million souls. And by the way, at this forum we have several representatives of this "secret population", representing different regions of this "secret and mysterious Mars".;-)

Back
Top Bottom