New Forum layout April 2018

I would also take the translation files and offer them for free with no strings attached on the XenForo Resources site, with a donate button. Most likely, no one will donate anything. But it would get us "out there" as the nice people on Cassiopaea who did what no one else would do. People are looking for Spanish especially, and French...

Then more people would use XenForo, we'd get "credit" for being awesome, and XenForo would spread. Which means it would get better.

For the reasons above, I think it would be worth it. And I imagine that the 6000 lines are pretty short. But would there be a way to check with the XenForo peeps that nobody is working on these translations already, just in case? It would be a pity to do that work if they say that they almost have it ready, done by someone else.

But would there be a way to check with the XenForo peeps that nobody is working on these translations already, just in case?

They aren't. They left it to the community to do, probably because they'd end up having to pay a whole lot of people to translate everything professionally.

It would be a pity to do that work if they say that they almost have it ready, done by someone else.

Someone has already done all the work for French and Spanish (with aforementioned strings attached), so that doesn't matter much either. And anyway, more than one person can upload a translation to the XenForo Resources page... It's like add-ons for Firefox. People use they one they want, comment on it and vote it up/down, etc.

Aimarok tested OmegaT, and it looks like that would be way easier and quicker. He'll prolly post about it later since he was gonna add some "enhancements".

Here's mini HowTo for translating XenForo language files in OmegaT:

1. Download and install OmegaT
2. Download and install Okapi Framework plugin for OmegaT (current version). If you didn't install OmegaT plugins before, search online.
3. In OmegaT go to: Options -> Preferences -> Tag processing. Change "Regular expression for custom tags" to "\{.+?\}" (without quotes).
4. Create new project in OmegaT. Copy XenForo file to source folder.
5. Download attached archive. Unzip it somewhere inside the project folder.
6. In OmegaT go to: Project -> Properties -> File filters. Check "Make the file filter settings project specific". In filters list find and click "XML files (Okapi - XML filter)". Click "Options". Check "Use the following parameters file", choose unzipped file. Close all dialogs and reload the project.

After that you should get clean segments in OmegaT editor. HTML and {text} tags should be recognized and protected by OmegaT. After translated document is created it should be fixed to use CDATA notation for element values, but it's not your headache as a translator.

Attachments

• okf_xml@XenForo.fprm.zip
    450 bytes · Views: 5
Here's mini HowTo for translating XenForo language files in OmegaT:

1. Download and install OmegaT
2. Download and install Okapi Framework plugin for OmegaT (current version). If you didn't install OmegaT plugins before, search online.
3. In OmegaT go to: Options -> Preferences -> Tag processing. Change "Regular expression for custom tags" to "\{.+?\}" (without quotes).
4. Create new project in OmegaT. Copy XenForo file to source folder.
5. Download attached archive. Unzip it somewhere inside the project folder.
6. In OmegaT go to: Project -> Properties -> File filters. Check "Make the file filter settings project specific". In filters list find and click "XML files (Okapi - XML filter)". Click "Options". Check "Use the following parameters file", choose unzipped file. Close all dialogs and reload the project.

Hi aimarok,

If we are already using OmegaT, does it mean that we can start at step 4?

Could it jeopardize our other projects for a layman as I am with that software?

If we are already using OmegaT, does it mean that we can start at step 4?

Could it jeopardize our other projects for a layman as I am with that software?

You will need steps 2 and 3 as well. Your other projects should be fine because the only change that affects all the projects is step 3, which makes strings like {something} behave like tags.

I forgot to mention it in HowTo: comments window will contain internal ID for the string to help you identify string location and meaning.
2018-10-02_07:57:24.png

Your other projects should be fine because the only change that affects all the projects is step 3, which makes strings like {something} behave like tags.

Hi @aimarok,

So, since step 3 can affect all the projects, it makes me nervous to go ahead with it since it could change something in the others projects.

Then what do mean exactly by "behave like tags".

@Altair, can we see directly that project on Gitlab?

So, since step 3 can affect all the projects, it makes me nervous to go ahead with it since it could change something in the others projects.

Then what do mean exactly by "behave like tags".

Tags are shown in gray font color, you can't edit tag symbols once you add whole tag in segment editor, but you can delete a tag if you select all its symbols. If you type some tag by hand that is absent in segment source, it won't become protected. That's it. As far as I know your projects don't contain {text} elements. Anyway this setting doesn't affect translations, it only helps to track important pieces of data in texts.

OK, here's XML filter configuration file which makes step 3 unnecessary. But you will want to check comments window to get some context on segments with tags.

Attachments

461 bytes · Views: 8
@Gandalf: I created the project on Gitlab. In Omegat go to menu Project -> Download Team Project and paste the following URL:

https://gitlab.com/altair99/xenforofr.git

You will have to enter the credentials of your Gitlab account.

After that, you still have to do steps 2 and 6 from the HowTo posted above.

Added: Step 6 should be done with the file posted here.

Last edited:
@Gandalf: I created the project on Gitlab. In Omegat go to menu Project -> Download Team Project and paste the following URL:

https://gitlab.com/altair99/xenforofr.git

You will have to enter the credentials of your Gitlab account.

After that, you still have to do steps 2 and 6 from the HowTo posted above.

Added: Step 6 should be done with the file posted here.

I follow those instructions for Okapi: Okapi Filters Plugin for OmegaT - Okapi Framework

It is downloaded and the new project has been created.

I have translated a couple of phrases to see if it is working properly. It seems...

Here's updated mini HowTo for translating XenForo language files in OmegaT:

1. Download and install OmegaT. Please install the latest version (at the moment 4.1.5 update 2). Latest version works only with Java 1.8. If you're not sure if you have it installed, download "with JRE" version.
2. Download and install Okapi Framework plugin for OmegaT (current version). Here is how:

Download the file okapiFiltersForOmegaT-<version>-dist.zip from:
  • Download the file okapiFiltersForOmegaT-<version>-dist.zip and unzip it:
  • Locate your OmegaT plugins directory (see your platform below).
  • Copy the plugin's JAR file to the plugins directory.
  • Restart OmegaT.
Windows

On Windows you can install the plugin to the plugins directory where OmegaT is installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\OmegaT) or to your Application Data directory:

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\OmegaT
  • Windows Vista or later: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OmegaT
Mac OS X

On OS X you are recommended to install the plugin to /Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/OmegaT/plugins. The Library folder in your home directory may be hidden; to access it from the Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the main menu and enter ~/Library/Preferences/OmegaT/plugins.

Linux & BSD

On Linux and BSD you can install the plugin to the plugins directory where OmegaT is installed (alongside OmegaT.jar) or to ~/.omegat/plugins.

3. Create new project in OmegaT. Copy XenForo file to source folder.
4. Download attached archive. Unzip it somewhere inside the project folder.
5. In OmegaT go to: Project -> Properties -> File filters. Check "Make the file filter settings project specific". In filters list find and click "XML files (Okapi - XML filter)". Click "Options". Check "Use the following parameters file", choose unzipped file. Close all dialogs and reload the project.

After that you should get clean segments in OmegaT editor. HTML and {text} tags should be recognized and protected by OmegaT. After translated document is created it should be fixed to use CDATA notation for element values, but it's not your headache as a translator.

Please post here if you need a new team project. We use GitLab for versioning of our Omegat projects. We have already team projects for French, German and Spanish translations.

Attachments

469 bytes · Views: 8
Hi, I am collaborating with Spanish translation and I think that would be useful to know the context of every segment of text. There are words that in Spanish should be translated differently depending on the context where it appears. I know that probably not, but since asking is free :rolleyes: ... Is there any way to know or to see where every phrase is showed in the site?

Hi, I am collaborating with Spanish translation and I think that would be useful to know the context of every segment of text. There are words that in Spanish should be translated differently depending on the context where it appears. I know that probably not, but since asking is free :rolleyes: ... Is there any way to know or to see where every phrase is showed in the site?

Every string in XML file has an unique identifier which gives a bit of context (see this post). If you want full context, then you'll need to search these IDs in XenForo source code and check what it does. Unfortunately source code can be obtained only by purchasing the license.

Back
Top Bottom