All About Fasting

It's probably best to go into ketosis before starting a fast, that sure helps. Also having a reason, an aim for why you're doing it also helps a lot. Another thing is that you don't necessarily need to do it if it's causing you problems, best to listen to your body. You can also try intermittent fasting, if you haven't already.
I had been taking fat 100+ grams for many years, though I increased carbs recent years. Does it fall under pure Keto, I am not sure. My expired strips shows middle of keto spectrum. I am not even sure what the strips showing correct or not. I am more or less intermittent fasting during all this time, though not strictly.

This time, I did water fasting with some Himalayan pink Salt for 5 days. 3rd day is Ok, 4th day starting feeling little issues with lower back, not a big issue, 5th day was rough. I couldn't sit for more than 1 hr ( any where chair or sofa), that forced me laydown all the time. Not a issue, since it is a Saturday. By evening, I started feeling acid reflex. ended up taking digestive enzymes. There is a argument that digestive enzyme needs to digested by stomach. i.e it is fast breaking. Well, I tried with 1 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar with 1 Tsp of lemon juice in a glass of water. It didn't work. some other symptoms are strain sensation in the legs body fat. I did lot of Infra red lamp bath and hot water bath for temporary relief.

I looked on the internet for these symptoms, there are lot of video's talk about these symptoms as a side reaction that can be rough, but goes away in a day or two on its way, if one ride it through. There is no consistency when they will come and go and why. body knows what it is doing.

6th day (Today), I broke the fast with Bone broth( with some apple cider Vinegar) and hoped it will relieve me from all the symptoms, but it took 8 hrs before i can feel little better and took some solids ( eggs + avocado) and I think I am getting back to normal, though the acid reflex is still there. I took digestive enzymes 3 times today. I could sit for a longer time.

I did 17 day Master cleanse ( lemon+ maple syrup+ water ) twice long back( during carb days). I know maple syrup not a ideal one. the experience was not like this.

Here is my experience:
I'v been on keto diet since 3 years: I didn't noticed any benefit, sometimes my chronic diarrhea dissapeared but came back rather quickly. I lost weight (i didn't want to), and still fatigue, brain fog, low memory, low attention, etc. 2 or 3 times I tried 1 week intermittent fasting (IF)

Since 3 months, I'm on carnivore diet, though not strict as I have some cravings (nuts, gluten free bread, chocolate hot drinking). At least, vegetables and fruits don't miss me.
I'm at day 7 of dry IF i.e. I have breakfast and lunch on a 6-7 hour window, and eat nor drink anything after 15 PM. I didn't think that I'll be able not to drink from 15 PM to 8 AM, even not a drop of water, no supplement neither.
What surprised me is that it wasn't difficult. So I think that being on keto and even more on carnivore diet makes it easier. I didn't have any craving neither!!
I didn't have headache
I haven't noticed any benefit, but at least I'm not in a worst state, and even I'm less thirst and much less cravings.

I even wonder if I will not make dry IF my routine; anyhow I will listen to my body.

I had been taking fat 100+ grams for many years, though I increased carbs recent years. Does it fall under pure Keto, I am not sure. My expired strips shows middle of keto spectrum. I am not even sure what the strips showing correct or not. I am more or less intermittent fasting during all this time, though not strictly.

This time, I did water fasting with some Himalayan pink Salt for 5 days. 3rd day is Ok, 4th day starting feeling little issues with lower back, not a big issue, 5th day was rough. I couldn't sit for more than 1 hr ( any where chair or sofa), that forced me laydown all the time. Not a issue, since it is a Saturday. By evening, I started feeling acid reflex. ended up taking digestive enzymes. There is a argument that digestive enzyme needs to digested by stomach. i.e it is fast breaking. Well, I tried with 1 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar with 1 Tsp of lemon juice in a glass of water. It didn't work. some other symptoms are strain sensation in the legs body fat. I did lot of Infra red lamp bath and hot water bath for temporary relief.

I looked on the internet for these symptoms, there are lot of video's talk about these symptoms as a side reaction that can be rough, but goes away in a day or two on its way, if one ride it through. There is no consistency when they will come and go and why. body knows what it is doing.

6th day (Today), I broke the fast with Bone broth( with some apple cider Vinegar) and hoped it will relieve me from all the symptoms, but it took 8 hrs before i can feel little better and took some solids ( eggs + avocado) and I think I am getting back to normal, though the acid reflex is still there. I took digestive enzymes 3 times today. I could sit for a longer time.

I did 17 day Master cleanse ( lemon+ maple syrup+ water ) twice long back( during carb days). I know maple syrup not a ideal one. the experience was not like this.

This is a mystery to me @seek10 . One does not expect acid reflux on a fast, and why would you take digestive enzymes if you had nothing to digest? I can see taking the acidic fluids (lemon juice or vinegar) as my understanding of acid reflux is that is _generally_ from too little stomach acid. If I remember correctly, taking too much salt did have a poor affect on my stomach when I fasted (and even when I don't fast too much salt can cause semi-vomiting, perhaps you thought it was acid reflux?), perhaps it was too much of the Himalayan salt? How are you now? If better, perhaps experiment with taking briefly more salt than usual and se if you have a reaction? If so, then you are better to judge how much salt (if any) you need in the future.

This is a mystery to me @seek10 . One does not expect acid reflux on a fast, and why would you take digestive enzymes if you had nothing to digest? I can see taking the acidic fluids (lemon juice or vinegar) as my understanding of acid reflux is that is _generally_ from too little stomach acid.
Honestly, I also didn't expected it either. I started for 2 days, then took it day by day with a intention of max. 5 days, for 4 days no major side effects. Suddenly all started on the 5th day. This is the video i saw to decided to try with apple cider vinegar
If I remember correctly, taking too much salt did have a poor affect on my stomach when I fasted (and even when I don't fast too much salt can cause semi-vomiting, perhaps you thought it was acid reflux?), perhaps it was too much of the Himalayan salt?
May be you are right in saying too much salt. I did have this semi-vomiting feeling.
How are you now? If better, perhaps experiment with taking briefly more salt than usual and se if you have a reaction? If so, then you are better to judge how much salt (if any) you need in the future.
Lower back issue, muscle strain and acid reflex are all gone. Pretty much back to normal. I slowly introduced all foods back one by one. I haven't yet introduced to fat level of pre-fast days. But I will be doing next day or two. Thank you for asking.

I've just been inspired by the recent session and so thought I would give a quick 1 day fast a go. It went well. I went to the local shop and bought some very nice Maple syrup but I under-lemmoned! - I suppose it is quite an easy mistake to make when starting something new to underestimate the quantities of items that one needs.
I also bought some bionta freshly squeezed lemon juice as a back up and I actually preferred it. I think that was because I trusted the Bionta juice to be organic. The lemons I just wasnt't quite so sure about.
In the UK it was a bank holiday which fit in quite well. I remember I did try fasting when I lived in Oman many years ago. I struggled there a bit because I had fallen in love with the fish curry that the canteen prepared and didn't want to miss out on it.
The next day after the fast I really enjoyed my breakfast! Was very simple bacon and egg but tasted great.
Following that I think this short fast has really helped to break up my normal food routine.
Before I was almost religiously sticking to set meal times and would east the same in-between snacks of nuts, crisps and chocolate.
The other "snack" I have enjoyed is a brand of UK crips called Nick Naks. They are rather messy to eat but I like the flavour and slightly prefer them to the other classic of Monster Munch! :)
In the evening I had a T bone steak and thought it was awesome.
I think the body really appreciates good food when it has to spend a day where it isn't allowed any.

All in all, a very interesting experiment and I will be fine for round two in month? (I haven't really checked what is the ideal frequency for fasting) - For me for simplicity I am quite happy to use the bank holiday calendar as markers but naturally I know that the dates are not nutritionally connected! :)

I remember I did try fasting when I lived in Oman many years ago. I struggled there a bit because I had fallen in love with the fish curry that the canteen prepared and didn't want to miss out on it.
The next day after the fast I really enjoyed my breakfast! Was very simple bacon and egg but tasted great.
You ate bacon in Oman?

You ate bacon in Oman?
Yes, but here I was talking past tense about the time I lived there. My admiration of breakfast here was a reference to last week after finishing a day of fasting.
For expats in Oman Bacon is actually very much on the menu. There are special shops that serve the expat community who stock a range of non-muslim products. It was a while ago and so I forget what the shops were called. It wasn't Bacon Shop but if I was a retailer I think that would be a store I would visit! :)

Sorry, I thought someone would know or would very kindly be able to direct me to a place that gives advice on ideal frequency for fasting?

Sorry, I thought someone would know or would very kindly be able to direct me to a place that gives advice on ideal frequency for fasting?

It seems that, for most, rather than fasting for days on end or some variant of, intermittent fasting can bring about the same benefits. Intermittent fasting is where one chooses a number of hours in the day where they eat, and then they fast for the rest. It would be advisable that anybody attempting to do so be aware of any underlying health issues and that they listen to their body and adjust accordingly.

A recent session discussed intermittent fasting:

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/threads/session-18-may-2019.47219/ said:
Q: (L) Oh, and there was one thing I had at the bottom of the list. I guess it goes with diet. I thought it was a good idea to fast one day a week.

A: Intermittent fasting will do.

As for how many hours this eating window should be, according to: Doctor: Intermittent fasting and zero carb diets are safe and effective -- Sott.net

If you are insulin resistant, the keys to avoiding the pitfalls listed in the article on the epidemic of the metabolic syndrome are intermittent fasting and a low carb, high fat diet. I feel that the more insulin resistant you are the narrower the eating window will need to be. Again there are no controlled studies to go by but from experience over the last 3-4 years talking to people about this it seems to me that insulin resistant people, even if it is mild insulin resistance need to keep the daily eating window no wider than 8 hours. For moderate to severe insulin resistance a 6 hour eating window with 2 all you want meals of food that is 70-80% fat calories is the way to go. I personally have found that a 12 hour eating window every other day works out best with my schedule and I have followed this regimen for the last 290 days (I was formerly on the 6 hours per day plan).

Obviously if one has never tried this before, it may be best to try it out once a week and work up slowly, paying attention to how the body reacts.

There are many more articles on SOTT regarding intermittent fasting Sott.net

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be late with my input. I'd recommennd a book, which IMO is a complete guide on Intermittent Fasting:
VanDerschelden, Michael. The Scientific Approach to Intermittent Fasting

Re. the frequency, IMO it depends on your body-mind condition and on your goalsq i.e. what do you want to achieve with the fasting - cure some health issues, anti-aging therapy, lean muscle or just lose weight ;-)

Too much water makes you thirsty and too much food makes you crave more. At least this is how my body has been reacting lately to those two issues. Eating one meal a day seems to work best for now. A good paleo style of eating seems to satisfy the best. It's not necessary to abstain from or restrict food intake for days.

Reactions: Ina
Yes, but here I was talking past tense about the time I lived there. My admiration of breakfast here was a reference to last week after finishing a day of fasting.
For expats in Oman Bacon is actually very much on the menu. There are special shops that serve the expat community who stock a range of non-muslim products. It was a while ago and so I forget what the shops were called. It wasn't Bacon Shop but if I was a retailer I think that would be a store I would visit! :)
It was Al Fair supermarket and still is.
However the government has just put a 100% tax on all pork products!

Back
Top Bottom