Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I didn't see any reference to Lugol's in that Indonesia study. And that study relies heavily on UNICEF/PAMM/MI/ICCIDD/WHO. Do you really trust such a study?

I don't see anything controversial in that study. It's just the comparison between two oils as carriers of iodine. It's just another possible version of iodine supplements, which may or may not be worth considering.

The Indonesia study used peanut oil and poppyseed oil. If Lugol's is not effective then I guess many of us are just reporting placebo effects.

Effective in what exactly? I just say that Lugol's is not very effective in direct killing of pathogens. I already gave many links in this topic about that problem that many tried to solve. It was a well known fact for a long time.

I don't know why you are saying such things after most of this thread started with Dr. David Brownstein's studies.

Because I myself now have a lot of experience with Lugol's and I have read other things outside David Brownstein. But even the Brownstein doesn't mention curing anyone with serious infectious disease, if I remember correctly.

Would an infrabed (near infrared) be helpful for Vit D for you?

No, but ultravioletbed might. :-D
I plan to use the sun, but the problem is that I am still waiting for it. I had a couple of sunny days in the end of March, but April so far is very cloudy.

I don't see anything controversial in that study. It's just the comparison between two oils as carriers of iodine. It's just another possible version of iodine supplements, which may or may not be worth considering.

I wouldn't say the study is controversial but I wouldn't find it that relevant to Lugol's either. Personally the sources quoted in it don't create a sense of confidence for me (WHO, UNICEF).

I don't know if others agree with your view about Lugol's but I find it to be a good option. You may have health issues that need a different solution and you certainly should go with what works for you.

I agree with what you said " It's just another possible version of iodine supplements, which may or may not be worth considering."

I find it "worth considering" and will continue to take it as a supplement unless there is some new discovery that proves to be better.

Iodine in the form of Lugol is just not very effective when used orally. It can improve the immune system, but direct killing of pathogens is hard to achieve. I have yet to find a successful approach, and I have read dozens of articles on how to improve it.

For those who want to do further research or experiment with iodine, you can take a look at another interesting study: USE OF ORAL IODIZED OIL TO CONTROL IODINE DEFICIENCY IN INDONESIA

It is very effective orally - as I said above - it is a question of dose. From my experience, doses that really work (I mean, you can feel they work), begin at about 300 mg daily. If repeated, with each of next dose (hour later or so) the potency is higher, and you can stop any infections that way. Even in teeth or in bad wound. Or stop fungal infection if continued for weeks.

It is very effective orally - as I said above - it is a question of dose. From my experience, doses that really work (I mean, you can feel they work), begin at about 300 mg daily. If repeated, with each of next dose (hour later or so) the potency is higher, and you can stop any infections that way. Even in teeth or in bad wound. Or stop fungal infection if continued for weeks.

You could be right, but I'm currently more interested in improving the effectiveness of smaller doses. For example, I found out that a small amount of blue iodine would give me more energy than much higher amount of Lugol's. Unfortunately, giving more energy to my body also feeds my pathogens, so that's why I have to seek for another solution.

You could be right, but I'm currently more interested in improving the effectiveness of smaller doses. For example, I found out that a small amount of blue iodine would give me more energy than much higher amount of Lugol's. Unfortunately, giving more energy to my body also feeds my pathogens, so that's why I have to seek for another solution.
Hi Persej,

Sorry if I missed it, but what pathogens have you got?

I wasn't sure for a long time, but now I think that my health issues are mainly caused by Candida.
Interesting hypothesis, and I get many people coming to me who also think that candida is causing their health problems.

But for what its worth, I don't think that attributing health issues to one specific pathogen - which in this case candida (which is actually usually part of the commensal flora), is useful for something like candida.

There are couple of reasons why:

1. Candida exists in everyone's gut, but it only becomes overgrown/pathogenic/hyphal in a small group of people.

2. Candida is responsive to the local environment:

- It can become overgrown if the local immunity is poor (relating to decreased immunoglobulin A on the gut lining, for example)

- It is poisoned by similar toxic agents as human cells are. There is research to show that candida transforms into a pathogenic state after it has it's stress response activated (in the study, the toxin was oxalate). Likewise, other research exists to show that EMF can induce a stress response in other yeasts, which may also be applicable to candida.

- Candida potentially sequesters metals, forming biofilm/hyphae.

Hence, from a clinical perspective I do not look at candida as the bad-guy. In the majority of cases, antifungals do not work long term. People try to "kill" candida, without getting to the root cause of WHY candida is overgrown in the first place.

The more recent data is pointing to the idea that candida is actually a symptom, rather than a cause of illness per se.

So you may benefit from approaching the issue from a whole new perspective. Perhaps try to figure out why your body is allowing or potentially benefiting from candida overgrowth. Then, by addressing a more fundamental cause, the candida may fade away in and of itself.

My health has decided to take a sharp turn downhill again and it's been pretty rough 2 months. I have therefore been considering doing an iodine enema. Has anyone by any chance tried that with any positive results? If yes, what symptoms did it help with?

I've tried other enemas (coffee, vitamin c or probiotics) with little to no improvement so I thought experimenting with iodine may help. Especially that iodine has been very helpful already and I've been consistently taking it since December 2015.

My health has decided to take a sharp turn downhill again and it's been pretty rough 2 months. I have therefore been considering doing an iodine enema. Has anyone by any chance tried that with any positive results? If yes, what symptoms did it help with?

I've tried other enemas (coffee, vitamin c or probiotics) with little to no improvement so I thought experimenting with iodine may help. Especially that iodine has been very helpful already and I've been consistently taking it since December 2015.
Well, I am not so sure if that is a good idea. It will be good if you can explain in more details what is going on with your health. Maybe some of the forum members have experience with similar problems. In any case, it is good if you could go and ask for help from your doctor.

I hope you will get better.

Hi Ant22!
I searched on pubmed (medical international database) for iodine enema, and there is nothing. I experienced for vit C enema, it makes my colon gurgle and i don't know if it's a good sign or not, there isn't info on that either. Even if I don't seem to get improvement, at least I think it prevents from degradation (I'm in an environnement full of EMF and wifi).

Did you try blue iodine? It seems more easy to swallow and doesn't give me stomach burn (contrary to Lugol).

if you don't want to see a doctor, have you the possibility to see a holistic one, or someone that practices traditional chinese medicine? I saw radio-sott with Dr Jeremy Ayres, he is in England, and he gives consultations by skype. Maybe you can contact him?
Here is his website: About Dr Jeremy
And the show: Objective:Health #10 - Unlocking the Doors to Natural Healing with Guest Dr. Jeremy Ayres -- Sott.net

Hope you'll get better. Let us know.:hug2:

Last edited:
Hello,

I am 71 years old and I suffer from MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) and intolerance to light for 12 years.
I spent years in the dark not to bear the slightest smell.
My condition has improved. I go out, protected by a triple anti-UV umbrella, and only when it's gray and not hot!
Perfumes and cleaning products really make me sick. I'm taking oral iodine recently. Neurogenic pain has decreased, but the effect lasts only 5 or 6 hours after taking. And if I take again, the same day, I don’t fell good.
I have trouble managing the salt load protocol because the taste of salt come back in my mouth.
Are there other people in my case? Do you know hox to deal with the iodine ?
PS: I can not get an iodine test. Where can I find one? I have family in the USA and Canada.

Thanks you very much

Do you know hox to deal with the iodine ?

Have you tried vitamin C? If you can get some plain ascorbic acid, you can take one level teaspoon every hour or so to bowel tolerance. When it's too much, you'll have a laxative effect. The idea is to stop when the stomach starts gurgling so you don't get diarrhea. Next day, you repeat the process. Never stop vitamin C abruptly or you'll get an artificial deficiency.

Some sort of liver detox should also help, i.e. milk thistle, glutathione and/or alpha lipoic acid.

Thank you for your replies everyone. I wanted to be efficient with information to avoid dumping my issues on the everyone when the world is burning. But I guess I should have at least mentioned that I did seek advice from my doctor multiple times over the years, and I got medical tests done too, including recently. I do apologise for the length of my post, I really don't know what information is useful and I don't want to give an impression of randomly experimenting with weird ideas.

I had yet another set of blood / stool / urine tests done in late April. The blood work required so many samples that I was told to have a huge breakfast right after leaving the clinic and not drive home on my own. And yet the results were perfectly normal - as they always have been. So much for finding the root cause.

So when I posted the above question it was because I was grasping at straws and I've ran out of ideas.

Also, just to let you guys know, I did go ahead with the enema becuase I didn't think I had much to lose. Enemas always make me feel quite bad as they give me a strange yucky sensation in my tummy and make the brain fog and fatigue very bad for a couple of hours. For this reason, I decided to do it right before going to sleep. Unlike other enemas (probiotic, vitamin c, coffee), there was not a chance I was going to be able to hold it for anything more than 6 minutes. My tummy was very uncomfortable and to spare you the details, the evacuation was probably the most traumatising toilet situation I've experienced. I really needed to lie down afterwards. But it looks like it was worth it. I did the enema on Friday and despite the toilet drama I actually slept very well and I started to feel better the next day. Not super but noticeably better. I have continued to feel quire OK today too.

I'll have another round tonight but with a lower dose becuase I wasn't exactly modest with the amount of iodine I added to the water on Friday.

What symptoms have you been experiencing?

Hey Meg, it's going to sound trivial but fatigue and brain fogs. Something I've battled for 15 years now.

Iodine did help, so did intermittent fasting + L-glutamine, weekly AHT, RO filtered water, a clean diet and a whole bunch of supplements so it's been better since 2015. But around two months ago all my symptoms came back just as bad as they were before and I have no idea why. Even bone and joint pain came back and I hadn't had it in years.

That's despite the fact that nothing changed about my diet or lifestyle. My diet is very clean and limited in scope, mostly organic / outdoor reared meat, including organs, vegetables plus some fruit. No gluten or dairy, hardly any grains. The keto and carnivore approaches didn't work for me unfortunately. My digestion isn't great either but it has been up and down since I was little.

My job requires a lot of focus, analysis and drawing accurate conclusions while working very closely with demanding clients and stakeholders, so trying to follow conversations and keep my eyes open is a real nightmare. Changing my job is long overdue but at least in the current one I've developed a level of expertise where I can at times operate on autopilot and get away with it. I promised myself I'll start looking for a new job, ideally working for myself, when I've felt well for 6 months. There hasn't been good 6 months yet. I haven't gotten past the 3 month mark yet. And each time my symptoms deteriorate I handle it worse and worse emotionally. To be honest, over the past two weeks I swapped keeping up with the forum and SOTT for Netflix - and I never watched Netflix before. I don't even have television at home.

During the good days I really manage to do a lot and I've developed a reputation of being the go-to person with difficult tasks, people and situations at work and in my private life. I read loads and I totally enjoy it, especially that books recommended here are very useful in my profession. But when the bad days come I feel like my brain is filled with glue and all I want to do is sleep.

I also have skin issues, I've been prone to skin allergies since I was little. The worst of my issues is melasma, i.e. hyperpigmentation. Over the years it faded to the point that it was barely noticeable, and I don't wear makeup other than mascara. I was told by multiple doctors and dermatologists that it wasn't curable so I was really glad they were wrong. But over the last two months it got really bad again. It usually gets worse when I start to feel worse in general. Needless to say looking like I'm changing race doesn't exactly help my overall mood.

I've been reading about SIBO a lot recently and given how bad enemas make me feel I started to wonder if I have some critters that may require more drastic encouragement to "relocate". Parasite protocols didn't helped much in the past and I couldn't find any other solution I hadn't unsuccessfully tried so I thought of trying out iodine enemas.

Well, I am not so sure if that is a good idea. It will be good if you can explain in more details what is going on with your health. Maybe some of the forum members have experience with similar problems. In any case, it is good if you could go and ask for help from your doctor.

I hope you will get better.

Thank you Konstantin. Like I said above, I did seek professional advice and got tons of tests done too.

I realise others have similar or even worse problems, so I feel like this super long post is a bit spammy. But I thought I'd clarify that I'm not just experimenting with my weird ideas before trying out more reasonable approaches.

Hi Ant22!
I searched on pubmed (medical international database) for iodine enema, and there is nothing. I experienced for vit C enema, it makes my colon gurgle and i don't know if it's a good sign or not, there isn't info on that either. Even if I don't seem to get improvement, at least I think it prevents from degradation (I'm in an environnement full of EMF and wifi).

Did you try blue iodine? It seems more easy to swallow and doesn't give me stomach burn (contrary to Lugol).

if you don't want to see a doctor, have you the possibility to see a holistic one, or someone that practices traditional chinese medicine? I saw radio-sott with Dr Jeremy Ayres, he is in England, and he gives consultations by skype. Maybe you can contact him?
Here is his website: About Dr Jeremy
And the show: Objective:Health #10 - Unlocking the Doors to Natural Healing with Guest Dr. Jeremy Ayres -- Sott.net

Hope you'll get better. Let us know.:hug2:

Thank you nature, I'll listen to the show you linked when I get the chance.

Unlike you, I have no issues with Lugol. I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm not taking your advice on board but I'm a bit reluctant to spend money on another supplement, especially that Lugol doesn't upset my stomach, even when taken without food. I'm glad that the blue iodine works for you though, it would be bad if you weren't able to take it at all given what a magical little substance it is! :-)

Have you tried vitamin C? If you can get some plain ascorbic acid, you can take one level teaspoon every hour or so to bowel tolerance. When it's too much, you'll have a laxative effect. The idea is to stop when the stomach starts gurgling so you don't get diarrhea. Next day, you repeat the process. Never stop vitamin C abruptly or you'll get an artificial deficiency.

Some sort of liver detox should also help, i.e. milk thistle, glutathione and/or alpha lipoic acid.

Thank you Gaby, yes, I have tried all of these. My recent blood work included a specific liver panel and it didn't show anything abnormal. All results were within the acceptable ranges. I've been taking Milk Thistle, glutathione, NAC and many other supplements daily since 2013. I added iodine + co-factors, ALA and other supplements in 2015. I have the MTHFR mutation (among other things I got tested for) which I manage with supplements too. I have also tried and continue to take vitamin C as Ascorbic Acid, L-Ascorbic Acid, liposomal and enemas with sodium ascorbate. All of those for months at a time to experiment. I am aware of the need to watch out for the bowel tolerance level and I make sure I don't take too much.

In another thread you suggested activated charcoal and clays, which I have been taking since I read your reply too.

Of course I can't rule out a coincidence or something else achieving the recent improvement but I will continue to experiment with the iodine enemas. I'll add vitamin c and probiotic ones ot the mix too on different days just to balance out the impact of iodine.

Last edited:
[...]
Do you know hox to deal with the iodine?
PS: I can not get an iodine test. Where can I find one?
Hello croucrou,

Please be more specific in your question(s) about iodine.

You say you're taking iodine orally. Are you taking iodine in the form of Lugol's solution or another way?

What strength, in terms of percent solution? (Lugol's in 2% solution is just a rather poor skin disinfectant, and 5% strength is usually what is taken orally, though 12% might be used in taking very large amounts.) And how many drops of Lugol's solution are you taking?

The medical testing for iodine is usually called a "thyroid test". That should be readily available to you.

I hope that helps, and welcome to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom