The Gay "Germ" Hypothesis

It is interesting that a discussion about a hypothesis about a social/psychological and maybe neurological phenomenon leads to such trivial questions as what constitutes a natural/normal sexual activity and what does not. Somehow, it reminds me of a story of a chinese couple whe went to a doctor because they couldn't have a child after years of "trying" until they were told that they were doing it wrong, that the intercourse was meant to be from the "other side".
Now, people can be different in so many ways. You can use a toothbrush to clean the dishes if you want, but you can't pretend that it's natural and that it's its primary purpose. That doesn't make you evil, just keep your idiosyncrasy to yourself, or within the community of toothbrush dish cleaners.
The argument of "so you're saying gays are evil" when nobody said that is also cheap. As social beings, we have a public life, a social life, an intimate life, and a personal life, and list is certainly not exhaustive. The blurring of categories is the problem, not what people do it the intimacy of their bedroom (or their kitchen or wherever they prefer doing their thing). There are exception to categories of discourse of course, like when one asks of help or insight into some intimate or personal issues, but in the most usual case, it's out of place, especially it's done exhibitionistically.

Aha! So THAT'S the gay agenda! Luring timid hetero men into non-sexual combat! BUSTED!

Identifying sarcasm without the benefit of tone of voice clearly isn't my strength so I spent a good while wondering if you actually meant it :scared: Excuse me being a bit thick, maybe throw in an emoji to help a girl out next time ;-)

I used that quote to indicate that homosexual behaviour in the animal kingdom isn't a form of sexual expression equal to heterosexuality (as Cyre stated), although it does exist. I didn't use the quote to state that the description directly corresponds to human behavior.

As for The Caricature of Love itself, I don't think the book is an accurate description of every single homosexual out there. Cleckley was a psychiatrist and a researcher into the field of psychopathy so his exposure to homosexuals most likely involved quite severely disturbed individuals. And as pointed out by Cleckley, individuals with a distorted view of love and life have made their way to the forefront of the world of literature where they get to influence the masses, and it doesn't look like this tendency has stopped since.

What I think the book does very well, and do correct me if I'm wrong, is show how those disturbed minorities can impose their views on the majority. One way in which it is done is convincing the majority that sexual behaviour of a minority is equal to their own, when in biological terms it isn't. Sexual expression is an integral part of loving relationships and but sexual drive exists in nature as a means of ensuring survival of species. Gay people are born with this drive too and gay sex is simply responding to a heterosexual drive in a homosexual manner.

Last edited:
This is certainly an interesting thread. Given that microbiota-gut-brain axis is a concept that is being explored in biology to explain behaviour, mood, anxiety, CNS disorders, it’s not that much of a stretch to hypothesise that microbes may also influence sexual orientation.

Mind-altering microorganisms: the impact of the gut microbiota on brain and behaviour

Abstract
Recent years have witnessed the rise of the gut microbiota as a major topic of research interest in biology. Studies are revealing how variations and changes in the composition of the gut microbiota influence normal physiology and contribute to diseases ranging from inflammation to obesity. Accumulating data now indicate that the gut microbiota also communicates with the CNS — possibly through neural, endocrine and immune pathways — and thereby influences brain function and behaviour. Studies in germ-free animals and in animals exposed to pathogenic bacterial infections, probiotic bacteria or antibiotic drugs suggest a role for the gut microbiota in the regulation of anxiety, mood, cognition and pain. Thus, the emerging concept of a microbiota–gut–brain axis suggests that modulation of the gut microbiota may be a tractable strategy for developing novel therapeutics for complex CNS disorders.
Key points
  • There is a growing appreciation that the gut microbiota plays a key role in maintaining homeostasis and that a disruption in its composition contributes to various disease states, including CNS disorders.
  • The concept of a microbiota–gut–brain axis, although debated, is emerging to capture the importance that the microbiota has on regulating bidirectional gut–brain communication pathways.
  • It is clear that stress, including stress in early life, can alter microbiota composition and this can have marked consequences on physiology in adulthood.
  • Studies in germ-free animals and in animals exposed to pathogenic bacterial infections, probiotic bacteria or antibiotic drugs suggest a role for the gut microbiota in the regulation of anxiety, mood, cognition and pain.
  • Although not as conceptually or empirically developed, the gut microbiota has also been implicated in obesity, autism and multiple sclerosis.
  • Mechanisms as to how the microbiota are affecting gut–brain signalling are only now being unravelled. These mechanisms may include alterations in microbial composition, immune activation, vagus nerve signalling, alterations in tryptophan metabolism, production of specific microbial neuroactive metabolites and bacterial cell wall sugars.
  • Harnessing such mechanisms may pave the way for microbial-based therapeutics for various CNS disorders.
A search on Google Scholar turns up quite a few similar articles.

I agree but the assertion of a gay identity was a needed counter-reaction to social and legal prohibitions which had been shaming and oppressive. But as with other social liberation movements, such transitional, confrontive attitudes served an important purpose, but are not helpful as ongoing, permanent attitudes because they're obnoxious and disruptive by nature. Many gay people have never identified at all with the "gay movement", "gay lifestyle" or "gay culture", or at least they've ceased to after settling into their true identity and mature relationships. Judging all gays based on stereotypical media images/sound bites is equivalent to judging all heterosexuals based on stereotypical teenage antics and excesses. The perpetuation of the victimhood aspect of legitimate movements (i.e. gays, blacks, women) is likely what the CIA efforts have focused on to promote social divisions and prevent productive integration of those movements into a healthier society.

This was a point I made in my previous post: the reason gay pride is a thing at all is that straight people treated gays like second class citizens for most of the 20th century. In some cases, gay men were attacked and brutalized, beaten to death. Gay men in NYC threw a riot outside of Stonewall in 1969 when police raided a gay bar and attempted to arrest them for being gay in a gay space. That's what is celebrated by Pride every June. As I said, it's gone too far now but without understanding it we can't move past it as a culture. We are here to understand stuff, especially the weird stuff, right?

I think that the objective point is that the anus is designed/made/functions as a means of expelling waste from the body; it was never designed/intended to be used sexually.

That's the biological fact.

That makes it unnatural and, for most human beings, repellent. Using a body part in a way that was never intended by Nature can be considered brutal as well no matter how much soap you use.

What is truly bizarre is that men who reject women, seek to emulate heterosexual intercourse utilizing a facsimile.

And, while I'm willing to sugar that over with "to each his own" and "there's no accounting for taste" and "what people do in private is their own business," perhaps you can understand why that fact is repellent to most people and being constantly reminded of it by overtly gay/homosexual/queer behavior is not the way to gain acceptance.

If you are gay/homosexual/queer and you want to be accepted, just freaking act like a normal human being who keeps his private life PRIVATE.

Non-procreative sex is a useful bonding tool. Simply because the anus is primarily used to eliminate waste doesn't make sodomy unnatural. I think it's weird you think gay men are 'emulating heterosexual intercourse' at all. Gay men don't procreate via sex, and engage in sex for a variety of reasons. Just like straight people, they can do it to express their love for each other or as a lustful good time.

You seem a little homophobic. Specifically referring to gay men as "men who reject women?" Why use that particular wording? I never thought myself rejecting women, more preferring men sexually, on average. I also have plenty of healthy relationships with women and have collaborated with them in the past and will again in the future, so I only reject them the same way I reject any other individual whom I am not attracted to. That's not a rejection, it's a lack of attraction - and there is a subtle difference there.

...which, btw, goes for posting here about sexual practice as well. Cyre2067, this is precisely the problem: you call it "prudish" to "dance around the topic". Have you ever considered that people don't want to hear about such things, and don't want to see them spelled out like that as if it was nothing?? If gays have that careless attitude, confronting everyone with graphic language (which is along the same lines as having gay prides), is there any wonder people react badly? Prudish? I call it normal. And don't count on political correctness to save the day forever. It's your responsibility to practice external consideration and not shove all that gay stuff into everyone's faces, regardless of how "offended" you feel.

I have considered people do not want to hear about such things. You know what else they do not want to hear about? Predators. Corruption. Evil. Never stopped me from talking if I thought I could learn something from it.

When you have a group of people discussing a phenomenon in an attempt to understand it from every angle you have to be aware that some information may offend members of the conversation. If folks are serious, they'll tolerate a little discomfort in order to gain a better understanding. What 'graphic language' did I use? This is precisely what I mean by prudish. Your normal is quite conservative when it comes to willingness to discuss sexuality in the 21st century.

I'm not shoving anything in anyone's face, this is a very specific discussion in a very specific corner of the internet. If you're going to talk about homophobia as 'homoaversion' and try to rationalize your biases with flimsy science don't be surprised when someone, in this place of all places, points it out.

Well, there is the fairly well known fact that non-consensual sodomy is used against men as part of torture, with the specific understanding that it will humiliate and degrade them. You might say that the rape of a woman by a man is humiliating and degrading, but it is generally not done with that specific intention. So there's that.

Natural in this context means what nature intended for a creative end result.

Then natural sex is only sex that results in a baby? That would disqualify non-reproductive vaginal sex, or even oral sex as 'unnatural.' Look, I'm not going to quibble over definitions anymore than I already have. When two gay men in a loving relationship engage in sexual relations they aren't degrading one another or humiliating one another. They're celebrating the passion they have and there's generally a lot of laughing - is that too much info? Because psychopaths can engage in homosexual acts or even weaponize them in the case of a predator against a victim, that doesn't speak for the entirety of homosexuality and I would HOPE that is obvious. Similarly, serial rapists do not represent the majority of heterosexual activity.

Yes, that's exatly what I meant. To be clear, there was no judgement or condemnation in my post, and calling me a prude who's dancing around the issue is a lazy argument. The fact is that sodomy (whether practiced in a homosexual or heterosexual context) is an unnatural practice, stricto sensu it's a perversion. Perversion: the act of diverting something from its true nature. If you really want to stretch it to its most extreme, some may even say that any sexual act that deviates from the primary purpose of sex (reproduction) is - again stricto senso - a perversion. Again, no judgement or condemnation here, no "oh my God, this is evil!". These are just the biological facts.

Calling you a prude dancing around the issue wasn't an argument, it was an observation. You're also presuming the primary function is the only function of the anus, when it's pretty clear the human body has redundant systems with multiple ways to accomplish needed ends. In homosexual pairings, one of those ends is bonding between mates and sodomy is a large component of that. Seems like a biological fact, at least from my observations as a gay man living in NYC for 10+ years in a long-term monogamous relationship for the last four.

Plus, Cyre2067 managed to give more details about anal sex than anyone else has done on this forum even about normal sex. Do you see us talking about that overtly? No. Why? You can call it prudish, but I think it's common sense. What two consenting adults do in private is their business. We aren't a sex therapy forum either... If an issue comes up, fine, but to try and "educate" others of how normal this or that practice is, and use narratives, is another story.

You can call it common sense, but it's pretty prudish if, in the context of a discussion of homophobia, homosexuality, and the possibility of a pathogen causing it - we can't talk about the basics without more of that same aversion that the author of the original post is trying so hard to rationalize with scientific language.

My language wasn't graphic, nor did I say anything wildly outside the context of the thread. The entire point of discussing heterosexual characterization of homosexual sodomy and revulsion it triggers was to make a point: straight folk don't grok gay sex is because they aren't gay. The fact that some of you are still maintain gay sexual activity (sodomy in this case) is 'brutal, repellant, and unnatural' proves it, osit.

If this was a thread which focused on social attitudes toward heterosexual sexual activity, I'd probably want to hear what the straight people think about those attitudes. I wouldn't characterize heterosexual behavior with negative connotation simply because it's something I'd prefer to not participate in. Heck, if you want an example childbirth is brutal and the idea of bringing a child into this world voluntarily is rather repellent but I would never characterize my biases and attitudes as objective for obvious reasons.

Strange question, are you saying that there is no such thing as natural human sexuality? Across all of nature, sexual act normally aims to ensure survival of the species, so this pretty much defines natural: doing what it's designed to do.

Not every sexual expression is natural just becuase some people engage in it. Surely you'd agree that pedophilia, incest or corpoophilia are not normal expressions of human sexuality?

I was asking for a definition in context to aid communication and understanding. The default definition I use is 'occurring in nature.' Now Joe previously defined it as copulative sexual activity or that which results (or could result) in a baby.

Above, folks have been deriving that animals only use anal sex as a dominance thing, and not for pleasure. Does that make sodomy unnatural? I don't think so. It seems we can reasonably come to a consensus that sodomy for dominance occurs among animals, whereas we're only certain that humans engage in it voluntarily for pleasure and bonding.

My language wasn't graphic, nor did I say anything wildly outside the context of the thread.

Personally, I found it quite graphic, nowhere on this forum have I seen any such posts like it. Did you consider saying what you wanted to say in a more externally considerate way?

" Your normal is quite conservative when it comes to willingness to discuss sexuality in the 21st century."

Did you also consider BEFORE POSTING that your idea of "normal" may be abnormal? Yes, it may be a "strange" thing to have modesty and maintain dignity in the 21st century but what kind of values do you want to align yourself with?

Then natural sex is only sex that results in a baby?

It's more about the design function. A hunting rifle is designed for hunting animals or protecting yourself from others if necessary. Sure, you can 'have fun' with it by shooting targets and other things while still adhering to its design function, but if you stick it up your backside it's a pretty clear wrong use of it.

No, that's not Natural in the sense being discussed, which is the design element which is for reproduction. Sex was not designed to be an expression of emotions, though it can certainly be an expression of "deep feelings" in the sense that Damasio describes the drive for homeostasis.

You're intuiting intentions of the designers on what basis? They installed a prostate in men and a g-spot in women - both of which are commonly understood to trigger pleasurable experiences when they are properly stimulated during an act of sodomy. If there was no intention for sodomy to produce a pleasurable experience among members of the species, then why do these things exist? As with evolution, there must be a reason or they likely wouldn't have conserved the function.

So where does this leave the homosexual act? The only reason I can think of why a bonding between two men would result, is if the chemical pathways that are activated when a man has intercourse with a woman are activated in the 'dominant' male, essentially creating a bond designed to ensure the protection of offspring and 'ownership' of the 'female' (for continued procreation) where no such outcome is possible.

No doubt there is a whole other energetic or 'spiritual' aspect to this that we have little awareness of.

There's a lot of oxytocin released in both the top and the bottom. You're still making vast assumptions about what the designers intended because heterosexuality is the common modality. It's difficult enough to discern the intentions of other people, let alone hyperdimensional designers. You can make guesses based on apparent reality, but that's all they are.

To maintain 'that's not what that's for because it's mostly for this' is a weak argument, esp considering the context of human body parts and hyperdimensional designers.

The fact that some of you are still maintain gay sexual activity (sodomy in this case) is 'brutal, repellant, and unnatural' proves it, osit.

I think we're back to the original conclusion here, that everyone seems to agree on, that since most heterosexual people find it repellent, the promotion of it is a bad idea. I'd be as repelled by heterosexual aficionados of anal sex promoting it in one way or another on a float down main street, and would advocate (mostly in my own mind and in the privacy of my own home) for it to be banned.

Most other points pertaining to this topic fall into the realm of personal preference and, if I learned one thing, it's that personal preferences are what they are and you won't change someone by telling them that you prefer something else and that it's much better or more objective or whatever.

Last edited:
Did you also consider BEFORE POSTING that your idea of "normal" may be abnormal? Yes, it may be a "strange" thing to have modesty and maintain dignity in the 21st century but what kind of values do you want to align yourself with?

I guess in a world where Miley Cyrus' poses and behaviour such as those are perfectly allowed in the open our conversational preferences may seem quite prudish. I guess this makes such explicit expressions as "butt sex" or "in the butt" seem innocent but hey, to each their own.

Also, the conversation here is not about whether sex is or isn't a part of intimate and loving relationships, be it hetero or homosexual. Of course it is. We are merely discussing the intended biological function of human organs and the fact that this function serves other purposes, such as intimate bonding, doesn't mean that the original function isn't there anymore. Yet even mentioning that the body is a machine with it's parts designed for a specific purpose seems too much to take for those who are identified with this topic.

What a shame. Being gay comes wit a specific set of lessons to learn and wouldn't getting to the root cause of the origin of homosexuality assist in learning those lessons better?

There is evidence that gut bacteria can cause depression, autism and many other disorders that affect people's behaviour, and no one goes on the defensive. But when it is suggested that it may cause a change in sexual preferences it becomes an offensive topic.

It's more about the design function. A hunting rifle is designed for hunting animals or protecting yourself from others if necessary. Sure, you can 'have fun' with it by shooting targets and other things while still adhering to its design function, but if you stick it up your backside it's a pretty clear wrong use of it.

I was about to say that if you put a bucket on your head it won't make it a hat, it's still a bucket, but your analogy explains the concept so much better Joe, hands down :lol2:

Last edited:
Personally, I found it quite graphic, nowhere on this forum have I seen any such posts like it. Did you consider saying what you wanted to say in a more externally considerate way?

Not only graphic, but quite graphic! Sorry. I don't agree. I was being rather clinical in my descriptions. I don't worry about offending people in the context of a conversation on the internet about a difficult topic. I would never participate anywhere if I did. I used the most clinical and reasonable language that came to me. You may want to check your icky feelings at the door. Difficult conversations are not safe-spaces, and it's odd to see that same SJW-ish HOW DARE YOU TALK LIKE THAT here, in this context, of all places.

Quote me. I'm curious to know what is 'quite graphic' to you and others who feel that way. I could conjure some examples of graphic language for comparison, but that'd be rude and entirely too self-indulgent. What clear is that we have different standards and lexicons as evidenced by the need to come to a consensus on definitions of terms.

[...] In the same manner, you can't legislate away feelings of aversion - they are just going to go underground and hide behind masks.

With that in mind I think that the LGBT community is currently infected by a false sense of security - which may be one part of the effect of the germ - because you can't legislate away aversion. And what if this aversion is more prevalent than we know and some people are just better at faking acceptance or tolerance than others for fear of breaking some new social convention, familial obligation or under the threat of fine or forfeiture? There are some who may not feel aversion, some who feel the aversion but still have a respectful live and let live attitude, there are others who will feel the aversion and their resentments are both building and being suppressed - not a good situation because something will give sooner or later.

To me it's pointless to argue that hetero's shouldn't feel aversion to homo's. I'd prefer to know that they do and given LGBT history, that shouldn't surprise anyone.

[...]

Apart from that, I'd still prefer to know if people felt aversion towards me and I have detected both subtle and gross signs of avoidance in the past without always having a firm reason for the cause. There's always the chance that I was misreading the situation too.

Thank you for putting it in those terms, Jones. After all, we are all about finding out the truth, right? So why not just accept that that is at least part of the truth? It doesn't make anyone "bad", or less accepted here. It is just one thing that you can view as it IS. And with more information, we can become more externally considerate if we are willing to do so.

Cyre is trying to explain that natural "aversion" as a product of our ignorance or "prudishness" regarding the wonderfulness of same sex anal intercourse and what-not, but that won't work, because it is not what IS, sorry.

Germ theory might explain some of those instances though I couldn't say that every hetero felt aversion or displayed signs of avoidance. Hence my earlier question as to whether some might be more sensitive to detection of the germ because of their own genetic make up.

Yes, like you said, it's complex. And there is probably not just one cause. So, the theory is interesting just as it is for other things, like mental disorders and germs, for example. But people are different, with a different baggage, different life lessons, different coping mechanisms, different hard-wiring, etc.

You're intuiting intentions of the designers on what basis? They installed a prostate in men and a g-spot in women - both of which are commonly understood to trigger pleasurable experiences when they are properly stimulated during an act of sodomy. If there was no intention for sodomy to produce a pleasurable experience among members of the species, then why do these things exist? As with evolution, there must be a reason or they likely wouldn't have conserved the function.

That is why we have a built in sense of disgust. It's true that the prostate can be stimulated for sexual reasons, but most men don't embrace that fact - if anything they lament it. Our sense of disgust keeps us from messing with that part of our body which is a good thing because damage in that part of the body can lead to deadly infections, or pass infections to others.

So where is your sense of disgust? In fact you seem to be actively advocating against disgust in general.

What if parasites can interfere with our sense of disgust the same way toxoplasma interferes with the sense of fear in mice?

Not only graphic, but quite graphic! Sorry. I don't agree. I was being rather clinical in my descriptions. (...) Quote me. I'm curious to know what is 'quite graphic' to you and others who feel that way.

Jenn may have referred to different parts of your posts but personally I found the below ones to be overly explicit. You said your language was clinical. I beg to differ.

That's another point, straight people participate in butt sex as well. As far as natural, what does that even mean when it comes to human sexuality? If I go with a strict 'occurring in nature' that's demonstrably false, as there are animals in nature that do it in the butt as well.

My first thought when I read the above post was that this was a case of second brain circuit development issue, as described in the Wave here:

Individuals who are ruled by negative second stage imprinting generally use a lot of anal expressions or language relating to excretory functions and parts of the body. They have inveterate potty mouth. Very often those with heavy imprints in the second stage are either very concerned about physical fitness and body structure as a mode of power or just simply power over others in general. They fear thinking and feel that the best response to a problem is to frighten it away.

But I think it was more of a deliberate expression of disregard for the audience.

Back
Top Bottom