Iodine and Potassium Iodide

I strongly recommend everyone who wants to discuss the Iodine dosage, read links Gaby and others shared on first TWO pages of the current thread. Without it discussion is pointless.
I strongly advise everyone to read the entire thread before starting on the iodine. Yes, Gaby's information, as always, is invaluable, BUT there were many people who reacted badly to the iodine, itself, or to larger doses - not only physically, but mentally. Some people were only able to take very small doses, like a drop on their heel every other day, or even only weekly.

Everyone is NOT the same. Because this was a sort of experiment, all posts are relevant because they show how others reacted to the iodine.

What I don't understand, Kenny, is why you are so adamant that everyone do as you do? That you are the one who is right and others who have an opposing view are wrong? In some circumstances, this is true, but not where medicines are concerned, because, as I said above, "Everyone is NOT the same."

To add to the many interesting uses of iodine, shortly after moving to our new place, I've started getting redness in the face. I don't really know what is causing it but it really looks like rosacea to me. So I went to the doctor to try and get a referral to see a dermatologist but he just prescribed my metronidazole and told me that the dermatologist would have done the same thing (so much for a referral, then again, he's probably right). I was a little surprised to get prescribed that though, as I though they would have given me a cortisone cream or something. I bought the cream anyway but on the way home I was thinking, you know, iodine is an antibacterial maybe I should put some of that on my face. So at home we had some supplemental liquid potassium iodine (in glycerin and mild, only 150mcg) and I started using that instead. At first it didn't seem to do much but after a few days there was remarkable improvement. You couldn't even tell anything happened! As an experiment, I stopped using the iodine on my face and after 2 or 3 days my face would become red and flush. So there's definitely something going on there. Though I still suspect there is something environmental going on.

As for Lugol's, I've been rather sporadic. Sometimes I would do only 2-5 drops for a couple of days, then forget. And when I remember, I would do a few here and there. Occasionally I would do 8-10 drops. That could be the reason I haven't really noticed anything in terms of detox or side effects. This past week I've been more consistent, taking about 8-10 drops. I'm using the 5% stuff which works out to about 50-60mg. On the weekends I stop taking lugol's and do some heavy metal detox with EDTA and DMSA. Monday is back to lugol's and extra minerals and supplements to replenish what's leached out during the weekend.

Thanks for sharing. I've been struggling with Rosacea and redness/dryness/hives on my face and forearms for a few months. My naturopath recommended an herbal tincture for improving drainage for the spleen, lymph and liver (ingredient list can be found here). That did work for clearing up my arms and my face, but it seemed to be temporary since it started to come back on my face with a vengeance. I think that's a clue that some of these facial symptoms are due to some inefficient local detoxification.

Eventually I saw a doctor about it and they prescribed me oral doxycycline and topical metronidazole, and that the dermatologist would essentially just recommend the same. The doxycycline worked wonders, but the topical metro gel didn't seem to be as effective... and also due to non-medicinal components left a base on my skin that made the dryness and peeling seem a lot worse than it actually was. I ended up renewing my doxycycline prescription and was also told to use a lot of moisturizers. One brand recommended to me was CeraVe, which has hyaluronic acid, ceramides, vitamin D, and other things to prevent the dryness and redness. So doxy, the herbal tincture, and something to restore the skin moisture barrier seems to be working really well, at least until the doxy runs out.

The idea of using iodine on my face also occurred to me, but as my skin is quite fair it is somewhat visible when using lugol's idoine (5%), when I tested it out I basically replaced red with yellow. I'll take a note from you and dilute it down to maybe a tenth or twentieth of the strength and see if that is more sustainable and less noticeable in terms of visual side effects than renewing doxy prescriptions.

I strongly recommend everyone who wants to discuss the Iodine dosage, read links Gaby and others shared on first TWO pages of the current thread.
Thank you for providing a quote.
The standard dose of potassium iodide given was 1 gram, which contains 770 mg of iodine.
As you can see, what you quoted is potassium iodide, KI. Potassium iodide form of iodine is different than Lugol's form of iodine. I would not be surprised if most people can tolerate 1 gram of potassium iodide. It is completely different to compare tolerance of 1 gram of iodine in potassium iodide form as opposed to 1 gram of iodine in Lugol's form.

I bought the cream anyway but on the way home I was thinking, you know, iodine is an antibacterial maybe I should put some of that on my face. So at home we had some supplemental liquid potassium iodine (in glycerin and mild, only 150mcg) and I started using that instead. At first it didn't seem to do much but after a few days there was remarkable improvement.
The idea of using iodine on my face also occurred to me, but as my skin is quite fair it is somewhat visible when using lugol's idoine (5%), when I tested it out I basically replaced red with yellow.
Potassium iodide is clear in liquid, so I don't think it would cause skin staining. Lugol's is a dark color and causes skin staining. You could try duplicating the experiment with the same form of iodine as potassium iodide.

I strongly advise everyone to read the entire thread before starting on the iodine. Yes, Gaby's information, as always, is invaluable, BUT there were many people who reacted badly to the iodine, itself, or to larger doses - not only physically, but mentally. Some people were only able to take very small doses, like a drop on their heel every other day, or even only weekly.

Just quote the comments you talk about please, because I read most ofthe thread, and I didn't found one that would support your opinion. People react badly to small doses, that's a fact to support I found two comments, and I needed few minutes to randomly find it. So I bet you could do the same.

Everyone is NOT the same.

Everyone needs oxygen, water, salt and Iodine THE SAME. Those are basic nutritient for the body. If one of them is missing, body gets sick then dies.

What I don't understand, Kenny, is why you are so adamant that everyone do as you do?

Iodine protects from cancer and most of diseases. Especially when used daily in doses above 100 mg. What I don't understand is why you don't want everyone to be healthy? Do you have profits from sick people? And besides, I do not tell everyone to take Lugol, even in my home to my children. I just inform and observe who is wise and listen to advices.

Thanks for sharing. I've been struggling with Rosacea and redness/dryness/hives on my face and forearms for a few months. My naturopath recommended an herbal tincture for improving drainage for the spleen, lymph and liver (ingredient list can be found here). That did work for clearing up my arms and my face, but it seemed to be temporary since it started to come back on my face with a vengeance. I think that's a clue that some of these facial symptoms are due to some inefficient local detoxification.

Eventually I saw a doctor about it and they prescribed me oral doxycycline and topical metronidazole, and that the dermatologist would essentially just recommend the same. The doxycycline worked wonders, but the topical metro gel didn't seem to be as effective... and also due to non-medicinal components left a base on my skin that made the dryness and peeling seem a lot worse than it actually was. I ended up renewing my doxycycline prescription and was also told to use a lot of moisturizers. One brand recommended to me was CeraVe, which has hyaluronic acid, ceramides, vitamin D, and other things to prevent the dryness and redness. So doxy, the herbal tincture, and something to restore the skin moisture barrier seems to be working really well, at least until the doxy runs out.

The idea of using iodine on my face also occurred to me, but as my skin is quite fair it is somewhat visible when using lugol's idoine (5%), when I tested it out I basically replaced red with yellow. I'll take a note from you and dilute it down to maybe a tenth or twentieth of the strength and see if that is more sustainable and less noticeable in terms of visual side effects than renewing doxy prescriptions.

If this is the problem you wrote about:

_Systemic lupus erythematosus - Wikipedia

then you cannot apply iodine on the skin, because the problem comes from blood infection. Lugol should be used orally then in doses at least 100 mg daily. Iodine is acrid to the skin, especially weakened by some infection.
BTW, metronidazole is the best possible option if you don't have Lugol. Iodine is better because it protects from herx reactions.

Thank you for providing a quote.
As you can see, what you quoted is potassium iodide, KI. Potassium iodide form of iodine is different than Lugol's form of iodine. I would not be surprised if most people can tolerate 1 gram of potassium iodide. It is completely different to compare tolerance of 1 gram of iodine in potassium iodide form as opposed to 1 gram of iodine in Lugol's form.
Potassium iodide is clear in liquid, so I don't think it would cause skin staining. Lugol's is a dark color and causes skin staining. You could try duplicating the experiment with the same form of iodine as potassium iodide.

Most of the Iodine in Lugol's is just potassium iodide, rest is in the free iodine form. Lugol is better than potassium iodide alone, because it tastes better, it is much better antiseptic, ant it creates iodolipides which has tremendous healing potential. KI just is source of iodine for thyroid, and Iodine itself is a potent healing substance.
And I know from others, high doses of KI (1-2 grams daily) without proper dose increasing causes detox problems as well. Especially for people who has mercury or bromide problem. One gram of potassium iodide gives similar effects to 120 drops of 5% Lugol. But there have to be some precautions taken when taking Lugol's, what people often do not remember, like using it after fatty meal, or using salt in the morning before starting higher doses of iodine.

... BUT there were many people who reacted badly to the iodine, itself, or to larger doses - not only physically, but mentally. Some people were only able to take very small doses, like a drop on their heel every other day, or even only weekly

This is my comment from few pages earlier, when someone claimed bad reactions reports after higher doses too on this thread, and also without any sources:

Hi Kenny!
Everyone needs oxygen, water, salt and Iodine THE SAME. Those are basic nutritient for the body. If one of them is missing, body gets sick then dies.
And if one gets too much oxygen, one dies from pulmonary sclerosis / Mega doses of water or of salt can lead to death too.
Nobody said iodine is not good.

Iodine protects from cancer and most of diseases. Especially when used daily in doses above 100 mg. What I don't understand is why you don't want everyone to be healthy? Do you have profits from sick people? And besides, I do not tell everyone to take Lugol, even in my home to my children. I just inform and observe who is wise and listen to advices.

100 mg? You talked about doses of 500 mg and much more.
Listen to advices, okay, but not blindly. It's good to do research. Nienna doesn't say to avoid iodine, she is confident in the doses adviced by professionals i.e. the doses most of us follow. So, at the contrary, she cares about the people's health.

Just quote the comments you talk about please, because I read most ofthe thread, and I didn't found one that would support your opinion. People react badly to small doses, that's a fact to support I found two comments, and I needed few minutes to randomly find it. So I bet you could do the same.

So you can answer my questions now :-) :
1) a reference about the necessity of megadose?
2)
So, it's just feeding bugs? Bugs are yet fed with numerous nutriments and food we eat. Is it worth taking very high doses of iodine that can harm the body, just because we want to kill bugs? Is iodine able to discern between pathogenic bacterias and bacterias in our gut microbiota?

Just FYI, I got a cold recently and had plenty of Lugal's on hand. So I pushed up the dosage to the level Kenny is talking about doing basically 1000 mg doses several days in a row. I divided into 3 doses, morning, late afternoon and night. Now, I still have a cold (lol) but I had no trouble with the iodine. I can take it with or without food. Salt or no salt. I can take a 300 mg dose an hour or two before bed and sleep fine.

I'm not saying everyone should do that! But I have a feeling that if you can tolerate 200 or 300 mg doses than you can likely handle much more than that.

FWIW

100 mg? You talked about doses of 500 mg and much more.
Listen to advices, okay, but not blindly. It's good to do research. Nienna doesn't say to avoid iodine, she is confident in the doses adviced by professionals i.e. the doses most of us follow. So, at the contrary, she cares about the people's health.
So you can answer my questions now :-) :
1) a reference about the necessity of megadose?

As I wrote earlier, it's no use me trying to explain what I read in not-so-too-good -english, just make yourself a big favour and read the links just on the two first two pages of this thread as a introduction to iodine. Doctors practiced doses ranged 5-8 gram iodine dayily without any negative consequences. To treat leprose or syphilis the starting dose was about 1,5 gram daily. The same with plague or some other serious diseases. There are lots of references. High doses are needed to bring back health, to kill parasites, or to detox from some metals, especially mercury.
Doses on the 100 mg level are needed to sustain good health till death.

Last edited:

You are missing the point, it is not that we don't need Iodine as other nutrients, it is the way you recommend other to focus only on the first two pages and to take the rest as pointless without focusing and reading those pages first (not literally the way you said it but he way it sounded) what nienna meant to say is that not everyone is the same in the way that not everyone deals well with the same amount of iodine or the same intake of iodine, some even cannot take it as it is completely. So for you to recommend to focus and give only importance to those threads that gaby share at the beginning is kind of irresponsible because there is this entire thread where we investigate all the variables and the effects of this experiment. Actually is the purpose of the entire forum and every thread (at least the medical related ones)

You are missing the point, it is not that we don't need Iodine as other nutrients, it is the way you recommend other to focus only on the first two pages and to take the rest as pointless without focusing and reading those pages first (not literally the way you said it but he way it sounded) what nienna meant to say is that not everyone is the same in the way that not everyone deals well with the same amount of iodine or the same intake of iodine, some even cannot take it as it is completely. So for you to recommend to focus and give only importance to those threads that gaby share at the beginning is kind of irresponsible because there is this entire thread where we investigate all the variables and the effects of this experiment. Actually is the purpose of the entire forum and every thread (at least the medical related ones)

All you don't get the point - Iodine is dangerous in low doses - just as "professionals" advise. And then people have problems with iodine, and often give up. And everyone should use at least 100 mg Iodine daily or move out of Earth to other, non radioactive poluted planet, without artificial EM smog. Lower doses make people don't use Iodine, because of bad experience.
What we know about doses is that doses ranged between 3 and 8 grams were tested on hundreds of humans for many years without any adverse reactions. Dose about 1 gram daily is needed to fight most of diseases. Healthy people and children, to stay healthy and long live should use 100 mg daily. Instead of checking it, most of you fight me with own authoritarian thinking. And there are more sourcers indicating the necessity of high doses, but low doses are recomended by "modern" authorities, probably corrupted or ignorant.

Back
Top Bottom