Faces of Caesar

I hope it's the good place to share.
I went to the Vatican museum this summer and there is a tapestry of Caesar assassination by four assassins. Below the tapestry, a zoom on the text in the tapestry, and the legend from the museum.

1536783433101.png

1536783373057.png

1536783504020.png

Attachments

• 1536783179048.png
    1536783179048.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
I found two busts, but with no information on the date they were made.

One, a copy at least, in the Vatican museum :

1536785051733.png
1536784951412.png

And One in Firenze, in the museum "Galleria degli Uffizi" :

1536784784723.png
1536784753609.png

After the truly atrocious attempt to reconstruct Caesar's face here:

We have another attempt, this time using the Vatican bust seen in the post above (which probably dates from the reign of Augustus, if I remember correctly). So it's from the phase of idealized representations, but at least it's a nice-looking bust, and the reconstruction is way better than the above monstrosity:

And the video of the process at Facebook:

If you scroll down the replies to this tweet, you can find some funny face app modifications of the original.

Last edited:
Here's a modern interpretation of a younger Caesar recently posted on Twitter: "Julius Caesar looking like he enjoys a flat white and works as a senior manager in Google" :lol:

Note: If you follow the link and thread on Twitter there are other modern visualisations of historical figures such as Anne Boelyn, Alexander the Great, Napoleon, and so on.

I like the Arles bust and I don't agree with their assessment at all as to the "character" revealed.

Interested in getting a Caesar bust for my bookshelf, so preferably small in size.

Does anyone recommend a specific bust that can be bought online? I had a quick look but couldn't find the Arles one.

According to the ancient sources, Caesar (like Sulla) was blessed with the "Bloom of Venus", i.e. VERY HANDSOME.

So, people should keep that in mind when looking at supposed "recreations."

I, too, like the Arles bust the best and it certainly is of a handsome man.

Interested in getting a Caesar bust for my bookshelf, so preferably small in size.

Does anyone recommend a specific bust that can be bought online? I had a quick look but couldn't find the Arles one.

Pierre went to the museum at Arles and purchased a couple copies of the Arles bust. We had discussed doing some kind of computer wizardry and creating a mold to make "whole head" copies (it is flat on the back, like the original) to make available to group members. So far, we don't know how to do this, what software, etc. I think I could take a mold of it and make a new copy with the full back of the head added or someone else who is talented could do that, so we could have a master mold. I'd also like to blow it up to life size. It's about 1/4 life size.

Pierre went to the museum at Arles and purchased a couple copies of the Arles bust. We had discussed doing some kind of computer wizardry and creating a mold to make "whole head" copies (it is flat on the back, like the original) to make available to group members. So far, we don't know how to do this, what software, etc. I think I could take a mold of it and make a new copy with the full back of the head added or someone else who is talented could do that, so we could have a master mold. I'd also like to blow it up to life size. It's about 1/4 life size.
When I visited the museum with Chu and Niall several years ago, they also told us that whoever makes the copies used to make full-size copies too, but the museum stopped carrying them, I think because they didn't sell as well. Pretty sure we even got the contact info for whoever made the copies back then, but I don't think they replied. They've also had 3D scans made of the bust, so someone somewhere has all the stuff needed. I just wish we could get ahold of their files, and a copy of that full-size bust!

As I was reading this, I just remembered that I actually know a lady from a museum/art association here that organises visits to Arles during the summer. I will ask them if next time they go they bring one back.

If we do find a modeler, I think it would be nice to have them fix the nose and ears. Here's a good 3D model of the Arles bust:

I looked for paintings of the Arles bust, but there don't seem to be many. It's like when I search for a painting or cover of a song and wonder, "Geez, do I have to do this myself?"

If we do find a modeler, I think it would be nice to have them fix the nose and ears. Here's a good 3D model of the Arles bust:

I looked for paintings of the Arles bust, but there don't seem to be many. It's like when I search for a painting or cover of a song and wonder, "Geez, do I have to do this myself?"

The bust looks like it was meant to attach to a wall. I wonder what else is hidden in the river where it was found.

I found the Aries bust to seem more detailed and life-like and I do see the resemblance with Ark.

The one picture of the bust found at "the bottom of the Rhône in the southern town of Arles, which Caesar founded in 46BC" seemed to be more detailed and less stylized to me it was from a blurry picture in an article and is the same one AI posted earlier. Since it is the oldest found to date I can't help but think it is probably closest to reality. It would be interesting if a 3D model could even repair the damaged nose and ears.

caesar256.jpg

It looks like Caesar got his nose broken in a fight. Soldiers! Sigh. They are just such brawlers.

I've always seen Ark (Laura's husband) as more in the role of Aristotle or a Plato. More of a subversive than a 'hero' or 'leader', if you know what I mean? I admire both of course. It's just that in this lifetime, the subversive tends to be more influential and more interesting to me. They teach people. What could be more powerful?

Back
Top Bottom