Romantic Fiction, Reality Shaping and The Work

I'm starting the fourth book in the Westcott series. And this series is definitely one of my favorites so far.

In the last third of the book "Someone to Wed", I passed
from tears to laughter without any transition. It is these kinds of emotions aroused that make some books so precious and exceptional for me.

I will have to wait until the beginning of December to read the fifth book in the series which will be released in French.

After about forty books, I unfortunately come to the end of the list of recommended books which are translated into French. So a little more than a third.

It might be a good opportunity to learn better English by reading in English even if you have to use a translator/dictionary.

This fourth book of the "Huxtable' series is possibly the best one I've read so far! I remember Mari was not too fond of it, but it's really engaging me on multiple levels.

I loved it too! Still on the fifth volume, but Nr.3 and 4 to me are really good Balogh's so far. On Nr. 3 I appreciated the characters honesty from the beginning, and in Nr.4 Balogh's description of a mask built from trauma, and how it melted little by little as the main female character got positive experiences, not to mention that Stephen was such a nice and patient while firm gentleman.

[/QUOTE]
It might be a good opportunity to learn better English by reading in English even if you have to use a translator/dictionary.
Regarding using a translator/dictionary, below are some ideas I have tried in various situations. In general, it is quicker to get help with the language if one uses a digital book.

Regency Romance novels mostly do not have a very complicated vocabulary, but they often have a number of words not frequently encountered, as some authors use archaic words and expressions to bury their readers in the feel of the Regency Era.

To become familiar with the vocabulary in an easy way, one can use the Kindle dictionary, which also works on Kindle for PC. Sometimes this approach draws a blank, which may be due to slang words. In this case try Regency Lingo

If one reads on a computer using Epub/Adobe Digital Editions, then using a dictionary is less easy, I have found. One needs to select the word, then copy and paste it into the search or translation field of an online dictionary. Sometimes I also use this method, when reading on Kindle for PC, as it allows me to get the pronunciation. The process of looking up words can go quicker if one uses keyboard shortcuts.

Alternatively, one can write new words down on a piece of paper or digitally in say Sticky notes, and later use Google Translate or Microsoft Translator or DeepL to mass translate the new words. The disadvantage of this method is that a number of words may have a special meaning determined by the context.

In case one needs more help than just a few words, then one can copy whatever is displayed on a page, be it Kindle or Epub etc., and enter the text into the translation engines one is familiar with.

Finished Scarlett Scott's Sins and Scoundrel series and absolutely loved it!

I am going to take a break from the romance novels as my 'other book pile' is growing at a fast rate! My plan is to keep the romance novels as sort of a long term project - I am going to alternate other books with romance novels. I find that I need a constant dose of romance novels to keep my sanity in these times, but I also don't want to neglect my other reading.

I find that I need a constant dose of romance novels to keep my sanity in these times, but I also don't want to neglect my other reading.

Same. And with focus on so many other types of books over the years, and after keeping tabs on articles and work stuff (covid leaning) all day long, these novels have been a wonderful reprieve at the end of the day.

Above had mentioned Balogh's Bedwyn series starting with the book with Lily, with Gwen staying somewhat steady throughout its pages. This book was a little deeper than some in terms of differences. and in letting go of some form of inadequacies and seeing oneself in a new way and working towards it. Thought the book a powerful story.

Started the second one 'A Summer to Remember' which picks up on the fist. There is further discovery of Gwen from just after her incidents in life that later she had told her new husband, Hugo. However this is also about the jilted bride from the wedding in the fist book, Lauren (a childhood friend of Gwen's). It is also the story of a rakehell character (the Earl of Ravenshead), by ton standards - these two complete opposites, wounded in their own ways. There is Gwen's aunt Elizabeth (cool lady), the Duke of Portfrey et cetera. So far it has been an interesting read, and one can see how Balogh's later books were synchronized. I'm also actually glad to have read the Survivor Club series fist and then to have come back and seen more of those character roots (select few for now).

I failed to include what I wanted as a spoiler so as not to overload the thread in my previous post for French speakers. So I try again!

The titles of books in French are generally very different from the original version, here is their list to find them more easily, if it helps those who are interested:
I added a column for french titles in our Novel list document and updated what you posted. you can also update them here

Above had mentioned Balogh's Bedwyn series starting with the book with Lily, with Gwen staying somewhat steady throughout its pages. This book was a little deeper than some in terms of differences. and in letting go of some form of inadequacies and seeing oneself in a new way and working towards it. Thought the book a powerful story.
I am wondering whether to add Bedwyn prequel books ( One night for love and A Summer to Remember) or not. They look relevant to the Survivor's club and you seems to be recommending them.

As per Balogh's website, these two books are categorized as Bedwyn Prequel for Bedwyn series( 6 books). But other platforms like Amazon/overdrive categorized as Bedwyn series/saga ( 8 books) depending on the platform.

Based on the timeline perspective, it does looks like Bedwyn Prequel came first, then it was combined with Bedwyn series books, then came Survivors club( some additions later).

Hi!

I just ordered four of the recommended books and this will be the first time for me reading books of this kind. I have had a lot of inner resistance, but with all that is going on now I think it can be a good relief from the stress/madness. Maybe it will also change something positiv in me in the way I interact with life. I had to laugh when I was checking the final order and saw all the book covers that I had bought :lol:But I trust in Laura and the men on this site that have been reading for awhile and had a positive experience.

I pray that we will be able to pull through and get into another reality where the principals of this forum and group are what we live by.

Thank you to everyone who have participated in this thread.

Take care and stay safe :-)

I have had a lot of inner resistance, but with all that is going on now I think it can be a good relief from the stress/madness. Maybe it will also change something positiv in me in the way I interact with life.
:lol::lol:
I hear ya, Odin.
I think most of us felt some kind of resistence when starting to read such romance material. Many admitted to being book snobs.
I still turn the book I'm reading around at work so noone can see the cover. And some covers make me cringe with embarrasment as the cover of 'The Proposal' for example.
But you did the first step and ... it's too late now....change's ahead.
Have fun!

Speaking of which, what does "fit of the vapors mean?"

In archaic usage, the vapours (or vapors) is a reference to certain mental, psychical, or physical states,[1] such as hysteria, mania, clinical depression, bipolar disorder, lightheadedness, fainting, flush, withdrawal syndrome, mood swings, or PMS, where a sufferer lost mental focus. Ascribed primarily to women and thought to be caused by internal emanations (vapours) from the womb, it was related to the concept of female hysteria. The word "vapours" was subsequently used to describe a depressed or hysterical nervous condition.[2]

Over 4000 years of history, this disease was considered from two perspectives: scientific and demonological. It was cured with herbs, sex or sexual abstinence, punished and purified with fire for its association with sorcery and finally, clinically studied as a disease and treated with innovative therapies. However, even at the end of 19th century, scientific innovation had still not reached some places, where the only known therapies were those proposed by Galen. The evolution of these diseases seems to be a factor linked with social "westernization", and examining under what conditions the symptoms first became common in different societies became a priority for recent studies over risk factor.[3]

Today, the phrase "a case of the vapors" is most often used either melodramatically or for comedic effect.

Victorian era
In the Victorian era, a variety of conditions which affected women were referred to as "a case of the vapours". A Treatise of Vapours or Hysterick Fits,[4] by John Purcell, published in 1707, describes the various conditions described as "vapours", with treatments.

A description of someone having "a case of the vapours" was sometimes used for a person in a state of emotional agitation.[5]

So, making a scene, acting all histeric, having PMS. ;-) That's how I understand it at least.

Back
Top Bottom