Blood Type Diet - Peter d'Adamo

Z...

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Ruth said:
Blood Type Diet Book
Whatever we discuss this book keeps popping up and I ve been listening baout it for years so I guess I will have to read it

can somoene give exact title and name of the author pls

- Book: Eat Right 4 Your Type
- The Blood Type Diet from Peter D'Adamo

Just google and you will find ;)

Deckard said:
Whatever we discuss this book keeps popping up and I ve been listening baout it for years so I guess I will have to read it

can somoene give exact title and name of the author pls
You can start by giving me your 'type' and I'll give you the 'dirty and lowdown' on your type.... or, you can order it for all your most annoying and conservative relatives and insist on borrowing the book from them... There's nothing like interaction for learning. And you never know when it will come in handy sometimes. Besides, they may actually lean something from it. It's a bit like 'sliced bread' you know, depending on the grain, of course.

http://www.dadamo.com/books.htm

Honestly! This man!!! I googled the "Eat Right 4 Your Type" and all I got was... advertising, advertising and more... 3rd density sts bs....

If its 'good' it doesn't need to be 'sold', it will sell itself.... What is wrong with him?

Ok how about 0 + ( is Rh factor important or not? )

and btw thanks

Ruth said:
On the veggie scale, the humble Sprout from Brussels rates an 'avoid' for blood type O
YESS, that is exactly what I needed to hear! Sorry Mum, but they're just not my type...

But what do they call them in Brussels?

Sprouts are pretty benign taste-wise when growing up. I had a strong dislike for sorrel and cooked belgian endive instead.

Here is a link to a quick and dirty food list for different blood types. I found it useful but I suggest you try it and modify as you go along. For example, oats are listed as beneficial for blood types AB and B, neutral for blood type A and avoid for blood type O. However some people may find that the bloatedness that comes along from eating oats may be uncomfortable and so, after experimenting with it for awhile, I try to avoid it although if I had no other choice, than I would go for the oats. I've been following it more or less and I must report that overall it has been okay for me. I've also given this list to other people and some have reported very good results, like being more alert and having more energy, etc. Sometimes, just by dropping or including an item from the list seems to be of great value for some people. Happy experimenting.

Thanks Vulacan.
But after I carefully studied the whole list I have to say I am not buying it.

I havent read the book and I dont know what principles were utilized to determine appropriate food for each type. I am guessing O type being the oldest should utilize food that was accesible to hunter gatherer early human still even in that case the list doesnt make much sense.

Now my reasoning is - your body will always tell you whats good for it and whats not. Sometimes this telling is obvious and somtimes its subtle but sooner or later, if you are conscious enough you get the picture.
So I am an O type, and I do love meat, so much so that sometimes I crave raw meet ( please do not call me psychopat). Veal liver is my favourite, true. Aubergines are only vegetables that I wouldnt touch with six foot pole.
This is as far as this list is accurate in my case.

According to this diet I should avoid oats at any cost and really I cant start the day without oats.

Not to mention the milk and dairy products, sometimes I drink 1L per day.

Or I couldnt possibly imagine never again eating octopus, cashew nuts , brazil nuts, olives, cantalope and strawberries. And so on and so forth.
In short these are all foods that make my body feel good.

I am 37 and I never had any health problems. Actually I noticed that oats have beneficial effect on my digestive system.

Also I find it difficult to beleive that strenous exercise is to be avoided by all blood types other then O.

Therefore it would be interesting to hear what kind of logic and research was employed when this blod-type diet was invented.

I just browsed abit around this Dr. Dadamo's site

and I have to say I am far from being convinced, no actual research data, no proper explanation of principles, but plenty of gadgets to purchase :(

Is this just yet another fad diet?

Session 981031 said:
Q: (A) I want to ask about this blood type diet. My opinion is that this is a silly book and it has nothing to do with reality... (L) It's working for F****... (A) Well, what about this book? I have the idea that the author just invented stuff out of his head. Am I right?
A: Not really, but the Rh factor hones it in better.
As I mentioned, it seems to work for some people and not for others. I suggest to experiment and then refine the list to suit your needs. Note, from the above quote, this blood type food is not really all rubbish and I have yet to find information on how or in what way the RH factor plays apart.

Deckard said:

and I have to say I am far from being convinced, no actual research data, no proper explanation of principles, but plenty of gadgets to purchase :(

According to Dr. D'Adamo it was his father who found this out by comparing notes about patients at his clinic about what they liked to eat with what kind of blood type they were. And there was more dependency than his father expected to see. That's the only real thing, everything else are just helpless explanations to hide that in fact even D'Adamo doesn't really know why this happened. The rest is just hype from the slender craziness.

It's not a diet IMO because you can always eat a lot of things, but maybe not those you're used to. The main thing is I think:

A: Fish and vegetables, no meat and wheat.
B: Milkproducts, fish
0: Lots of meat, fish, no milkproducts
AB: some mix of A and B

Deckard said:
Ok how about 0 + ( is Rh factor important or not? )

and btw thanks
The Cs said it was, but D'Adamo has not factored in the Rh factor.

I'm not sure about copywrite here. I'll try and keep it brief.
Type of is 'The Hunter': Meat eater; Hardy digestive tract; Overactive immune system; Intolerant to dietary and environmental adaptations; Responds best to stress with intesnse physical activity; Requires and efficient metabolism to stay lean and energetic.
Foods that encourage weight gain:
Weat gluten - Corn - Kidney Beans - Nav Beans - Lentils - Cabbage - Brussels Sprouts - Cauliflower - Mustard Greens

Foods that encourage weight loss:
Kelp - Seafood - Iodized Salt - Liver - Red Meat - Kale, Spinach & Broccoli

Iodine for thyroid function is important for O types.

I've left out 'neutral' foods'
Meat & Poultry
Highly Beneficial: Beef, Heart, Mutton, Lamb, Veal, Buffalo, Liver, Venison

Avoid: Bacon, Ham, Goose, Pork

Seafood
Higly Beneficial: Bluefish, rainbow trout, stiped bass, cod, hake, halibut, herring, mackerel, pike, red snapper, salmon, sardine, shad, snapper, sole, striped bass, sturgeon, swordfish, tilefish, white perch, whitefish, yellow perch, yellowtail

Avoid: Barracuda, Herring (pickled), Catfish, Lox (smoked salmon) Caviar, Octopus, Conch

Dairy and Eggs
Only Neutral and Avoid here.
Neutral: Butter, Mozzarella, Farmer, Feta, Goat cheese (yuck!) Soy cheese, Soy milk

Avoid: Everything else

Oils and Fats
Highly Beneficial: Linseed (flaxseed) oil, Olive oil

Avoid: Corn, Cottonseed, Peanut and Safflower oil

Nuts and Seeds
Highly Beneficial: Pumpkin seeds and Walnuts

Avoid: Brazil, Cashew Litchi, Peanuts, Peanut butter, Pistachios and poppy seeds

Bean and Legumes
Highly Beneficial: Aduke, Azuki, and Pinto beans, Black-eyed Peas

Avoid: Copper, Kidney, Navy, Tamarind beans and lentils - domestic, green and red.

Cereals
Only Neutral and Avoid here

Avoid: Cornflakes, Farina, Wheat bran, Cornmeal, Grape nuts, Wheat germ, cream of wheat, Seven-grain, Familia and Shredded wheat

Bread and Muffins
Highly Beneficial: Essene and Ezekiel Bread (never heard of them!)

Avoid: Wheat bagels, Wheat matzos, Wheat bran, Corn muffins, Multi-grain bread, muffins, Durum wheat, Pumpernickel, Whole wheat bread, English muffins sprouted wheat bread, High-protein bread.

Grains and Pasta
"There are no grains or pastas that could be classified highly beneficial for Type Os."
Neutral: Barley flour, Quinoa, Rice flour, Rye flour, Spelt flour, Buckwheat, Kasha, Rice (all types) Oat flour, artichoke pasta.

Avoid: Bulgur wheat flour, Gluten flour, spinach pasta, Couscous flour, Graham flour, Sprouted wheat flour, Durum wheat flour, Soba noodles, White flour, Semolina pasta, Whole wheat flour.

Veggies
Highly Beneficial: Artichoke - Domestic and Jerusalem, Collard greens, Kohlrabi, Leek, Dandelion, Romaine Lettuce, Beet Leaves, Garlic, Escarole, Okra, Broccoli, Horsefacish, Onions - Red, Spanish and Yellow, Kale, Chicory, Red Peppers, Seaweed, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Swish Chard, Parsley, Parsnips, Pumpkin & Turnips

Avoid: Avocado, Eggpland, Olives - Greek, Spanish & black, Cabbage - Chinese, red and white. Mushrooms - domestic and shiitake. Potatoes - red & white. Cauliflower, Corn - white & yellow, mustard greens, alfalfa sprouts and Brussels Sprouts

Fruit
Highly Beneficial: Dried Figs, Dark Plumbs, Red Plumbs, Fresh Figs, Green Plums and Prunes

Avoid: Blackberries, Honeydew Melon, Rhbarb, Coconuts, Oranges, Stawberries, Cantaloupe Melon, lantains and Tangerines

Large group of 'Neutral'.

Juices & Fluids
Highly Beneficial: Black Cherry, Pineapple, Prune

Avoid: Apple, Cabbage, Apple cider and Orange juice.

Spices
Highly Beneficial: Carob, curry, dulse, kelp, cayenne pepper, turmeric & parsley.

Avoid: Capers, white pepper, cinnamon, vanilla, cornstarch, apple vinegar, corn syrup, nutmeg, ground black pepper, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and white vinegar.

Condiments
"There are no highly beneficial condiments for Types Os. He recomends replacement with olive oil, lemon juice and garlic.

Avoid: Ketchup, Kosher pickles, sour pickles, relish, sweet pickles, dill pickles and mayonnaise

Herbal Teas
Highly Beneficial: Cayenne, hops, rose hips, chickweed, linden, sarsaparilla, dandelion, mulberry, slippery elm, fenugreek, parsley, ginger and peppermint.

Avoid: alfalfa, echinacea, saint-John's-wor, aloe, gentian, senna, burdock, goldenseal, shepherd's purse, coltsfoot, read clover, stawberry leaf, corn silk, fhubarb and yellow dock

Beverages
Highly Beneficial: Seltzer water
Neutral: Beer, green tea, red and white wine
Avoid: regular coffee, decaf coffee, distilled liquor, cola soda, diet soda or any other soda, black decaf tea and regular black tea.
Hmm, so its not all beer and skittles. A lot of things that people actually like isn't that good for them.

Deckard said:

I too was a bit underwhelmed by Dr D'Adamos rampant capitalism. Is almost as if his idea had been stamped with 'the mark of the beast'. That should not be a reason to reject the science of the idea just because a person (or his culture) has been overun by the desire to make money. D'Adamo brings up lectins, which are "abundant and diverse protiens found in foods, have agglutinating properties that affect your blood. Lectins are a powerful way for oganisms in nature to attach themselves to other organisms in nature. Lots of germs, and even our own immune systems, use this super glue to their benefit..... however.... Many food lectins have characterisitcs that are close enought to a certain blood type antigen to make it an 'enemy' to another".....

And naturally when you ingest foods which is seen by the body to have 'enemy' like qualities, the body must 'detox' it or deactivate it.

Deckard said:
Actually I noticed that oats have beneficial effect on my digestive system.
I think you will find that the following are neutral and therefore not damaging:
Neutral: Barley flour, Quinoa, Rice flour, Rye flour, Spelt flour, Buckwheat, Kasha, Rice (all types) Oat flour, artichoke pasta.
Somewhere in there oats are included.

I'm beginning to wonder if Os are plagued (more than others) by immune problems (which can eventually have an effect on the GIT, despite the fact that Os are supposed to have robust GITs.) and underactive thyroid problems - which causes weight gain.

If this is the case you would expect to see more Os than most having problems such as food allergies, dermatitis, asthma, hay fever and athritis (do these things get worse with age?). Also, the potential for weight problems due to underactive thyroid gland.

Deckard said:
Also I find it difficult to beleive that strenous exercise is to be avoided by all blood types other then O.
Not necessarily, its just that Os do best when they can exercise strenously.

Ruth said:
Deckard said:

I too was a bit underwhelmed by Dr D'Adamos rampant capitalism. Is almost as if his idea had been stamped with 'the mark of the beast'. That should not be a reason to reject the science of the idea just because a person (or his culture) has been overun by the desire to make money.
What do you mean with rejecting the science of the idea? What science?

ArdVan said:
According to Dr. D'Adamo it was his father who found this out by comparing notes about patients at his clinic about what they liked to eat with what kind of blood type they were. And there was more dependency than his father expected to see.
And that is all of the research to it ? I am not saying it wouldn't be interesting to do research into possible relation with blood types, but that still has to be done it seems, and I don't think that such research should be based on what people are liking or not.

You see, I also like coffee and beer, and meat and almost all vegetables, and I very much like

BRUSSELS SPROUTS !!! which we call "spruitjes".

Here is the way we make it.

With a sharp knife you make a cross-formed incision on the bottom of the stem side as cooking of this part would otherwise take longer. Once they are cooked, and I prefer them well done, collect them on a sieve. Add a little bit of butter in the same pot, put back on the fire, add chopped up fumed bacon, and bake them till crispy. Then add the "spruitjes" back, add a little bit of pepper (preferably black), and some nutmeg (preferably freshly rasped). Turn over the mix by shaking the pot. Dalicious!

I read that Brussels Sprouts are neutral for blood type A which I HAVE to translate as good and positive for otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to eat very much according to Dadamo's diet.

As an aside, despite me having A+ I have had hay fever since I was six. Only the passed three years it has been subsiding a lot, and oncoming symptoms I can neutralize at the origin with pycnogenol which is a grape seed extract.

Ruth said:
D'Adamo brings up lectins, which are "abundant and diverse protiens found in foods, have agglutinating properties that affect your blood. Lectins are a powerful way for oganisms in nature to attach themselves to other organisms in nature. Lots of germs, and even our own immune systems, use this super glue to their benefit..... however.... Many food lectins have characterisitcs that are close enought to a certain blood type antigen to make it an 'enemy' to another".....
Yes that is a good point. But I think that there should be some research into this.

Back
Top Bottom