A Catastrophe of Comets

DragonHunter said:
[...] once you figure out what the geo-ablative beast's wind-driven footprints look like, you'll see that they are as common as the craters on the moon. [...]

At first this information can generate sheer terror and depression. Then again, this helps to realize to Live every day with as much "Life" as possble so as to have no regrets.
Eyes Wide Open, more and more...

Laura said:
"What is so satisfying about your work, Dragonhunter, is that you came to it strictly via research... I was guided to it by the Cs and only after started collecting the data."

Thanks Laura,

To be guided to it would've saved me a few thousand hours of intense eye strain, and independant study. But the path to discovery has been the journey of a lifetime. If I could start from the beginning, and learn it all over again, the only thing I would change is to start sooner.

DragonHunter said:
Thanks Laura,

To be guided to it would've saved me a few thousand hours of intense eye strain, and independant study. But the path to discovery has been the journey of a lifetime. If I could start from the beginning, and learn it all over again, the only thing I would change is to start sooner.

Haha its true. Good blog, I am gonna show it to those sceptics and supposedly geo professors.

Thanks Dragonhunter for the thousands of hours research that you share here with all of us.

At first this information can generate sheer terror and depression. Then again, this helps to realize to Live every day with as much "Life" as possble so as to have no regrets. Eyes Wide Open, more and more...

Amen to that Al Today.

I just checked out your blog, DragonHunter, and wow -- there's a lot there, and I look forward to reading all of your entries. Thanks for all you've done and making it available to the rest of us!

DragonHunter said:
For those who're interested, I just put up a new page titled 'If not by impact, then what?'.
It's got a few more examples of undocumented craters in New Mexico, and west Texas. http://craterhunter.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/if-not-by-impact-then-what/

Great post! I thought you made an excellent point that if this was any other planet in the solar system scientists would have considered these scars in New Mexico and Texas the result of impacts by now.

Thanks,

I think a large part of their reluctance to acknowledge the existence of all those small craters in the southwest, is because mainstream planetary science is a little too fond of the hypothesis that you can estimate the age of a planetary surface by counting the number of craters. There is an awful lot of planetary chronology that’s founded on the assumption that impacts happen at a steady rate. So the very idea of a cluster impact event plays hell with their thinking.

Thanks to more than a century, and a half, of uniformitarian / gradualist assumptive reasoning in the Earth Sciences, they assume without question that all planetary surfaces in the solar system are subjected to a steady flux of impacts. They also assume that a normal catastrophic impact event is a single, large bolide. And that such catastrophes are the rarest of the rare.

But the crater fields of the American Southwest that we can see clearly with Google Earth, and which are all in the same very good condition tell us their assumptions of a slow, and steady, impact rate are a naïve as a children's fairy tail.

El pinacate in Altar desert, Sonora.

vulcans or impacts of meteors?

In this place, in the sixties the U.S. astronauts were doing tests or rehearsals before they fly to the moon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGukYN0cd68

As everyone here said it before me, you have done your researchs DragonHunter. And yes your blog is very well documented.

Just some thoughts tho, why only comets or fallen body from space? I mean here what would produce an explosion of the caldera in yellowstone? Debris would fly away a few miles if not a few hundreds miles in every directions thus making such impacts making them looking like meteors from peoples seeing them coming out of the sky for the last time as i am not sure if anyone would survive this kind of blast.

I did not made others research on where are the others calderas but I know they are a few others as well than yellowstone. Could Rainier mountain be one of them? Then again.. boom... and away all the debris, rocks....

caballero reyes said:
El pinacate in Altar desert, Sonora.

vulcans or impacts of meteors?

In this place, in the sixties the U.S. astronauts were doing tests or rehearsals before they fly to the moon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGukYN0cd68

Wow! A couple of years of flying over those terrains in Google Earth, and studying geologic maps really doesn't bring home just how breathtaking the scenery down there can be. The video is a real treat. Thanks!

When you tally up the amount of ignimbrites down there, and the actual volcanic vents, you come up short. Only about 15% of the ignimbrites can be attributed to a vent. And in the satellite views, the remaining, pristine, 'Orphan' materials show wind-driven patterns of flow in their emplacement. The little volcanoes in the region were popping off like champagne corks at a wedding party during the violence of the impact storm.

Thanks for such a breathtaking video Caballero.
And DragonHunter, a million thanks for all your research and effort to bring us this knowledge.
And thank you Laura, for providing a venue so knowledge such as DragonHunter's and others can be disseminated to the rest of us.

Great Blog Dragonhunter and wonderful collection of information,will be jumping in to read as often as i can.

Thank you for Sharing. :)

Back
Top Bottom