Almost creepily accurate 'Color Oracle'

Amazingly accurate, detailed and straight to the point without much "beating around the bush" like many other oracles, who use a much softer, vague or ambiguous wording.
Makes me want to find out more about its inner working.
Thank you for sharing, kalibex.

etezete said:
yes this helps! thank you very much for your advice and your compassion. I will look for the book you recommended and will follow the link you offered. And you are absolutely right that self hatred is something that drains energy very quickly from me, it is literally exhausting until there seems nothing left. And because of selfishly diving into books and internet for research I simply forget that I need good company. Being lonely much of your time is not a very good idea for someone with depression.

Sometimes good company or friends are hard to find, and fit in with our own personal lives. I've found even going to a local coffee shop to do some reading has that 'in company' effect to a certain degree. It sort of just gets you out there, out of the 4 walls and the mild noise and talk of passers by gives a different feel to sitting in the same room when reading or on the free wi-fi!

I liked this. Very spot on in certain aspects. Especially the first few chosen colors.

Since it's on astro.com, I would recommend the site anyway. I have been using certain types of astrological Horoskope analysis on this site for 12 years, and I find it the best such site on the internet.

I also recommend the Astro Click Portrait option, even for those generally not interested in astrology. The interpretations are from Robert Hand.

Yeah, mine was pretty accurate too. But I wonder what our reactions would be if we could read all possible responses. Would there be some that simply do NOT fit our current situation? Or would they also apply to us, on the whole? In other words, is the 'pool' of responses catered towards applying to a wide section of people, so that the chances are that any collection of responses will seem to apply to that person individually?

Approaching Infinity said:
Yeah, mine was pretty accurate too. But I wonder what our reactions would be if we could read all possible responses. Would there be some that simply do NOT fit our current situation? Or would they also apply to us, on the whole? In other words, is the 'pool' of responses catered towards applying to a wide section of people, so that the chances are that any collection of responses will seem to apply to that person individually?

I've also wondered about this 'answer bank' that these tools have, including horoscopes and such. With all the ones I've done in the past, I'm sure a lot of people could apply everyone's independent answer to their own life in some degree.
I've noticed a sort of tendency to make them fit somewhat. An example could be if it mentions money, a voice pops up confirming ''yeah, you could be in a better financial situation''. A lot of them seem to be quite vague, and touch on a handful of problematic topics everyone deals with day to day.

I took this test - and it seemed rather familiar to a book and set of cards I used to have over 20 years ago. Turns out this color oracle is very much like the Lüscher color test invented by Dr. Max Lüscher in Basel, Switzerland.

There is a website based on this work where you can take the test - here is some basic information from the site:

The Lüscher-Color-Diagnostic measures a person's psycho-physical state, his or her ability to withstand stress, to perform, and to communicate. It uncovers the cause of psychological stress, which can lead to physical symptoms. Using 5015 precise definitions, the selections from among these pre-determined test colors measure the state of 34 personality traits, some of which lie outside the realm of the conscious. Because the color selections are guided in an unconscious manner, they reveal the person as he or she really is, and not as he or she perceives him - or herself, or as he, or she would like to be perceived, which occurs when questions are asked directly or by questionnaires. The result of the LÜSCHER COLOR-DIAGNOSTIC contains indications pertaining to personal assessment and special, professional recommendations as to how psychological stress and the resulting physical symptoms can be avoided.

Might be interesting to compare the two and see if there are any parallels.

Edit - just realized that the Luscher site only gives a small sample, but there is another site where you can take the full test.

I have also found it very insightful. So far, I've "consulted" it twice; each time I found out much of value. Basically, the first time around, it helped me see the issues described in Aleta Edwards' Fear of the Abyss from a different perspective. It made a number of things click, and was one part of what led to some fairly recent and useful efforts. The second time, it reflected the changes I'd experienced in attitude and the way I felt overall, though it also made clearer much that remained to work with.

Since this is posted in the Psychology & Cognitive Science Board .........

Forer/Barnum effect

In 1948, psychologist Bertram R. Forer gave a psychology test—his Diagnostic Interest Blank—to a group of his psychology students who were told that they would each receive a brief personality vignette or sketch based on their test results. One week later Forer gave each student a purportedly individualized sketch and asked each of them to rate it on how well it applied. In reality, each student received the same sketch, consisting of the following items:

1. You have a great need for other people to like and admire you.
2. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself.
3. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage.
4. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them.
5. Your sexual adjustment has presented problems for you.
6. Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside.
7. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.
8. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations.
9. You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof.
10. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others.
11. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved.
12. Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic.
13. Security is one of your major goals in life.

On average, the students rated its accuracy as 4.26 on a scale of 0 (very poor) to 5 (excellent). Only after the ratings were turned in was it revealed that each student had received an identical sketch assembled by Forer from a newsstand astrology book. The sketch contains statements that are vague and general enough to apply to most people.

I did the color oracle in order to experiment. I am not very sensitive to colors - so a question "what color you find most pleasant/unpleasant" does not really ring bells in me. In general I chose lighter and brighter shades as pleasant colors and dark shades as unpleasant colors.

Here is the report I got from the color oracle:

Pleasant colors:

Of great importance to you now is ... relaxing favorite past time . {reference to light blue}
When the difficulties of daily life or human interaction become too much, you prefer to retreat to your favorite pastime, a quiet hobby or into the world of your thoughts, dreams and fantasies.If you try to achieve the necessary balance to daily routine through a regular practice of meditation, you will find what you have actually been looking for: inner detachedness and peace. It would also be ideal if you could occasionally spend time in the great outdoors . You believe a particular help in achieving the inner peace you desire is ....

making pleasurable contacts. {reference is to a bright shade of yellow}
You would like to leave everything unpleasant and burdensome behind qnd to relax spending time with nice, open-minded people with whom you can have a good conversation or undertake some activity that raises your spirits and takes your mind off things. Now and again, you need the stimulation of variety and the opportunity to break out of your daily routine. You now feel that hanging your head would not be as for you as ...

optimistic self-encouragement. {reference is to light pink}
Again and again you consciously adopt a positive inner attitude. This helps you to better stand up under the hardships of the present. You create goals, projects or ideals for yourself that give you a boost and the hope that your life will be better and happier. You search for ways and means which allow you to enjoy life without care and to spend more time devoting yourself to the things that bring you joy. In order to forge ahead in good spirits you now need ...

objective assessment of the situation. {a light aqua blue green }
Whatever you perceive - people, things or information - you analyze it, both critically and with a certain amount of skepticism, because you want to be certain whether it is beneficial to you or not. You are not easily misled, and in line with the motto "once bitten twice shy", you keep your distance from everything that could damage your wallet, your reputation, or your peace of mind. One thing is utterly clear to you; your present situation requires ...

purposeful improvement in the situation . {orange}
You need an activity, contacts or experiences which fulfill and enrich you. You can find inspiration in anything that makes your life colorful, intense and exciting. You demand optimum quality of life, and you work purposefully towards improving your living situation. If you wish to do this for other people as well, your efforts will be even more meaningful. Your optimism and ambition will spur you on to do so. The thing you now determinedly strive for is ...

enrichment through expanding your horizons. {light green}

With senses on alert, you seek contacts, knowledge and information which open the door to better opportunities for an interesting and entertaining life. For this reason, you probably spend some of your time in front of the screen. You are prepared to learn anything as long as it can be practically applied and it serves your personal development. Other topics which may be relevant for you now are a change of lifestyle, of scenery or of your occupational situation.

Unpleasant colors
At the moment you feel most anxious due to your ...
heavy burden of problems. {black}
You feel burdened by personal problems that are not easy to solve. Your biggest problem, however, is one you create through your belief that the source of your problems lies outside of yourself. In truth, it is your conscious mind with its convictions, desires and fears which generates the problems and conflicts and what is more, claims it can't do anything about this, but is nonetheless willing to solve them. The thing you prefer not to admit to is your ..

worrisome apprehension . {dark grey}
You are conscientious and take your tasks seriously. You often spend time pondering what you should do and how you should do it, so that everything turns out well. Even when something is going just fine, you can still be suddenly afflicted with the fear that something could go wrong or something bad could happen that would ruin everything. At the same time, though, you certainly would never admit that often you become worried far too easily and paint a very pessimistic picture. At the moment you are worried by your

uncomfortable immobility. {dark brown}
There are times at which you feel as if you were chained to people or circumstances which restrict your personal freedom to act and move. You can get itchy when your affairs move slowly as a result of or when you have to wait so long for the fulfillment of your wishes out of consideration for others. You also feel uneasy due to your

adverse existential uncertainty {light grey}

You are suffering from the fact that you have to do without certain amenities, enjoyments and pleasures because you don't have enough money to afford them. You have no lack of ideas for what you could do and buy but your uncertain existential situation hinders you in carrying this through. It is also possible you have decided to use your money for more important things. At the moment you are unsure what you should do about your ..

frustrating lack of fulfillment. {dark bluish green}

You expect too much beauty, goodness and enjoyment from people, experiences and life itself. You believe other people should behave the way you consider correct and reasonable and they should show interest for your wishes and needs. Since this is not often the case, you feel frustrated and unfulfilled. If you were to seek happiness inside yourself instead of outside, you could find genuine fulfillment. Your sense of frustration also has to do with your ...

inhibiting limitations { a kind of dirty/dark green }

Difficult circumstances limit your opportunities for experience and your freedom of action. You feel deprived because you have to do without some of the things that would make life pleasant. You expect far too much understanding for your needs from other people, and as a result, you often feel disappointed. You might ask yourself how much understanding and empathy you extend to others.

What I see is a more elaborate version of the Forer/Barnum effect coupled with some general color associations.

Ce test correspond bien à mon ressenti de ma situation actuelle... Merci pour le partage...

This test corresponds to my feelings of my current situation ... Thanks for sharing ...

Really interesting "color oracle" - mine was fairly accurate too; and likewise I'm trying to read a bit more the science behind it....I think a lot of the research into the use of colors related to human behaviors have been "abused" by corporate marketing; and has been used against consumers to manipulate their behaviors...

If we could start to utilize it properly to help humanity as this test shows - we can understand our feelings better by more research into the colors we are most comfortable with at any given times...fwiw

obyvatel said:
Since this is posted in the Psychology & Cognitive Science Board .........

Forer/Barnum effect

In 1948, psychologist Bertram R. Forer gave a psychology test—his Diagnostic Interest Blank—to a group of his psychology students who were told that they would each receive a brief personality vignette or sketch based on their test results. One week later Forer gave each student a purportedly individualized sketch and asked each of them to rate it on how well it applied. In reality, each student received the same sketch, consisting of the following items:

1. You have a great need for other people to like and admire you.
2. You have a tendency to be critical of yourself.
3. You have a great deal of unused capacity which you have not turned to your advantage.
4. While you have some personality weaknesses, you are generally able to compensate for them.
5. Your sexual adjustment has presented problems for you.
6. Disciplined and self-controlled outside, you tend to be worrisome and insecure inside.
7. At times you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.
8. You prefer a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations.
9. You pride yourself as an independent thinker and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof.
10. You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others.
11. At times you are extroverted, affable, sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, reserved.
12. Some of your aspirations tend to be pretty unrealistic.
13. Security is one of your major goals in life.

On average, the students rated its accuracy as 4.26 on a scale of 0 (very poor) to 5 (excellent). Only after the ratings were turned in was it revealed that each student had received an identical sketch assembled by Forer from a newsstand astrology book. The sketch contains statements that are vague and general enough to apply to most people.

<snip>

What I see is a more elaborate version of the Forer/Barnum effect coupled with some general color associations.

Thanks for the post, Obyvatel. I had some doubts about the test as I think tests like these are very easily interpreted subjectively, even if accurate, and certainly open to a lot of projection. Maybe part of the cause, along with the general vagueness of the descriptions, is that it puts people into a certain mindset where the test is coming off as an authority in something (understanding people's psychological states through their color selection, in this case) where people will then project what's going on inside of them onto generally vague descriptions. It makes me think of horoscopes as well. I think it's possible that there's some accuracy/insight in the results, but that it's also really easy for people to just wholesale believe in the results without testing and observing to see if they're actually accurate.

I think if someone really wanted to determine how accurate the test was for themselves, they'd take it multiple times: once following the rules, once doing the opposite, and at least once "randomly" (one could argue that would give potentially better insight by avoiding the conscious mind), then seeing how well each result fit their current situation.

One cannot choose at random, there is always an unconscious part that biases the choices. However, if one wants to do a pseudo blind test, the most simple is to ask a person A to do the test, and then see if the results are accurate enough (whatever that means) for a person B whom we know is not in the same emotional state (but how to know that).

Foxx said:
I think if someone really wanted to determine how accurate the test was for themselves, they'd take it multiple times: once following the rules, once doing the opposite, and at least once "randomly" (one could argue that would give potentially better insight by avoiding the conscious mind), then seeing how well each result fit their current situation.

Another possibility is that a person could do the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory after the color test and compare their results. Wikipedia reports that in 1984 the authors of the MMPI compared results from their inventoy with results from the similar Lusher color thing and found little agreement between them. So little that they advised caution with those color test things.

I think here may be some subjective validation involved because there definitely seems to be expectation of relationship justifying taking the test in the first place and maybe the Forer effect seals it.

I do think that color is a mood influencer, though, like when one is open to suggestion or suspending disbelief, such as when watching a movie or reading a well-written novel.

My 2 cents.

When we speak of accuracy here, what exactly are we referring to? How we feel in the moment when taking the color test or general personality traits revealed by the description or something else?

obyvatel said:
When we speak of accuracy here, what exactly are we referring to? How we feel in the moment when taking the color test or general personality traits revealed by the description or something else?

What would be the "something else"?

In my case, I can say that it was quite accurate, I suppose "my" accuracy was proportional related to my subjective? state of mind, regarding the anxious/worried some thread, I did first chose the light blue color ... and do still think/contemplate in the question, though ..

Of great importance to you now is ... relaxing favorite past time . {reference to light blue}
When the difficulties of daily life or human interaction become too much, you prefer to retreat to your favorite pastime, a quiet hobby or into the world of your thoughts, dreams and fantasies.If you try to achieve the necessary balance to daily routine through a regular practice of meditation, you will find what you have actually been looking for: inner detachedness and peace. It would also be ideal if you could occasionally spend time in the great outdoors . You believe a particular help in achieving the inner peace you desire is ....

You can ask yourself:
Does my determination to concentrate fully on my plans keep me from engaging in the right measure with what other people are saying, feeling or needing?
I bold-ed "right measure", it reminded me of the third factor, gray, between white and black and etc, because is something had been working on, from anxious/worried thread. But that does not mean I am done with it. Programs are not to easily to modify or erased.

Funny though, regarding accuracy's, I once took an IQ/personality/vocation test? and results were ... mmm ... at that time, did not believe them much, I mean, I was suppose to be good at science related ... nowadays I think differently, cannot reject blantlantly, perhaps, I do have some characteristics, that certaintly did not recognized when I did that test, like 10 years ago .. I had been re-discovering myself.

Back
Top Bottom