Ambroxol - The Common Cough Syrup

I've also found it called Broxol on eBay.com.au - but it's an equine product and the listing doesn't give concentrations.

According to the manufacturer’s website the concentration is 5mg/gram of product. See here.
Given that the studies used doses between 60mg and 420mg three times a day, that would pretty much obliterate the 750g pot in a few days. However these were studies undertaken for Parkinson’s disease, the cough dose is much lower. So even if I don’t have a fundamental problem swallowing horse medication, I am not sure that this is really helpful.

On top of that the price of the 750g pot on the manufacturer is about 2/3 the price from that on eBay, however it doesn’t include postage.

There is a warning with ambroxol syrup because it contains parabens, those concerned (in France) :
AMBROXOL BIOGARAN 0,6 % sol buv sans sucre
AMBROXOL EG 0,6 % sol buv
AMBROXOL MYLAN 0,6 % sol buv
AMBROXOL RATIOPHARM 0,6 % sol buv
AMBROXOL TEVA 0,3 % sol buv
AMBROXOL TEVA 0,6 % sol buv

I also found that this substance is derived from the plant Adhatoda vasica. Maybe something to dig up here.

There are a lot of Pubmed papers at the end of this Noix de Malabar — WikiPhyto

For example :

Abstract
Purpose: Medicinal plants like Adhatoda vasica Nees. are used traditionally in Tripura to cure pneumonia, cough and cold. Pneumonia is a lung infection with cough, fever and hard time breathing. Pneumonia is mainly caused by bacteria like Streptococcus pneumoniae. Moreover, many of these pathogenic strains are showing acute resistant to many commercially available antibiotics due to the formation of biofilms. One of the main areas of modern day research in medical microbiology is to search for agents that can destroy microbial biofilms effectively. Materials and Method: The present study evaluates the antimicrobial activity of Adhatoda vasica Nees. extracts and commercially available vasicine against the biofilms of the bacteria - Streptococcus pneumoniae and their free-living forms. The extraction, identification and phytochemical screening of the leaf of Adhatoda vasica Nees. were done following the standard procedures. Thin layer chromatography had been done to show the presence of vasicine in the ethanol, methanol and water extracts. The antimicrobial activity of petroleum ether, ethanol, methanol and water extracts of Adhatoda vasica Nees. (20mg/ml) and commercially available vasicine (1mg/ml) against planktonic forms of bacteria were determined using the agar well diffusion method with tetracycline (20mg/ml) as control. The minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) and the minimum bactericidal concentration (MBC) values were evaluated by a macrobroth dilution technique. The anti - biofilm effects were assessed by micro titre plate method. The biofilm inhibition was observed both in compound microscope with crystal violet staining and in scanning electron microscope. The cell viability assay was assessed by Etbr/AO staining. Results: The results showed that the A. vasica Nees. leaf extract have remarkable zone of inhibition for the tested bacteria as compared to standard vasicine and tetracycline. However, the MIC values of A. vasica Nees. extracts (100 - 160 μg/ml) and vasicine (100-120 μg/ml) confirmed the high ability of these extracts for inhibition of planktonic bacteria. A. vasica Nees. extracts were efficient to inhibit biofilm and the concentration of each extract had a direct relation with the inhibitory effect. The extracts and standard vasicine showed a remarkable effect on cell viability of bacteria in biofilm which is also confirmed by SEM analysis. Finally, it can be suggested that the extracts of this plant and commercially vasicine be applied as antimicrobial agents against the pathogen, particularly in biofilm forms. Key Words: A. vasica Nees, Vasicine, Biofilm, Streptococcus pneumoniae.

Saw on another website that the cough mixture dose is 30 - 120mg in 2 - 3 divided doses per day.

I live in Spain and some time ago I tried several options here for the Ambroxol . Most of them had excipients that were not suitable for me (artificial sweeteners, iron oxides, etc).
Currently the best option for me by far, both for its good price and its excellent performance for me is to bring this brand from Germany:
box with 100 tablets of 30mg
if I buy several packages at once with a single shipping cost it is much better than any other option in Spain

there is also the option 'retard' (50 tablets of 75mg):

I have found ONLINE FRENCH PHARMACY, who stock AMBROXOL in box of 20 tablets each 30mg. They are selling at Euro 1.99.

Composition

Active Ingredient:
Ambroxol hydrochloride................................................................................................................... 30 mg
Per tablet.
Other ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, sodium carboxymethyl starch (type A), magnesium stearate.

I'm a bit concerned as to the ingredients. and would appreciate any feed back or insights please.

I have found ONLINE FRENCH PHARMACY, who stock AMBROXOL in box of 20 tablets each 30mg. They are selling at Euro 1.99.

Composition

Active Ingredient:
Ambroxol hydrochloride................................................................................................................... 30 mg
Per tablet.
Other ingredients:
Lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, povidone, sodium carboxymethyl starch (type A), magnesium stearate.

I'm a bit concerned as to the ingredients. and would appreciate any feed back or insights please.

I don't really know, but if it's just for a casual use, for a cough, I would say it doesn't matter so much (risk/benefits). And if not, sure it will be a question to ask, but I have a question too : Have you the same condition as Laura ? Is it really wise or beneficial for anybody who has not this condition to take it for "detox" ? :huh:

Is it really wise or beneficial for anybody who has not this condition to take it for "detox" ? :huh:

Thanks for replying Maat. My husband suffers on and off with hey fever like symptoms and difficulty breathing. Reading up on reports of the benefits of AMBROXOL I thought having some in stock might be a good idea as Spring is approaching and crazy rumours of VIRUSES. Just a precaution.

Thanks for replying Maat. My husband suffers on and off with hey fever like symptoms and difficulty breathing. Reading up on reports of the benefits of AMBROXOL I thought having some in stock might be a good idea as Spring is approaching and crazy rumours of VIRUSES. Just a precaution.

Don't forget to have plenty of dried elderberries on hand to make tea against viruses!

I don't really know, but if it's just for a casual use, for a cough, I would say it doesn't matter so much (risk/benefits). And if not, sure it will be a question to ask, but I have a question too : Have you the same condition as Laura ? Is it really wise or beneficial for anybody who has not this condition to take it for "detox" ? :huh:
I agree with you Maat, it's not a concern when it's in short period. In the other hand some ingredients like magnesium stearate tightly bond to the active substance, preventing it to be fully delivered to the body, thus the substance+magnesium stearate are ousted. Stearate even keeps tightly the magnesium and don't let it being delivered. But I don't expect big pharma providing us something fully efficient. When they do research, they give the pure product and results are excellent. And they come and see doctors and present them their results with the beautiful charts and results, and you say "wow! excellent! I'll prescribe it right now to my patients!"
But when they design it to be sold, it is not as effective. Also, magnesium stearate is in nearly all pills, it's a good filler, it makes the most % of the pill/tablet, and very low % remains for the active substance: commercial techniques.

So, for your second question, for detox, maybe you can make short cures or associate ambroxol pills to another detox? Or to take the original plant you mentionned (Adhatoda vasica) :-). i will read the links you've provided

So I read. I didn't know this webpage wikiphyto. When you see all the incredible properties of plants, you say "why on earth did we get away of these natural remedies? Laura's elderberry is another good example.
In France (10 years ago?) a law cancelled the herbalist diploma. Since, it's illegal to have a shop of healing herbs

Here is what they say about Adhatoda vasica 's properties (from which ambroxol is made):

Antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, antituberculous
Antibiofilm activity against Streptococcus pneumoniae [16]
hepatoprotective,
radioprotective,
cardiovascular protector,
anti-inflammatory,
anti-ulcer,
thrombolytic, antimutagenic, hypoglycemic, antioxidant [3].
Anti-asthmatic, anti-allergic (vasicinone) [4], [5]
Antitussive [6]
Vasicin is abortive and oxytocic. [10], [11]
Strong antioxidant and renal protective, anti-mutagenic,
Hepatoprotective [13] against carbon tetrachloride toxicity [14], reduces alkaline phosphatase and hematological toxicity in pre-treatment before radiotherapy [15].
Pesticide and insecticide (adhatodic acid)

I watched pictures of this tree and the leaves look like those of our common wallnut tree. So, I looked at it:

Properties of the plant

Leaves :
Astringent and healing with gallic and catechic tannins.
with antiseptic and keratinizing properties
The leaves are mildly hypoglycemic and antidiabetic, increase liver detoxification [3].
Juglone is anti-tumor on Ehrlich's ascitic tumors and cytotoxic on some lung cancer cells. [4]
Antimicrobial [5], [6], [7]
Antioxidant [8], free radical scavenging (hydrolysable tannins: glansrines A-C) [9].
The acid fraction is anti-tumor
The essential oil is an antifungal and bactericidal.
A related species, Juglans mandshurica, inhibits melanogenesis. [10]
Nuts:
The nut is remarkably antioxidant, close to the activity of superoxide dismutase [11], anti-atheromatous and stimulant of osteoblasts [12].
A 30-gram serving of walnuts lowers total and LDL cholesterol [13].
Walnut oil is hypocholesterolemic, hypotriglyceridemic, anti-inflammatory, anti-platelet aggregation.
Inhibition of aflatoxin toxicity [14]
Bark:
Bark extract is antibacterial against Gram-positive bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus mutans), and Gram-negative bacteria (Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa), and antifungal (Candida albicans), it prevents the development of dental plaque [15].
Inhibits protein glycation, limits complications of diabetes [16].

Properties of the bud: Regulator of saprophytic flora

Properties of the essential oil: Antifungal and bactericidal

It maches with the post posted previously here.
So, if you can't get ambroxol pills, or if you want to complete it with something without additives, common wallnut plant can be an alternative. Elderberry and other plants I don't know are precious too.
One can also search for a chinese shop online for herbal powders like this one.
Finally we still have many ways to be armed against infections and outbreaks to come.

Don't forget to have plenty of dried elderberries on hand to make tea against viruses!

Thanks for that Laura. I've ordered the Elderberries and now looking for suitable sweetener as, to put it mildly, they taste rather gross.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom