Ambroxol - The Common Cough Syrup

Perhaps you could add a teaspoon of glycine to sweeten it

Thank you Oxajil. That was a well timed and valuable suggestion. I had read the post on Glycine a few years ago but as I was doing catch-up on the forum I went onto other topics and never went back. Having now reread the post I think, maybe, Glycine could be an answer to many varied problems I am struggling with.

Can't thank you enough for your thoughtful suggestion. I'm off to order it now.

What a coincidence! There's a very common 'mucolytic'? syrup called "Mucosolvan" here in Italy, €10 or even less, usually taken during or after any sign of cold/flu related symptoms. Had a very bad flu in between January and February and it was like having spikes in my temples 24/24, no sore throat, but a lot of mucus in it... gash!

I have it on my desk, prescribed by my doctor but sold even without prescription I suppose. Unfortunately something nasty was going on with this product, as the label reads 'sugar free'... et voilà, checked the paper and there's 'sucralose' in it. Anyway an online check shows even cheaper 'Ambroxol clorohydrate/hydrochloride?' without nasty mixs of sort.

Now that I think of it it's about 2 years or so that I've noticed an increase in salivation, and the need to swallow more often. Don't know if it's properly a 'mucus' thing itself.

@Gaby How long one must take it until you see improvement in coughing and in muscus production?

We switched to it after doctor ordered it on Monday and from Tuesday my younger kid an I are on 5ml 3xday. Before we were taking Bronchilicum Elixir, a plant based syrup.
My older kid started to cough also productive today so I gave him 5ml Ambroxol as well.

I feel better with no more pain in throat and chest from coughing and muscus reduced but both the coughing and the mucus is still there. My younger one still sounds the same but he says that it is easier and he doesn’t have a feeling to throw up from muscus.

Thank you! :flowers:

Well, there's a lot of syncytial respiratory virus and flu, etc. It can be a couple of weeks before symptoms start to fade away. I don't know how old is your kid, but we often combine it with NAC for better results.

If you have a machine for nebulizations, you can also add that to the wellbeing protocol.

Well, there's a lot of syncytial respiratory virus and flu, etc. It can be a couple of weeks before symptoms start to fade away. I don't know how old is your kid, but we often combine it with NAC for better results.

If you have a machine for nebulizations, you can also add that to the wellbeing protocol.
I‘m 41, my sons are 10 and older will be 13 in 11 days.
Me and my younger one are hit the worse by this flu/cold/madness.

My younger started to have soar throat 2 weekends ago. I took him to the doctor last Monday (21.11.) and she said it‘s a flu and to continue with a lot of liquids and Propolis spray. He then started to have an elevated temperature but it was always around 27,5 and he was generally ok, not down or struck by it.

On Wednesday evening my older kid got a fever that lasted 2 days, over 38 and coughing.
My younger started to cough too so I introduced Bronchicum syrup for both.

They were both more-less ok over the weekend but I planned to go to the doctor with them both.

But then on Sunday evening - I got worse. I went down with fever and coughing.

I managed to go to my doctor on Monday (she wouldn’t give me sick days without seeing me so I waited to be admitted outside the ambulance and almost fainted there) to give me sick leave and decided to leave the kids at home as well.

I got in contact with their doctor and explained that now all of us are sick that my younger one is now coughing with mucus and he had 38 fever too (yes, his fever was back!!!) and I cannot come to the other side of the city with them (my doctor is 2 street away and there is lack of pediatrician in the town and this one is very good so I’m reluctant to change).
She said to buy Ambroxol and to give it to him.

I would have gone yesterday with the kids for a checkup but I still don‘t feel well plus the doctor anyway wasn’t in the ambulance on Friday.

My fever lasted untill Wednesday night, so 2,5 days and now I feel like I‘m on the boat all the time. Still today.
My younger had the high fever return on Monday only.

And today my older one complained that he also coughed some mucus. So I gave this syrup to him too.

So this all ordeal lasts for 2 weeks now for my younger one.

I plan to go with my kids to the doctor on Monday.

But on the box it says to take the syrup 4-5 days and than to see the doctor.
And today is day 5.
So I don’t know if we should continue to take it.
I would until we are better.

It is going for the better but slowly of course…

I discovered another neat trick: taking DGL about two hours after eating not only settles the unhappy stomach, it also appears to stop mucus production and coughing.

Still taking my ambroxol every night though. That stuff is a lifesaver.

Dear Mari, I wish you all a fast recovery. It last forever and it is sooo exhausting.
My doughter and I also had a long episode of this - I wish I knew this earlier.
We were taking Pulmonaria officinalis tea, NAC, zinc, lipo C, cod liver oil, B komplex...
And the other day at parent teacher meeting at doughters high school one mother who is a nurse in local hospital
said that kids are awfully sick righ now due to stupid locdowns, on line school and masks.
That we all are compensating the usual viruses plus mutated bs from covid vax.
Well....HELLOOOOO ? :ohboy:
:hug2:

I plan to go with my kids to the doctor on Monday.
Not a bad idea, after so much time, it's best to double check for signs of bacterial infection as a complication.

It's important to always do mouthwashes and/or throat sprays with an anti-septic solution like chlorhexidine combined with an anesthetic such as lidocaine or tetracaine. It decreases the viral and bacterial charge in the mouth, and also decreases irritation coughing. Each country has its brands. I know Eludril in spray, but also Angispray. Also important to do nasal washes with saline solution or seawater very frequently. You can make your own solutions with hydrogen peroxide. For mouth washes, it has to be 1% hydrogen peroxide and for nasal cleansing, it has to be 0.5% hydrogen peroxide and use only 1 or 2 drops. The hydrogen peroxide is once a day for killing coronaviruses and prevent infection.

Alternatively, you can use a neti pot for saline solution sinus washes.

You can buy a nebulizer from the web and use it to nebulize physiological solution and/or even lugol 2%, 2 to 4 drops in 3 ml of saline solution (NaCl 0.9%), several times a day.

Another old school stuff that you might get in the pharmacy is glycerol. It's often sold as a coughing syrup for babies, brand name Petit Drill in France. You can also buy glycerol on the web, in general. As a molecule, it has an anti-inflammatory effect. It's from the Revici medical protocols (we have a separate thread about Revici and his cancer protocols). The glycerol apparently calms down the inflammatory fatty acids in case of flu, bronchiolotis, etc. Lynne August, Revici's successor, swears by it. I know it works very well in children. This should be her podcast about it:

Last edited:
This should be her podcast about it:
Oh, the entire transcript is available with doses:

Inflammatory fatty acids are the first responders to a viral infection and they cause the first symptoms to a viral infection. Less fatty acids are less symptoms, less symptoms while your body develops immunity. Glycerol neutralizes fatty acids. It disables them, so, glycerol reduces symptoms and sometimes eliminates them too. Glycerol has three OH, Hydroxy or alcohol groups that are positively charged. These three positively charged groups attract the negative charges at the end of fatty acids. When the two bind the fatty acids are disabled. When glycerol, which has three hydroxyl groups to bind fatty acids. When it binds one it’s a monoglyceride. When it binds two it’s a diglyceride and when it binds three it’s a triglyceride. This is very natural and very physiologic. It is not a drug. I recommend glycerol a lot. For example in January, for my then 16 month old grandson, we gave him glycerol for a lingering cough after a cold, a URI he had the previous month. We gave him ⅛ teaspoon, three times a day. The cough subsided within twenty four hours. We continued the therapy for another four days and stopped. No symptoms since. I also recommend glycerol for those with cardiovascular risk or cardiovascular disease and especially those with high cholesterol. High cholesterol is an indicator that there are inflammatory fatty acids running amok. The cholesterol’s purpose is its attempt to neutralize the fatty acids. Dr. Revici found that giving glycerol actually reduced the cholesterol. But, that was awhile ago and things are much more complicated now. So, I would not recommend it as a cholesterol lowering drug but as part of a regimen. For people with cardiovascular risk or disease, I recommend ¼ teaspoon, three times a day. Glycerol is much overlooked home remedy. We have to address then, is it toxic? I have never seen any side affects from glycerol. But, if you look it up on the web there’s talk of headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. However, I could not find how much it took to cause those side affects. Since glycerol is sometimes used for hydration or constipation, I suspect those doses are quite a bit higher than what I’m recommending here. I woke up this morning to a text, from a friend who has a fever of 102 and cough. So, I recommended ¼ teaspoon of glycerol four times a day, spread out over his waking hours. I also recommended ¼ teaspoon twice a day, for his wife who is totally asymptomatic and we want to stay ahead of the symptoms. Many of you hearing this probably don’t have glycerol at home and my office is closed. So unfortunately, we can’t send any to you. If possible you could get it on Amazon, look for an organic that’s ideal or look for USP Grade which means pharmaceutical grade. However, it its just glycerol and no other added ingredients, most likely, it’s safe and it’ll do the job for you. I’m wishing you all, all the best.

Thank you all and especially to you Gaby! :flowers: :hug2:

I‘m currently having a series of caugh that I cannot stop. It’s awful and exhausting.
I feel like something is in my throat and can’t get it out. Already half an hour and I hope it will get better.

This bug is really awful …

Mari, I hope that you can obtain at least some of the wonderful items that dear wise Gaby and others have recommended in this post. If you are too unwell to go out, perhaps a friend could buy what you need and drop it off?

I know it's so hard when your children are unwell to actually rest yourself, you are constantly monitoring them, no matter your own state. It sounds like some days of laying low, lots of fluids and sleeping as much as possible are key (very hard with a cough like that!)... some hearty soup / bone broth might be the best nourishment for you all over the next few days... even if you can't really taste, it's easy to swallow, and you know it is genuinely doing you good. 💕🍲
hope you are all feeling a lot better very soon 🌷🌷🌷

I‘m currently having a series of caugh that I cannot stop. It’s awful and exhausting.
I feel like something is in my throat and can’t get it out. Already half an hour and I hope it will get better.

I killed my last cough bug with a Vitamin A, D and K combo. I tried to do it with just the A and D, but it didn't work without K. Perhaps you can try it too.

Back
Top Bottom