Are you a "drama queen"?

Very low in the test. Even if sometimes I feel a situation being very dramatic when in fact it is not dramatic, just hard. But I know a "drama queen": she is always exaggerating a situation, lying about it, being her the victim of bad people, a martyr. A poor martyr. These people are vampires, they always need your attention, your confort, your energy. Usually they are very expressive, acting very well, but the body language is very significative. For example this drama queen I know when she is acting her drama she looks very energetic but if not playing the act she is in fact almost invisible, grey. Her playing the drama is a sort of giving her life, I think so. but they need spectators. I refuse to be one. When they play the drama I can see energy, a sort of energy that is incontrolable, almost crazy. The voice high, very hight, big gestures with arms and big facial expressions. Also a sort of sweat on their flesh, because in reality, I think so, they are very insecure and extremely nervous. And scare and afraid that maybe you can see her playing the drama queen.

I scored average, mostly responding neutral because these questions are not placed in context.

I read another version of that study which was carried on SOTT. It made me think more about "malignant" cases that I have witnessed, although the caricature that came to my mind was certainly food for thought!

Here is a relevant quote:

The 'drama queen', psychologists define Need for Drama as a compound personality trait
http://www.sott.net/article/315949-The-drama-queen-psychologists-define-Need-for-Drama-as-a-compound-personality-trait

As psychologist Scott Barry Kaufman from the University of Pennsylvania, who was not involved in the research, explains, after submitting almost 500 volunteers to the test, they found that those who scored highly on the NFD scale were more likely to display so-called dark triad personality traits, such as non-clinical psychopathy, non-clinical narcissism, and Machiavellianism.

High NFD individuals also showed a higher tendency towards gossiping, neuroticism, and an external locus of control - a feeling that you can't control the negative things that happen to you, even if you actually did play a role in making them more likely.

A high need for drama coupled with a strong sense of victimhood and very impulsive behavior has very devastating effects for the person and her or his relationships. It is a source of suffering, but deep down inside, they are concerned only about themselves and how they see the world, forcing other people to conform to that view and support their victimized status. At some level, there seems to be some sort of enjoyment in the whole dynamic. These people have to stir things up from time to time out of no good reason at all, except perhaps the need to feed. They can't help themselves. It seems like there is a malignant force working through them as there is really no one home to control or regulate the impulses and the emotions.

On a related note, this excerpt from "Myth of Sanity" by Martha Stout came to mind:

Are there souls, so to speak, for whom the prognosis is better than for others? And when I consider all my patients, over all the years, the answer is yes: there is in fact an astonishingly robust correlation between an individual's successful recovery on the one hand, and on the other hand, a person's preexisting conviction that she and she alone is responsible for something. This something could be an endeavor or a specific person, or is quite likely to be the conduct of her life in general. People who are compelled and organized by a sense of responsibility for their actions tend to recover.

And conversely, sadly, people whose directive meaning systems do not include such a conviction tend not to recover, tend to remain dissociatively fragmented and lost.

This distinction is other than that of perceived locus of control-Who has the power, I or the universe?-which is an understandably double-edged issue for nearly all survivors of trauma. Rather, the difference is that of tenaciously assuming personal responsibility for one's own actions, and therefore taking on personal risk, versus placing the highest valuation upon personal safety, both physical and emotional, which often precludes the acknowledgment of responsibility. (If I acknowledge responsibility toward my child-or my friend or my ideas or my community-then I may be compelled to stick my neck out. I may have to do or feel something that will make me more vulnerable.) Here, the psychology of trauma comes full circle, in that the original function of dissociation is to buffer and protect; and so by rights, patients who value self-protection above all else should be candidates for treatment failure, even though they may experience, in addition, an ambivalent wish to be rid of their devitalizing dissociative reactions.

A self-protective system of mind may express itself behaviorally in many ways. Three of the most common ways can be characterized as action-avoidant dependency upon another person or upon a confining set of rules, a preoccupation with reassigning blame, and actions and complaints that indicate a lack of perspective on one's own problems relative to the problems of others. In dissociative identity disorder, such behaviors-just like their "responsible" opposites in a very different "soul"-may be observed, along with some distracting variations in style; across all of the various personalities.

The third behavioral expression of a self-protective soul-acting upon a lack of perspective on one's own problems relative to those of others-is reflected in our society at large by the popular phenomenon of victim identification. Victim identification presupposes the belief that there is a finite group of victims within the larger population, and that one is either a member of this group or not. Membership is (paradoxically) attractive because it affords, first and foremost, a sense of belonging, and after that, all the special status, sympathy, and considerations typically given to those who have been preyed upon and hurt. Also, as an identity, as something to be, it may fill up the terrifying sense of emptiness that often follows trauma.

Unfortunately, forever holding on to an identity as victim bodes ill for the person's recovery from that very trauma. Holding fast to this way of seeing oneself and the world can keep an individual endlessly beguiled by his own misery. Also, victim identification blinds its subscribers to the leveling fact that we have all-yes, granted, some more so than others-but we have all been hurt at one time or another. We are in this together: patients, non¬patients, therapists, everyone.

For these reasons, it is crucial that a fine balance be struck by therapists, and by anyone wishing to help those with DID, or any other dissociative disorder-in the session room, in the home, in survivors groups, and even in the newly developed context of mental health Web sites and chat rooms. A survivor of trauma is a victim, certainly; but "victim" does not comprise the totality of her, or anyone else's, identity. Helpers must support the healing process in both of its phases: the survivor must endure the discovery that she is a victim, and then she must take responsibility for being that no longer. Both parts are equally important, and in neither phase can self-protection be the primary goal. Enabling someone's long-term identity as a victim robs her of an important human right, that of being responsible for her own life.

Also, whether or not a particular person is willing, after a time, to relinquish the status of victim is important information for a helper, because it tends to predict who will and who will not recover. In this regard, I sometimes gently point out to a patient that if she will reflect for a moment, she will probably realize that extreme victim identification and self-pity were, truth to tell, prominent characteristics of her abuser. And is this really how she wants to live her whole life, too?

First reaction to the question was: Yes, I raise my hand, I'm a big drama queen indeed!

Though I would say that most of that happens unconsciously by feeling pity for myself and provoking that pity from others to myself. It is basically a pretty covert narcissistic tendency, that does not help anybody except the predator. At least I think I made a bit of progress of recognizing when I'm in a state of "pity me, everything and everybody is so unfair" more often. In the last couple of months I noticed that I can catch myself much more often when I'm in that state and at least hold the horses a bit. I'm actually pretty thankfull for those realizations, because they show me over and over again how I'm not yet in control of my horses and most importantly, on how I think of myself and how I actually behave and come across. When you realize to what extent that goes in almost every second of your life, it is a pretty big shocker to say the least... There is a reason after all why my name begins with Pasha... LOL!

I found the questions hard to answer, because I really need to reflect what I'm doing. When I'm answering quickly , without thinking deeply about it, what it I get is a low score, but if I'm really taking the time and think about it and how I do behave and react, more often then I like, the score gets much higher and probably closer to the truth...

I got 'very low'. The article described higher scores as correlated with more impulsiveness, or less 'filtering', in behavior towards others, and then I tend to be very contained, keeping almost all my thoughts and feelings to myself. (This forum is the only place where I've discussed thoughts and, to a lesser extent, feelings, significantly, after the earlier years of my life.)

As I've experienced in recent months, though, I've long had so much bottled up inside me that if I had been expressing it emotionally, I would certainly come across as extremely dramatic. A great deal of emotional splitting, with on the one hand very intense bitterness and anger (enough to wish to see the world and everything in it destroyed), and also sadness and depression, and on the other hand very strong positive emotions connected mainly to ideals. Plenty to network once things stabilize internally again, following the intense recapitulation and processing of many years of intense impressions.

V. Low for me. FWIW. I think going by Gawan's definition we are all programmed to make mountains out of molehills in certain issues due to our cognitive biases, like catastrophizing, or overestimating how important an issue will be to us long-term. I feel like I have fallen to these feelings quite often in the past- this feeling like everything is SO IMPORTANT and that decisions about eating properly or sending out messages early enough, etc. are life-or-death. It's an incredible energy drain.

As for creating drama for others though, I feel kind of low, although sometimes I do get angry about some people and vent with others sometimes (with their permission). I guess that counts in ways, but we are programmed to act out against injustices or offenses to ourselves and those we care about.

I also have concluded something similar to this xkcd comic about people who talk a lot about drama itself; the people who complain about drama the most tend to attract and cause a lot of drama around them.
law_of_drama.png

The highest mark I got on the test was saying yes to "sometimes I say things just to see how people react". To me that's just standard insincerity for strategic enclosure and finding out how certain people's minds work. That's quite different from actively creating drama or stress for people. And if I do say uncomfortable or stressful things to people is because I am angry or have a grievance - not for amusement. Drama queens suck, but IMO so do people with hyperactive "be nice" programs.

Laura said:
Interesting that a couple folks got "low" who I would think are very much "drama queens", having created dramas - tempests in teacups or repeated life-screw-ups - here on the forum.

I was reading a book by a psychologist recently and he suggested that the need for ongoing stimulation in life from dramas etc occurs in persons who do not have very well formed ego-selves and need for stuff to be constantly happening to feel "alive". Such a person will trigger dramas unconsciously to "get attention", because if they aren't getting attention they feel like they are going to disappear. This drama can be any type of thing even including screwing up royally so that everybody has to give attention to a situation to fix it. So it's not necessarily just somebody "stirring the pot" consciously.

Interesting; it makes sense to me. Just like we're programmed to seek food, warmth, or shelter, we can be programmed to seek drama in order to maintain emotional balance. It becomes an addiction/craving we have. This need for drama reminds me of an article about narcissism I read a while back:

Narcissism lies on a continuum from healthy to pathological. Healthy narcissism is part of normal human functioning. It can represent healthy self-love and confidence that is based on real achievement, the ability to overcome setbacks and derive the support needed from social ties.

But narcissism becomes a problem when the individual becomes preoccupied with the self, needing excessive admiration and approval from others, while showing disregard for other people's sensitivities. If the narcissist does not receive the attention desired, substance abuse and major depressive disorder can develop.

With the psychological definition of narcissism being 'extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type,' then I wonder if drama-seeking constitutes one aspect of this.

I also scored 'very low' though a while back I know it would have been higher. It's real work to ween one's self from the need for that sort of stimulation and forge links to a more authentic self.

well, i got low, but without cheating now, I got average :P

although my brother has said i love drama.

I think looking for drama is a need to repeat an emotional situation and thus a feeding mechanism when it becomes chronic (drama queen). Is the perfect situation to out our internal conflict out with real participants. yet it also reveals the emotional instability. those who engage, repeat, create a draining feeding mechanism. Feeding off emotional energy.

I have some family members that are just extreme, and in looking at their pretty clear dynamics you can help but notice past situations and their history and always points to emotional holes. It can even become an obsessive disorder.
I used to work with this lady whose husband worked with me and my sister, who was terribly obsessed with my sister over the husband, so much so, she would do brujeria, threaten to cut her veins and go through the trash, close the store and have customers waiting and watch them (her and husband) fight and more! oh my, that was an unbearable work situation.

also the term of perception pops up, if you are with someone who does't care about anything it can be pretty frustrating and you end up arguing constantly over differences and insecurities. I think the need for drama in that case is necessary and even healthy, it may help to see if what you like and don't like about that partner. perpetuating it and not doing something about it, is what grants you the crown.

BUT!, but in healthy amounts and it when helps you get somewhere. Concealing emotions isn't good either.

I think we all have our drama queen moments and become the center of the stage, in terms of the work it is useful when this energy helps you get somewhere and is returned for others.

I read some definitions of the term online and oh boy.. , I wonder if the term has a scientific equivalent.
So maybe there are even different types of drama queens undiscovered as of yet.
Food for thought

Gaby said:
:

The 'drama queen', psychologists define Need for Drama as a compound personality trait
http://www.sott.net/article/315949-The-drama-queen-psychologists-define-Need-for-Drama-as-a-compound-personality-trait

As psychologist Scott Barry Kaufman from the University of Pennsylvania, who was not involved in the research, explains, after submitting almost 500 volunteers to the test, they found that those who scored highly on the NFD scale were more likely to display so-called dark triad personality traits, such as non-clinical psychopathy, non-clinical narcissism, and Machiavellianism.

High NFD individuals also showed a higher tendency towards gossiping, neuroticism, and an external locus of control - a feeling that you can't control the negative things that happen to you, even if you actually did play a role in making them more likely.

A high need for drama coupled with a strong sense of victimhood and very impulsive behavior has very devastating effects for the person and her or his relationships. It is a source of suffering, but deep down inside, they are concerned only about themselves and how they see the world, forcing other people to conform to that view and support their victimized status. At some level, there seems to be some sort of enjoyment in the whole dynamic. These people have to stir things up from time to time out of no good reason at all, except perhaps the need to feed. They can't help themselves. It seems like there is a malignant force working through them as there is really no one home to control or regulate the impulses and the emotions.

Yes , the extreme cases i've encountered, are impulsive, attention seeking , extremely manipulative people, and will always tell you how they want you to regard them or how they want you to think of them, very narcissistic, and play the pity card all the time.

The lady I referred above would always make the puppy face, cry and tell me how good of a person she was and how god sent her here to help others, and that she only wants the good and god is on her side and she prays, and that she is a woman with high standards and integrity,
i kid you not. Those were her catch phrases.
They always tell you how they want you to think of them and how bad the world is , sometimes in the same sentence.

Pashalis said:
I found the questions hard to answer, because I really need to reflect what I'm doing. When I'm answering quickly , without thinking deeply about it, what it I get is a low score, but if I'm really taking the time and think about it and how I do behave and react, more often then I like, the score gets much higher and probably closer to the truth...

By reading what other members have written here and by thinking more on this subject i think what Pashalis had described above applies to me also...

Such a pity that drama has been modernized and thus convetred into mere sensationalism. Hmm. Consumerist sensationalism. It has become an indispensable feature in any thing or way that needs to be monetised , from toilet paper to CVs.
Back in the day, when manners were taught at home early in life, drama queens and kings were making great artists. These days ... The World is a Stage, The stage is a world of entertainment. Paraphrased from the Hollywood movie, The Bandwagon.

Ina

Thanks Joe for the post. Scored a low. Like Gaby i think the questions are lacking in context and be interpreted in many different ways, hence the varying results.

Always thought drama queens - were persons that deliberately behaved that way in order to "feed"; while clearly lacking something "inside" or a "foundation"(similar view to Laura's post). Its been quite a clear personality trait in some people from observations, and and my view unchangeable, because it is probably genetic. Maybe most drama queens are OPs because of the feeding dynamic ? Because their behaviour certainly drains a lot of emotional energy in the situations they deliberate create...im not sure.

Another observation i have is the link between popular soap opera tv shows and drama queen behaviour. I noticed that in all the soap tv shows, the emotional responses are always exaggerated, and blown out of proportion of the situation portrayed. Since TV is staple in many nations, and watched by billions - maybe these kinds of behavioural "memes" can also affect behaviours of those without stable character foundations...fwiw

I scored very low which could be why I am stranger to myself :cool2:. I wonder how would it be when somebody else from my surrounding is replying on that questions?

I asked my wife to assess my "drama-queenness" replying on those questions and although she replied different the score changed from very low to low.
She assessed my willingness to talk unwelcome as very high.

Probably my drama type is drama queen of intellectual talking. It gives me a kick when I am having intellectual exchanges (sparrings) with others and I especially enjoy those who like to do same. Analyzing, finding weak points, defending stances, attacking stances, provoking, challenging, discovering new things, new views, confronting thoughts, playing with models of reality, competing with knowledge ... and I think that I only enjoy doing it with those similar to me.
Yeah right.
My wife is of different opinion. I am projecting myself onto others and assume they are like me: wiling to talk freely about everything, which is not true. Guess there is where my problems come. Disconnection of thought and feeling. Autistic disputes between me and myself.

Plan for today: we are going to visit our friends today - I will not say any opinion today unless asked plus I will encourage others to talk about their wonderful worlds :evil: and give them my ear for their stories holding back from uttering what I think about this and that :halo:

I have got a " low " in the test, but i think that questions are not very well formulated. Maybe with better questions ( and more ) we will get more accurate results.

Back
Top Bottom