Are you a "drama queen"?

Patience said:
One thing I found interesting about this online test is its association of thinking people are talking about you (read "paranoia") with this drama tendency. At age 20, I thought I was the center of the room, that everybody must be talking about how awful I am. I knew even then that it was an unrealistic view, but it easily swept me away. Reading Hesper's quote above marks the first time that I have thought that the dramas I use to create externally could have been a mechanism to re-establish some kind of internal equilibrium. It rings true, but it is such a new idea that I am not sure what to do with it.

A couple of years ago, someone close to me died and it pûnched the dramatic part of me square in the gut. Additionally, I am making a career change and am working in new environments. I have a work-study contract, so I go to school a few days a week and work the others. I work in a large but family-owned company. My boss and immediate colleagues are super intense people to the point of aggression. The dramatic part of me wants to be offended by this behavior. BUT IT IS NOT PERSONAL!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but it's great to hear that you're finding a new perspective, Patience. The best thing we can do, from what I've learned, is to slow down and see "it" for what "it" is - a very limited and limiting viewpoint. We keep on learning/sharing, doing genuinely for the network, and really questioning our understanding, and we gain a broader perspective. And the broader our perspective the less that our personal problems really seem that problematic, really. It's like we move from multiplication/division to calculus. Sure the math can be a pain, and we might get the wrong answer, but as long as we are open to feedback it's not the end of the world.

So, when you say that 'part of you' wants to be overly dramatic, the other part of you that is ready for 'calculus' says 'it is not personal,' OSIT. And those of us who have a history of being 'dramatic' just have to be patient, as it is a daily challenge. That's my current understanding.

Z said:
Gawan said:
As far as I understand it, I would say a drama queen is someone who makes out of small problems big or bigger ones. To a "drama queen" problems that occur are for them overwhelming and maybe a coping mechanism too.

As someone who has been "drama king" often I would say that this kind of behavior goes hand in hand with overtly sensitive personality. I think as long as one is aware of this tendency there is a lot of room for improvement. Having said that it looks like Joe's link is not working (OMG! :P) so I was unable to test my present need for drama :)

I think most people have this tendency ( some internalize some externalize) and as long as it is not down to histrionic personality disorder with time and proper introspection it can be kept in check or even conquered OSIT.

I think we have a normal expectation that when our inner world is in turmoil, there will be some reflection of it in the outer world and that helps us cope with it, showing us that there are rules and laws at play that we can come to understand. So I think when one feels something is really wrong on the inside, or is having trouble coping, and doesn't see the origin of the situation or a reflection of it in outer life, it is terrifying. So they will often try to find it some way, which can be by overreacting to mundane errors, inventing narratives that exaggerate others' culpability and deviousness, or by just inventing drama in an attempt to reveal something they are sure is hidden. They end up creating it in the end.

Most likely, someone who exaggerates the importance of mundane events, doesn't really understand their true significance the way someone viewing them in actual context would, either.

Laura said:
Interesting that a couple folks got "low" who I would think are very much "drama queens", having created dramas - tempests in teacups or repeated life-screw-ups - here on the forum.

I was reading a book by a psychologist recently and he suggested that the need for ongoing stimulation in life from dramas etc occurs in persons who do not have very well formed ego-selves and need for stuff to be constantly happening to feel "alive". Such a person will trigger dramas unconsciously to "get attention", because if they aren't getting attention they feel like they are going to disappear. This drama can be any type of thing even including screwing up royally so that everybody has to give attention to a situation to fix it. So it's not necessarily just somebody "stirring the pot" consciously.

I got low too.

I think at specific times, due to not being 100% mentally stable 100% of the time, a person can be predisposed to amping up drama, and then they pay for it later. The latter part serves as lesson material, and they try to prevent the same mistakes. So it makes sense that some people who have had drama problems would score low.

More on the drama queen business:

12 Questions To Measure Your Inherent Need For Drama

http://www.spring.org.uk/2016/04/need-for-drama.php

Dramatic people love to gossip, stir up trouble and they constantly think they are victims.

People who enjoy getting others riled up and who can’t hold their opinion back have a high need for drama, new research finds.

Other aspects of a ‘need for drama’ include saying things just to see how others react and feeling like a victim all the time.

The conclusions come from a new study which validates a 12-point scale to measure need for drama.

People who score high on the ‘need for drama’ scale also typically have high but non-clinical levels of psychopathy and narcissism.

The typical life of dramatic individuals is described by the study’s authors:

“People with drama-prone personalities generally live chaotic lives and inflict contrived crises on family, friends, and co-workers.

In our interpersonal relationships, we would likely identify “dramatic” individuals with their histories of failed relationships and their conflicts with friends and family.

Often this interpersonal drama becomes public on social networking sites.

In the workplace, dramatic individuals are likely to engage in gossip to influence others, create conflicts among co-workers and management, and feel that they are the victims of others’ gossip and conflicts.”

The study found that three factors make up the need for drama:

Interpersonal manipulation: “characterized by a person’s willingness to influence other people to behave in a manner serving of the manipulator’s goals.”

Persistent perceived victimhood: “the propensity to constantly perceive oneself as a victim of everyday life circumstances that many people would dismiss as benign.”

Impulsive outspokenness: “characterized by a person’s compulsion to speak out and share opinions, even when inappropriate and without regard to social consequences.”

Need for drama test

The more that you agree with these statements the higher your need for drama:

Sometimes it’s fun to get people riled up.
Sometimes I say something bad about someone with the hope that they find out what I said.
I say or do things just to see how others react.
Sometimes I play people against each other to get what I want
I always speak my mind but pay for it later.
It’s hard for me to hold my opinion back.
People who act like my friends have stabbed me in the back.
People often talk about me behind my back.
I often wonder why such crazy things happen to me.
I feel like there are people in my life who are out to get me.
A lot of people have wronged me.

Agreeing with the following statement, though, is linked to lower levels of need for drama:

I wait before speaking my mind.

The study was published in the journal Personality and Individual Differences (Frankowski et al., 2016).

Arwenn said:
I scored a low, though I do agree with the others it's a very short test, and perhaps not the most accurate.

My thoughts on the matter as well, not sure how accurate..I scored a low as well. Thought it might be interesting to ask a couple family members what their opinion on the matter is, how much of a drama queen I might be in their eyes. They might not want to answer honestly though heh.

Laura said:
Need for drama test

The more that you agree with these statements the higher your need for drama:

Sometimes it’s fun to get people riled up.
Sometimes I say something bad about someone with the hope that they find out what I said.
I say or do things just to see how others react.
Sometimes I play people against each other to get what I want
I always speak my mind but pay for it later.
It’s hard for me to hold my opinion back.
People who act like my friends have stabbed me in the back.
People often talk about me behind my back.
I often wonder why such crazy things happen to me.
I feel like there are people in my life who are out to get me.
A lot of people have wronged me.

The bolded part above really stood out to me. I notice a a teenage family member of mine doing this when we visit at times..they'll say something shocking, usually vulgar as well.. seemingly out of the blue. Left wondering if they're doing it to get a reaction. Maybe because they know it'll offend me, or disturb me ...not sure the reason really as I haven't asked them.

celenajohnson23 said:
Low, but I wonder how this "drama queen or king" type relates to those who also dislike confrontation? Because on that side being a drama king or queen could stem from enjoying other's drama...or would such a person be involved no in drama at all? Just a thought

I think a 'test' of ten question probably isn't very reliable. I mean, even 20 questions, such as the Myers Briggs type personality indicator, can often get it wrong and sometimes gets varying results as per how a person feels on the day. It did with me, and the psychologist running the show 're-diagnosed' me as a completely different 'type'.

You brought up confrontation. I do that quite a bit, but that doesn't, (I think) make a person a drama queen, although, in this test it tends to indicate they are. The first time I did it I was average, the second, low.

I think that having too few question is probably as bad as having too many questions in these type of things, and accuracy of test results would decline in both.

I got very low, believe it or not! :D The test was overly simplified I agree. In the past I surely would have scored higher but older and wiser these days hopefully. The first 2 questions where strong disagrees for me not being a manipulator. #6 was a bit off since i dont think its "people" who are out to get me but maybe something else.... :shock:

I scored low and thought I would. I don't consider myself a drama queen. But I was thinking that it means someone who complains a lot or talks emotionally for the purpose of feeding. I don't do that, but rather keep silent mostly. Maybe too much, with a "be nice" or "make no waves" program.

But when I think about it, I may be more of an inner drama queen. I have OCD and I create dramas in my head, often fabrications of my mind or focusing too much on small things. And I know it affects others at times. So in that way I'm a drama queen. The test was short, but at least it provoked some inner thought.

3D Student said:
But when I think about it, I may be more of an inner drama queen. I have OCD and I create dramas in my head, often fabrications of my mind or focusing too much on small things. And I know it affects others at times. So in that way I'm a drama queen. The test was short, but at least it provoked some inner thought.

Yes. Depending on how broad the definition is, and how big the range of different types of essence (substratum) and wounding you take into account, how chronic the problem is, how intentional this is, etc., there is probably a whole range of "drama queenness".

But no matter the "degree of drama queenness" we each have, whether it manifests more internally or externally, part of the problem could be:

a) Distorted emotions: from a habit of energy usurpation, programming, etc.

b) Underdeveloped intellectual center: Not meaning that the person is "dumb"/stupid, but that they aren't pushing their intellect to the max. Some are perfectly capable in some situations, and then, as soon as emotions go crazy, they always let them take over their thinking.

c) Underdeveloped motor center: Not exercising enough, not training body coordination, not "liking" to get physically exhausted once in a while, or sometimes not using the motor center properly for their profile.

Trying to sort out a) alone is very difficult, because drama queens aren't always (if ever) able to tell which emotions are real, which drama is real, etc. Emotions play very important roles (like warning us of a real danger, as opposed to useless drama, and really caring about others, as opposed to wanting something in return, etc.). But without being able to discern them, it's very tricky.

So, why not work more indirectly, "starving the emotions" for a while, while making super-efforts regarding b) and c)? That would mean using the intellect in as many ways as possible, challenging oneself, learning to really focus, to not get distracted by internal drama or by external stimuli all the time, focusing more on learning, on the challenge, than on what "others are going to think". Real focus can silence the inner drama. It would also be like training a muscle. Critical and logical thinking. If you get used to it in as many situations as you can, then that skill is more available during emotional times as well. No matter what you are doing, you can practice focusing and being present.

Working on c) simultaneously via a exercising, practicing being aware of the body, etc. can also help reduce the inner dialogue, and feed the emotional part a bit less. Plus, it is an exercise in will power when you know you can do it, regularly, even when "it" doesn't want to.

Then, in order to use what you are learning intellectually in more emotional situations, if you know you are a "drama queen" until proven differently, it might be good to focus on shutting out ALL drama you can catch. And before making decisions in a stressful situation, get feedback just stating the facts, in case you make another one of those decisions that end up in drama even though you thought you were being practical (yeah, right!).

Yet another exercise, based on the possibility of a "weak ego" from lack of nurturing and also the willingness to take responsibility and change, would be to imagine yourself as being a person who has a healthier ego, who doesn't get so upset at the slightest reaction from others, who knows he/she can fail but get back up, be critical, responsible, strong. Whatever you are working with, imagine how being the best person you can be, would be like. Imagine what real giving to others without any personal agenda would be like (and it's amazing how much we can lie to ourselves in that respect until we see how selfish/needy we can be, even when we think we are "helping"!). Think of people you admire in that sense. Practice acting differently even (and especially) when you feel (under narratives) that you NEED to get attention, to behave like you always do, etc. Always ask WHO is this going to help? And if you notice any personal agenda such as seeking validation, reinforcing an illusion about yourself, or simply feeding the drama, then stop. And whenever the inner drama starts, remind yourself of that ideal.

Starving the emotions would also mean not giving into inner drama such as "I'll never make it", "it's all black", etc. Guilt is important for change, but also, we have to remember that we can change if we really want to. So it's our responsibility. Then, instead of "drama", there is "a lot of work to do" and no minute to lose immersed in that drama.

Anyway, just some ideas. In any case, I think it's useful to work on b) and c) no matter what. It's an investment. Then, hopefully the emotions can be more balanced, and not having extra energy to waste, one may be able to start discerning, and really change those annoying and hurtful traits. An experiment! I guess it all comes down to, once again, super-efforts! But practical ones, not "dramatic" ones. ;)

Chu said:
Anyway, just some ideas. In any case, I think it's useful to work on b) and c) no matter what. It's an investment. Then, hopefully the emotions can be more balanced, and not having extra energy to waste, one may be able to start discerning, and really change those annoying and hurtful traits. An experiment! I guess it all comes down to, once again, super-efforts! But practical ones, not "dramatic" ones. ;)

Being a drama queen is something I'd never considered applied to me but can see that it is a trait that I have. Reading this thread resonated strongly and it is really helpful in giving me greater insight into issues I'm having, reasons for them and practical steps to get over them. I was low on the tests but see I do have traits of suppressing that inner drama, over-thinking, not exercising enough until a point is reached where it becomes too much to contain. Spending time with family members recently I get glimpses of where it comes from and have to be careful not to get carried along in their drama or letting my own failings and pity-me-moments impact on them. It worries me a little that having read this and saying I'm going to do something about it I'll fail to act. It's tough but this gives me hope that positive changes can be made.

Back
Top Bottom