Article: ‘My parents’ life was a charade. Mum hated every minute of it’

mkrnhr said:
I think the problem arises from the modern invention that is the "nuclear" family. There is always a probability to have one or both of the parents defective in some way or another. In more traditional families, which are modeled on the tribal model, defects of parents are compensated by other members of the tribe (uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents, etc.,) offering eventually a safety net for the development of children.

I agree. That definitely is part of it, along with people having children only because of either social expectations, or they're just not sure what else to do with their lives. Childless women still had a quasi-parental role as aunts if they didn't want their own, but still had some instinct to have a child in their life. I've long believed adoption should only be within extended family unless there is absolutely no alternative. These days, the State takes on that role, but it seems to be making society worse overall.

Anyone from a more 'tribal' culture in North America, such as Italians or Jewish, or recent immigrants for that matter, seem to do better overall. Young people who have myriad relatives available to help them find work or get an education are at much more of an advantage than ones who are nearly completely on their own.

Back
Top Bottom