AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES CAUSED BY AN INFECTION?

Re: RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS CAUSED BY AN AMOEBA INFECTION?

Gaby said:
While doing some research, I found that at least one of the pioneers of this protocol used boron as an anti-amoebic as well:

I hadn't made the connection, but this makes a lot of sense considering how effective Boron has been in arthritis cases. And now that I think about it, maybe the same connection applies to turpentine/kerosene?

Laura said:
Is there some defined justification for taking the antibiotic on two days a week, separated by five days? Is that for recovery time, or based on some cycle of the amoeba, based on experimenting with different schedules, or what?

I ask because I've always understood that when you start an antibiotic you have to take the full course so that none of the critters survives in an adaptive manner to come back badder and meaner later. So, I'm concerned about this interval business.

I think that's an outdatd concept, the recommendation now is to stop the treatment once the symptoms subside:

AFTER years of urging patients to finish their full course of antibiotics, GPs are now being encouraged to tell most patients to stop treatment when they feel better.

Two articles published in this week’s MJA explore opportunities to combat increasing levels of antibiotic resistance in community and hospital settings, with both emphasising opportunities to discontinue therapy.

In a Perspectives article, Professor Gwendolyn Gilbert, of the Marie Bashir Institute for Infectious Diseases and Biosecurity at the University of Sydney, wrote that there was no risk, but “every advantage” in stopping a course of an antibiotic once a bacterial infection had been excluded and “minimal risk” if signs and symptoms of a mild infection had resolved. (1)

“There is a common misconception that resistance will emerge if a prescribed antibiotic course is not completed”, she wrote.

For most infections, there was no solid evidence for the recommended duration of therapy, while for many syndromes associated with bacteraemia, studies showed no difference in outcome when shorter courses of antibiotics were used, Professor Gilbert said.

“In practice the optimal duration of therapy depends on clinical syndrome, the causative organism, whether source control is possible and the patient’s response to therapy.”

Professor Chris Del Mar, professor of public health at the Centre for Research in Evidence-Based Practice at Bond University, Queensland, agreed, saying that for most acute respiratory and urinary tract infections, GPs should tell patients to stop taking an antibiotic once their symptoms subsided and discard the remainder.

“The old mantra about finishing a course of antibiotics was based on an assumption that unless you eradicated the infection it could come back and you would need another course of antibiotics, but there is no evidence for this except in a few very specific illnesses such as tuberculosis”, he told MJA InSight.

Professor Del Mar said he hoped that, in time, Australia would move towards a system where GPs prescribed the exact amount of antibiotic required, specific to the individual patient and their illness.

Greater cooperation was needed between GPs at the local level to agree on which antibiotics would be prescribed for which illnesses, to reduce the risk of antibiotic resistance developing in certain locales, he said.

“The problem of antibiotic resistance is primarily generated in primary care, where three-quarters of all antibiotics are prescribed, often unnecessarily, but the consequence is greatest for the hospitals, where antibiotics are most needed for things like surgical prophylaxis”, he said.

New research also published in the MJA has identified several barriers to implementing successful antimicrobial stewardship (AMS) programs in Australian and New Zealand tertiary paediatric hospitals. (2)

The study of 14 hospitals found only two used automatic stop orders for antimicrobials — “a potential area for intervention”, according to the authors.

It identified lack of education of hospital staff, and lack of pharmacy and medical staff dedicated to AMS as the two main barriers to effective AMS in paediatric hospitals.

The authors suggested part of the problem was proving the cost-effectiveness of AMS activities in paediatrics, given outcomes used in adult hospitals such as incidence of Clostridium difficile infection were not useful in the paediatric setting.

Professor Madlen Gazarian, a consultant in paediatric clinical pharmacology and therapeutics and honorary associate professor in the School of Medical Sciences at the University of NSW, broadly agreed with the authors’ conclusions. However, she told MJA InSight that the types of education and resources needed to improve antibiotic use “are broader than what is being suggested”.

For instance, she said, any effective AMS team needed to include not just clinicians such as infectious diseases physicians, AMS paediatricians or pharmacists, but also health professionals with a mix of broader expertise in therapeutics and quality use of medicines, clinical practice improvement and implementation science.

“Crucially, clinicians need to understand why a change is needed and that any changes initiated result in improvements in outcomes relevant to clinicians and patients”, she said.

“This is where clinically meaningful data collection for use in audit and feedback comes in. Yes, such audits can be time consuming and resource intensive, but they have been demonstrated to be effective in influencing prescribing behaviour when used as part of multifaceted strategies.” (3)

Professor Gazarian said the MJA study seemed to assume that having an AMS program was “a good thing in and of itself”. However, she emphasised the need to have better data on the actual outcomes of various AMS programs and more study of the characteristics of effective programs.

1. MJA 2015; 202: 121-122
2. MJA 2015; 202: 134-138
3. Pediatrics 2012; 129: 334-342

Source

Not to forget that one of the main driver of antibiotic resistance is agriculture: 6 out of 7 antibiotic treatments are given to helthy animals to speed up growth ...

Okay, since I have suffered from autoimmune issues since I was 9/10 years old (following a severe illness), I decided I had nothing to lose trying this protocol.

The first thing I did was an extensive series of blood tests to make sure everything was okay and to establish a sort of "before" picture just in case the "after" picture is different.

The medicines were obtained and I started yesterday; here's what happened:

First of all, even though the protocol includes a cortisone med to alleviate inflammation, I decided that I would not take it so as to better assess any reaction/results/effects. That was kind of a bad idea, but on the other hand, I sure got proof that SOMETHING was living in my body that ought not to be there.

My notes from the experiment that I was sending to Gaby as I was able:

9:30 AM: I took the first dose of the antibiotic and the allopurinol.

1:47: Frankly, my head is feeling a bit woozy at the moment. Sort of brain fog. I was working on transcripts and had to quit. Gonna take a stroll about and just rest a bit for the rest of the day.

3:30 PM: Second dose. Within an hour of second dose, I felt very tired and achey. I went to bed but couldn't read. I dozed for maybe an hour. I woke up and went to the bathroom and started shaking all over with chills. Put on sweater, covered up with a blanket, finally warmed up a little.

Hurt ALL over. Especially back, neck, hands, upper arms, thighs, knees. Even pain in pelvic girdle. Can't move my head because my neck is locked or frozen or something. I took two naproxen. Now going to take a warm bath.

This really is hellatious... kinda like dengue!

9:00 PM: Right after writing the above, I became so weak I couldn't even sit up. Just totally exhausted feeling. So, I laid down again and dozed off and on until about 15 minutes ago. I woke up and felt somewhat better. Another half hour and I'll take the third dose and see what that does. Don't think anything could be worse than what I've been through so far!

9:30: Third dose. I didn't get any worse, thank god, and actually began to pull out of it. By 10:30 PM, I decided I was able to focus enough to watch the last installment of a mystery show I had started a few days ago.

SECOND DAY (Today):

Slept pretty okay. Seems that the worst was at 7 PM yesterday just before I collapsed and went to sleep for two hours. I'm still feeling rather beat-up, achey, tired, and the back of the neck very, very stiff.

I took 20 mg of prednisone at 6:30 this morning and then took my first dose at 7 am. No noticeable reaction. As the time passed, I felt less achey though I am still quite tired. Went back to bed and took a nap from 9:30 to 10:30 AM

2:00 PM: After a light lunch, I took the second dose. I had initially thought I might need to have my lunch in my room, but I actually felt well enough to go downstairs. Paid attention to sensations in joints - everything seems to be okay, no more horrible pains, and feeling much less exhausted.

General comments:

Gaby pointed out that I was having a classic, rather severe, Herxheimer reaction. Yes, I've heard of it and hear people talking about it when they do anti-candida stuff, "die-off" and all that, but I've apparently never had it. I am NOW "experienced"! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jarisch%E2%80%93Herxheimer_reaction

The Jarisch–Herxheimer reaction is a reaction to endotoxin-like products released by the death of harmful microorganisms within the body during antibiotic treatment..... An association has been found between the release of heat-stable proteins from spirochetes and the reaction. Typically, the death of these bacteria and the associated release of endotoxins or lipoproteins occurs faster than the body can remove the substances. It usually manifests within a few hours of the first dose of antibiotic as fever, chills, rigor, hypotension, headache, tachycardia, hyperventilation, vasodilation with flushing, myalgia (muscle pain), exacerbation of skin lesions and anxiety. The intensity of the reaction indicates the severity of inflammation. Reaction commonly occurs within two hours of drug administration, but is usually self-limiting.

Yep, I sure checked all the boxes!!! In spades! Sheesh! That was AWFUL!

Now, I don't know for sure that it is amoebae, or some other pathogen, but I guess the fact that there was such an overwhelming reaction indicates that there is SOMETHING in there that needs killing.

Hope it's not as reactive next week.

So, my advice would be to anyone who decides to do this to NOT forego the cortisone!!! Yeah, I was doing it in the interests of science, but damn near killed me! I believe! I believe!!

Laura said:
So, my advice would be to anyone who decides to do this to NOT forego the cortisone!!! Yeah, I was doing it in the interests of science, but damn near killed me! I believe! I believe!!

And the pioneers of this protocol saw the exact same reactions nearly 30 years ago. From:

http://arthritistrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Anti-amoebic-Treatment-for-Rheumatoid-Disease.pdf

Those that are not too severely affected may notice nothing at all to possibly a mild fever, nausea and aching feelings like a mild case of “flu.” Those severely affected may notice fairly severe “flu” symptoms with headache, aching bones and skin, nausea, fever and chills, flushing of the skin and the joint swelling and pain may even increase in severity at first. [...] These symptoms may persist for several days and even four or five weeks in those rare patients who have many tissues infected with the amoebae. Even though this reaction is uncomfortable, it denotes a good sign that the amoebae are being killed and the body is ridding itself of the dead germs. This is a good indication that the Rheumatoid Diseases are caused by a form of germ (amoebic) and the reaction only verifies the fact that the body is getting rid of the dead germs. Within days to a few weeks at most, the “flu-like” reaction subsides and the swelling, pain and tenderness of the joints usually go away.

Very important research. This puts a whole new perspective to autoimmune diseases.

Gaby said:
Laura said:

And the pioneers of this protocol saw the exact same reactions nearly 30 years ago. From:

http://arthritistrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Anti-amoebic-Treatment-for-Rheumatoid-Disease.pdf

Those that are not too severely affected may notice nothing at all to possibly a mild fever, nausea and aching feelings like a mild case of “flu.” Those severely affected may notice fairly severe “flu” symptoms with headache, aching bones and skin, nausea, fever and chills, flushing of the skin and the joint swelling and pain may even increase in severity at first. [...] These symptoms may persist for several days and even four or five weeks in those rare patients who have many tissues infected with the amoebae. Even though this reaction is uncomfortable, it denotes a good sign that the amoebae are being killed and the body is ridding itself of the dead germs. This is a good indication that the Rheumatoid Diseases are caused by a form of germ (amoebic) and the reaction only verifies the fact that the body is getting rid of the dead germs. Within days to a few weeks at most, the “flu-like” reaction subsides and the swelling, pain and tenderness of the joints usually go away.

Very important research. This puts a whole new perspective to autoimmune diseases.

Sure does. I'm interested in seeing what course the whole experiment will take. Since so many effects are/can be attributed to autoimmune conditions, if you get rid of the cause of the autoimmunity, will all of those effects go away? Or not? What effects belong to other conditions/reactivity?

I was interested in the initial information in the first post because of the idea that it might help my own condition: rheumatoid arthritis, but what about the other conditions that are included?

If the amoeba is in the colon it is called ulcerative colitis. If in the small intestine it is called Crohn’s disease. If in the joints rheumatoid arthritis. If in the blood, lupus. If in the nerves, multiple sclerosis (MS). If in the skin psoriasis or scleroderma.

It has always struck me as surpassingly strange that one's body would just attack itself and not stop. It has also struck me as strange that somehow, over the past 7 years, I've managed to CONTROL the symptoms with diet about 90% or more. But there are clearly other symptoms that nothing controls or alleviates. And what about other forum members who try this or that and can control their symptoms of various autoimmune conditions up to a point, but can't really get major relief? I mean, it seems like a significant design flaw in the system.

But, if the issue is a sort of constant, ongoing infection that never leaves you because it is unrecognized and untreated, then it makes a little better sense. I've taken this same antibiotic for a gum abcess not long ago though in a much lower dose. It cleared up the infection and knocked down the inflammation in my jaw that I've lived with for 30 years or more for awhile. Then, that irritated feeling in the jaw came back. It's like the dose wasn't really strong enough to take care of the jaw business, or it did and then something moved back in. Heck, my dentist injected so much chlorine into that jaw that my innards should have been bleached white!!! And the inflammation just keeps coming back.

So, I guess my jaw thing will be the big test. If that goes away and never comes back, I will know that something dramatic has changed.

Tomorrow I start with the probiotics to replenish my critters. Don't see much point in taking them at the same time I'm killing them - not at that price!

Judging from the detox reaction, this experiment might be tricky in certain conditions. I think there could be flare-ups in cases of multiple sclerosis or Crohn's disease. At least one of the physicians described very promising results in multiple sclerosis but each individual case needed to be carefully assessed and handed with care. It sounds like they needed to give higher doses of cortisone.

The parasite in the following article is very destructive and by no means what we are dealing here... It might not be the most relieving example at the moment. Yet, it shows clearly how parasites can turn your immune system against you. It is a caricature of what could be happening for some people with autoimmune diseases:

http://www.sott.net/article/296394-Brain-eating-amoebas-kill-by-turning-your-body-against-you

The problem is that enzymes released by the immune cells can also end up destroying brain tissue. [...] To check their theory, Mannan and his colleagues compared how brain cells in a dish fared against the amoeba with or without help from immune cells. They found that when the immune response was absent, the brain cells survived about 8 hours longer.

In light of this, Mannan suggests that people infected by the amoeba should first be treated with drugs that dampen down the immune system, before getting medicines that target the parasite.

From a physiopathological point of view, it makes perfect sense. Judging also from all the drugs that worked in this anti-amoeba protocol in autoimmune diseases, it seems that we are dealing with a parasite (amoeba-like).

Giving cortisone before hand should dampen the Herxheimer response and/or any autoimmune flare-up, unless a person wants to specifically know if there are Herxheimer reactions in response to the anti-parasitic.

I can't wait to explore this post more. I too suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and skin rashes. One thing I can tell everyone for sure is that you do not know exactly what you are killing off when you treat yourself for a parasite. Candida gives off over. 70 toxins when you kill it. 2 of those can make you very sick and killing anything off is a LOT of stress on your liver. Changing your diet can lead to a massive die off. I didn't even know I had Candida overgrowth until I started eating coconut oil, which kills it.

My point is it never hurts to protect your liver . I take a liver support herbal supp daily and molybdenum. Drink lemon water like it's your job. I add stevia and make lemonade. And get at least 2000 iu of Vitamin C to boost your immune sys. It cut down on a LOT of Herx die off symptoms. Finally, a colon cleanse twice a year. Maybe more if you treated a parasite recently. I learned that they can be dead and not leave your body.

I've always believed my AI issues were more than what they seem to be. Feel that my body IS ATTACKING SOMETHING. Not randomly firing off and just attacking my joints and connective tissue and skin for no reason. I do use Neem oil. Therapeutic grade essential Neem oil. It smells so bad! But it's easy to disguise with other oils and it seriously works on some things

Thanks Foxx for your suggestion of Neem. I have been taking it for about 2 weeks now. I feel so much better. My head is clearer, more energy, much more able to talk with people and find ways to help. And it has helped my emotions come to the surface. I knew somewhere below it all that I am a kind, loving and caring man. Since I started Neem the emotions have come bubbling to the surface sometimes joy and laughter, sometimes I cry. But it is so good to have them out where I can touch them. I have been using the Nature's Way version
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=neem

Another body cleanser that has helped me is Pau d'Arco tea. The flavor takes some getting used to but it has really freshened me. Here is some info about it. http://paudarco.org/

Mac

Jodi said:
I can't wait to explore this post more. I too suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and skin rashes. One thing I can tell everyone for sure is that you do not know exactly what you are killing off when you treat yourself for a parasite. Candida gives off over. 70 toxins when you kill it. 2 of those can make you very sick and killing anything off is a LOT of stress on your liver. Changing your diet can lead to a massive die off. I didn't even know I had Candida overgrowth until I started eating coconut oil, which kills it.

Yeah, I had my liver checked out when I did the blood tests... it was good to go! Now I'll help it out with a little NAC and vitamin C.

I never had any real issues with candida die-off, as I mentioned above. And I'm sure all my candida is pretty dead after long spells on keto and using only xylitol and erythritol for a few years.

Jodi said:
My point is it never hurts to protect your liver . I take a liver support herbal supp daily and molybdenum. Drink lemon water like it's your job. I add stevia and make lemonade. And get at least 2000 iu of Vitamin C to boost your immune sys. It cut down on a LOT of Herx die off symptoms. Finally, a colon cleanse twice a year. Maybe more if you treated a parasite recently. I learned that they can be dead and not leave your body.

After a few years on keto, I went for a colonic a few months ago: NOTHING. My colon was clean as a whistle. That's one of the side benefits of paleo/keto diet! It also helps to kill of the candida gradually, I think. They just don't get anything to eat so they die.

Jodi said:
I've always believed my AI issues were more than what they seem to be. Feel that my body IS ATTACKING SOMETHING. Not randomly firing off and just attacking my joints and connective tissue and skin for no reason. I do use Neem oil. Therapeutic grade essential Neem oil. It smells so bad! But it's easy to disguise with other oils and it seriously works on some things

Neem oil was suggested earlier in the thread. I think I'd rather take the metronidazole and get 'er done!

Interesting stuff. I'm really curious what other autoimmune problems this may help with.

I did find another connection between amoebae's and arthritis - it's a virus that replicated inside amoebae's.

http://jvi.asm.org/content/early/2013/10/24/JVI.03141-13
Exposure to Mimivirus Collagen Promotes Arthritis

Collagens, the most abundant proteins in animals, also occur in some recently described nucleocytoplasmic large DNA viruses such as Mimiviridae, which replicate in amoebae. To clarify the impact of viral collagens on the immune response of animals exposed to Mimiviridae, we have investigated the localization of collagens in Acanthamoeba polyphaga mimivirus particles and the response of mice to immunization with mimivirus particles. Using protein biotinylation, we have first shown that viral collagen encoded by the ORF L71 is present at the surface of mimivirus particles. Exposure to mimivirus collagens elicited the production of anti-collagen antibodies in DBA/1 mice immunized intra-dermally with mimivirus protein extracts. This antibody response also targeted mouse collagen type II and was accompanied by T-cell reactivity to collagen and joint inflammation as observed in collagen-induced arthritis following immunization of mice with bovine collagen type II. The broad distribution of nucleocytoplasmic large DNA viruses in the environment suggests that humans are constantly exposed to such large virus particles. A survey of blood sera from human healthy subjects and from rheumatoid arthritis patients indeed demonstrated that 30% of healthy subject and 36% of rheumatoid arthritis sera recognized the major mimivirus capsid protein L425. Moreover, whereas 6% of healthy subject sera recognized the mimivirus collagen protein L71, 22% of rheumatoid arthritis sera were positive for mimivirus L71. Accordingly, our study shows that environmental exposure to mimivirus represents a risk factor in triggering autoimmunity to collagens.

So this could be part of the mechanism involved.

Following a few threads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acanthamoeba
Acanthamoeba is a genus of amoebae, one of the most common protozoa in soil, and frequently found in fresh water and other habitats. The cells are small, usually 15 to 35 μm in length and oval to triangular in shape when moving. Acanthamoeba is able to form metabolically inactive cysts which are resistant to fluctuations in temperature and pH levels. Cysts are also resistant to attack by the host immune system and facilitate the recurrence of infection. Most species are free-living bacterivores, but some are opportunists that can cause infections in humans and other animals.
[..]
The giant viruses Mimivirus, Megavirus and Pandoravirus infect Acanthamoeba.[20]

Currently Acanthamoeba is the only species that is a host for such huge viruses (who have more than 1000 protein-coding genes; for instance, Pandoravirus has about 2500 protein-coding genes in its genome).

A rather expensive book (Acanthamoeba: Biology and Pathogenesis) that had some interesting chapter titles listed.
The one that caught my eye was Multiple sclerosis and Acanthamoeba

http://www.jimmunol.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/190/1_MeetingAbstracts/197.13
An evidence for a potential linkage between Acanthamoeba infections and multiple sclerosis (P4551)

We recently observed that Acanthamoeba castellanii (ACA), a free-living amoeba, has the potential to trigger central nervous system autoimmunity by generating cross-reactive T cells for multiple myelin antigens, namely, proteolipid protein (PLP) 139-151 and myelin basic protein (MBP) 89-101. Additionally, the homology model derived for human leukocyte antigen-DR2, complexed with MBP 85-99 and its mimicry epitope, predicts the possibility of generating cross-reactive T cells for human MBP 85-99 in Acanthamoeba-exposed individuals. These observations raise a question whether prior exposure to ACA infection can trigger multiple sclerosis (MS). To address this hypothesis, we extracted DNA from cerebrospinal fluid obtained from MS patients and individuals with other neurological disorders, and subjected them to PCR that amplified a 500 bp fragment of the small subunit 18S rDNA using ACA-specific primer set. We confirmed the identity of PCR products by sequencing. To provide additional evidence for a linkage of ACA to MS pathogenesis, we asked whether anti-human PLP antibody can detect amoebic rhodanese-related sulfurtransferase (RST), since this protein contains the mimicry epitope ACA 83-95 for PLP 139-151. Through western blotting and LC/MS analyses, we noted that PLP antibody binds RST, suggesting that anti-Acanthamoeba immune responses have the potential to target myelin antigens. Collectively, the data suggest a linkage of ACA infection to MS pathogenesis.

It certainly makes a lot of sense that there is a culprit behind autoimmune disorders. I sure hope this experiment yields successful results for you Laura. Are you using the dosage Gaby suggested earlier in thread - 2250 mg Metronidazole and 900 mg Allopurinol? Taken for 2 days, off for 5 days, repeated for 6 weeks? And how much cortisone is recommended?

Sorry to hear about the miserable reaction to this little experiment, but a cure would certainly be a big pay off! Best of luck. :)

Lilou said:
It certainly makes a lot of sense that there is a culprit behind autoimmune disorders. I sure hope this experiment yields successful results for you Laura. Are you using the dosage Gaby suggested earlier in thread - 2250 mg Metronidazole and 900 mg Allopurinol? Taken for 2 days, off for 5 days, repeated for 6 weeks? And how much cortisone is recommended?

In that protocol they used an injection of a slow releasing "depot" cortisone. Alternatively, oral corticosteroids could be used, adjusting the dose depending on the reaction. That should be handy!

Gaby said:
Lilou said:

In that protocol they used an injection of a slow releasing "depot" cortisone. Alternatively, oral corticosteroids could be used, adjusting the dose depending on the reaction. That should be handy!

Yes. Like I said, because I wasn't convinced about the protocol and I wanted to assess the effects by noting any reactions, I did not take the cortisone. I took one this morning... like shutting the barn door after the horse is out!

I've taken my last dose for this round, pain has pretty much receded to about nothing, and the only thing I'm really feeling is very, VERY, tired. I actually fell asleep sitting up awhile ago!

This protocol you are doing it would work well only on pale/keto diet or it could work well without the diet? I'm asking because my mother has some arthritis problems and is very difficult for her at her age to do the diet completely

Back
Top Bottom