AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES CAUSED BY AN INFECTION?

Re: RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS CAUSED BY AN AMOEBA INFECTION?

irjO said:
This protocol you are doing it would work well only on pale/keto diet or it could work well without the diet? I'm asking because my mother has some arthritis problems and is very difficult for her at her age to do the diet completely

If she isn't able to do the diet because of her age, I doubt that she could go through this thing safely without close medical monitoring. Read my description again: it was hell for a day and people DO die from Herxheimer reactions in some cases.

Laura said:
If she isn't able to do the diet because of her age, I doubt that she could go through this thing safely without close medical monitoring. Read my description again: it was hell for a day and people DO die from Herxheimer reactions in some cases.

Well I said at her age because of the programs that are very strong in her sorry I didn't clarify that. She is in her 60s and for what you are describing it could be very well very hard for her although thinking more about it I doubt that if she doesn't like to try the diet for some amount of time this wound't work either cuz the problem may back because of the gluten, sugar and other things.. I only had some hope that this could be an alternative way of get those symptoms disappear without having to do a diet to fight autoimmune problems.

Very interested in all of this as I have a severe and chronic case of Psoriasis. Currently taking the latest oral medication, Otezla, which is slowly working. Not that impressed overall though. To be able to get to the root cause and be done with it would be huge for me. I would gladly go through any discomfort to achieve that.

Thanks for checking it out for us.

genero81 said:
Very interested in all of this as I have a severe and chronic case of Psoriasis. Currently taking the latest oral medication, Otezla, which is slowly working. Not that impressed overall though. To be able to get to the root cause and be done with it would be huge for me. I would gladly go through any discomfort to achieve that.

Thanks for checking it out for us.

It's not over! I have to finish the protocol and we have a few more autoimmune conditions in this house to test! I'm just thinking that if this pans out and actually works, what a boon it would be!

omg this is havy! ... after reading Amaizing Grace and what you have been through whole your life, I just wanted to wish you sucess with this protocol and fast recovery! big hug!

Laura said:
Gaby said:
Laura said:
So, my advice would be to anyone who decides to do this to NOT forego the cortisone!!! Yeah, I was doing it in the interests of science, but damn near killed me! I believe! I believe!!

And the pioneers of this protocol saw the exact same reactions nearly 30 years ago. From:

http://arthritistrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Anti-amoebic-Treatment-for-Rheumatoid-Disease.pdf

Those that are not too severely affected may notice nothing at all to possibly a mild fever, nausea and aching feelings like a mild case of “flu.” Those severely affected may notice fairly severe “flu” symptoms with headache, aching bones and skin, nausea, fever and chills, flushing of the skin and the joint swelling and pain may even increase in severity at first. [...] These symptoms may persist for several days and even four or five weeks in those rare patients who have many tissues infected with the amoebae. Even though this reaction is uncomfortable, it denotes a good sign that the amoebae are being killed and the body is ridding itself of the dead germs. This is a good indication that the Rheumatoid Diseases are caused by a form of germ (amoebic) and the reaction only verifies the fact that the body is getting rid of the dead germs. Within days to a few weeks at most, the “flu-like” reaction subsides and the swelling, pain and tenderness of the joints usually go away.

Very important research. This puts a whole new perspective to autoimmune diseases.

Sure does. I'm interested in seeing what course the whole experiment will take. Since so many effects are/can be attributed to autoimmune conditions, if you get rid of the cause of the autoimmunity, will all of those effects go away? Or not? What effects belong to other conditions/reactivity?

I was interested in the initial information in the first post because of the idea that it might help my own condition: rheumatoid arthritis, but what about the other conditions that are included?

If the amoeba is in the colon it is called ulcerative colitis. If in the small intestine it is called Crohn’s disease. If in the joints rheumatoid arthritis. If in the blood, lupus. If in the nerves, multiple sclerosis (MS). If in the skin psoriasis or scleroderma.

It has always struck me as surpassingly strange that one's body would just attack itself and not stop. It has also struck me as strange that somehow, over the past 7 years, I've managed to CONTROL the symptoms with diet about 90% or more. But there are clearly other symptoms that nothing controls or alleviates. And what about other forum members who try this or that and can control their symptoms of various autoimmune conditions up to a point, but can't really get major relief? I mean, it seems like a significant design flaw in the system.

But, if the issue is a sort of constant, ongoing infection that never leaves you because it is unrecognized and untreated, then it makes a little better sense. I've taken this same antibiotic for a gum abcess not long ago though in a much lower dose. It cleared up the infection and knocked down the inflammation in my jaw that I've lived with for 30 years or more for awhile. Then, that irritated feeling in the jaw came back. It's like the dose wasn't really strong enough to take care of the jaw business, or it did and then something moved back in. Heck, my dentist injected so much chlorine into that jaw that my innards should have been bleached white!!! And the inflammation just keeps coming back.

So, I guess my jaw thing will be the big test. If that goes away and never comes back, I will know that something dramatic has changed.

Tomorrow I start with the probiotics to replenish my critters. Don't see much point in taking them at the same time I'm killing them - not at that price!

This rings true for me. The diet and supplements and stress reduction have taken me to 80-85% of well being. But I'm still managing pain in my leg, foot and hips. I'm really anxious to hear your outcome with this treatment. I just received a copy of Arthritis by Anthony Di Fabio, MA & Gus J. Prosch JR, M.D.

Your progress reports are appreciated as I hope this might be a solution for myself and others as well.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery

Wow, that Herx reaction sounded nasty! It's a good sign that something IS happening though. Hang in there, and I hope you finally lick the whole thing.

Charade said:
This rings true for me. The diet and supplements and stress reduction have taken me to 80-85% of well being. But I'm still managing pain in my leg, foot and hips. I'm really anxious to hear your outcome with this treatment. I just received a copy of Arthritis by Anthony Di Fabio, MA & Gus J. Prosch JR, M.D.

Your progress reports are appreciated as I hope this might be a solution for myself and others as well.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery

Okay, today I'm okay. Taking probiotics to get some critter population in there. Pain still down, but easily tired. I think my body is working hard to rid itself of the detritus of scads of dead critters. I'll be doing the second round of the antibiotic next Wed and Thurs.

Laura,

I haven't figured out the cut n paste yet, and hope you see this! It sounds like you've been eating optimally and taking care of peripheral illness for a while! It's great to know that you've gotten better. I just started treatment I'm March and am still on an elimination diet. Oh, I have Leaky Gut and am treating that as well.

I'm still cleaning "house" so to speak so it's great to hear that you've obliterated Candida Thanks so much for your post! :)

Dear Laura,

Thanks you so much for trying this protocol, and checking it out for us, warm wishes and hope you flush out all the nasty critters !

A little update: I had to go to the optometrist... was feeling a bit poorly after a fairly decent start to the day. It's not pain, it's the brain fog, stiff neck, slight headache, slightly nauseous thing. Well, as we were about to drive away, I KNEW I wouldn't make it through the eye exam without help so I asked Joe to run inside and get me a prednisone and some water which I took and off we went.

I was right. I guess you could graph how bad I was feeling as a line going down at about a 45 degree angle and it took a little while for the cortisone to kick in. By the time we were heading back for the house, I was still feeling pretty awful. No pain, mind you, just every other herx symptom. As soon as I got in the house, I took 5 grams of Vitamin C and ate a little pickled fish. Now I feel somewhat better.

What is clear to me is that it takes days for whatever was dying off inside to clear out and that must be why the protocol lists a week of prednisone (or similar). So tomorrow, I'll know to take the darn thing when I get up instead of trying to tough it out until I collapse.

This is rough business, I tell ya!

Laura said:

:O So the doctor who wrote one of the papers was deadly serious when he said that he knew that cortisone was "bad", but that he found it is something that is needed for the first week.

This is serious stuff!

Hope you feel better and that much healing is heading your way!

Reading some of the above reminded me of a couple excerpts in the pleomorphism literature that may be relevant:

Hidden Killers: The Revolutionary Medical Discoveries of Professor Guenther Enderlein

Multiple Sclerosis: Halting the Degenerative Process (107-08) said:
[…] Currently, conventional medicine has no cure for the disabling illness, although drugs such as prednisone and ACTH may suppress the severity of attacks, while other medications are used to inhibit the body’s immune response. Physical therapy is also used to help victims learn to cope with their disabilities.

In contrast, Dr. Enderlein showed that multiple sclerosis is an infection that can often be healed. He confirmed that the blood of MS patients is greatly infested by different forms of microbial growth. Dr. Enderlein also revealed that these microorganisms within the patients’ blood are “programmed” to attack and destroy specific tissues of the nervous system, thereby causing progressive paralysis – a contention that helps explain why relatives of MS victims are highly susceptible to the disease. To combat the disease, Dr. Enderlein developed biological medications that are active against some forms of the microbes, which makes it possible to prevent or halt MS symptoms in certain patients.

In my private practice and through research using live blood analysis, I have discovered that treatment with Penicillum frequentans (QUENTAKEHL) offers strong hope that the progress of multiple sclerosis can be stopped. In addition, I sometimes use the medications Aspergillus niger (NIGERSAN) and RECARCIN to fight MS. By rubbing the drop form of the biological medication into the thigh area and other parts of the body, I have been able to successfully stop the disease from progressing and further damaging my patients’ tissues in some cases (injections can also be effectively used, but are not permitted in Sweden). The biological medications destroy the pathogenic microorganisms that attack the tissues, and halt progress of the disease. However, because MS is degenerative and nerve damage already caused by the infection is irreversible, the patients will never return to 100 percent function. As a result, it is critical for patients to receive treatment as early as possible to stop the damage caused by the microorganisms.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to help every MS patient, probably because Dr. Enderlein did not have the opportunity to develop biological medications against the entire complex of microorganisms that produce the MS syndrome. However, many successes against the disease are possible, and many of the patients I treated have remained stable and are doing well years after they initially came to me.

The Cancer Microbe

Reuben’s Scleroderma (43-52) said:
Reuben was a 37 year-old Mexican veteran and the youngest patient on the dermatology ward. I will never forget the look in his tormented eyes as he implored us to save him from the horrors of his relentless disease.

Scleroderma comes from Greek words meaning “hard skin.” In scleroderma the body’s fibrous tissue thickens and the skin toughens and constricts. It becomes difficult for patients to walk, use their hands, open their mouth, or even smile. The internal organs suffer as well. Reuben was becoming slowly encased in skin as hard as stone.

His suffering was made more severe by sores of the fingers and toes. Deep and painful ulcers pierced the flesh of his back and shoulders. Reuben was a pitiful sight, and with each passing month the skin ulcerations became larger and more numerous. There was little we could do to help him. None of us knew what caused scleroderma or how to cure it.

Scleroderma is closely related to two other diseases: rheumatoid arthritis and lupus erythematosus. All three diseases have similar immunologic abnormalities which link them together as so-called “connective tissue” diseases. It is believed that people with these three diseases are “allergic” and “autoimmune” to their own body tissue.

We all knew what would happen to Reuben. His internal organs would become more and more scarred, and when they could no longer function, Reuben’s agony would end. Until that time, the nurses tried to make him as comfortable as possible.

Reuben agreed to let me take a piece of skin to test for germs. I chose a hard, stonelike area of skin next to a large ulcer on his back. The skin was deadened with an anaesthetic and the area was carefully cleansed to minimize contamination from surface skin bacteria. The biopsy was over in moments. Half the tissue was sent to Eugenia Craggs in the TB lab; the other half to the pathologist.

By choosing Reuben’s scleroderma skin tissue as a “control,” I was set on a path of scientific study from which I could never veer, no matter how hard I tried. It was a path of destiny that led me into the secrets of scleroderma, cancer and AIDS, and finally into the origin of life itself.

When Eugenia received Reuben’s tissue she added a little sterile saline water and mashed the specimen in a tissue grinder. Placing a tiny amount of the mashed tissue onto a glass slide, she then colored the tissue with the acid-fast stain. The stained material on the slide was covered with a thin glass coverslip. Eugenia put the slide onto her microscope and focused the oil-immersion lens that magnified Reuben’s tissue preparation one thousand times.

After studying Reuben’s tissue carefully, Eugenia phoned me at the dermatology clinic. “This is Eugenia in TB. The specimen on Reuben Gomez is positive for acid-fast bacteria.”

“That’s impossible,” I said. “The skin is from a patient with scleroderma. There aren’t any acid-fast bacteria in scleroderma!”

Eugenia was emphatic. “Well, I don’t know anything about scleroderma, but I’ve been working in TB for years. And I know acid-fast rods when I see them. If you don’t believe me, you can come over to the lab and look for yourself.”

As I peered into Eugenia’s microscope, I saw the red-stained acid-fast rods in Reuben’s preliminary smear preparation. The red rods looked just like the mycobacteria that cause tuberculosis and leprosy. Eugenia had made a tremendous discovery. These microbes had to be important in Reuben’s disease because it is never normal to find acid-fast bacteria in tissue.

What kind of mycobacteria were they? There was no way of telling until the microbes were grown in culture. All the acid-fast rods of the various species of mycobacteria can look the same. In order to determine the precise identification of Reuben’s microbe we would have to wait until the culture was tested biochemically.

Eugenia had already planted Reuben’s tissue on TB media but it could take weeks to grow. We had to be patient. In the meantime, I was confident the pathologist would see acid-fast bacteria in Reuben’s tissue sections, just as Eugenia had seen them in Reuben’s smear preparation. I was sure we had discovered the hidden cause of scleroderma.

My pipe dream was quickly burst by the pathologist who couldn’t find acid-fast bacteria in Reuben’s slides. I rechecked to be sure; there was none. Why were numerous acid-fast bacteria present in Eugenia’s preparation, but not in the pathologist’s tissue sections? Did the histologic process of chemically “fixing” the tissue somehow destroy Reuben’s microbes or make them unstainable with the acid-fast dye?

There was another complication. A review of Reuben’s old medical records showed he was diagnosed with a mild case of lung tuberculosis seven years before his scleroderma began. As proof, there was a lab report stating that Mycobacterium tuberculosis had been cultured from his sputum. Were the acid-fast bacteria in Reuben’s scleroderma related to his old lung TB infection? If so, I was confident Eugenia would be able to grow Mycobacterium tuberculosis in her lab.

After several weeks of incubation, a microbe grew from Reuben’s tissue but it was not Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Some of the bacteria were typical rod-shaped acid-fast bacteria; but most of the forms were round and “coccus-like” and not acid-fast. In addition, some of Reuben’s microbes were fungus-like and produced long chains and filaments. Exactly what kind of germ was growing? I had never seen such a peculiar microbe with so many different forms! Eugenia suspected Reuben’s microbe might be an acid-fast fungus called “Nocardia.”

In the classification system of bacteria, the acid-fast mycobacteria are closely related to fungi. “Myco” is the Greek word for fungus. For the first half of this century, microbiologists believed that only a few species of mycobacteria were important in human and animal disease. The two most common diseases caused by acid-faxt mycobacteria are tuberculosis (caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis), and leprosy (caused by Mycobacterium leprae). In the textbooks it is always stated that the germ of leprosy has never been cultured, but I later learned that this “fact” is not true.

In the 1960s, mycobacteriologists began to recognize other species of mycobacteria that cause disease in human beings. These newly discovered species are termed “atypical,” “anonymous,” or “unclassified” mycobacteria. This was confusing to me because I was not well-trained in microbiology in medical school. However, in my scleroderma research, I soon discovered that most physicians are not well-versed in bacteriology. They simply do not have the necessary laboratory training and expertise to be knowledgeable in this field.

When the pathologist could not find acid-fast bacteria in Reuben’s tissue, I wondered if Reuben’s germ might be the leprosy germ. Leprosy mycobacteria are more difficult to stain than TB mycobacteria. And there are certain forms of leprosy in which acid-fast bacilli are extremely difficult to detect. Special acid-fast staining techniques have been devised to detect leprosy mycobacteria in tissue sections. I asked the technicians in the histology lab to try some of these special acid-fast stains on Reuben’s sections.

One of the special leprosy stains proved successful. After many hours of microscopic examination, I found a few acid-fast rods in Reuben’s skin. The red rods looked just like TB and leprosy bacilli.

Eugenia and other microbiologists could not precisely identify Reuben’s microbe. They classified it as a possible “atypical” mycobacterium, or perhaps a fungus. I was learning that microbiology is not the exact science that I thought it was.

[…] Several months later I received a report from Richard E. Mansfield MD, Chief of the Laboratory Branch at Carville. He wrote: “The reason it took so long to get the final report was that a rapid-growing, acid-fast bacterium was cultured from the tissue you sent. We have found this to be Mycobacterium fortuitum. We have just received confirmation from the National Centers for Communicable Disease in Atlanta, Georgia. Acid-fast bacteria were found on rare slides. Further recuts are being made and I will send you a marked slide where definite acid-fast rods can be identified.” Doctor Mansfield expressed some concern as to whether the tissue might be contaminated, or whether the acid-fast bacteria might have developed after the scleroderma process took hold. I decided not to tell him how I got the samples. Ruth Gordon wrote that she also had cultured Mycobacterium fortuitum and remarked, “We had better luck in recognizing it than some cultures you have sent us.”

Mycobacterium fortuitum is an “atypical” species of mycobacteria that can cause TB in humans. There was no way it could have been a contaminant. I was confident it was the same acid-fast microbe that Eugenia had detected a year and a half earlier. Why was it so difficult to recognize it at that time? Eugenia frequently cultured Mycobacterium fortuitum in her TB lab. Perhaps Reuben’s acid-fast microbe had changed as he neared death, so that the identity and classification of the microbe were now more obvious.

From my work at the VA with Eugenia I learned one important thing: microbes change form. Sometimes they appear one way, sometimes another. And they could fool the experts. The appearance of the microbe depended on what it was fed in the laboratory. In the textbooks of microbiology the classification of organisms was simple and straightforward. But in reality, it was not that way at all.

Laura, I'm sorry that you've had to endure such a heavy Herxheimer reaction -- I hope that the worst is over, and that you begin to feel better this weekend.

Gaby said:
Laura said:

:O So the doctor who wrote one of the papers was deadly serious when he said that he knew that cortisone was "bad", but that he found it is something that is needed for the first week.

This is serious stuff!

Hope you feel better and that much healing is heading your way!

Well, today I feel like a new person. I think what helped the most yesterday was the two 5 gram doses of Vitamin C. Yes, I did take a cortisone pill yesterday, but I don't think it helped as much as the C did. And when I started declining again, I took another dose of C and that helped within minutes. Note to self and others: herx reactions can be seriously ameliorated with higher doses of vitamin C, it appears.

I had noticed that my weight had gone up by several kilos on the second day of the protocol, but this morning, it was down a couple kilos. I guess that was inflammation/water retention.

I don't feel inclined to take any more of the allopurinol so unless there is some serious reason to do so, I think I'll just take Vitamin C until I do the next round. I'm replenishing my critters with a good probiotic, taking monolaurin and oak bark extract, trace minerals and an extra boron.

I can only say it was really a rough ordeal but it will have been worth it if, after I finish the next five rounds, I am cured of this nasty condition I've suffered from most of my life.

The allopurinol is indicated in the protocol only for the first week and as an anti-parasitic, hence its high doses as opposed to other medical indications. It is like an anti-parasitic induction phase, making the first week the most difficult one of the protocol.

Vitamin C also helps heal collagen. So if lots of die-off reactions were causing inflammatory tissue reaction, vitamin C sounds like a great one to take. Taking bone broth regularly will also help the gut and the tissues.

Back
Top Bottom