AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES CAUSED BY AN INFECTION?

What I also wanted to ask: are you in treatment, I mean do you see a medical doctor of any kind more or less regularly?
I spent the whole last year in hospitals / trips to the doctor (well, the same for the last 5 years). I almost caught pneumonia in the hospital (the guys were sick in my room, I was on antibiotics). Unfortunately, the doctors helped almost nothing, except for pain relief.
There is no point in permanent doctors, they just tell you: your disease is incurable, here are more pills for pain relief. I got used to this attitude of doctors for 15 years of illness.

- You should remove all grains, including the "hypoallergenic" grains. They are likely going to be driving the autoimmune process. This is the buckwheat, the pasta, any form of bread - wheat or rye.
Okay, but this is the only food I’m not allergic to. What do I have then? I do not know how to eat air.

- You should reduce the potatoes, and potentially eliminate them completely - at least for 3-4 months.
I rarely eat potatoes, probably once a month.

- Your best bet temporarily is to focus primarily on animal foods - mainly meat, fat and organs. Egg white is likely going to cause an issue, but it might not (that is for you to find out)
Egg white was allergic. I have not tried it for a long time, a little for the test - I’ll check.
Regarding fatty meat, I ate a lot of it (fatty pork). But according to blood tests (I rent regularly), cholesterol increased. I became less fatty meat. Do I need to pay attention to cholesterol?
I hate animal organs from childhood ((But what to do. Which organs and which animals should I start with? In what form should I use them (I hope not in raw). Boil organs or fry? Yes, I see the kidneys and the liver.

- Get your vitamin D checked. If it is low, it would be worth pumping that up slightly with a good quality D3/K2. You are aiming for anywhere from 40-60 ng/ml (conservative estimate).
I am afraid to drink tablets. A lot of vitamin D contains cod liver (fish). Can I try it?

- There is some cool information on here about auto-hemotherapy. You should take a look!
Thanks, I'll take a look. So far, I really can’t imagine in what clinics this is done in the country.

-------------------------------------
So, remove all my food from the diet and eat 95% of meat, liver, kidneys of animals. Did I understand correctly? Is there one meat seizing meat?
I will not turn into a cannibal? (I hope not;))

Hello NImTzo.

I don't suffer from any autoimmune disease but when I decided to give up biscuits,cakes,sweets and bread I thought I's starve. Not only did I not starve but I stopped eating during the day.

For breakfast I had 2 rashers of bacon 2 sausages(gluten free) and a few pieces of liver. All these were fried in home made lard....lots of lard.

Evening meal consists of either Lamb chop, pork chop,. or beef steak and a few vegetables. The meat, including the steak, I cook in the oven with lots of lard and I season with sea salt.

Eating those two meals a day means I never feel hungry and I don't eat my evening meal any later than 6.00pm.
I really hope you start to feel better soon.

Okay, but this is the only food I’m not allergic to. What do I have then? I do not know how to eat air

I will not turn into a cannibal? (I hope not;))

There was this research this was published recently, that explains how a virus-derived protein trigerres depression.

A research team has confirmed that a virus-derived protein holds the key to determining why overfatigue and major stress can lead to depression.

The researchers, from the Jikei University School of Medicine, discovered that the protein dramatically increases the risk of depression. They said that people who have this protein are 12.2 times more likely to develop this mental health problem.

“The fact that overfatigue leads to depression seemed to be self-evident, but actually it has not been verified until now,”...

Kondo, who has studied the relationship between fatigue and viruses for many years, had discovered that the human herpes virus type 6 (HHV6) increases sharply in saliva when fatigue builds up.

HHV6 is the virus that causes exanthema subitum, a disease in infants. Almost all people are infected during their infancy, and after that, they carry the latent virus in their bodies.

Normally, the virus remains dormant, but when the body is fatigued, HHV6 is awakened and is present in saliva to escape from the weakening host. Some of the virus reaches and infects the olfactory bulb, the center in the brain connected to the sense of smell, by flowing up from the mouth to the nose.

The research team determined that if reinfection occurs, SITH1 proteins are produced in the olfactory bulb. By their production, excessive calcium flows into brain cells and kill them, which was discovered through experiments using cultured cells and mice.

Furthermore, by the cell deaths in the olfactory bulb, nerve regeneration is restrained at the hippocampus, which controls human memory.

The team conducted an experiment called “depression model,” in which researchers measure the time it takes for mice placed under stress to give up escaping from the situation. Mice that are made to produce the protein at their olfactory bulb by researchers give up earlier than normal mice, and when they were given an antidepressant drug, they recovered to the level of normal mice.

In addition, the team studied the presence of antibodies, which prove the existence of the protein, among 166 blood samples. They were confirmed in 80 percent of patients with depression. Also, those patients have much more of the protein than healthy people.

From these results, the team deduced how depression is developed through overfatigue and stress: HHV6 appears in saliva through overfatigue and so forth; the olfactory bulb is reinfected, producing SITH1; due to SITH1, the state of brain cells changes dramatically at the olfactory bulb, hippocampus and other brain areas; and hypobulia, or lowered ability to make decisions and act, and other symptoms occur.

Kondo discovered the SITH1 protein more than 10 years ago. He playfully named it after the villain Dark Lord of the Sith in the "Star Wars" science fiction film series as it “takes people inside the dark side.”

He came to realize that the SITH1 protein played a role in increasing stress as the more he studied it and holds the key to how depression develops.

“Stress can cause anxiety and fear. These are important causes to developing depression,” Kondo said. “When I realized that, the wise Yoda’s famous words, 'Fear is the path to the dark side,' came to mind.”

Kondo was informed that his latest paper was accepted for publication by iScience on May 4, which is coincidentally recognized as “Star Wars Day.”

I've listened to this video podcast today and thought it was interesting and related to the topic discussed here:

Here's part of the blurb and I'll add a few notes below:

Pandemic aside, we’re seeing a national immune crisis. Autoimmune conditions continue to rise to record numbers, not to mention all of the chronic mystery illnesses that so many people struggle with daily. I’ve experienced this firsthand, along with the corresponding frustration and fear. There is an intriguing hypothesis about these conditions that I get into with my guests, Dana Parish and Dr. Steven Phillips, today on The Doctor’s Farmacy: underlying infections. Sneaky tick-borne diseases like Lyme, parasitic infections, and certain viruses can be extremely hard to diagnose. Meanwhile, they can contribute to an immune system collapse and other life-threatening breakdowns throughout the entire body.

Dr. Phillips and Dana Parish share their incredible stories of overcoming chronic stealth infections after numerous doctors couldn’t help them. Lyme was a common factor for both of them, while Dr. Phillips was also able to diagnose Bartonella in Dana. At their worst, they both had extremely limited mobility and felt their lives were at risk. Dana shares that in addition to recovering her mobility and strength, treating these infections also had a profound impact on her mental health by reducing her anxiety and depression. Dr. Phillips’ journey not only forced him to be his own detective to find healing, but also showed him how much discordance there is among conventional medicine in treating diseases like Lyme.

For those who have read this thread, what they say isn't really surprising or new, but I think it is interesting as an introduction to the topic and also how it seems that some doctors are coming to the conclusion that sometimes, parasitic infections or other underlying infections can bring about an autoimmune condition. The book they mention sounds interesting too!

In the video, they also talk a bit about 'long COVID' and how Ivermectin is good for that. And Dr. Hyman also briefly mentions hyperbaric chambers amongst other treatments. :-)

I have a friend who is very dear to me and she has asked me if I can give her some advice about her ailments. According to herself she gets infections that last for a long time, for example she has had otitis recently, sore throat, and others. She gets dizzy, has bad digestion and finds it hard to eat. She is now quite anxious and scared because she does not know what could be happening to her, she is not vaccinated against COVID by the way.

I asked her if she could switch to a carnivore diet or at least try it and she tells me that when she eats meat she feels bloated.

She also feels tired and confused often. She wants to know what kind of tests she should ask for. I can think of a complete blood and urine analysis, allergen tests, but she asks me what parameters she should ask to have analyzed.

I don't know how best to advise her and I am a little worried about her. Could she be suffering from an autoimmune condition?

In addition to the above, she also told me that her whole body itches and she has difficulty breathing. I asked her if by any chance she was bitten by a bug, and apparently she assures me that about a month ago during her stay in London, she noticed an itching in her arm.

Hey all, didn’t think I would start a new thread since what I want to discuss is related to this.

Anyway, has anyone had experience with/treating PANS (pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome)? It is basically brain inflammation in kids characterized by mood disorders/eating issues/and a whole host of other not great things. It is brought on by a strep infection or bartonella or Lyme or mycotoxins (I’m sure there are other triggers too).

I’m asking because I’ve basically narrowed down what is going on with my kid to this. He has been in and out of sickness most of the year. He will be “off” for lack of a better term and I take him in they write it off as an ear infection he gets antibiotics. His symptoms improve for two months and then return. So the antibiotics are helping something but an ear infection is not the root cause. We just moved out of a very moldy environment and I believe this was the trigger for the inflammation.

His symptoms are severe mood swings, picky eating, sleep disruption, histamine intolerance and learning regression. For example, he is two and was rapidly progressing with learning (able to say the alphabet and count to 30 on his own) and then he had a flare up and can’t even sit through reading a book let alone be able to learn anything new or have concentration to do anything challenging.

PANS is a relatively new phenomenon but I think it could be the missing link for a lot of kids behavior issues. There are even parents reporting that once their kids were treated for whatever infection was causing the inflammation their gender dysphoria symptoms resolved!

Long story short any insight would be greatly appreciated. I’m working on lowering the histamine load, liver support and I ordered bentonite clay for use as a binder because that’s supposed to work well for mold binding.
I’m honestly a wreck, this has taken the wind out of me. Having a child who is sick but doesn’t appear sick just hyperactive/picky/obsessive/hypersensitive/moody is the absolute worst because you know something is wrong and no one believes you.

Long story short any insight would be greatly appreciated. I’m working on lowering the histamine load, liver support and I ordered bentonite clay for use as a binder because that’s supposed to work well for mold binding.
I’m honestly a wreck, this has taken the wind out of me. Having a child who is sick but doesn’t appear sick just hyperactive/picky/obsessive/hypersensitive/moody is the absolute worst because you know something is wrong and no one believes you.

You have to be strong in your head to hold on, I hope you have support from someone close to you, or even from a professional, or communicate in this sense also through this Forum.

Following the idea of bentonite clay, I would also say activated charcoal, to be tried with caution, risk of constipation, reduces the effects of medication, you need to be well hydrated...
And always vitamin C which in this case avoids the accumulation of histamine.
Good luck, and someone with more experience in this area will be able to help you better.

Hey all, didn’t think I would start a new thread since what I want to discuss is related to this.

Anyway, has anyone had experience with/treating PANS (pediatric acute-onset neuropsychiatric syndrome)? It is basically brain inflammation in kids characterized by mood disorders/eating issues/and a whole host of other not great things. It is brought on by a strep infection or bartonella or Lyme or mycotoxins (I’m sure there are other triggers too).

I’m asking because I’ve basically narrowed down what is going on with my kid to this. He has been in and out of sickness most of the year. He will be “off” for lack of a better term and I take him in they write it off as an ear infection he gets antibiotics. His symptoms improve for two months and then return. So the antibiotics are helping something but an ear infection is not the root cause. We just moved out of a very moldy environment and I believe this was the trigger for the inflammation.

His symptoms are severe mood swings, picky eating, sleep disruption, histamine intolerance and learning regression. For example, he is two and was rapidly progressing with learning (able to say the alphabet and count to 30 on his own) and then he had a flare up and can’t even sit through reading a book let alone be able to learn anything new or have concentration to do anything challenging.

PANS is a relatively new phenomenon but I think it could be the missing link for a lot of kids behavior issues. There are even parents reporting that once their kids were treated for whatever infection was causing the inflammation their gender dysphoria symptoms resolved!

Hi Expedition,

First of all, have you ruled out Strep? Has he had any testing for lyme and/or coinfections?

How does he respond to binders? I know you said you have purchased bentonite, but have you had him on other binders like charchoal/modified citrus pectin in the past? You are looking for his symptoms to settle temporarily around 30 minutes after consuming the binder.

Since you were previously living in a moldy house, he could be dealing with Chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS). If that is the case then expelling mycotoxins in the long-term would be necessary to address the neuroinflammation. I have two videos on this here:

In addition to the above, she also told me that her whole body itches and she has difficulty breathing. I asked her if by any chance she was bitten by a bug, and apparently she assures me that about a month ago during her stay in London, she noticed an itching in her arm.

Hey Tristan, I'm late to seeing this, but I'm wondering how it went with your friend? My question is - has she been to see a doctor/naturopath/any other sort of healer about the condition she's in? It sounds horrible, and I think she needs professional medical assistance.

I'm certainly no expert, and I can't say if she has an auto-immune condition, but all of the things you've described seem like telltale signs of inflammation. In that sense, I think you were right to suggest a change in diet. That said, for many people, going right to carnivore may be too much change all at once.

Taking it step by step may be more palatable for her, especially if she has the sense that meat makes her bloated. For instance, would she be willing to reduce her intake of some of the major inflammatories like carbs (especially a big no to gluten), eggs, and dairy? Then see how she feels, and continue with the reductions, etc.

I think a food allergy test would be a really good step forwards, too.

Hi Expedition,

First of all, have you ruled out Strep? Has he had any testing for lyme and/or coinfections?

How does he respond to binders? I know you said you have purchased bentonite, but have you had him on other binders like charchoal/modified citrus pectin in the past? You are looking for his symptoms to settle temporarily around 30 minutes after consuming the binder.

Since you were previously living in a moldy house, he could be dealing with Chronic inflammatory response syndrome (CIRS). If that is the case then expelling mycotoxins in the long-term would be necessary to address the neuroinflammation. I have two videos on this here:

Hi Keyhole, thank you for the reply.

He was tested for strep two months ago (negative) but has an appt on Monday and I will ask for another one. He has had a red throat and hard time swallowing but no fever to go along with it. One of the PANS symptoms is a hard time swallowing so I suppose that would go hand in hand with strep. He has never been tested for Lyme or anything else, but I will ask for those as well.

As a side note, my throat was really inflamed after living in mold and it didn’t subside until I took a large dose of an anti-fungal. I’ve given him super small doses of the anti-fungal and it did calm things down for a bit. But the symptoms always come back.

As far as binders go I was giving him activated charcoal which did seem to lessen things but I didn’t want to overdue that and start to deplete nutrients. Maybe I’ll go back to that until the clay gets here.

I will watch the videos tonight and maybe they will help me formulate a better plan. I wonder if CIRS has anything to do with MCAS or if they are related as a lot of his symptoms look like MCAS.

Can binders be used long term? Is the modified citrus pectin a better binder than the clay? Sorry if those are dumb questions I just haven’t been working with them for very long.

You have to be strong in your head to hold on, I hope you have support from someone close to you, or even from a professional, or communicate in this sense also through this Forum.

Following the idea of bentonite clay, I would also say activated charcoal, to be tried with caution, risk of constipation, reduces the effects of medication, you need to be well hydrated...
And always vitamin C which in this case avoids the accumulation of histamine.
Good luck, and someone with more experience in this area will be able to help you better.

Thank you for the response, Zak. That is an incredibly important reminder to be strong and seek out help for myself so that I can be the rock in this situation.

I haven’t been able to speak to many people about this, his father doesn’t understand/want to learn about what’s going on with histamine/food/inflammation/mold. I’m literally the only one doing research and exhausting myself to find answers.

So yeah, I should seek out some counseling along with what I do now (which is power walking or as I like to call it mad walking).

I do give him vitamin C but I’ve read contradictory things about it actually creating a histamine response, so maybe I don’t use it as much as I should.

I' m sorry for that. As a mother I understand you, dealing with something like that with such a small child is really difficult. I obviously agree with all the testing needs that have been indicated to you. At least to get some definite indication of the organic issue. I have no experience on dealing with such things ( which are becoming more and more common) on such young children. But, simply reading you, I thought that it could also be a "healing" crisis. , expulsive, brought on by a parasite that has lost even partial nourishment. I repeat, in my opinion, too, it is necessary to do all the appropriate investigations, as gently as possible, with a special eye on the little one's psyche, so as to prevent him from associating the "change," of home, of life, with illness. Basically, and just reading you, it also occurred to me that in any case once it is established what the organic trigger is, an adaptogen would not hurt. but I have no experience with the use of adaptogens on such small children. So I would suggest referral to a pediatrician with expertise in this area.

@Keyhole

Holy cow! Thank you so much for making and sharing those videos. I didn’t know you had your own channel before now. I’m going to have to rewatch Is Your Brain on Fire ten more times to truly grasp what’s going on but you’ve just given me pieces of the puzzle that have been missing. I’ve gotten a lot of information about mast cells but your videos encompass so much more. And CIRS makes a lot more sense.

As far as supplements go I won’t be trying all of them because he’s little but also because he has been super sensitive to things lately, even emulsified fish oil has been too much for him. Would you formulate dosages of like NAC by weight? There really isn’t a ton of data out there on how to be your child’s doctor (without becoming a doctor). LOL

I will watch the videos tonight and maybe they will help me formulate a better plan. I wonder if CIRS has anything to do with MCAS or if they are related as a lot of his symptoms look like MCAS.

MCAS is basically just cells of the immune system releasing high levels of histamine. I have difficulty seeing it as an individual/genuine entity in and of itself which needs to be treated. Rather, its a PROCESS. What I mean by this is that there is always an underlying cause or driver, and without treating that cause, the mast cells remain hyper-activated. Low histamine diets and mast cell stabilizers are basically symptom management, and will not address the cause. They are useful band-aids, but the issue usually requires more complex investigation.

I believe CIRS is usually the driving cause of MCAS in people who have been exposed to mold or have harbored stealth infections. A simple way to conceptualize CIRS is like this:

1. Someone is exposed to a biotoxin-producing microorganism (mold, bacteria, etc)
  2. Their innate immune system detects this and stimulates a strong systemic inflammatory response. This includes activation of mast cells. It can also present in exactly the same way as an infection (body pains, sore throat, sickness type behavior).
  3. In a healthy system, the innate immune system should communicate with the adaptive immune cells, which are designed to "tag" these mycotoxins and carry them out of the body. However, in someone with certain genetic predisposition, the communication fails. The adaptive immune cells cannot "see" the biotoxin, and therefore cannot properly expel it/detoxify it.
  4. This means that the biotoxin stays "stuck" in the body, cause chronic innate immune activation. This will NOT show up on normal bloodwork (ESR, CRP) because the main inflammatory blood markers are associated with an adaptive immune response, which is lacking in people with this problem. This progressive condition is called CIRS.

Because of what I described above, the simple act of getting out of the moldy environment or killing the infection is usually not enough to stop the inflammatory response. This is because the biotoxins stick around for too long.

The best way is to enhance the clearance of these biotoxins through use of binders, enhancing the endogenous pathways of detoxification (using glutathione, choline, and bile-enhancing supplements/herbs), and managing/reducing inflammation.

Can binders be used long term? Is the modified citrus pectin a better binder than the clay? Sorry if those are dumb questions I just haven’t been working with them for very long.

They are not dumb questions at all. Usually it is good to use a mixture of several binders. This would be MCP, clay, and charcoal simultaneously. I wouldn't worry about nutrient depletion as long as they are taken 1-2 hours away from meals/supplements.

@Keyhole

Holy cow! Thank you so much for making and sharing those videos. I didn’t know you had your own channel before now. I’m going to have to rewatch Is Your Brain on Fire ten more times to truly grasp what’s going on but you’ve just given me pieces of the puzzle that have been missing. I’ve gotten a lot of information about mast cells but your videos encompass so much more. And CIRS makes a lot more sense.

As far as supplements go I won’t be trying all of them because he’s little but also because he has been super sensitive to things lately, even emulsified fish oil has been too much for him.

Yeah, there are a lot of supplements and not all of them are necessary. I would prioritize the magnesium, taurine, NAC, phosphatidylcholine, and perhaps a few of the anti-inflammatory herbs. Thiamine is also suuuuper useful in kids with neuroinflammation.

Would you formulate dosages of like NAC by weight? There really isn’t a ton of data out there on how to be your child’s doctor (without becoming a doctor). LOL

Depending on the age of your child, the doses can be dosed based on weight. However, for children over 5 years old a supplement like NAC is generally safe when taken at 500-600mg per day as far as I know.

For what its worth, PANS/PANDAS (in the absence of strep infection or tick-borne illness) can commonly be CIRS which is merely presenting in the brain. I am not an expert in this area, but I find it be an interesting avenue of research because it explains a lot.

You may want to learn more about these conditions here:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom