Beautiful Art: architecture, paintings, sculptures, etc

Superb work in the sculpture of drapery IMHO, and what can be called "technical perfection" for the Charioteer of Delphi, one of the most famous sculptures of ancient Greece, and one of the only five large bronzes that have survived from the classical period. This sculpture of a size of 182 cm high (6 ft) was discovered in 1896 near the Temple of Apollo, and is preserved in the Archaeological Museum of Delphi. It is dated, thanks to the name engraved on the base that supported the statue, between two Panhellenic Games, either in 478 or 474, or between 470 and 467 BC.

51002564488_8bd3f44cb3_b.jpg

Details:

ob_abefe8_aurige-g-b-pedersen.jpg

Delphi_charioteer_INIOCHOS+43.jpg

delphi-charioteer.jpg

This is certainly a wonderful thread! Thanks for all the wonderful pictures!
I am sorry to say that it brings an old German song to my mind: "Besuchen Sie Europa, solange es noch steht!" Come and visit Europe as long as it is still here. This song was published by "Geier Sturzflug" in 1983. And if you see what the climate activists are now doing with old pictures . . . . I will post this song in the music thread.

Fresco -750 cm (24.6 ft) wide and 500 cm high (16.4 ft)- of the Italian renaissance painter Raphael, The Expulsion of Heliodorus from the Temple. It was painted between 1511 and 1512 as part of Raphael's commission to decorate the rooms -that are now known as the Stanze di Raffaello, in the Apostolic Palace in the Vatican- with frescoes. The scenery symbolizes the protection offered by God to the Church against its enemies and illustrates the biblical episode from 2 Maccabees (3:21-28). The work contains a self-portrait by Raphael, near the far left and Pope Julius II, whom commissioned frescoes, witnesses the scene from his litter at the left.

Héliodore chassé du temple, Raphael.jpeg

Details:

Héliodore chassé du temple, Raphael, détail 1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom