Bits and pieces from Austria

Thank you Naorma for opening up this particular thread.

This is apt to make the Germans become envious (if only they were interested in such things).

Over here the federal president is appointed by a congregation of the political parties and some selected people who had received media attention. :rolleyes:
Hm . . . seems Austrian rulers like your way better? Pay attention to the wording! "Erste Stimmen" (First voices) that means a lot are to follow . . .

First Voices from the ÖVP question direct election of the Federal President

Jakob Wolf, the ÖVP's Tyrolean club chairman, is considering a model similar to that in Germany. There, the Federal Assembly elects the Federal President

The whole article can be found here.

standard.jpeg

Juli (Austria's 'First Dog') has joined the fray in the country's 2022 presidential election campaign supporting her master's bid for re-election on October 9.

With the help of a human interpreter she describes her life with President Alexander van der Bellen ('Sascha') and of course his lovely wife Doris.

As the president is a member of the Austrian Greens, Juli really rubs it in for her (his) voters:

"Nature is important, especially trees! I love trees. Not only dogs need trees." 🐶

Finally: Vote van der Bellen. Bellen.
(Bellen could be mistranslated as 'barking')

Hi norma and thank you again.
Maybe the term "sell our country and people" was not propper choosen.
I only think, that they not work in the faver of the people.
But than again, who will make it different then that?
So maybe it is not relevant who will get elected, only it should not be VdB.
So like i agreed with my collegues at work, after talking about that, we althogether agreed also on Rosenkranz.
So let us vote and afterwards lean back and enjoy the show.

Well, that was it. I did not want to know the result of the elections today, better in the morning, I thought.
But I was traveling in the restaurant car of a train - which often is a nice thing to do - and one guy shouted out: "We have a new old president, 54% up til now +/- 2 %!"
And then I asked: "Well, are we happy about that?" And all around me said:"Yes, of course - he guarantees us stability!" So I knew what kind of people they were - it is not always so, sometimes you find ones that you can agree with!
That nice English guy across from me even compared him with the Queen. But with a lot of joking remarks.I could "convince" him that he was terribly wrong.
The people of the movement against him are sad and even a little bit shocked. I also would have preferred to have at least a second voting. But, yes, so it is.
VsB will probably not be able to make the full 6 years due to his health and whether we ever get the opportunity again to vote for a president is to be asked.
We are probably getting again the mask duty next week, because the Covid-Hysteria has not ended in Austria.
So, as @Claus reminded us: "Sit back and enjoy the show"

I found this on fb and it really made me laugh! It is so typical especially for Viennese poeple!
oida.jpeg

For the non Austrians: "Oida" means in German "Alter" in the sense of an old man which is the explanation for non-German speakers as well, I think

Ther is a new article on tkp.at:

ÖVP-Ermittlungen: Österreichs Regierung am Rande des Abgrunds (ÖVP investigations: Austria's government on the brink of the abyss)

The headline says:
Does the latest scandal surrounding the ÖVP investigation finally herald new elections? There is a lot to be said for it, but for other reasons than those given.

First I wanted to summerize it, but i think it fits better with the whole thing:

Austria's political-media complex has just forgotten about Covid and Putin: Because it's all about Sebastian Kurz and his intimate Thomas Schmid again. Schmid, who until yesterday was treated as a felon by the media and the parliamentary opposition, now wants to be a state witness, probably to save his skin, and some already see Kurz in prison.

Kurz and no end
Even if this were to happen, it would take many years. Karl-Heinz Grasser still occupies the political-media complex and the judiciary. That Kurz is threatened with a Grasser fate cannot be ruled out, but Grasser is still not in prison.

And it would undoubtedly take more evidence than a statement by Schmid, who, as we know, likes to talk (or write) a lot. But that is the superficial story that emerges from Schmid's testimony at the Economic and Corruption Prosecutor's Office. A small part of the deep, many-coloured swamp of the Second Republic is being scrutinised more closely. Fair enough, but probably not very substantial.

The script
Important contexts surrounding the small political world
of Vienna's 1st district are also almost universally suppressed. Some points should be taken into consideration when it comes to the current media outrage. And if you observe closely, you might think it is just the next act of a script.

For there is an enormously suspicious timing: Enough media makers who like to boast about their contacts with the judiciary could have published the new developments even before the election on 9 October. The new wave of indignation would certainly not have done the Van der Bellen 2 project any good. But now the old green man is back in the Hofburg.

New elections could thus be calmly awaited, even if the FPÖ becomes the strongest party. The odds are not bad at all, especially if Pamela Rendi-Wagner were to lead the SPÖ into an election campaign. But even then a government will be sworn in that has to be halfway in line. Even if the FPÖ has to be hemmed in to do so, or there will be a government "against the right". But we are still a long way from that.

The Greens, the kingmakers, are the decision-makers.

This is where the next circumstance comes into play, why some suspect that we are now really living through the last days (or weeks) of the first ÖVP-Green government. After the presidential election, the migration issue was played up. It has been simmering there for some time. But now, by having the Minister of the Interior accommodate refugees and immigrants in tents, the ÖVP is again putting the Greens under pressure.

Welcoming people regardless of their reasons is a core element of the Greens' party programme. Pressure against the tent action also came immediately from the Green base. And the migration issue will remain hot for the next few months and could even really start to boil, should a new large-scale flight movement from Ukraine come.

Unlike Corona, Austria's proximity to NATO or the EU's war course, migration is the issue that could lead to the end of the coalition. Precisely because the Greens are the way they are. The Green kingmaker, he could jump off. Or can Kogler, Maurer and Gewessler really pacify the party, just with the argument that the judiciary must investigate in peace?

One more remark on the investigations by the WKStA:

René Benko, at whose Signa Holding a house search has now been carried out (the order for the house search has been published) in connection with Thomas Schmid, not only has the best connections to Kurz. Alfred Gusenbauer, against whose appearance in the "Ibiza U Committee" (which triggered the whole investigation) the SPÖ has always massively opposed, sits on the supervisory board of Signa. As does Susanne Riess-Passer, former FPÖ vice-chancellor. For building projects in the Republic, people always like to fall back on Signa. Especially in Vienna. To reduce Benko to the Turkish ÖVP would be far too short-sighted.
-translatet with deepL.com
So sit back and enjoy. 🙃

Ther is a new article on tkp.at:

ÖVP-Ermittlungen: Österreichs Regierung am Rande des Abgrunds (ÖVP investigations: Austria's government on the brink of the abyss)

The headline says:

First I wanted to summerize it, but i think it fits better with the whole thing:

So sit back and enjoy. 🙃
A friend who is very good in understanding politics said that they have been trying to kill the ÖVP for a long time, maybe Pamela Rendi to follow in combination with Greens. :-O:wow::evil::lol::lol::lol:

2 remarkable events - at least for me 🥰 !
1. The death of Dietrich Mateschitz - 49% owner of the Red Bull company makes me wonder how things will go on in Austria. He was a very very rich man but stuck to his own country. Meaning: He payed his taxes in Austria - which a lot of rich men avoid to do - and also invested a lot of money in Austria.
Obviously he did something good for sports and other things but the main thing is: He founded "Servus.tv". That was the best TV-channel we got here during the Covid Times. The satirical weekly show "Wegscheider" is one that is speaking the truth (I am sorry, but this is only understandable for the German speaking members, not able to translate this show to English!) and many people were watching this channel and leaving the Austrian Government TV ORF.
I hope he made a good testament or whatever it is called so that we will be able to have this channel furthermore.

2. I was attending a demonstration in Vienna last Saturday.
A little bit sad. Only 500-700 people were there. It was organized by fairdenken.at. They obviously had some problems with the location. Due to our national day on October 26th the Austrian Armed Forces required the place he first rented.
What made me happy: 1 Russian Flag and 1 guy with a self made cap with the russian colours. I talked to both of them. No need to go into details with them, because after our first words we totally agreed. And we had a Mexican flag there and a Czech one, too.
I was talking to one guy from Bündnisgrundrechte.at (a lawyer) and learned about our constitution and how it could be made better.
Another guy was talking to the people that were watching us and explaining the reason for our demonstration. According to his report people agreed and supported our reasons.
Since there were so few people I decided to participate the next demonstrations whenever possible

Just a note, that I feel a little sad today. In Paris and Prague - maybe some other cities I do not know - hundred thousand people on the streets. In Austria? Saturday 22nd in Vienna: 500 persons, yesterday in Linz 30-50. Hm.

I was banned from facebook for two days because I called the Austrians "sleeping sheeps". But in fact sleeping sheeps are very cute, aren't they? - I have to post this picture just to cheer me up a little!! :-D;-D;-D
schlafschaf.jpeg

Just a note, that I feel a little sad today. In Paris and Prague - maybe some other cities I do not know - hundred thousand people on the streets. In Austria? Saturday 22nd in Vienna: 500 persons, yesterday in Linz 30-50. Hm.

I was banned from facebook for two days because I called the Austrians "sleeping sheeps". But in fact sleeping sheeps are very cute, aren't they? - I have to post this picture just to cheer me up a little!! :-D;-D;-D
View attachment 66259
Banned for cuteness? What's next. :-D

And now austria again joins the nazi agenda...
Austria votet against the anti neo-nazi resolution, that makes me sad.
How short lasting the learnings from history are..... :-( 😢

Back
Top Bottom